PDA

View Full Version : Coples to the Jets.....

WaxOn WaxOff
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
We will see how "unmotivated" he is twice yearly now. And we passed on him for Tannehill. Just great.

sinPHIN
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
big jake will eat him up. coples=bust

FearTheBeard
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Ughhhh shut up. Nobody's ever happy.

rent this space
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
if he keeps taking every other play off, it will only be like facing him once a year

AZStryker
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Relax! The mere fact that he was drafted by the Jets should tell you all you need to know about him. Huge reach, major bust

NEPA Phin Phan
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Well many fans have been calling him Vernon Gholston 2.0

MadDog 88
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Coples has huge upside but the effort is the question, but Rex has a way of getting the most out of guys. I am very surprised they passed on Ingram.

Roman529
04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Gruden thinks this guy is lazy....sounds like another Jet's bust to me.

utahphinsfan
04-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Coples = Gholston?

Should have gotten the meatball something cornfed.

DBenitez
04-26-2012, 10:42 PM
He will flake out

datruth55
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he fits in a 3-4 defense.

Exuro
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Can only hope he busts now

foozool13
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I was hoping we would get this guy so im not too happy the Jets got him, but lets hope hes a bust now!! LOL

truthbtold
04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Relax! The mere fact that he was drafted by the Jets should tell you all you need to know about him. Huge reach, major bust
actually, small reach, major upside. could be the steal of the draft and you might be in big trouble trying to block him. in fact, it could be argued that tannehill is a much bigger reach and if he sees the field at all in 2012 it means that something went terribly wrong.

next-year
04-27-2012, 03:33 AM
I am SOOO glad they DIDnt get Ingram, I can deal with coples, yeah he could be phenominal but from what i saw and reports i have read I have a pretty good feeling he's going to jsut be another mediocre Dlineman

Sniderman
04-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Would like to have seen the fins take him and get Osweiler later but I am hoping this means that Sherman is very high on Tanehill!

Fin Thirteen
04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Don't like Coples as much as Upshaw, Perry or Mercilus, though his performance in the Senior Bowl hints at what might be coming down the line.

It's a decent pick in the middle of the round. Can't fault it, can't get excited by it.

2413fanphins
04-27-2012, 07:02 AM
rex failed miserably at gettign gholston motivated.

jake long isn't scared of some goon named, quinton...

web1313
04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
up here in NY many Jet fans not happy with pick. Friend of mine was saying how he cant wait for Ryan and Tannebaum to go!!

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM

Yep.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2012/04/25/the-best-and-worst-nfl-teams-in-drafting-collegiate-talent/

up here in NY many Jet fans not happy with pick. Friend of mine was saying how he cant wait for Ryan and Tannebaum to go!!

Your friend is an idiot who deserves to have Rich Kotite run his franchise.

Stranger56
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
wow, I really doubt this kid is going to have a grudge against the dolphins for passing on him. We passed on Gholston for Jake Long and look how that battle turned out. This kid won't be in the league 3 years from now.

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how he fits in a 3-4 defense.

same here. Potentially great pick, but potentially bad as well (granted so was ours). Coples really looked awkward when it came to stand up drills so unless they feel he can be a 3-4 DE, I'm a little confused... especially since they were supposedly in love with Ingram.

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
same here. Potentially great pick, but potentially bad as well (granted so was ours). Coples really looked awkward when it came to stand up drills so unless they feel he can be a 3-4 DE, I'm a little confused... especially since they were supposedly in love with Ingram.

he's going to be a DE and the jets are building a really nice DL w/ Coples, Wilkerson and Pouha along w/ good depth w/ ellis, Pitoitua and Devito

ROADRUNNER
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
he's going to be a DE and the jets are building a really nice DL w/ Coples, Wilkerson and Pouha along w/ good depth w/ ellis, Pitoitua and Devito

Come on Junc tell us how you really feel.............

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Come on Junc tell us how you really feel.............

I'm pretty happy, if I wasn't I'd say so. Maybe I'm being biased as a Heels fan but I love the pick.

utahphinsfan
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM

That is what I heard as well. It appears the the pass rush is still lacking.

ROADRUNNER
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty happy, if I wasn't I'd say so. Maybe I'm being biased as a Heels fan but I love the pick.

Big boom or bust pic for you.
question for you Junc do you think big boy will be there next year if you fail to get into the playoffs again......

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Big boom or bust pic for you.
question for you Junc do you think big boy will be there next year if you fail to get into the playoffs again......

I expect Rex will still be here if we miss the playoffs(which I don't expect). Woody loves Rex, something really bad would have to happen for him to be fired.

JCane
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
junc that's a garbage pick.

And I like Coples more than most do.

But over Ingram or DeCastro?

Absolutely not. Makes zero sense.

ROADRUNNER
04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I expect Rex will still be here if we miss the playoffs(which I don't expect). Woody loves Rex, something really bad would have to happen for him to be fired.

Well you better watch out for the Bills, good fight for 2nd place..........

fishbanger
04-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Tebow plays 20 times harder then VG #2 and is a better pass rusher. Tebow would make a better DE or OLB prospect than this guy. Move Tebow to defense and see for yourself.

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 10:49 AM

That makes a bit more sense as he is a strong run defender. I don't think he helps your need of pass rusher though

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Well you better watch out for the Bills, good fight for 2nd place..........

I think we're still better than Buffalo but they made it more interesting. I want to see Fitz play well enough to win in games that matter, so far he hasn't proven he can do that but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

That makes a bit more sense as he is a strong run defender. I don't think he helps your need of pass rusher though

I think he helps, he's not LT rushing the passer but we have some quality along the DL now. The pass rush is better today than it was yesterday.

vagrantprodigy
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I was really happy they went with Coples. I think he'll bust.

JCane
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Coples is known for disappearing against ACC talent.

Ingram dominate against SEC talent...

You tell me.

nyjunc
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Coples is known for disappearing against ACC talent.

Ingram dominate against SEC talent...

You tell me.

this isn't the BCS where they automatically put SEC teams in the title game, you have to earn it in the NFL. Coples had to deal w/ a ton of problems at UNC including the NCAA taking away a likely Nat'l Title contender 2 years ago while SEC teams continue to cheat w/ no interference. How did Ingram dominate w/ 19 sacks to the last 2 years and Coples struggle w/ 17.5?

truthbtold
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Tebow plays 20 times harder then VG #2 and is a better pass rusher. Tebow would make a better DE or OLB prospect than this guy. Move Tebow to defense and see for yourself.

Great idea ... And you guys should move Tennehill back to WR since you dont' have any and he probably cant play QB in the NFL at a high level.
Congratulations on whiffing on your first four choices (Luck, Peyton, Flynn, RG III) and finally making a desperate reach for your fifth choice. Nice job.

VDOGG77
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
this is the same GM that drafted Golston... nuff said

1972fins
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
We will see how "unmotivated" he is twice yearly now. And we passed on him for Tannehill. Just great.
there were 15 teams that passed on him, can you say Gholston

sjsharkfanredux
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Like the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on [Ghoul]; fool me twice, shame on [Tannebaum]"

1972fins
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Great idea ... And you guys should move Tennehill back to WR since you dont' have any and he probably cant play QB in the NFL at a high level.
Congratulations on whiffing on your first four choices (Luck, Peyton, Flynn, RG III) and finally making a desperate reach for your fifth choice. Nice job.

enjoy Sanchez and your broke down team, maybe they can all sing we are the world and come together, and congrats on the announcement of Cromarty becoming a father for the 12th time, of course from 9 different mothers, his goal appears to be to repopulate the world single handed

The New Guy
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM

The Jets are not in much better shape in the WR department. Yes, they have Holmes, but he is a ticking time bomb. His TD #'s have been pretty good, but he only has about 40 more yards receiveing the last 2 years than Devon Bess.

Whiffing? :lol: Luck was never an option. The Redskins gave up way too much for RG III. When you weigh the options of Tannehill for a first round pick at #8 or Griffin III for three 1st rounders and a second, Tannehill is a much better choice.

Don't get me wrong, I think Griffin III is the better prospect but Tannehill is the better value. I believe Tannehill can be a great quarterback in the NFL and has all the tools necessary to be a franchise guy. I am glad the Dolphins didn't give up 3 first rounders and a second for RG III and instead took Tannehill even at #8. Add in the fact that Sherman knows him better than anyone else, and I feel good about him over all the other guys.

We couldn't afford to pay Manning 19 million a season even if he wanted to sign with us and he has 1 or 2 years left at most.

Offering Flynn what they thought he was worth instead of overpaying is not a whiff. Philbin should know better than anyone else what he was worth. I am comfortable with his decision not to overpay for Flynn. I don't see how any of those can be considered whiffs.

UT the Jet
04-28-2012, 12:29 AM
rex failed miserably at gettign gholston motivated.

And he succeeded tremendously with Aaron Maybin.

Tiko377
04-28-2012, 12:46 AM
he's going to be there DE someone like Ellis interesting stuff I know a lot of people thought he would be a OLB anyway jets lost

DudeleBroski
04-28-2012, 12:55 AM
If we didn't need a QB and we took Quinton at 8 with Melvin Ingram and Hightower still on the board, I'd be very disappointed.

JCane
04-28-2012, 02:10 AM
this isn't the BCS where they automatically put SEC teams in the title game, you have to earn it in the NFL. Coples had to deal w/ a ton of problems at UNC including the NCAA taking away a likely Nat'l Title contender 2 years ago while SEC teams continue to cheat w/ no interference. How did Ingram dominate w/ 19 sacks to the last 2 years and Coples struggle w/ 17.5?

Well it looks like you and the rest of the little sisters of the poor are going to get your wish with socialized college football.

Hope you're ready to watch two SEC schools contend for the title every single year and have even more of a death grip on college football.

I didn't say Coples struggled. I said he disappeared. There's a difference. Coples takes plays off he's lazy. He's phenomenal but he does have somewhat of a poor work ethic. If he's relaxing in the ACC where there's less talent, how does he react in the NFL?

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the NCAA taking away title contenders and....what?! Made zero sense.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
The Jets are not in much better shape in the WR department. Yes, they have Holmes, but he is a ticking time bomb. His TD #'s have been pretty good, but he only has about 40 more yards receiveing the last 2 years than Devon Bess.

Whiffing? :lol: Luck was never an option. The Redskins gave up way too much for RG III. When you weigh the options of Tannehill for a first round pick at #8 or Griffin III for three 1st rounders and a second, Tannehill is a much better choice.

Don't get me wrong, I think Griffin III is the better prospect but Tannehill is the better value. I believe Tannehill can be a great quarterback in the NFL and has all the tools necessary to be a franchise guy. I am glad the Dolphins didn't give up 3 first rounders and a second for RG III and instead took Tannehill even at #8. Add in the fact that Sherman knows him better than anyone else, and I feel good about him over all the other guys.

We couldn't afford to pay Manning 19 million a season even if he wanted to sign with us and he has 1 or 2 years left at most.

Offering Flynn what they thought he was worth instead of overpaying is not a whiff. Philbin should know better than anyone else what he was worth. I am comfortable with his decision not to overpay for Flynn. I don't see how any of those can be considered whiffs.

The Jets are in much better shape WR wise w/o a doubt. Holmes is better than any WR you have, Hill is the next most talented guy in the division, kerley is like your bes WR in Bess.

Holmes only played 12 games in 2010 don't forget, his #s were down, the O was down in 2011 but he still made big plays and scored a ton of TDs. bess has 11 career TDs, Holmes has 14 the last 2 years alone

Well it looks like you and the rest of the little sisters of the poor are going to get your wish with socialized college football.

Hope you're ready to watch two SEC schools contend for the title every single year and have even more of a death grip on college football.

I didn't say Coples struggled. I said he disappeared. There's a difference. Coples takes plays off he's lazy. He's phenomenal but he does have somewhat of a poor work ethic. If he's relaxing in the ACC where there's less talent, how does he react in the NFL?

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the NCAA taking away title contenders and....what?! Made zero sense.

I don't watch CFB, it's boring w/ no real champ. a 4 game playoff is a nice start but still not what they need. an 8 or 16 game playoff is what is needed for this sport and hopefully they eventually get there so teams can't just play 1-2 tough games a year and play for Nat'l titles.

Coples was in a unique situation b/c the NCAA destroyed the heels program(while allowing SEC programs to cheat every year)

JCane
04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I knew you'd be back in here Monday morning.

Like punching a time clock.

8 or 16 team playoff?

Youre a smart dude, break this down for us. Go beyond football. Explain how this works from a financial and University standpoint. Take into account that almost every BCS athletic department operates in the red. Now figure out how to get STUDENT-athletes to miss more class time. This isn't a 12 man basketball roster. Figure out how you're going to pay airfare for 60+ roster players, the band, cheerleaders, coaches, trainers, hotels, transportation and meals.

Dollar amounts are beginning to pile up aren't they. It's a bit tougher to accomplish outside of just go play some football.

1 tough games to get to a national title? Been trying to tell you that Boise State didn't deserve a shot lol. Alabama is a different story.

Either way, Coples is lazy and takes plays off in the ACC. I still don't know what you were referring to with national title contenders. I assume you weren't talking about the Tarheels since they can't even manage to beat my lousy Hurricanes.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I knew you'd be back in here Monday morning.

Like punching a time clock.

8 or 16 team playoff?

Youre a smart dude, break this down for us. Go beyond football. Explain how this works from a financial and University standpoint. Take into account that almost every BCS athletic department operates in the red. Now figure out how to get STUDENT-athletes to miss more class time. This isn't a 12 man basketball roster. Figure out how you're going to pay airfare for 60+ roster players, the band, cheerleaders, coaches, trainers, hotels, transportation and meals.

Dollar amounts are beginning to pile up aren't they. It's a bit tougher to accomplish outside of just go play some football.

1 tough games to get to a national title? Been trying to tell you that Boise State didn't deserve a shot lol. Alabama is a different story.

Either way, Coples is lazy and takes plays off in the ACC. I still don't know what you were referring to with national title contenders. I assume you weren't talking about the Tarheels since they can't even manage to beat my lousy Hurricanes.

Obviously they are very concerned w/ students missing class time which is why they have playoffs in the other divisions and have the NCAA basketball tourney where teams are away from home for 3 weeks or so.(not consecutivly but they fly back and forth).

an 8 team Tourney is 3 weeks, 16 is 4 weeks. Most classes are done by early Dec and resume mid January. That's when they Tourney should take place.

The NCAA flies the teams out, it's part of the billions they'd be making w/ such a Tourney. In the NCAA BB tourney the schools don't pay for the travel and accomodations.

'Bama won one tough game and LOST at HOME to one of the few tough teams they played, didn't make their conf title game yet still played for the title. only in CFB.

UNC would have been a legit title contender in 2010 before all the suspensions.

Julius Peppers was supposedly lazy at Carolina too.

JCane
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
So you're making 18 year-old kids play an additional four weeks which is more wear and tear on young bodies. I'm sure they're physically ready for that. And I'm sure you'll get a "true" champ from a system that creates more injuries at critical moments. This is working out swimmingly.

So you have to win your conference title in order to play for a national title? Oklahoma State was more "deserving?" They lost games that WEREN'T tough. What a fraud they were. Alabama was te best team in the country and they were better than LSU when LSU beat them. Alabama missed five field goals in that game. That practically never happens. If you HAVE to win your conference in order to play for a national title then you should have to win your division to make the playoffs and not back in with help from other teams right?

North Carolina would have struggled to win the ACC in 2010. The ACC doesn't have any good times. And by some miracle of whatever God there might be does UNC get to a national title, they would have been throttled by the SEC.

When this playoff happens and two and three teams from the SEC are in that playoff, I'd better not hear anyone's whining about how it's not fair. The SEC is bigger, badder and better than everyone else in college football. One loss teams from the SEC should get in over undefeated teams from the Big 12 who play NO ONE every year. Conferences outside the SEC are TRASH. The SEC's fourth best team would dickhole stomp their way to an ACC title with little effort. That's why Alabama gets in the title game.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
So you're making 18 year-old kids play an additional four weeks which is more wear and tear on young bodies. I'm sure they're physically ready for that. And I'm sure you'll get a "true" champ from a system that creates more injuries at critical moments. This is working out swimmingly.

So you have to win your conference title in order to play for a national title? Oklahoma State was more "deserving?" They lost games that WEREN'T tough. What a fraud they were. Alabama was te best team in the country and they were better than LSU when LSU beat them. Alabama missed five field goals in that game. That practically never happens. If you HAVE to win your conference in order to play for a national title then you should have to win your division to make the playoffs and not back in with help from other teams right?

North Carolina would have struggled to win the ACC in 2010. The ACC doesn't have any good times. And by some miracle of whatever God there might be does UNC get to a national title, they would have been throttled by the SEC.

When this playoff happens and two and three teams from the SEC are in that playoff, I'd better not hear anyone's whining about how it's not fair. The SEC is bigger, badder and better than everyone else in college football. One loss teams from the SEC should get in over undefeated teams from the Big 12 who play NO ONE every year. Conferences outside the SEC are TRASH. The SEC's fourth best team would dickhole stomp their way to an ACC title with little effort. That's why Alabama gets in the title game.

Hmm, do they mind when these kids play 13-14 games now when they used to play 9-10? There's no need to play that many reg season games. They can play 9 reg season games, 1 conf title game and UP TO 4 postseason game which will still have them at 14 games.

'Bama had a chance to play LSU, Okie State didn't. 'Bama had them at HOME and lost, in what other sport do they then get to play for a title? That's like the Yanks losing Game 7 to the Sox in 2004 then playing for the WS.

UNC's D would have been one of the best of this generation, they had a good team w/ all the suspensions. W/ all the talent they lost they would have been a serious contender for the nat'l Title.

If there is a fair way to get multiple SEC teams that's ok, in the BB tourney you can have 4 teams from one conf make a FF if they earn it. CFB needs to find a fair way to select teams.

JCane
04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Speaking of the Final Four...looks like you were right afterall.

A #5 seed can win it all.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?319212-FH-March-Madness-National-Championship-Game-(1)-CedarPhin-vs-(5)-JCane

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Speaking of the Final Four...looks like you were right afterall.

A #5 seed can win it all.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?319212-FH-March-Madness-National-Championship-Game-(1)-CedarPhin-vs-(5)-JCane

haha, congrats.

Clipse
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/04/d6ecec58-1.gif

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
If you HAVE to win your conference in order to play for a national title then you should have to win your division to make the playoffs and not back in with help from other teams right?

I missed that part, the NFL is different, there aren't hundreds of teams to choose from. Just 32 and some can get in via WC and if teams like Miami didn't lose to 3 non playoff teams down the stretch then you wouldn't have had to worry about the jets in postseason.

JCane
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Of course you missed it lol.

And of course the NFL is different when it involved your team benefitting from such phuckery.

This is what makes college football BCS so great. Mediocrity is not rewarded.

You guys didn't "earn" your way in. They went against everything you try to stand behind. Jets needed other teams to win for them so that they could get in. That's garbage. You played an entire season like **** and then backed your way in.

Look at the entire body of work. Who is damn good week in and week out. Reward the elite. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL...everyone needs to trim the fat. Cut it down to four teams per conference and let the big dogs hunt. **** the middle class. Middle class is always a bunch of lazy scrubs looking for handouts and help.

Socialized playoffs can kiss my ass.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Of course you missed it lol.

And of course the NFL is different when it involved your team benefitting from such phuckery.

You guys didn't "earn" your way in. They went against everything you try to stand behind. Jets needed other teams to win for them so that they could get in. That's garbage. You played an entire season like **** and then backed your way in.

Look at the entire body of work. Who is damn good week in and week out. Reward the elite. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL...everyone needs to trim the fat. Cut it down to four teams per conference and let the big dogs hunt. **** the middle class. Middle class is always a bunch of lazy scrubs looking for handouts and help.

The NFL has 32 teams, the greatest players in the world. CFB's talent is spread out among hundreds of programs where you need to win 1 maybe 2 tough games all year to play for a championship(if you are in a major conference). The best teams don't always get a cahcne to play for titles, GB and NYG- 2 teams who earned championships the last 2 years wouldn't have had the chance to do so in CFB.

The Jets won the required amount of games needed to get into the playoffs, it's not their fault teams like Miami choked w/ a chance to make it the final weeks.

LANGER72
04-30-2012, 11:46 AM
The NFL has 32 teams, the greatest players in the world. CFB's talent is spread out among hundreds of programs where you need to win 1 maybe 2 tough games all year to play for a championship(if you are in a major conference). The best teams don't always get a cahcne to play for titles, GB and NYG- 2 teams who earned championships the last 2 years wouldn't have had the chance to do so in CFB.

The Jets won the required amount of games needed to get into the playoffs, it's not their fault teams like Miami choked w/ a chance to make it the final weeks.

The Jets didn't choke last year..they barfed. In 2010 and 2009, I seem to remember the Jets getting a little bit of help too.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
The Jets didn't choke last year..they barfed. In 2010 and 2009, I seem to remember the Jets getting a little bit of help too.

what help did the Jets get in 2010? The Jets did choke last year so should we say Cincy didn't earn it b/c the Jets choked?

BasqueAtlantean
04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I am glad they drafted coples i also think hes going to be a bust lmao

JCane
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't care how many teams the NFL has. You don't reward mediocrity.

Once the playoffs start, balls can bounce certain ways and next thing you know, you've got a team who didn't deserve to even get in moving on and then getting bounced when they don't have that luck on their side. It's garbage.

The great teams go out and play hard every week and win games. They EARN it. 9-7?

TRASH

CedarPhin
04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I am glad they drafted coples i also think hes going to be a bust lmao

What will be more successful? The city of Atlantis or Coples' Jets career?

utahphinsfan
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Conferences outside the SEC are TRASH. The SEC's fourth best team would dickhole stomp their way to an ACC title with little effort. That's why Alabama gets in the title game.

Agreed. Look at how BYU struggled against Ole Miss last year.

2 Thoughts... Mediocrity is rewarded somewhat. Case in point 2010 New Mexico Bowl... Gee! I'm trashing byu again.

As far as socialized playoffs, look at the dog & pony show the NBA is. Its either playoffs of draft lottery.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't care how many teams the NFL has. You don't reward mediocrity.

Once the playoffs start, balls can bounce certain ways and next thing you know, you've got a team who didn't deserve to even get in moving on and then getting bounced when they don't have that luck on their side. It's garbage.

The great teams go out and play hard every week and win games. They EARN it. 9-7?

TRASH

The NFL is different today, a couple of bounces of the ball can be the difference btw 12-4 and 8-8. There aren't any dominat teams any more, we didn't see the upsets in postseason in the 70s and 80s that we see today. CFB doesn't have the dominant programs it used to have either w/ UM, FSU, ND, etc... You have to give teams a chance, in an 8-16 team playoff you should have mostly conf champs w/ a few "wild card" teams that didn't win their conf title. In the NFL you don't have a choice what division you play in, some teams can get in winning their div at 8-8, others can miss the playoffs at 10-6, you have to make it fair.

If you hate mediocrity and think you have to win your conf how can you support the BCS allowing a team that couldn't ven make their conf title game playing for the Nat'l title?

JCane
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
You can't tell me that Oklahoma State winning their garbage conference is the same as finishing "third" in the SEC. Alabama was the est team in the SEC all year long. There was Alabama and LSU and then there was a HUGE drop off. You can't tell me that there wasn't because you don't watch a lot of college football.

Oklahoma State lost to IOWA STATE. That's Iowa State. That's not LSU. If everyone has one loss, you have to take the team with the best loss. Alabama lost to what was then the best team in the country by a score of 9-6 in a game where they missed five field goals. LSU didn't score on Alabama. Alabama didn't score on LSU. I came away feeling they were equal.

LSU
Alabama
oklahoma State
Stanford

Four team playoff. Who plays for the national title?

Alabama and LSU.

BCS got it right again. Don't hold it against Alabama that they have to share a division with another great team. Last season was a rare occasion. The two best teams head and shoulders above the rest just so happened to be from the same conference and the same division. College football needed that rematch.

JCane
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Look at how BYU struggled against Ole Miss last year.

2 Thoughts... Mediocrity is rewarded somewhat. Case in point 2010 New Mexico Bowl... Gee! I'm trashing byu again.

As far as socialized playoffs, look at the dog & pony show the NBA is. Its either playoffs of draft lottery.

Don't get me started on bowl season. That's here college football is seriously flawed. I've got salad bowls, dog food bowls, weed eater bowls and everything else. It's pure ****.

Give me:

Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Rose Bowl
Sugar Bowl
National Title

That's it. Everyone else stays at home where they belong. Give me the BCS bowls on New Year's Eve. National title on New Year's Day. The end.

No one wants to watch Eastern Montana Tech take on Roast Beef State culinary institute in the Equate Mouthwash Bowl.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
You can't tell me that Oklahoma State winning their garbage conference is the same as finishing "third" in the SEC. Alabama was the est team in the SEC all year long. There was Alabama and LSU and then there was a HUGE drop off. You can't tell me that there wasn't because you don't watch a lot of college football.

Oklahoma State lost to IOWA STATE. That's Iowa State. That's not LSU. If everyone has one loss, you have to take the team with the best loss. Alabama lost to what was then the best team in the country by a score of 9-6 in a game where they missed five field goals. LSU didn't score on Alabama. Alabama didn't score on LSU. I came away feeling they were equal.

LSU
Alabama
oklahoma State
Stanford

Four team playoff. Who plays for the national title?

Alabama and LSU.

BCS got it right again. Don't hold it against Alabama that they have to share a division with another great team. Last season was a rare occasion. The two best teams head and shoulders above the rest just so happened to be from the same conference and the same division. College football needed that rematch.

If 'Bama was the best team in the SEC all season long they would have beaten LSU at HOME.

TheWalrus
04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
The three best teams in the NFL last year were all in the NFC. Yet the playoffs were still played and no one complained that the Pats got a chance to win the Super Bowl despite being clearly inferior.

What I think we have to rid ourselves of is the notion that the Championship Game in any sport decides what the best team is. All it ever does is show who won the Championship Game. College football's attempt to pick the "best" two teams (by an impossible-to-understand mathematical formula, no less) and then have them play is an affront to the impossibility of that concept and to the American instinct to give the underdog a chance in a fair fight. If the SEC teams really are that superior, it should be a relatively routine thing for them to prove it in a playoff system, just as the basketball powerhouses most often prevail in March Madness.

It's easy to point to the holes in a playoff system. But at the end of the day what it reminds me of is Thomas Jefferson's famous quote about democracy. "It's the worst possible system, except when compared to all the others."

JCane
04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
If 'Bama was the best team in the SEC all season long they would have beaten LSU at HOME.

Five missed field goals. Who misses five field goals in one game. That's about as rare as you being right lol.

You can say LSU was significantly better when they couldn't even score on Alabama. Game went to overtime as well where Alabama missed a game winning field goal I believe.

Only teams capable of beating either team was each other. Oklahoma State was too soft up front. Alabama and LSU either one would have mauled those poor kids. Just wouldn't have been fair. The SEC is on a different level. I know you don't want to admit that and will refute it all day long but it's the truth. They're better. Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Every single position. Last five national titles. It'll be tough to put a stop to it this season. I mean South Carolina would be the best team in any of the other conferences lol. That's just sad for everyone else.

JCane
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
It is relatively easy to prove it in a playoff system. The SEC is the only conference that has voted FOR the playoff.

All of the other conferences have opposed. Why?

Because all of the other conferences know that a playoff benefits the SEC tremendously. SEC already gets the befit of the doubt because they're better than everyone else. It's not far fetched that you could have four SEC schools in a playoff for the national title. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. Very capable teams that would kick Virginia Tech's teeth in.

BasqueAtlantean
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
What will be more successful? The city of Atlantis or Coples' Jets career?

Atlanteans(hebrews today known as basques) were scattered thruout the world and schooled humanity...so you tell me.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Five missed field goals. Who misses five field goals in one game. That's about as rare as you being right lol.

You can say LSU was significantly better when they couldn't even score on Alabama. Game went to overtime as well where Alabama missed a game winning field goal I believe.

Only teams capable of beating either team was each other. Oklahoma State was too soft up front. Alabama and LSU either one would have mauled those poor kids. Just wouldn't have been fair. The SEC is on a different level. I know you don't want to admit that and will refute it all day long but it's the truth. They're better. Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Every single position. Last five national titles. It'll be tough to put a stop to it this season. I mean South Carolina would be the best team in any of the other conferences lol. That's just sad for everyone else.

do special teams count? the bottom line is they LOST at HOME, they weren't the best team in the SEC in the reg season.

It is relatively easy to prove it in a playoff system. The SEC is the only conference that has voted FOR the playoff.

Because all of the other conferences know that a playoff benefits the SEC tremendously. SEC already gets the befit of the doubt because they're better than everyone else. It's not far fetched that you could have four SEC schools in a playoff for the national title. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. Very capable teams that would kick Virginia Tech's teeth in.

If they win it every year in a playoff they will have earned it unlike being put into a title game every year. I know the best teams are in the SEC but it would be nice to see a title team actually have to win a few tough games before playing for a Nat'l title.

TheWalrus
04-30-2012, 02:29 PM

It would depend on whether an NCAA playoff went with a conference style (ala the NFL) or a bracket style (ala college basketball). In the latter, the SEC teams would most likely dominate. In the former, you could have years like this last one in the NFL.

I'm not some small school crusader who thinks Boise St. could really compete week in and week out with the SEC. But that's not really the point. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to argue -- either by observation or with an obscurantist mathematical formula -- that the two teams in the Championship Game really are the two "best" teams. If you're willing to do that why not just take it one step further and have the formula decide the champion, too?

No sport is more dominated by a small group than tennis. In the last six years, only once has a tennis Grand Slam tournament been won by someone other than Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic (this is about as long as it's been since a team outside the SEC has won the national championship, incidentally). Yet they still make those men work their way through the brackets in every case, despite the routine inevitability of some of the early matches.

College football is the only sport I can think of that violates this basic competitive principle. It must change.

JCane
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Playoff or not, the SEC earns it. They DO play a tough conference schedule.

NO ONE ELSE DOES!

How many tough games does North Carolina have coming this season? NONE. Not ONE.

Same for Florida State. Virginia Tech. Miami has the toughest schedule in the ACC because we play Notre Dame in Chicago. What a joke of a conference. Not one tough team in any conference outside of the SEC. You keep talking about these guys have to play a few tough games when no one else plays any.

You guys want a playoff so that it's fair but then people will want to limit the number of SEC schools that can get in. BCS has gotten it right the past five years. SEC winners the past five years. That's how you know they got it right because no one else can beat the SEC except the SEC.

Alabama over LSU.

nyjunc
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
The ACC has been bad for a while but the Big 12(before defections), and others have had worthy teams. Carolina 2 years ago despite all the suspensions nearly beat one of the best SEC teams in SEC Country to start the year.

TheWalrus
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Playoff or not, the SEC earns it. They DO play a tough conference schedule.

NO ONE ELSE DOES!

How many tough games does North Carolina have coming this season? NONE. Not ONE.

Same for Florida State. Virginia Tech. Miami has the toughest schedule in the ACC because we play Notre Dame in Chicago. What a joke of a conference. Not one tough team in any conference outside of the SEC. You keep talking about these guys have to play a few tough games when no one else plays any.

You guys want a playoff so that it's fair but then people will want to limit the number of SEC schools that can get in. BCS has gotten it right the past five years. SEC winners the past five years. That's how you know they got it right because no one else can beat the SEC except the SEC.

Alabama over LSU.

Champions are not determined in any sport by the number of tough games they win en route to the Championship Game. They are determined by who wins that game.

Outcomes are a remarkably good way to clear up futile arguments about "better." Georgia went 7-1 in the SEC East last year, yet lost to Boise St. and Michigan St. Does that make them "worse" than those two teams? I honestly have no idea. "Better" and "worse" are arbitrary and subjective terms. The point in sports is winning, and playoff systems are about winning. Mathematical formulas and circular arguments about strength of schedule are not about winning.

The implication in your argument, I think, is that the SEC is it's own playoff system. Whichever team emerges from that conference is going to be one of the two best teams in the country. But this is a condescending form of bull****, no? Especially when the argument progresses to it's next logical point, which is that the two best SEC teams should play each other in the Championship Game every year regardless whether they've played before. I heard this argument a few times last year with people clamoring for an Auburn/Alabama rematch.

Why have these pointless arguments -- which often serve to do nothing other than dredge up regional squabbles -- when we can just have a playoff system?