PDA

View Full Version : quick show of hands...how many of you knew who Ryan Tannehill was durring the season?

Dmarino110
04-25-2012, 06:51 AM
I didnt...My college football is limited to games played by UCF and ND...

That being said a lot of you are so desparate for a qb that you are accepting the BS that the media is feeding you...And they are feeding it to you because they know whos goinging 1 and 2...if they didnt know RG3 was going 2, he would be the QB you never stop hearing about...but they know, and so they have to push another QB...

I dont want a system QB...Luck is not a system QB, Manning (either of them) is not a system QB, Brady is not a sytem QB...I want a qb that can be thrown into the fire day 1...but we keep looking to draft people that cant be used day 1...beck was a project, henne was a project and look how they turned out...we dont have 4 years for tannehill to sit behind favre (moore) and become the next arron rodgers (yes they had to change rodger's mechanics and it worked because he sat and practiced for 4 years)

get a playmaker and then draft a real 1st rounder next year, not one that has been over hyped by the media as one...

I am predicting tannehill has a rodgers or quinn like fall on thursday...

Nublar7
04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
I am a big college football fan, so I knew of Tannehill during the season.

67Stang
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Yep, he is a high 2nd low third at best....I hope we don't over reach!

SnakeoilSeller
04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Most didn't know who RGIII was until November.

67Stang
04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
I put him right there with Mallet talent wise, drafted a bit earlier because he doesn't have the character issues.

Dmarino110
04-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I am a big college football fan, so I knew of Tannehill during the season.and did you think durring the season he was worth a top 10 pick?

yolli71
04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I knew the name, but I never watched him play.

houtz
04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I did

jlfin
04-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Yep, he is a high 2nd low third at best....I hope we don't over reach!

You are under evaluating him. Actually the truth is somewhere in the middle between 15-25. Had he started more games and had a longer resume, he would be a top 15 pick.

jlfin
04-25-2012, 08:07 AM

That being said a lot of you are so desparate for a qb that you are accepting the BS that the media is feeding you...And they are feeding it to you because they know whos goinging 1 and 2...if they didnt know RG3 was going 2, he would be the QB you never stop hearing about...but they know, and so they have to push another QB...

I dont want a system QB...Luck is not a system QB, Manning (either of them) is not a system QB, Brady is not a sytem QB...I want a qb that can be thrown into the fire day 1...but we keep looking to draft people that cant be used day 1...beck was a project, henne was a project and look how they turned out...we dont have 4 years for tannehill to sit behind favre (moore) and become the next arron rodgers (yes they had to change rodger's mechanics and it worked because he sat and practiced for 4 years)

get a playmaker and then draft a real 1st rounder next year, not one that has been over hyped by the media as one...

For a person who admittedly doesn't follow much college football you are very presumptuous.

Zounds
04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I knew of him, but never watched him.

Ed Norton
04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I did and half way through the season I thought the best option was to suck for Luck but what do I know I'm just another bad fan.

I agree it's BS the media is feeding us. The scary thing is I get the feeling a lot of teams are buying it.

PaPhinz
04-25-2012, 08:11 AM
He was my backup QB on my fantasy team last year, I had him though before that as one of my WR's.

209Mason
04-25-2012, 08:12 AM
For me College football is #1 and NFL a close second, so I remember him back when he was playing receiver in his first couple of years.
He's only had one full year at QB so I think a top 10 pick overall is a huge reach imho. I think he's a 20-28 pick.

I may be completely wrong, only time will tell. But we've clearly not capitalized on our high first round picks over the years which is why we are where we are now. We've been in the toilet for a decade now and pretty much only have Jake Long to show for it at this point.

Dmarino110
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
For me College football is #1 and NFL a close second, so I remember him back when he was playing receiver in his first couple of years.
He's only had one full year at QB so I think a top 10 pick overall is a huge reach imho. I think he's a 20-28 pick.

I may be completely wrong, only time will tell. But we've clearly not capitalized on our high first round picks over the years which is why we are where we are now. We've been in the toilet for a decade now and pretty much only have Jake Long to show for it at this point.
and if we could trade back and get him later I say great, but I dont like the idea of drafting a project top 10...Top 10 you draft an immediate contributor IMO...

dolfan91
04-25-2012, 08:36 AM
The FX Channel on Directv televises the Division Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma and Texas A&M play in so i got to see many of A&M 's games over the last 2 seasons. So yes I have heard of Tannehill. It was clear to me he improved from his play of 2010. He looked like an Starting Caliber NFL QB. I liked his skill set and became a Tannehill fan. I was wishing that Miami would draft him. I never thought, he possibly could be, drafted in the top 10 due to his lack of experience, but did recognize he had talent.

MDphinfan02
04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
For all of you not liking the idea of drafting him in top ten... better get used to it within the next day cause its happening

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Had heard his name mentioned as entering the draft............but at that time he was NOT being mentioned at the 3rd best QB as Barkley and Jones were still in consideration.

hooshoops
04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
frankly if you didn't know who he was i don't care to hear your take now...

ROADRUNNER
04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
No way he should go in the first round........
If Barkley and Jones came out this year it would look like this.....Luck, Barkley,RG3,Jones, Tannehill.

So Tannehill would be the 5th QB taken, and some people are scared he might get picked at #4 come on people.
He's not worth #4 & #8 & even the first round, so when we pick someone else at #8 or trade back to #10-12 and still not pick him, dont all go murder suicide on us, the team know what there doing, so stay calm and stick with the dolphins, we will get there..............

hooshoops
04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
jones wouldn't be ahead of tannehill...jones is a statue...in todays nfl that doesn't work very well...not to mention jones was garbage in 2011...nfl teams love upside jones doesn't have near the upside of a ryan tannehill...i saw jones throw the ball into more coverage and stare down more guys this year to the point it made me sick people were hyping that kid as a high 1st round qb...

datruth55
04-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I would take Ryan Tannehill over Landry Jones any freakin day of the week.

ChambersWI
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I knew who he was when he was A&M's best WR. I knew him when he became a QB prospect, and before the season I know him when some draft people said he had the potential to become a top 10 pick.

J Tes
04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Yes, I did know and had seen Ryan Tannehill play prior to this past season and to those of you that like Landry Jones over Tannehill, you clearly haven't seen both of them play. You want to see someone that is overrated and most likely is going to be overdrafted next season, look no further than Landry Jones

TheWarriorFins
04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
The only reason why we know him now is because Barkley and Landry opted out. The hype for who's next on the list is amazing. Media would of hyped Jones a lot more then Ryan

datruth55
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
The only reason why we know him now is because Barkley and Landry opted out. The hype for who's next on the list is amazing. Media would of hyped Jones a lot more then Ryan
Might be the only reason YOU know about him but not all of us. I watched him plenty during the season and even commented on him in these forums.

67Stang
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
You are under evaluating him. Actually the truth is somewhere in the middle between 15-25. Had he started more games and had a longer resume, he would be a top 15 pick.
Same with Akili Smith right? I can't think of one single QB in the NFL that made a switch to QB so late and had success.....not one single QB in the history on the NFL. I for one am not wanting to waste a number 8 pick on a position it takes years to master. We need a great player at number 8 with the team we have, not a big question mark.

dolfan91
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Same with Akili Smith right? I can't think of one single QB in the NFL that made a switch to QB so late and had success.....not one single QB in the history on the NFL. I for one am not wanting to waste a number 8 pick on a position it takes years to master. We need a great player at number 8 with the team we have, not a big question mark.

Your analysis is what makes me realize Tannehill @ #8 could be disastrous!!! It's the same analysis of Junior QB's who leave early to enter the NFL draft. Not many have any success. If history repeats it's self, drafting Tannehill will kill this franchise!!! I love Tannehill and the talent he has, but, am extremely nervous he will never realize his potential. Perhaps if he was drafted in the mid to later part of round #1 I'd wouldn't be so scared!!!

TedSlimmJr
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

It's not only that... top 10 picks at the quarterback position don't get their coaches fired. It's never happened. It shouldn't suprise anybody to see Miami be the first to do it.

It's not all on Tannehill, but the point is Tannehill's play most certainly didn't save Sherman's job. That's what frachise quarterback prospects do.. they save jobs. That's what makes them special as college players.

At the very least, they prevent the guy from being run out on a rail.

MadDog 88
04-25-2012, 11:49 AM
So a guy with limited knowledge of college football writes an opinion on a subject he knows nothing about. :bobdole:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fl30q4

TheWalrus
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Ok. So, you admit to your own ignorance on this matter and then accuse others of just believing what the media tells them?

Well played, sir.

TheBow305
04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I watched almost every single A&M game this year and am a big fan of this guy. I will also attest that he is probably a reach in the top 10, based on his ability to contribute right away. But based on ability alone, he is DEFINITELY worth the pick. McShay thinks given a year or two of proper developing, he could be a top 12 QB in this league, and I tend to agree with him. I find it disgraceful that most of the people on this board arguing against him probably dont even watch College Football very much, or have watched 2 or 3 complete games from Tannehill at QB.

I think it would be a solid pickup and will be the pick if Sherman deems him the guy for this franchise. I will also say, I agree with Mayock in that if Sherman is not absolutely pounding the table for this guy, then I would take BPA. For me, that is Quinton Coples. I think it will be one of those two.

TedSlimmJr
04-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I watched almost every single A&M game this year and am a big fan of this guy. I will also attest that he is probably a reach in the top 10, based on his ability to contribute right away. But based on ability alone, he is DEFINITELY worth the pick. McShay thinks given a year or two of proper developing, he could be a top 12 QB in this league, and I tend to agree with him. I find it disgraceful that most of the people on this board arguing against him probably dont even watch College Football very much, or have watched 2 or 3 complete games from Tannehill at QB.

I think it would be a solid pickup and will be the pick if Sherman deems him the guy for this franchise. I will also say, I agree with Mayock in that if Sherman is not absolutely pounding the table for this guy, then I would take BPA. For me, that is Quinton Coples. I think it will be one of those two.

I find this post a bit disingenuous on the basis that most of the people who argue against him in the top 10 haven't watched college football, or specifically done very thorough work on Ryan Tannehill and Texas A&M in general. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

Most of the people who pound the table for him are the one's that don't watch college football and haven't seen him play. They're the one's listening to Todd McShay and subscribe to the hype, and you proved my point ahead of time.

I'm also a big fan of Ryan Tannehill, but I don't believe he's worth passing up elite talent. In my opinion he's the 2nd best QB prospect out of his own conference in this draft. A conference that doesn't produce quality NFL quarterbacks to begin with.

jlfin
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM

I didn't realize that Tannehill was Akili Smith's clone. I thought they were genetically 2 different people. I think an intelligent talent evaluator looks at each player as an individual and then weighs the pros and cons of drafting them. I'vever met or interviewed RT so I don't know how he processes the information he sees on the field and that is what matters most and what separates the franchise QB's from everyone else. Akili Smith didn't fail in the NFL because he was a one yr wonder in college. He failed because he didn't have the intellect or mental makeup to master the position at the NFL level. With respect to RT, only Philbin, McCarthy and Ireland can determine whether he possesses the requisite skills above the neck to handle the position. I will defer to them.

67Stang
04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
I didn't realize that Tannehill was Akili Smith's clone. I thought they were genetically 2 different people. I think an intelligent talent evaluator looks at each player as an individual and then weighs the pros and cons of drafting them. I'vever met or interviewed RT so I don't know how he processes the information he sees on the field and that is what matters most and what separates the franchise QB's from everyone else. Akili Smith didn't fail in the NFL because he was a one yr wonder in college. He failed because he didn't have the intellect or mental makeup to master the position at the NFL level. With respect to RT, only Philbin, McCarthy and Ireland can determine whether he possesses the requisite skills above the neck to handle the position. I will defer to them.
Smith was just an example of a a QB who came to the posisition late, had really good success at the college level and sucked in the NFL. I am not saying they are the same, I am saying that it not just only rarely happens that a late bloomer QB has success in the NFL.......IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!

TheBow305
04-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I find this post a bit disingenuous on the basis that most of the people who argue against him in the top 10 haven't watched college football, or specifically done very thorough work on Ryan Tannehill and Texas A&M in general. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

Most of the people who pound the table for him are the one's that don't watch college football and haven't seen him play. They're the one's listening to Todd McShay and subscribe to the hype, and you proved my point ahead of time.

I'm also a big fan of Ryan Tannehill, but I don't believe he's worth passing up elite talent. In my opinion he's the 2nd best QB prospect out of his own conference in this draft. A conference that doesn't produce quality NFL quarterbacks to begin with.

I understand what you are saying. I think what I meant to say or what I mean is that I think the people that don't know and haven't truly done their work on Tannehill whether they like him or don't should respectfully keep their opinions to themselves. Leave the decisions to the guys who know him best. And I realize we live in a free country and this is a forum to speak your minds, but at least don't get so fired up about it. If you truly don't know what you are talking about, then don't try to get everyone all riled up for no reason other than to just feed your own ego. I feel like that's what a good portion of fans on this forum do and it's completely unnecessary. I for one feel he is worth a look at #8 based on all the games I've watched and people I've listened to, but I'll leave that up to the coach who knows him best, Mike Sherman. And like I've been suggesting all along, if Sherman is 100% behind the kid or the other way around, I give him my uttermost support in the decision to take or not take Ryan.

finfan54
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I put him right there with Mallet talent wise, drafted a bit earlier because he doesn't have the character issues.

OMG! He is way better than Mallett in two ways. Athleticism and character. T-hill will work to be the best.

Roman529
04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Nobody heard of Tom Brady, QB, Michigan either....and he turned out ok. Just chill everyone and be happy when we take Tannehill at #8. :woot:

mrbunglez
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I've been on the Tannehill train since he fully started as a QB was hoping for big things from him last season but it kinda didn't, he was my 3rd choice as QB after Luck and Barkley. Never jumped on the RG3 train. Now that I'm thinking of it I don't even know if I'd take Barkley over him, them USC QBs are a trainwreck. Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, if that's the Same tree Barkley is cut from I say stay away.

TedSlimmJr
04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Nobody heard of Tom Brady, QB, Michigan either....and he turned out ok. Just chill everyone and be happy when we take Tannehill at #8. :woot:

Anybody that watched the 1999 Citrus Bowl vs. Arkansas, 2000 Orange Bowl vs. Alabama, or any of the half dozen 4th quarter comeback wins he led in the Big-10 as a Senior knew who he was.

He set school passing records his first season as a starter at Michigan. He made a kid like David Terrell a top 10 pick.

Brady was one of the most clutch quarterbacks in college that have ever played. The more pressure packed the situation, the better Brady played. Everything he did from a drop-back, footwork, ball handling, pre/post snap read and recognition standpoint, and how to deal with pressure was absolutely textbook. How he fell to the 6th round is one of the biggest draft blunders in history, and unexplainable.

If anyone ever wants to see all those games in their entirety, just ask.

As a matter of fact, I think everyone should be required to take some time and study Tom Brady's Michigan games in order to understand what a potential elite NFL caliber quarterback is supposed to look like. Everyone needs to watch every single one of them in full, and then convince themselves that this guy was a late round flyer who got lucky in the NFL.

This kid was an elite player in college.

Valandui
04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't claim to be a draft guru at all. Far from it. I have been saying he would end up a first round pick for most of the season. I even started doing the Trailin' for Tannehill thing around the time we won our third game.

ROADRUNNER
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't claim to be a draft guru at all. Far from it. I have been saying he would end up a first round pick for most of the season. I even started doing the Trailin' for Tannehill thing around the time we won our third game.

Yes you did, but i hope your wrong..............

MP-Omnis
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
The only reason I knew about Tannehill was because Von Miller was an aggie.

Also never heard of RG3 until the TCU game.

Valandui
04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes you did, but i hope your wrong..............

It started as a joke aimed at the "win games now and the draft will work itself out" crowd, but I always thought that he was the third best QB behind Luck and Weeden once Barkley stayed in school.

67Stang
04-25-2012, 07:34 PM
If you want to take the chance with a number 8 pick that T-hill will be the first QB in THE HISTORY of the NFL to have success when becoming a QB so late, then draft him. I'd say you have a better chance for a scratch off for 10 million bucks. At least that has happened before.

chilenodolfan
04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
No clue

Awsi Dooger
04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Sure. As a bettor you get to know these guys, often unintentionally. The guy standing next to you in a sportsbook might launch a tirade against a player and you realize...yeah, that's the guy who screwed me last week, I hate him too.

Tannehill has actually been very good to me, as primarily a first half bettor. I really didn't understand the commotion this season. The second half is a circus. Best of luck projecting that. Every time there's a, "Can you believe that?" moment, invariably it happened during the second half. That will be true decades from now.

Most of all, I remember Tannehill from late 2010. A string of wins placed Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl against LSU. The game was pick-em. That game can't be pick-em. LSU had considerably more talent and was rated much higher in preseason. The gap between conferences, particularly defensively, was overwhelming.

Tannehill and A&M started the game in chirpy fashion. Jumping all over the place. I think it was 10-0. Then the young LSU defensive backs, and overall talent level, started getting to Tannehill. He made several high profile gaffes and LSU managed to reel in Texas A&M in time to rescue my first half bet and game bet. The final margin was a semi-rout.

That game is emblematic of the reason I wouldn't be thrilled with Tannehill. Texas A&M was only pick-em with LSU based on late hoopla, not foundational logic. I'd love to take a quarterback at 8 who was rated there prior to the season. Otherwise it smacks against my core beliefs. Among these guys, a year ago it was Luck and others. IMO, there's a big chance it will turn out that way.

fishbanger
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
RGIII was not that great the year before last. I never heard of him then either until this year. All I have to say is look at the tape and Tannehill looks better then any Miami dolphins QB I have seen since Mariono retired. I think that says enough about why phins should draft him.

JCane
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Sooooo....

Let me see if I have this straight by the OP...

OP doesn't watch college football....

But the OP knows that the media is feeding us bull**** on Ryan Tannehill because he watched so much college football?

Makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

jasonlbjg
04-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Had no idea who he was till I knew we had no chance for RGIII.