PDA

View Full Version : 3 years from now " I'm mad we didn't draft ______ because we had to draft tannehill!"

BESS4LAST
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Barron

datruth55
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
3 years from now "I'm glad we got our QB of the future in Ryan Tannehill!"

Miamifinz
04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I'll get back to you three years from now.

J Tes
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
isn't this just another way to word just about every other thread on in this forum right now? Whats any different from this and "who do you want to hears name called" etc.?

oasis
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Kuechly

Fin Thirteen
04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
It's not a fair question. The QB failure rate is so much higher than other positions. The odds aren't great that Tanny will work out, but the only way to make sure you don't pick a bad QB in R1 is never pick one (and look how that's working out for us).

WaxOn WaxOff
04-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Weeden.

ChambersWI
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
honestly only 2 guys I consider as options are Malcolm Floyd and Luke Kuechley. I like Tannehill and feel with the right coaching, he'll develop into something special. But man, passing on Kuechley is kind of hard for me.

mmikel30
04-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Statistics say that only one sometimes two qb's turn out to be something in a draft!

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

honestly only 2 guys I consider as options are Malcolm Floyd and Luke Kuechley. I like Tannehill and feel with the right coaching, he'll develop into something special. But man, passing on Kuechley is kind of hard for me.I think you mean Michael Floyd

ChambersWI
04-26-2012, 01:49 PM
yeah I do, brain fart

dan the fin
04-26-2012, 02:06 PM
It's not a fair question. The QB failure rate is so much higher than other positions. The odds aren't great that Tanny will work out, but the only way to make sure you don't pick a bad QB in R1 is never pick one (and look how that's working out for us).

Pretty much this. How long have the Fin's be trying to rebuild into a true contender? Well pretty much since the end of Marino. To me the biggest thing of a rebuild is you have to find a QB to build around. 29 year and counting that we have not drafted a QB in the first. That has lead to us having more starting QB then any other team since Marino left. Today's NFL is a QB driven league. Guys that I feel were reaches in the first round over the years, Avery, Ginn, Fletcher, Allen, and Carey. That's just my opinion and off the top of my head. We can reach for all different positions but not going to take a chance at a QB, which is by far the most important position.

I am to the point were, well we have not be a true contender in forever because of a lack of a QB. You build around QB's today, F it and draft one every year in the first if need be till you have that guy to build around.

We all can agree that you must win a playoff game to at least even be a contender right? Well here is some very good stats to think about.
Draft a first-round quarterback and you have a 34.4 percent chance to win at least one playoff game within a decade with him. Take one in rounds two through seven and there's a 1.9 percent chance. We clear about the long odds of second-round quarterbacks now? 1.9% chance to win one playoff game with in 10 years, those odds just suck.

Also a ton of good players that are not QB's come from the second round yet Mia has wasted 5 second round picks on QB's (3 drafted, 2 traded).

SammySmif
04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
honestly only 2 guys I consider as options are Malcolm Floyd and Luke Kuechley. I like Tannehill and feel with the right coaching, he'll develop into something special. But man, passing on Kuechley is kind of hard for me.

Yeah I can make peace with losing floyd if they think tannehill is ready. And I don't mean sitting the guy for a year, but letting him compete day 1. We should have the Oline, plus the offense is new, so no QB really knows it well yet anyway. If tannehill has the talent to come out and start for the team this season, go get him. If not..don't. That is what Cameron did, Luck and RG3 will do..Smith did, Matty Ice..Bradford did..Dalton..etc. You get my point. A 1st round top 10 pick at QB needs to be able to start year 1 or it's a bad decision.

But if we pass on Kuechly, we have failed miserably.

ROADRUNNER
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
All in for DeCastro............

dan the fin
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah I can make peace with losing floyd if they think tannehill is ready. And I don't mean sitting the guy for a year, but letting him compete day 1. We should have the Oline, plus the offense is new, so no QB really knows it well yet anyway. If tannehill has the talent to come out and start for the team this season, go get him. If not..don't. That is what Cameron did, Luck and RG3 will do..Smith did, Matty Ice..Bradford did..Dalton..etc. You get my point. A 1st round top 10 pick at QB needs to be able to start year 1 or it's a bad decision.

But if we pass on Kuechly, we have failed miserably.
Why do they have to start first year? So if they are top ten picks and don't play for a year they are worse then guys that don't end up as good? If that QB sits for a year is developed right and becomes a top ten type QB for 10 years he is probably worth more then any other guy you could have drafted top ten. How are most our other top ten guys doing that we not QB's? Long is great but he was at the least bust position of all. Brown was an avergae back that was hurt all the time. Ginn was a WR that was afraid of the other teams water boy. If your a team that has not had a legit QB in almost 15 years, if you are going to miss on a top 10 pick may as well be a QB. Mia has taken only 3 QB's in the first ever (2 hall of famers), there is a reason we have became a joke to other teams.

dr.jake
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
probably be kicking ourselves over mark barron or fletcher cox.
unfortunately i think we have to spend #8 on offense and probably o-line again to get best value.

kvado16
04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
3 years from now Tannehill will be a star, enough said.

Miamifin23
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Qb trumps all positions and if Tannehill has the potential to be the one then we can't pass

cullenbigcstill
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Its the exact same thing GB fans said some years back! Remember he was the consensus #2 QB, behind Alex Smith, who fell all the way down to 24, remember he was a Jeff Tedford QB and all his QB's suck??? Same thing every team thinks when they draft a QB high, the fear is there, and its real, but if you keep drafting scared like the Dolphins have done every year, you continue to have a flawed team, No QB many holes....yes-QB, less holes, a QB makes every one on offense better, and makes a defense better to, just look at the 2010 colts defense to the 2011 colts defense.

dan the fin
04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Its the exact same thing GB fans said some years back! Remember he was the consensus #2 QB, behind Alex Smith, who fell all the way down to 24, remember he was a Jeff Tedford QB and all his QB's suck??? Same thing every team thinks when they draft a QB high, the fear is there, and its real, but if you keep drafting scared like the Dolphins have done every year, you continue to have a flawed team, No QB many holes....yes-QB, less holes, a QB makes every one on offense better, and makes a defense better to, just look at the 2010 colts defense to the 2011 colts defense.
This is just it, its a new NFL and Mia is way behind the curve. Back in the day when you could hit the QB all day, WR's could be held up and hit it was a different style of game. With all the new rules that make passing just easier then it use to be its very very hard to win with out a QB. Only way to do it is with just absolutely dominant D, and I don't mean a very very good D, I mean a very very great D. A franchise QB is worth so much more then a dominate player at any other position on the field. To me if you don't have a top QB and there is one with only a 15% chance of becoming that use still roll the dice, over a DE with a 70% chance at being a top guy. Even more so now with caped rookie contracts cause if you miss it does not hurt long term near as much as it use to.

I also think with the way teams can alter their offences these days you get your QB first then find the right players to fit around him.

dr.jake
04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
i'm pretty sure green bay wouldn't have drafted rodgers had they picked #8.

dan the fin
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
i'm pretty sure green bay wouldn't have drafted rodgers had they picked #8.

Maybe not but they also had a franchise QB, and at that time and top ten QB's cost a lot of money at the time totally different situations. Funny thing is they took a QB in the first with a franchise QB already, yet Mia is still living in the 70/80's and won't pick a QB in the first. 29 years with out taking a QB in the first.

fishbanger
04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
3 years from now we will still be drafting in the top 10 and looking for a QB if we dont draft one in this draft.
barron is going to be a stud and would fit a need with great player.

PJack
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Maybe not but they also had a franchise QB, and at that time and top ten QB's cost a lot of money at the time totally different situations. Funny thing is they took a QB in the first with a franchise QB already, yet Mia is still living in the 70/80's and won't pick a QB in the first. 29 years with out taking a QB in the first.

Think the issue there is that it's easier to roll the dice on a developmental QB when you already have a hall of famer starting. No one would called Rogers a big failure because they were set at QB for the next 3-4 years. In my mind, if we take Tannehill, he MUST play at least 4-6 games next year to even see if he has long term NFP potential. Otherwise, are we really going to pass up one of 3-4 QB's likely to be drafted in the top ten next year betting that Tannehill might develop. It's a possible 4-5 year mistake if we do and Tannehill flops. No guarantees but Tannehill has a lot of question marks for a top 8 pick.

Phinatic8u
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM

We already did it with Willis, who IMO was a better prospect that Kuechley, who by no means is a slouch

Anvil35
04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Fletcher Cox or Luke Keuchly.

Danny
04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Barron

so you want a safety at 8?....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Phinatic8u
04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
so you want a safety at 8?....lol

Ozzy rules!!

No, he isn't Eric Berry.

dan the fin
04-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Think the issue there is that it's easier to roll the dice on a developmental QB when you already have a hall of famer starting. No one would called Rogers a big failure because they were set at QB for the next 3-4 years. In my mind, if we take Tannehill, he MUST play at least 4-6 games next year to even see if he has long term NFP potential. Otherwise, are we really going to pass up one of 3-4 QB's likely to be drafted in the top ten next year betting that Tannehill might develop. It's a possible 4-5 year mistake if we do and Tannehill flops. No guarantees but Tannehill has a lot of question marks for a top 8 pick.

Why do people think the the coach staff that watches the kid every day can't tell if he has long term NFL potential without him being in the game. If you are not sold with Tanny and Barkley is on the board take him and if both develop well you can trade one for picks. Look at what some back-ups with just a few flashes have brought back in trade. Plus Mia screws up a lot of 1st round pick no matter what for once at least take a chance at a QB. Plus with rookie scale missing on a QB is not a 4-5 year mistake anymore. Until you have a QB you are not doing a lot in this league anymore. That's why you see teams picking QB's way before their draft grade and trading picks for back-ups, cause they know you need a QB. Mia just is way behind the learning curve. Just absolute stupidity to go 29 years without picking a QB in the first round, when you have not had crap at QB in 15 years, Hence Mia is a joke to most other fans and have been non factor team for years.

Vheod
04-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Quinton Coples even though I very much want to be wrong.

BARF
04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
floyd or ingram, we could have actually traded down gotten some picks, and still tannehill around 14, none of the teams there needed a qb, way to go ireland

Dr. Phin
04-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Easy...Luke.

We absolutely blew this pick. We filled a "need" instead of taking the BPA. We ****ed up.

EJay
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
We absolutely blew this pick. We filled a "need" instead of taking the BPA. We ****ed up.

Truth. They bought into the hype that they needed to draft a QB with their 1st round pick. While I agree that they need a QB, I disagree that they had to draft one in the first round. Tannehill did not have first round value. Neither did Weeden. Both Cleveland and Miami made serious and unnecessary reaches. The Dolphins were better off taking Kuechly, Floyd, or DeCastro and possibly looking at a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. If the value wasn't there, look to Matt Barkley or someone else next season. You should never reach for needs. If they really were so deadset on getting a QB in round 1, they should have made the type of deal Washington made to get RG3. If you're going to go for it, really go for it with a guy that had a first round grade.

JRYCRL
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Exactly, not all the way down to #8. Taking this guy at 8 with all our problems will make have us staring at Landry Jones and Barkely as we won't win 5 games this year. Needed to trade back, even if it was for additional 4th or 5th or 6th round picks. Jeez, look what the Patriots, Jets, and Steelers got at the back of the first round. I'd rather have ANYBODY on this board who didn't want to take Tannehill at 8 select the rest of this draft instead of Ireland. I'd have taken him at 14 or lower IF we'd have been able to land another pick. I'm quite positive there was somebody willing to give something but again, taking Tannehill at 8 was the worst kept secret in the draft after the first two selections.

Kdawg954
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Easy...Luke.

No chance. If you have any inkling that Tannehill can become a franchise QB . . . he shoots up as the BPA on the board. That is what happened here and Miami made the right decision.

When I hear these draft people on TV talk about at 15 or 20 he'd be a good pick, they are living in the stone age. At 15 or 20, you still think he has a chance to be a franchise QB . . . so whats the difference if you take him at 8? Makes no sense. Unfortunately Miami consistently passing on QB's over these years put them in the position where you pass on good talent elsewhere.

Kuechly would have been a great pick, but Tannehill was the best pick for Miami. You can't keep passing up QB's.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Truth. They bought into the hype that they needed to draft a QB with their 1st round pick. While I agree that they need a QB, I disagree that they had to draft one in the first round. Tannehill did not have first round value. Neither did Weeden. Both Cleveland and Miami made serious and unnecessary reaches. The Dolphins were better off taking Kuechly, Floyd, or DeCastro and possibly looking at a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. If the value wasn't there, look to Matt Barkley or someone else next season. You should never reach for needs. If they really were so deadset on getting a QB in round 1, they should have made the type of deal Washington made to get RG3. If you're going to go for it, really go for it with a guy that had a first round grade.

You can't say he didn't have first round value . . . you aren't the one making the pick, you aren't the one who coached him in college, you aren't the QB developer that Philbin is. They obviously view him as a franchise guy and FINALLY they have the people in place develop a QB into a franchise guy. I would have hated this pick under Sparano . . . love it under Philbin and Sherman.

rrrrphin
04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
He was the right pick for this franchise.

I don't get it when they say he needs to exercise better judgement. His decision making appears just fine:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1158213-ryan-tannehills-fiancee-see-pics-of-lauren-ufer#/articles/1158213-ryan-tannehills-fiancee-see-pics-of-lauren-ufer