PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Miami drafting Ryan Tannehill with the #8 pick

Da GODfather
04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Just wondering what everybody thinks about or draft selection?

Who is Thrilled?

Who is Happy/Glad?

Who is So/So?

Who is Upset?

Who is Pissed?

Me personally, i'm So/So. I like that the front office FINALLY grew a pair and made the move for a 1st round QB. I'm hoping that Sherman really knows what he's talking about. Still, can't help but be a little nervous. guess we'll see!!

LANGER72
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Hopefully we can do something positive with the rest of the draft....
I wanted a 1st round QB too, but I am not convinced that he will be anything special. I hope I am wrong.

JEDIJ007
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
man his GF is extra hot.

Patrick_Bateman
Just wondering what everybody thinks about or draft selection?

Who is Thrilled?

Who is Happy/Glad?

Who is So/So?

Who is Upset?

Who is Pissed?

Me personally, i'm So/So. I like that the front office FINALLY grew a pair and made the move for a 1st round QB. I'm hoping that Sherman really knows what he's talking about. Still, can't help but be a little nervous. guess we'll see!!

I'm so/so, I don't think we'll be seeing him on the field this year except for preseason, so it will be at least 2-3 years for me to develop a definitive opinion (unless somehow Matt Moore and Garrard get injured). You have people on here that love Tannehill and those that hate him, and then the rest in the middle. Truth be told, we won't know for a while.

elite14eva
time to get him some weapons

kvado16
Im completely thrilled. I can see this guy being a star. Anyone know when we can get his jersey?

normaldude
Terrible pick.

Ryan Tannehill isn't a 1st rd QB. He's a 2nd rd QB.

Just because we made a desperate reach, and took him in the 1st rd, doesn't make him a 1st rd talent.

ebcrew
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
pissed.. he obviously wont start this year, (or shouldnt start, not ready), had other needs especially the way Moore played last year..

The only thing i'll give Miami is that Sherman was his college coach, if he wasnt that pick is unexcusable

PolitePolite
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Terrible pick.

Ryan Tannehill isn't a 1st rd QB. He's a 2nd rd QB.

Just because we made a desperate reach, and took him in the 1st rd, doesn't make him a 1st rd talent.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Any fan who wanted him in the first round just wants ANY QB in the first round. Doesn't matter who it was. Is anybody actually excited about next year now?

silverfin
04-26-2012, 09:20 PM
My preference was a trade down, but I am happy with the pick and support Philbin, Sherman, Ireland et al.

Doctor Phibes
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm luke warm on Tannehill and I think we could have nabbed another pick but at least it's a QB - a difference making position. I was dreading Floyd at #8

Roman529
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
man his GF is extra hot.

Yeah she is....she is now his wife. I am happy with the pick.....we finally went balls up and took a QB in the 1st.

Geordie
04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
With all the trades going on, feels like a kick in the teeth for us to reach so high on this guy, we could have and should have gotten him lower or picked someone who will impact and will play from week 1. Perhaps the Cowboys moving up, and Barron re we picked, limited our trade partner options but the pressure is firmly on this kid right now going so high, if we don't start the season well the pressure will grow to push him into the strating job.

mrbunglez
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm in the damn thrilled crowd!

MadDog 88
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
He has a ton of potential and a couple guys who can groom a QB. Spending a year or two on the bench will be well worth the wait if he develops to his potential.

If this pick is made with Ireland and Sparano in charge I am sure it is met with a lot more hostility.

LANGER72
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
With all the trading going on in front of us, we just sat still watching the other GM's going after top 10 players, while we waited at #8 to reach for the number 19 prospect.

sinPHIN
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
love the pick. we have the right staff to build a young qb

Awsi Dooger
04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
My opinion is mock drafts are an increasingly worthless waste of time, given the new salary structure and therefore teams willing to bounce around. I'm thrilled I didn't look at a single mock throughout the process.

Tannehill is guesswork, as far as I'm concerned. I posted in the main forum a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't know what to expect. I prefer guys who were early blue chippers, regardless if they were later improperly downgraded. Tannehill was marginally high rated out of high school then redshirted and sat behind lesser talents. Every category is good but not great. I'd feel better about him if he were a self sure guy, like Tom Brady telling Robert Kraft that he just made the best decision of his life. Tannehill was passive on the Gruden quarterback camp and never flashed the type of athletic arrogance that Victor Cruz, for example, demonstrates on almost every play. He escapes then runs with level shoulders and doesn't look particularly aware or urgent. LSU made him look ordinary. I'm worried Tannehill might turn out to be a long term tease --- "Better than most" --- but not enough to legitimately threaten deep playoff level.

sinPHIN
04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
i think the new coaching staff is why im so happy about the pick. if tony was still here i would probly feel alot different

utahphinsfan
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
My preference was a trade down, but I am happy with the pick and support Philbin, Sherman, Ireland et al.

Agreed.

mrbunglez
04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
i think the new coaching staff is why im so happy about the pick. if tony was still here i would probly feel alot different

That's exactly how I feel as well. Who knows him better than Sherman, and if he thinks he's worth it than that's a positive in my eyes.

Anvil35
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Would have prefered adding picks and drafting him later, but takes two teams to make trades...

Whitedolphin54
04-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Not thrilled but will be rooting for him

Canadi-Phin
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
My opinion is mock drafts are an increasingly worthless waste of time, given the new salary structure and therefore teams willing to bounce around. I'm thrilled I didn't look at a single mock throughout the process.

Tannehill is guesswork, as far as I'm concerned. I posted in the main forum a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't know what to expect. I prefer guys who were early blue chippers, regardless if they were later improperly downgraded. Tannehill was marginally high rated out of high school then redshirted and sat behind lesser talents. Every category is good but not great. I'd feel better about him if he were a self sure guy, like Tom Brady telling Robert Kraft that he just made the best decision of his life. Tannehill was passive on the Gruden quarterback camp and never flashed the type of athletic arrogance that Victor Cruz, for example, demonstrates on almost every play. He escapes then runs with level shoulders and doesn't look particularly aware or urgent. LSU made him look ordinary. I'm worried Tannehill might turn out to be a long term tease --- "Better than most" --- but not enough to legitimately threaten deep playoff level.

Who hasn't LSU in the last few years make look ordinary? He put up 24 points on one of the best defences with his supporting staff. Texas AM has no talent for him to lean on unlike every other prospect.

I'm in the happy crowd. Am I sure he will succeed, not at all. But I think he's a worker by all accounts, which is huge for Qbs at the next level. Steve YOung talked about it today that if he is first in and last out of the building and willing to work at the position the sky is the limit. He makes the best throws from a disturbed pocket and the best pocket presence of all the Qbs in this draft. Those are huge.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Where is that guy with the cat barfing avitar? That's how I feel.

Blancgary911
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM

I feel the same way

DefensiveEnd76
04-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I think it was a reach and we should've traded down. That being said, he is now a Miami Dolphin so I will root for him and hope he turns out to be great. I hope I'm wrong about him because I'll gladly eat a crow buffet

BassFin
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
If we drafted him then Sherman saw something special in him. That's what makes me excited about this pick.

I am very happy and look forward to the QB competition in training camp. Should make everyone better.

state06
04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
i am happy/ relieved. we didnt screw it up (seattle). He wasnt going to be there in rd 2 and trading back into rd one would have been too dangerous.

Nublar7
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
A new head coach and a 1st round QB to marry him to. How can you not feel good?

Fromwayback
04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I will root for him to succeed but I dont like the pick.

rrrrphin
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
i didn't break my tv or remote.....things are looking up

Adam First
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm satisfied. It's the pick we needed to make.

Nobody else was worth drafting at eight. Blackmon and Barron were off the board. We didn't need Fletcher Cox like some suggested with Soliai and Randy Starks.

1972fins
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I was there when Shula picked Marino lots of people had nothing good to say about him.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

If Tanny turns out to be a for a long time.s good as his potential indicates Ireland is gonna be around

kvado16
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Ireland has gained 100 respect points from me, now dont **** up the rest of the draft and lets get some impact players!

roy_miami
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I thought I would be fine with it but right after the pick I literally felt sick to my stomach. Are there any examples of a hall of fame type QB with such a bad win/loss record in college? Or gotten their head coach fired?

One million to one odds that he's still our starting QB in 5 years would probably be too generous.

I just pray to god they don't plan on sitting him for the season.

Whitedolphin54
04-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I was there when Shula picked Marino lots of people had nothing good to say about him.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

If Tanny turns out to be a for a long time.s good as his potential indicates Ireland is gonna be around

Its a fair point, I remember it too. But Dan was taken a lot later and of the 5 that were taken before him, most were no good. I also remember that Dan had a bad last year at college too, so you just never know what lies ahead

Whitedolphin54
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I thought I would be fine with it but right after the pick I literally felt sick to my stomach. Are there any examples of a hall of fame type QB with such a bad win/loss record in college? Or gotten their head coach fired?

One million to one odds that he's still our starting QB in 5 years would probably be too generous.

I just pray to god they don't plan on sitting him for the season.

I don't know that but Dan did throw a lot of INT's in his last year if I remember right. You'd better ask some of the other older guys here if I am correct

Digital
04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
In my humble opinion, the two qualities that separate elite NFL QB's from the Matt Moores of the world are 1) Consistent Accuracy, and 2) Exceptional Ability to Read Defenses. Occasional inaccuracies or inconsistencies reading defenses both lead to interceptions. Raw QB's will always have problems with #2. I'm not sold on Tannehill's consistent accuracy.

So, while I've been craving a first round QB for years, the best thing I can say is that I'm. Hopeful. IF we give him time to grow and IF we build his skills and confidence, then we might eventually have a Franchise QB. But, I just don't see a poor man's Aaron Rogers. I hope Tannehill's develops into Aaron Rogers 2.0.

Skyfire023
04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
I loved the pick myself.

jonanthans
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I did not like the Tannehill pick. That being said, now that we have selected him, I am 100% behind him. I hope he reaches his full potential and solidifies the position for the next 15 years for us.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Thrilled

buttonwood
04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Ireland could have traded down and got him between 15-20, while picking up an additional pick. That would have been a nice deal for us. That being said, Im not overly excited but I will get behind Tannehill the 3rd rounder that Omar Kelly and other media morons convinced Ross we had to have.

nicety31
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Not a bad or great pick. But now that Tannehill is a dolphin, I will support him 100%.

SF Dolphin Fan
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I really like the pick and think he is in the perfect situation here. Miami will likely take it's lumps this year (too many needs still), but Tannehill can probably sit and learn for at least half the season with coaches who can develop quarterbacks. We are not talking about Tony Sparano or Dave Wannestedt here. Look what Philibin did with Matt Flynn. Anyone disagree that Tannehill has way more upside?

X-Pacolypse
04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I loved the pick. I breathed a major sigh of relief when I heard Roger Goodell say his name. I don't think I could deal with another first round lineman.

Awsi Dooger
04-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Gruden in the final segment of the ESPN coverage emphasized that it's time for one of the Big 12 quarterbacks to step up, then he rattled off the list of recent flops. That topic still doesn't show up often enough. Chris Berman acted as if he'd never heard it.

If Tannehill had the same qualities but let's say came out of the Pac 12 or even Big East I'd be considerably more comfortable.

Or if Kuechly had been grabbed in the top seven. Tough to let that guy get away.

PJack
04-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Gruden in the final segment of the ESPN coverage emphasized that it's time for one of the Big 12 quarterbacks to step up, then he rattled off the list of recent flops. That topic still doesn't show up often enough. Chris Berman acted as if he'd never heard it.

If Tannehill had the same qualities but let's say came out of the Pac 12 or even Big East I'd be considerably more comfortable.

Or if Kuechly had been grabbed in the top seven. Tough to let that guy get away.

Yeah Kuechly is the guy I wanted. Just glad he didn't go to Buffalo. Tannehill was over drafted plain and simple. I am much MUCH happier with Philbin and Sherman trying to get him up and running. Sparano and crew would have ruined him before the season even started. Count me in the so so crowd. Could have been worse... we could have taken Coples or gone OL again.

datruth55
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Ireland could have traded down and got him between 15-20, while picking up an additional pick. That would have been a nice deal for us. That being said, Im not overly excited but I will get behind Tannehill the 3rd rounder that Omar Kelly and other media morons convinced Ross we had to have.
Don't know about that. Rams thought they could trade down and get Blackmon, then when Jacksonville traded up in front of them then the Bucs thought by trading down to 7 they would still get Claiborne and Dallas moved up in front of them and took their guy (still ended up with Barron so not a bad consolation prize).

No guarantees when trading down that your guy will be there. It's been freakin 29 years since we took a QB in the first round...has any other franchise taken that long?

Canadi-Phin
04-27-2012, 12:08 AM

I wonder though if that is more with the offences that have been run in the Big 12. Most of those guys are coming out of spread offenses. Tannehill to me could be the one who succeeds. I mean of course I'm praying he does for us. He is the first guy with First round tools, who played in a pro offense instead of a spread.

Apollo
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
He may not have been BPA but he plays a position that this franchise has needed for years. Whether we could have traded down and gotten him is a moot point...he's a Dolphin now. I hope this is the last quarterback we'll have to draft for a while, tired of having the QB cloud hanging over us every offseason. I don't think he's ready to start right away but I trust that Philbin/Sherman will be able to get the most out of him. Looking forward to a new era, hopefully it's a good one.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk 2

TheBow305
04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm happy. I think we NEEDED Tannehill. No question he has the ability of a top ten pick. I'd sit him this ENTIRE year, then give him the reins after that. I'm very hopeful. We finally took a chance and didn't play it safe. I think Dolphin fans need to be happy. We didn't give into the media pressure to trade up, we were patient, stood pat and got our guy. Everyone that thinks we could have traded down and still got him has no idea. I'm sure they explored it, but it's just not that easy, this isn't Madden. If Sherman thinks he can be the guy, and Philbin thinks he can be the guy, I believe them. They sure know a lot more about Quarterbacks than any of us, so who are we to dog on this pick. We finally have some long term hope at the Quarterback position. No better feeling than that! No doubt I'm getting a Ryan Tannehill jersey baby!! New Coach, new Quarterback, let the Philbin/Tannehill era begin!!!

Now I am PRAYING that we get one of these guys with our 2nd rounder:

1. Reuben Randle
2. Courtney Upshaw
3. Stephen Hill
4. Coby Fleener
5. Alshon Jeffery
6. Jonathan Martin
7. Mohamed Sanu
8. Mike Adams
9. Cordy Glenn
10. Bobby Massie

Not gonna lie, as much as I hate the guy, I wouldn't be upset if we took a shot on Janoris Jenkins if he made it to 42. Just sayin..

Here's to a FANTASTIC Day two for our Phins!!!!

JerryD
04-27-2012, 01:15 AM
I like the pick. Heck, I want to draft another QB too!!

If we don't draft some QBs, we'll never have a QB .... & we're dead in the water without a QB!!

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 01:16 AM
People can hate, but Ireland gained a lot of respect points in my eyes in the fact that he took the chance on Tannehill. Yeah we all thought it, but it wasn't the safe pick. He's banking his Miami Dolphins career on Tannehill.

Quadfather
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
All I know is Phil Simms absolutly loves the kid and thinks he will be a franchise QB. I am excited...