PDA

View Full Version : 10 names in the next 10 picks you want...

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM
i want to seem em...frankly fellas i think this thing is breaking great for us right now..

fininpsl
04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Lot's of talent left on the board. I'd go Upshaw, Branch, or Curry. That said I'd also be happy with a WR or an OT (there's 4 solid guys left). It would be hard to say no to Jonathan Martin if he's still there when we pick.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
that's 4 names and branch blows...and martin lacks strength and needs time before he's ready to play...give me 10...

lets go fellas...don't dick around...

finsfanjay13
04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
A lot of good players have fallen into the second round in my opinion and I'm quite happy with that. Here are 10 names (in no particular order):

Stephen Hill
Coby Fleener
Jonathan Martin
Courtney Upshaw
Cordy Glenn
Rueben Randle
Lavonte David
Dwayne Allen
Vinny Curry
Peter Konz

datruth55
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I agree hoops, it's looking pretty good for us. My top 10 in no particular order.

Courtney Upshaw
Jonathan Martin
Vinny Curry
Coby Fleener
Rueben Randle
Mohamed Sanu
Peter Konz
Janoris Jenkins
Alfonzo Dennard
Stephen Hill

MiamiDolphin618
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
My top 10 would be something like this:
1. Janoris Jenkins
2. Coby Fleener
3. Stephen Hill
4. Lavonte David
5. Courtney Upshaw
6. Andre Branch
7. Reuben Randle
8. Jerel Worthy
9. Vinny Curry
10.Cordy Glenn

Id be happy with any of them..or a few others. But if we get someone in the top 5 of my list...I will be thrilled..completely thrilled.

Canadi-Phin
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
A lot of good players have fallen into the second round in my opinion and I'm quite happy with that. Here are 10 names (in no particular order):

Stephen Hill
Coby Fleener
Jonathan Martin
Courtney Upshaw
Cordy Glenn
Rueben Randle
Lavonte David
Dwayne Allen
Vinny Curry
Peter Konz

Your list is spot on. If we get one of those guys, each one would help fill a need.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:27 PM
truth...dennard too high...sanu too high given his wheels...

Roman529
04-26-2012, 11:27 PM
1. Fleener
2. J. Martin
3. Courtney Upshaw
4. Cordy Glenn
5. Stephen Hill
6. Alshon Jeffrey
7. Devon Still
8. Andre Branch
9. Vinny Curry
10. Mohamed Sanu
11. Bobbi Massie....my 2nd round pick below in my mock.

I'd be happy with any of them.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
My top 10 would be something like this:
1. Janoris Jenkins
2. Coby Fleener
3. Stephen Hill
4. Lavonte David
5. Courtney Upshaw
6. Andre Branch
7. Reuben Randle
8. Jerel Worthy
9. Vinny Curry
10.Cordy Glenn

Id be happy with any of them..or a few others. But if we get someone in the top 5 of my list...I will be thrilled..completely thrilled.

not branch...and maybe not upshaw...we need pass rush...other than bull rush and hand strength upshaw lacks rush arsenal...

Twitches Brew
04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
1 - Jon Martin
2 Trumaine Johnson
3 Janoris Jenkins
4 Jeff Allen
5 Jerel Worthy
6 Lavonte David
7 Fleener
8 Upshaw
9 T.Y. Hilton or Randle
10 Amini Silatolu

And agreed, the top 50 picks this year are breaking well.

datruth55
04-26-2012, 11:31 PM
truth...dennard too high...sanu too high given his wheels...
True on Sanu but he's sure handed and a good route runner. You told me 10 guys...I only like 8 as a fit...if none of those 8 are there trade down.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
david, konz, fleener, hill (pure upside) glenn jenkins...glenn this late is a steal imo...right tackle and left guard great feet...konz is a better football player on tape than zeitler just not as athletic

maybe upshaw maybe randle maybe curry

MiamiDolphin618
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
not branch...and maybe not upshaw...we need pass rush...other than bull rush and hand strength upshaw lacks rush arsenal...
Well Id rather have the top 5..haha. But Branch Ill give you..I like Upshaw though. Hes violent with his hands..he isnt an explosive pass rusher..but by all means I think he could get consistent pressure (alot more so that Misi). In my opinion, theres quite a big drop after those top 5. If its me Im looking to move up if I need to and get one of those top 4. I think Jenkins is going to be there for the taking if we just man up and pull the trigger. He would do so much for our D

PJack
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Fleener, Upshaw, Hill, Randle, Curry, Jenkins, Glenn, Worthy, Massie, Konz. In that order.

finsfanjay13
04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Fleener, Upshaw, Hill, Randle, Curry, Jenkins, Glenn, Worthy, Massie, Konz. In that order.

Which Jenkins? Assuming Janoris since AJ was already drafted...

datruth55
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
david, konz, fleener, hill (pure upside) glenn jenkins...glenn this late is a steal imo...right tackle and left guard great feet...konz is a better football player on tape than zeitler just not as athletic

maybe upshaw maybe randle maybe curry
Thought about David. Are you that high on him that you're ready to make him our Will backer?

mmikel30
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
1. Courtney Upshaw
2. Stephen Hill
3. Coby Fleener
4. Janoris Jenkins
5. Vinny Curry
6. Jerel Worthy
7. Ruben Randle
8. Mohamed Sanu
9. Cordy Glenn
10. Alshon Jeffrey

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
david, konz, fleener, hill (pure upside) glenn jenkins...glenn this late is a steal imo...right tackle and left guard great feet...konz is a better football player on tape than zeitler just not as athletic maybe upshaw maybe randle maybe curry silotalu has fantastic feet but low level comp...i do like him though...we will get a good football player...issue with sanu imo is every catch contested...not much burst out of cuts etc...a bull with the ball though

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Thought about David. Are you that high on him that you're ready to make him our Will backer?

hell yes...if koa can't cut it in a 43 i make dansby my mike burnett my strong again though 43 and david my will...he's as instinctual as any lb in this draft can run can cover and willing to hit...he's barring off the field w janoris jenkins the bpa right now...then cordy glenn is 3rd fleener right there also

PJack
04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Which Jenkins? Assuming Janoris since AJ was already drafted...

Yup Janoris. Thought AJ went 20-30 picks early.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Well Id rather have the top 5..haha. But Branch Ill give you..I like Upshaw though. Hes violent with his hands..he isnt an explosive pass rusher..but by all means I think he could get consistent pressure (alot more so that Misi). In my opinion, theres quite a big drop after those top 5. If its me Im looking to move up if I need to and get one of those top 4. I think Jenkins is going to be there for the taking if we just man up and pull the trigger. He would do so much for our D

jenkins would be gone by now if people weren't SEVERELY spooked by his off the field...i'm thinking with ireland he's off our board...but i love the talent...thats top 15 bpa all day long stuff...

dolfan91
04-26-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Konz would go a very long way in solving the O-line issues, especially when snapping issues showed up again, at the recent mini camp with Pouncey. Move Incognito to RG and move Pouncey to LG. I think this line would be great!!!

TheWalrus
04-26-2012, 11:49 PM
I'd like to see Randle slide to us but I doubt that happens. I definitely feel like the next pick will be offensive line, with the target probably being Massie. It won't be Glenn. You don't take a 350 pounder and put him in a ZBS. Not happening.

I could see a pass rusher like Curry. I mean, I don't think that's what's happening, but it wouldn't shock me. Andre Branch makes sense on paper, but the Dolphins didn't meet with him that I know, which probably eliminates him. They met with Courtney Upshaw, but the next time Jeff Ireland takes a player with Upshaw's body type it will be the first.

Fleener could happen but can anyone see him slipping past the Colts? I can't. That would have to be a trade up. One could who could surprise is Ladarius Green.

The Dolphins met with more WRs than any other position, so you can't rule those out. I have a hard time believing Stephen Hill will fall much further but you never know. Other guys they've met with in this value area are Alshon Jeffery and Chris Givens.

I don't see it being Konz. The guy stands out on tape but apparently teams are concerned with his medical history. I read on a different board about some red flags there.

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
i only said 10 names cause we are 10 spots away...but i gurantee ireland feels like he's in a good spot right now...this draft has broken well for us...my damn man aj jenkins went off which i hated and so did bruce irvin and i'm sorry but thats too high but there's 1st round talent on the board still and great value at #42...value i didn't see being there...another thing if fleener gets by the colts barring someone trading up that kid could fall right in our laps...look at the teams in front of us at the te position...they're all filled barring the colts

fleener would fit well in philbins o

hooshoops
04-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd like to see Randle slide to us but I doubt that happens. I definitely feel like the next pick will be offensive line, with the target probably being Massie. It won't be Glenn. You don't take a 350 pounder and put him in a ZBS. Not happening.

I could see a pass rusher like Curry. I mean, I don't think that's what's happening, but it wouldn't shock me. Andre Branch makes sense on paper, but the Dolphins didn't meet with him that I know, which probably eliminates him. They met with Courtney Upshaw, but the next time Jeff Ireland takes a player with Upshaw's body type it will be the first.

Fleener could happen but can anyone see him slipping past the Colts? I can't. That would have to be a trade up. One could who could surprise is Ladarius Green.

The Dolphins met with more WRs than any other position, so you can't rule those out. I have a hard time believing Stephen Hill will fall much further but you never know. Other guys they've met with in this value area are Alshon Jeffery and Chris Givens.

I don't see it being Konz. The guy stands out on tape but apparently teams are concerned with his medical history. I read on a different board about some red flags there.

yeah glenn in a zbs despite those feet is a hard sell...but i think he's a top 20 bpa all told...if konz is dropping for med thats makes more sense than the tape..cause the tapes great

branch blows...i don't want that bum...he moves well and has great cod and no doubt is a olb pro fit but his pass rush puts me to sleep

dolfan91
04-26-2012, 11:58 PM
yeah glenn in a zbs despite those feet is a hard sell...but i think he's a top 20 bpa all told...if konz is dropping for med thats makes more sense than the tape..cause the tapes great

branch blows...i don't want that bum...he moves well and has great cod and no doubt is a olb pro fit but his pass rush puts me to sleep
Are there medical issues with Konz?

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
if they take massie with what's still on the board i'm gonna be slightly dissappointed...although i like his value i see higher rated guys still there

edaniel1717
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
1. J. Jenkins
2. Upshaw
3. Stephen Hill
4. Reuben Randle
5. Fleener
6. Jerel Worthy
7. Alshon Jeffery
8.Cordy Glenn
9. J. Martin
10. A. branch

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Are there medical issues with Konz?

Here's the link where I read that apparently there are:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51856&page=21

I don't know if it's true, obviously. Take it for what it's worth.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:03 AM
walrus why randle out of all the guys left??? do tell...

by the way you get medical red flags on guys disclose them asap...that goes for all you guys...i get any info i give it up...and if konz is dropping for that i want to know

por favor

Canadi-Phin
04-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Hoops, Who's on your top ten left?

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
personally i think you wait on the oline here...cause i see depth there as of right now i expect to last a little bit...the run on pass rushers must be coming...but this classes edge rushers is meh anyways...

datruth55
04-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Casserly is saying a run on O-line, WR and Pass rusher is coming at the top of round 2.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Casserly is saying a run on O-line, WR and Pass rusher is coming at the top of round 2.

hmmm....what pass rusher you really like here though to the point you pass up something else...i tell ya what if fleener gets by the colts given the low price i've seen to move up i'm going to get him at say #35...if possible...thats a seam buster right there for philbins o

some reason i doubt they'll do it though

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 12:16 AM
walrus why randle out of all the guys left??? do tell...

by the way you get medical red flags on guys disclose them asap...that goes for all you guys...i get any info i give it up...and if konz is dropping for that i want to know

I'm not sure he would be my absolutely top choice. I'm sort of trying to project based on what I think is going to happen (Fleener not being there, especially. And also who the Dolphins have met with). But I do think WR is a big need and I like him better than Hill. Randle, to me, is a vastly underrated receiver because of the quarterback he plays with. Good size, underrated speed, runs routes well, makes tough catches. I think he's a better prospect than Dwayne Bowe was and is a more consistent catcher and by all reports a good character guy, too.

I think there's some good depth in the middle rounds at OL, which is why I'd target Randle. But I just think that when it's all said and done, OL is a bigger need and with a head coach who used to be an offensive line coach and who mentions at every opportunity the necessity of improving the play of that unit I just find it hard to believe they'd pass.

One caveat, though. When you look at the people Miami met with (compiled by the Universal Draft guys), it's sort of light of offensive linemen who are going to be available @ 42. It seems more like a 3rd and 4th rounders kind of list. Massie and Osemele are really the only tackles who make sense and the only 2nd round kind of guard is 345 pound Brandon Brooks. I can't see that.

Of the likely options, my favorite is a trade up to go get Randle. But unfortunately, I can definitely the Rams targeting him. Hopefully St. Louis takes Hill instead or accepts like a fourth or fifth to move up. Omar says we tried to trade up back into the 1st round, so it could definitely be something we're targeting.

*note: I posted the link where I read about teams knocking down Konz for medical issues on the previous page*

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure he would be my absolutely top choice. I'm sort of trying to project based on what I think is going to happen (Fleener not being there, especially. And also who the Dolphins have met with). But I do think WR is a big need and I like him better than Hill. Randle, to me, is a vastly underrated receiver because of the quarterback he plays with. Good size, underrated speed, runs routes well, makes tough catches. I think he's a better prospect than Dwayne Bowe was and is a more consistent catcher and by all reports a good character guy, too.

I think there's some good depth in the middle rounds at OL, which is why I'd target Randle. But I just think that when it's all said and done, OL is a bigger need and with a head coach who used to be an offensive line coach and who mentions at every opportunity the necessity of improving the play of that unit I just find it hard to believe they'd pass.

One caveat, though. When you look at the people Miami met with (compiled by the Universal Draft guys), it's sort of light of offensive linemen who are going to be available @ 42. It seems more like a 3rd and 4th rounders kind of list. Massie and Osemele are really the only tackles who make sense and the only 2nd round kind of guard is 345 pound Brandon Brooks. I can't see that.

Of the likely options, my favorite is a trade up to go get Randle. But unfortunately, I can definitely the Rams targeting him. Hopefully St. Louis takes Hill instead or accepts like a fourth or fifth to move up. Omar says we tried to trade up back into the 1st round, so it could definitely be something we're targeting.

if i trade up its for fleener...but yeah i see what you're saying...especially the oline meets looks like geared to mid rounds...i like randle also and that height at almost 6 ft 3 is sweet...he's got what i call deceptive long speed...you don't think he's gonna run by you til he does

i might trade up for david also...i just love that guy

we tried to trade up huh...interesting

datruth55
04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
hmmm....what pass rusher you really like here though to the point you pass up something else...i tell ya what if fleener gets by the colts given the low price i've seen to move up i'm going to get him at say #35...if possible...thats a seam buster right there for philbins o

some reason i doubt they'll do it though
I think he's talking about Andre Branch, Upshaw and Curry...none of which I would trade up for but that's me. It would depend on who else is there but I would consider taking Curry at #42. I like Upshaw but I'm having trouble see how he fits in the new defense but then I'm not entirely sure what this new defense looks like.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I think he's talking about Andre Branch, Upshaw and Curry...none of which I would trade up for but that's me. It would depend on who else is there but I would consider taking Curry at #42. I like Upshaw but I'm having trouble see how he fits in the new defense but then I'm not entirely sure what this new defense looks like.

i think i pass on all 3 given what i see still available...curry might be the exception...upshaws lack of length hurts with ireland and branch i hate but given his length i'm scared at #42

seedgarden
04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
True on Sanu but he's sure handed and a good route runner. You told me 10 guys...I only like 8 as a fit...if none of those 8 are there trade down.

I am a Rutgers alum and I watched every snap Sanu took. He had a horrible QB situation to deal with his Jr and Sr year....and he had at least 2 NFL prospects to compete with that Sr year and still demolished the school's single season reception record.... remember Kenny Britt was there.

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
if i trade up its for fleener...but yeah i see what you're saying...especially the oline meets looks like geared to mid rounds...i like randle also and that height at almost 6 ft 3 is sweet...he's got what i call deceptive long speed...you don't think he's gonna run by you til he does

i might trade up for david also...i just love that guy

we tried to trade up huh...interesting

Either Fleener or Randle would make me very happy. Fleener is the better player, imo, but Randle is close enough to him and is just a bigger need. The way Philbin talked about Clay I'm not sure whether they're targeting a TE in the 2nd.

In the third round, though, Ladarius Green would be a really interesting pick. He's got some big time upside if he can add weight and strength. He's got some Jermichael Finley in him, which Philbin would love. His college even ran a ZBS blocking scheme and some of the bootleg action plays off of it (though obviously Fleener would be even a better fit scheme wise).

I'd rather have Randle and Green than, say, Fleener and Chris Givens, is sort of what I'm getting at. Which makes me kind of crazy, because I love Fleener. But needs are needs and the draft is what it is.

David is a heckuva player, really fun to watch, but it won't be him. Just too short.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Either Fleener or Randle would make me very happy. Fleener is the better player, imo, but Randle is close enough to him and is just a bigger need. The way Philbin talked about Clay I'm not sure whether they're targeting a TE in the 2nd. In the third round, like I said, Ladarius Green would be a really interesting pick. He's got some big time upside if he can add weight and strength. I can picture Philbin seeing a guy with some Jermichael Finley in him. His college even ran a ZBS blocking scheme and some of the bootleg action plays off of it (though obviously Fleener would be even a better fit scheme wise).

David is a heckuva player, really fun to watch, but it won't be him. Just too short.

yeah the height with david makes me doubt there's a shot...we'd rather have 6 ft 4 guys like spitler who have zero instincts...but if its 43 til he goes i won't rule it out

i think fleener is who looks like finley for us given he can flex out right now and get coverage matchups with safeties etc but green i think is more at least a round 3 consideration given how raw he is and how light in the pants he is...he can separate though out of cuts unlike egnew

given the way this is shaking out right now green is a 4th round guy for me at least

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
here's something to ponder...you part with a 3rd rounder in the marshall trade ie early 70's and #42 for pick #33??? something i consider for fleener...heavily...although that pick the first on day 2 usually pulls a high return

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 12:48 AM
here's something to ponder...you part with a 3rd rounder in the marshall trade ie early 70's and #42 for pick #33??? something i consider for fleener...heavily...although that pick the first on day 2 usually pulls a high return

That's giving up too much. According to the chart, going from #42 to #33 should cost you a high fourth rounder. Maybe there's some inflation because it's the first pick on the 2nd day, but not that much.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
That's giving up too much. According to the chart, going from #42 to #33 should cost you a high fourth rounder. Maybe there's some inflation because it's the first pick on the 2nd day, but not that much.

i've seen that pick cost more...but for a 4th rounder i think i make the trade...i still doubt they will though

dolfan_101
04-27-2012, 12:51 AM

it's somethig I think Philbin is probably pulling for right now, we need some sort of miss match weapon and Fleener fits that mold a la jermichael Finley.

TheBow305
04-27-2012, 01:01 AM
1. Reuben Randle

2. Courtney Upshaw

3. Stephen Hill

4. Coby Fleener

5. Alshon Jeffery

6. Jonathan Martin

7. Mohamed Sanu

8. Mike Adams

9. Cordy Glenn

10. Janoris Jenkins

Dogbone34
04-27-2012, 01:02 AM
I'll take Alshon Jeffrey

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 01:06 AM
i've seen that pick cost more...but for a 4th rounder i think i make the trade...i still doubt they will though
Well the Rams did trade down to 14 for only a 2nd rounder. Im sure they would trade back to pick up an extra 4th. They are stockpiling mid rounders

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:09 AM
did ireland really say i didn't draft a qb in the first round for him to be a backup like darlington just said??? makes me think ireland wants the kid to win the job asap

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Another thing to think about, relative to taking an OL in the 2nd.

What did the Jets do in the 1st round? Take Quinton Coples.

What did the Patriots do in the 1st round? Take Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

What did Buffalo do this offseason? Add Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to what was already one of the better defensive lines in football.

Scary. You better protect the quarterback if you're going to succeed in the AFC East. Last year we were awful on the right side and so far we've added... Artis Hicks?

You better have a heck of a training staff if you're going to roll into division games with this group. Yeesh. I don't love Bobbie Massie as a prospect but he might have just leaped to #1 on my list (based on the list of guys Miami's met with. In terms of OLs if I had my pick in the 2nd it would be Jonathan Martin).

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 01:23 AM
Another thing to think about, relative to taking an OL in the 2nd.

What did the Jets do in the 1st round? Take Quinton Coples.

What did the Patriots do in the 1st round? Take Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

What did Buffalo do this offseason? Add Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to what was already one of the better defensive lines in football.

Scary. You better protect the quarterback if you're going to succeed in the AFC East. Last year we were awful on the right side and so far we've added... Artis Hicks?

You better have a heck of a training staff if you're going to roll into division games with this group. Yeesh.
While I completely agree we have to upgrade the O-line...I just think some of these guys are too good to pass up just to fill a need. I think there will still be some solid O-line prospects in the 3rd. You make a pretty scary point though...haha. Plus Philibin said something along the lines of keeping a QB upright and giving him a clean pocket is critical for young QBS

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:30 AM
call me crazy but i believe that there's a upgrade to colombo at right tackle already in house...i think we have guys who can play right tackle/right guard in jerry garner and murtha

not sayin i wouldn't go get guys but i wouldn't let that need trump talent for us

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 01:35 AM
call me crazy but i believe that there's a upgrade to colombo at right tackle already in house...i think we have guys who can play right tackle/right guard in jerry garner and murtha

not sayin i wouldn't go get guys but i wouldn't let that need trump talent for us
Anything is an upgrade over Columbo. But I agree. I think we still pick up either a RG or RT with one of our 3rds. But Im not passing up a chance at a guy like Fleener or Jenkins or Hill so I can take a RT like Massie. PS did you ever find out if what Darlington said was true? I hope they let Tanny have a legit shot at starting. I think Moore gets traded or something happens because there is no way Tanny is a 3rd stringer getting no reps.

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM

I don't think you're crazy but I think it's difficult to feel good rolling into a season with a guy who can't stay healthy (Murtha) and another one who's yet to find a way to get his fat ass on the field (Jerry) as the competition for the starting job at RT.

I dunno. It's not like there's a "solution" to the problem at this point of the draft, anyway, no matter what you do. The mistake was made several moves ago when we let Winston out the door. Huge error, that was. Huge.

fishfanmiami
04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Listening to the coach on Finsider after the pick he emphasized the O line. I think that's were they go. Then reciever and pass rusher in the 3rd.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Listening to the coach on Finsider after the pick he emphasized the O line. I think that's were they go. Then reciever and pass rusher in the 3rd.
I would go OL too. Mike Adams was dominant in the Senior Bowl. There wont be any pass rushers left in rd 3 though. Upshaw might be the smarter pick.

JohnnyFear
04-27-2012, 02:42 AM

If you donīt take DE/OLB in round 2, then you can go entire draft without picking anybody.

RichmondWeb
04-27-2012, 03:15 AM
I hope we draft Fleener or Hill(or both), and LaMicheal James tomorrow.

RW

roy_miami
04-27-2012, 03:16 AM
The second round looks more intriguing than the first did. I hope we get Hill.

Awsi Dooger
04-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Offensive line makes sense in the second. Quarterback was the position targeted for upgrade before Philbin arrived. Once he got here, the most specific he's been on any topic is need to boost athletic ability on the offensive line. It's his long term area of expertise, after all. I don't think for a second he's buying the false hope on guys like Jerry or Murtha.

Wide receiver is deep enough to address in the third and beyond.

I'm not sure who we'll prioritize but rooting for Cordy Glenn to go before our pick is logical. As others have posted, despite his athletic ability he doesn't appear to fit what Philbin wants.

cullenbigcstill
04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Hoops, been a long time lurker, now a gettin a bit chatty lately, just excited about coming back to the States less than a month to go.....here's my 10 In no particular order:

1. CB, Jammell Fleming. I feel this corner has great hips and very fluid in the back pedal, got talent and very similar to Vontae Davis, will come up and stick the run. is very good in man coverage and I feel he could be on an island, not too sure about our new quarters defense and if that relies on good man coverage corners....please fill me in....i'm eager to learn.

2. CB, Trumaine Johnson. Another physical corner who has great talent, may take a lil while for him to get to speed in the speed of the NFL, ofcourse we like the Montana Connection....so I definitely believe he is on Irelands board. I also believe he is what they hoped they would have got in Sean Smith.

3. ILB, Lavonte David. Local kid who is tough and instinctual. Learned about him from you guys here on the board, seems a bit small for Irelands past preferences, but I have a feeling that Jeff Ireland maybe willing to change beliefs on old Parcellian concepts especially with this new staff.

4. OLB, Ronnel Lewis. Has had some injuries, but great at forcing turnovers, something this defense sorely lacks, and I feel would be a better OLB in a 4-3 than Burnett would be or could be.

5. DE, Vinny Curry. Some like him, some don't, but I feel the talent level after him and Branch dips significantly after them. I don't believe in Vernon, and the next DE should be available in the 4th round IMO.

6. OT, Johnathan Martin. Afirst round talent for sure, a guy mocked to us at #8 a few months back. I'm surprised he's not a first rounder, a smart guy who is quite athletic and has the ablility to be a good pass protector and run blocker. Has the ability to double as a RT and swing T. I am not as comfortable in believing that Murtha is what Martin is. Time will tell i'm sure, just think this guy is a very good value selection here!

7. C, Peter Konz. Another great value pick, definitely not sexy, but a guy who could slide to guard or move Pouncey to LG. I know many feel Pouncey would make an excellent LG, which I believe too. He was great as a rookie playing C, imagine what an even better C would do for our line. We could move Incognito to his more natural position of RG. This 1 selection could possibly improve 3 positions on the O-line!

8. OG/T, Cordy Glenn. I initially wrote this guy off because of his size, but what an athlete! If they could get him to drop to 330 while maintaining his strength and improving athleticism, this too would be an outstanding selection improving that right side of the line, again, not a very sexy pick, but when Reggie, DT and co. can run through huge holes, which will open up the passing game, we'd certainly see the sexiness of the selection of another 1st round talent but getting it at pick #42.

9. Big WR's: WR, Stephen Hill(explosive); WR, Rueben Randle(in between both guys here, great route runner); WR, Mohammed Sanu (slow, but quick, great route runner, physical guy). I am just wowed by Hill's athletic ability, and he made some acrobatic catches. He also is a very good run blocker, so it would seem to be a great selection. But why didn't they throw a bit more when they had that kind of recieving talent.....

Reuben Randle has had averaqe QB play and he just makes play after play, can get YAC, seems to be a quicker Dwayne Bowe type. But from what I have seen isnt great at selling cuts, but he's got strength and always finds a soft spot, seems very QB friendly, and I've heard that he's a perfect fit as a WCO, and seeing his size and speed numbers and draft value just screams Jordy Nelson to me.....

Mohammed Sanu is a guy who tested slow, I don't like the slow receiver's, how are they going to break a jam, but he has some Randle to his game, and always found a way to break long gains, seems to play with heart and intangibles. All 3 of these guys have shown the ability to catch passes hi and low, showing great flexibility, and agility in their catchability....I didn't mean to make it rhyme like that, but it just flew off the finger tips, which are starting to hurt!

10. Smaller WR's: WR, Chris Givens; WR, Ryan Broyles; WR, Joe Adams. Chris Givens is a great athlete, can run the route tree which is important, is explosive, but is it straight-line speed, you guys tell me, I value your opinions. I do like him, but I think he's available to us in the 3rd as probably the other 2 are as well.....

Ryan Broyles is just got an attitude about him at the WR position, he's tough and just won't be denied, I really like him, and think when he heals will become the beast he was. He would have been gone at this pick before the injury, so I put him here cuz I think h fits Philbin's WR to a T......

Joe Adams is electric, explosive will return, how about those returns, man the way he can cut at full speed, his agility is awesome, and has very good hands as well, I think he'd be great at slant routes which will be a staple of ours....again please tell me what you guys think....dam time to try out two different fingers to type with!

I do think that we will go one big and one small at the WR position, so that's why I did that....

11. BONUS: TE, Dwayne Allen. IMO, this TE is quick, explosive and strong in "pads." He is physical, which I love out of a TE, he would replace Fasano instantly and he would be a very good inline blocker, and receiving TE. Watching him in pads he looks fast and dominant. It was a surprise to see the slow 40 time, but the guy can play some football. I think he's one of those guys that you must overlook the 40 time with, he is a football player.
I think Fleener has great size and measurables, but think he's a bit too finesse, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a great pick, I just prefer tough and physical at TE. I do not see Gronkowski in Fleener, Gronk is so imposing with his brute strength and size, and quickness, I believe in pads that Allen is much closer to Gronk.

So, don't kill me hoops....I know its more than 10, but I got amped doing this, I'm getting ready to crash early today so I can wake up at 4 in the morning again to watch the 2nd round tonite! i'm glad my chief is an NFL fan, but unfortunately he's a Jets fan!

Fin Thirteen
04-27-2012, 06:02 AM
I hope we either trade up to the top of the second or trade up from the third to the second with our extra third rounder.

If we trade up from #42, I'd be chasing:

Courtney Upshaw (the smartest pas rusher in the draft - I could care less about his variety of moves, this guy has hands like chainsaws and thinks his way to the QB)
Kelechi Osemele
Stephen Hill

Staying Put:
Brandon Brooks
Reuben Randle
Vinny Curry

Trading up from the third to middle second:
Alshon Jeffrey
Mohammed Sanu
Jayron Hosely
Lavonte David

normaniii
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
1-Upshaw - ideal IMO for flex D
2-J.Martin - Philbin talked about mobile O'lineman approx 315-320lbs
3-P.Konz - I love the idea of moving Pouncey to Gaurd.
4-Janoris Jenkins
5-Amini Silatolu
5-Andre Branch
7-Vinny Curry
8-M.Sanu
9-J.Robinson
10-B.Massie

fishbanger
04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
S. Hill
J Jenkins
Branch
curry
R. Randle
Osemele
D. Allen
Upshaw
L. David
Trade down

utahphinsfan
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Here is my guess for tonight

2) Branch or Curry
3a) Givens
3b) Bergstrom

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Coby Fleener

Vinny Curry

Courtney Upshaw

Cordy Glenn

Kelechi Osemele

Stephen Hill

Janoris Jenkins

Mohamed Sanu

Alshon Jeffrey

Mychal Kendricks

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Hoops, been a long time lurker, now a gettin a bit chatty lately, just excited about coming back to the States less than a month to go.....here's my 10 In no particular order:

1. CB, Jammell Fleming. I feel this corner has great hips and very fluid in the back pedal, got talent and very similar to Vontae Davis, will come up and stick the run. is very good in man coverage and I feel he could be on an island, not too sure about our new quarters defense and if that relies on good man coverage corners....please fill me in....i'm eager to learn.

2. CB, Trumaine Johnson. Another physical corner who has great talent, may take a lil while for him to get to speed in the speed of the NFL, ofcourse we like the Montana Connection....so I definitely believe he is on Irelands board. I also believe he is what they hoped they would have got in Sean Smith.

3. ILB, Lavonte David. Local kid who is tough and instinctual. Learned about him from you guys here on the board, seems a bit small for Irelands past preferences, but I have a feeling that Jeff Ireland maybe willing to change beliefs on old Parcellian concepts especially with this new staff.

4. OLB, Ronnel Lewis. Has had some injuries, but great at forcing turnovers, something this defense sorely lacks, and I feel would be a better OLB in a 4-3 than Burnett would be or could be.

5. DE, Vinny Curry. Some like him, some don't, but I feel the talent level after him and Branch dips significantly after them. I don't believe in Vernon, and the next DE should be available in the 4th round IMO.

6. OT, Johnathan Martin. Afirst round talent for sure, a guy mocked to us at #8 a few months back. I'm surprised he's not a first rounder, a smart guy who is quite athletic and has the ablility to be a good pass protector and run blocker. Has the ability to double as a RT and swing T. I am not as comfortable in believing that Murtha is what Martin is. Time will tell i'm sure, just think this guy is a very good value selection here!

7. C, Peter Konz. Another great value pick, definitely not sexy, but a guy who could slide to guard or move Pouncey to LG. I know many feel Pouncey would make an excellent LG, which I believe too. He was great as a rookie playing C, imagine what an even better C would do for our line. We could move Incognito to his more natural position of RG. This 1 selection could possibly improve 3 positions on the O-line!

8. OG/T, Cordy Glenn. I initially wrote this guy off because of his size, but what an athlete! If they could get him to drop to 330 while maintaining his strength and improving athleticism, this too would be an outstanding selection improving that right side of the line, again, not a very sexy pick, but when Reggie, DT and co. can run through huge holes, which will open up the passing game, we'd certainly see the sexiness of the selection of another 1st round talent but getting it at pick #42.

9. Big WR's: WR, Stephen Hill(explosive); WR, Rueben Randle(in between both guys here, great route runner); WR, Mohammed Sanu (slow, but quick, great route runner, physical guy). I am just wowed by Hill's athletic ability, and he made some acrobatic catches. He also is a very good run blocker, so it would seem to be a great selection. But why didn't they throw a bit more when they had that kind of recieving talent.....

Reuben Randle has had averaqe QB play and he just makes play after play, can get YAC, seems to be a quicker Dwayne Bowe type. But from what I have seen isnt great at selling cuts, but he's got strength and always finds a soft spot, seems very QB friendly, and I've heard that he's a perfect fit as a WCO, and seeing his size and speed numbers and draft value just screams Jordy Nelson to me.....

Mohammed Sanu is a guy who tested slow, I don't like the slow receiver's, how are they going to break a jam, but he has some Randle to his game, and always found a way to break long gains, seems to play with heart and intangibles. All 3 of these guys have shown the ability to catch passes hi and low, showing great flexibility, and agility in their catchability....I didn't mean to make it rhyme like that, but it just flew off the finger tips, which are starting to hurt!

10. Smaller WR's: WR, Chris Givens; WR, Ryan Broyles; WR, Joe Adams. Chris Givens is a great athlete, can run the route tree which is important, is explosive, but is it straight-line speed, you guys tell me, I value your opinions. I do like him, but I think he's available to us in the 3rd as probably the other 2 are as well.....

Ryan Broyles is just got an attitude about him at the WR position, he's tough and just won't be denied, I really like him, and think when he heals will become the beast he was. He would have been gone at this pick before the injury, so I put him here cuz I think h fits Philbin's WR to a T......

Joe Adams is electric, explosive will return, how about those returns, man the way he can cut at full speed, his agility is awesome, and has very good hands as well, I think he'd be great at slant routes which will be a staple of ours....again please tell me what you guys think....dam time to try out two different fingers to type with!

I do think that we will go one big and one small at the WR position, so that's why I did that....

11. BONUS: TE, Dwayne Allen. IMO, this TE is quick, explosive and strong in "pads." He is physical, which I love out of a TE, he would replace Fasano instantly and he would be a very good inline blocker, and receiving TE. Watching him in pads he looks fast and dominant. It was a surprise to see the slow 40 time, but the guy can play some football. I think he's one of those guys that you must overlook the 40 time with, he is a football player.
I think Fleener has great size and measurables, but think he's a bit too finesse, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a great pick, I just prefer tough and physical at TE. I do not see Gronkowski in Fleener, Gronk is so imposing with his brute strength and size, and quickness, I believe in pads that Allen is much closer to Gronk.

So, don't kill me hoops....I know its more than 10, but I got amped doing this, I'm getting ready to crash early today so I can wake up at 4 in the morning again to watch the 2nd round tonite! i'm glad my chief is an NFL fan, but unfortunately he's a Jets fan!

you should post more and stop lurking...you got some very good insight...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
hey slimm...why no lavonte david and whats your take on massie??? sounds like the ravens want upshaw if he gets by the colts...teams calling about coming up for janoris jenkins...

what do you think about glenn in our system??? seems a little too damn large...i see someone in a power scheme pouncing there

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
hey slimm...why no lavonte david and whats your take on massie??? sounds like the ravens want upshaw if he gets by the colts...teams calling about coming up for janoris jenkins...

what do you think about glenn in our system??? seems a little too damn large...i see someone in a power scheme pouncing there

Two points on Lavonte David for me. First, he's not the best linebacker left on my board, Mychal Kendricks is. Secondly, I think he's more of a fit for the weakside in a Tampa or Cover-2 style defense. Hell of a player though. I'm looking for a 'Mike' at linebacker and David isn't that. I actually like Demorio Davis a little better than David anyway.

I don't have Massie graded this high on my board, I'd prefer Glenn or Osemele if they go tackle at the top of round 2. Cordy Glenn would be a nice fit for Miami at guard or tackle. If he isn't athletic enough to play in a ZBS then nobody is.

garbagemouth
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
1 - Jonathan Martin
2 - Stephen Hill
3 - Cordy Glenn
4 - Alshon Jeffery
5 - Coby Fleener
6 - Rueben Randle
7- Peter Konz
8 -Courtney Upshaw
9 - Mike Adams
10 - Lamichael James

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
How do you guys see this shaking out at the top of Rd. 2? Im thinking several trades again...I can see us moving up a few spots for someone we like...but I dont think we jump into the first few picks of the round

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
osemele scares me in space at right tackle...i like him more inside at guard...i guess with you looking for a mike you would have dansby playing strong and burnett playing will in a 43...kendricks is nice and fluid and i see solid instincts but at that height i wonder...same for david though with ireland and is a wolb fit anyways ...i could see them waiting on mike and plucking davis later who has the size ireland prefers...i think davis has a lot of upside and you've mentioned how good his instincts are

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
names i don't want here are jonathon martin, andre branch, alshon jeffery, mike adams...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I wonder what the cost is to move up to one of those top 3 slots or so? A 3rd would do it for sure I think...maybe a 4th. Or one of our 3rds next year. I dont know how Irelands board is looking right now...but if its me I would be looking to trade up and get Fleener, Jenkins, or Randle/Hill. Get an immediate impact player

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
you guys see courtney upshaw late in round 1 and at the end talking to saban??? that cat was pissed off he didn't hear his name...

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Courtney Upshaw isn't a pleasant fella when he's pissed off.

I figured his value was somewhere in the teens, but I'm not surprised to see him go in the 2nd round if teams stuck to their boards vertically and they looked anything like mine.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
i think he's going to the ravens or the colts...i could see pagano pounding the table for him...if they don't trade out...would you trade up for anyone here slimm cause sounds like a bunch of teams are looking to come up for guys like jenkins glenn etc...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Upshaw or Fleener to the Colts makes a lot of sense...but I heard yesterday they were trying to trade out. Im just going to continue to pound the table for Jenkins because his talent is ridiculous. Rams and Colts both need corners...but maybe they arent sold on Jenkins character (we probably arent either but this is me). Id offer them Sean Smith and our 2nd to move up and see if they bite. Smith will probably walk after this year anyways...and Jenkins is better.

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't really see anbody I'd trade up for. I'll have my choice of at least a few or more of the 10 players I'd target with this pick.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Upshaw or Fleener to the Colts makes a lot of sense...but I heard yesterday they were trying to trade out. Im just going to continue to pound the table for Jenkins because his talent is ridiculous. Rams and Colts both need corners...but maybe they arent sold on Jenkins character (we probably arent either but this is me). Id offer them Sean Smith and our 2nd to move up and see if they bite. Smith will probably walk after this year anyways...and Jenkins is better.

i'm not a sean smith fan but i'm not offering him up in that trade...i'd let him play out 2012 and then let him walk before i'd offer him as the piece in a trade up from #42...i'd offer something else though...maybe

have to think the rams will go wr here and maybe the browns so i would think randle and hill will come off...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
i'm not a sean smith fan but i'm not offering him up in that trade...i'd let him play out 2012 and then let him walk before i'd offer him as the piece in a trade up from #42...i'd offer something else though...maybe

have to think the rams will go wr here and maybe the browns so i would think randle and hill will come off...
Yeah I think Randle, Fleener, and Hill are all coming off early if there are no trade ups. Someone in that top three will trade out though

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
jenkins is coming off here soon also...someones gonna come up and get a hell of a talent early in round 2...and probably a team thats a contender already...

ireland tried to trade back into round 1 yesterday so maybe we're in the mix still on coming up...

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
The main thing is that Ireland avoid doing something entirely stupid here.

SamIam
04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
well upshaw be a good pick for us in the second round?

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
The main thing is that Ireland avoid doing something entirely stupid here.

ie andre branch...

lodogg357
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Right on With Winston, Huge Mistake.

Wildbill3
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
The main thing is that Ireland avoid doing something entirely stupid here.what would you consider a stupid move? trading up to pick up a player at this point? or drafting someone other than your top 10?

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
what did winston end up signing for with kc anyways??? i never saw the terms...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 12:40 PM
i don't believe trading up for one of the guys we've been talking about is a stupid idea but i do believe that the way this has played out if we stay put we will get a very good football player at #42...a very good prospect who can make an impact from jump

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
what would you consider a stupid move? trading up to pick up a player at this point? or drafting someone other than your top 10?

The Andre Branch example hoops provided is a good start.

There's more than 10 players that I would consider for this pick. I only listed 10 because hoops asked for 10.... there's a few other good players that Miami could take here that I didn't list.

A stupid pick here is passing any of them up for a Pat White type pick here, Bill.

EDIT: Or trading up for a RB that isn't even the best on left on the board... for example.

silverfin
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Vinny Curry. We need to address pass rush, and he is my preference now that Nick Perry is off the board. This class is deeper for receivers than it is pass rush IMO, the pass rush pool is getting shallow and we need to get our guy before nothing but scraps are left.

IMO Hill will be gone with the first pick to STL. Fleener will be going to Indy. Fleener I love but right now he'd be a luxury player.

Wildbill3
04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
The Andre Branch example hoops provided is a good start.

There's more than 10 players that I would consider for this pick. I only listed 10 because hoops asked for 10.... there's a few other good players that Miami could take here that I didn't list.

A stupid pick here is passing any of them up for a Pat White type pick here, Bill.

EDIT: Or trading up for a RB that isn't even the best on left on the board... for example.with bill parcels gone, my worries about another pat white pick has evaporated. However I agree, I am not and was not a big fan of the DT draft trade.

VDOGG77
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Curry----Hill----Upshaw---Martin

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Coby Fleener

Vinny Curry

Courtney Upshaw

Cordy Glenn

Kelechi Osemele

Stephen Hill

Janoris Jenkins

Mohamed Sanu

Alshon Jeffrey

Mychal Kendricks

You were right about Fleener. I'm still kind of shocked, but after talking it through with you, I'm less shocked. Quick thing: Have you decided to place Jeffrey ahead of Randle, or do you view it as a fit thing? I'm just asking because you had Randle rated a few spots higher on your big board.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
i could see a run on dt coming here also...some dts could come off in front of us and drop some guys in our wheelhouse...worthy, still, taamu, reyes all could be in play...imo in the top 50 dt was the best depth value in the draft

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
You were right about Fleener. I'm still kind of shocked, but after talking it through with you, I'm less shocked. Quick thing: Have you decided to place Jeffrey ahead of Randle, or do you view it as a fit thing? I'm just asking because you had Randle rated a few spots higher on your big board.

I'd take Stephen Hill or Mohamed Sanu here before I took Rueben Randle, although it's not a tremendous gap there.

I'd take Randle before I took Alshon Jeffrey, and it's not a huge gap there either.

I have Greg Childs right in the mix with all these receivers mentioned here in terms of talent, although I think I have a better shot at getting him a little later (possibly 4th round) simply because of his knee.

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I know people are projecting Fleener to the Colts, and with good reason, but a few things to consider as to why it may not happen.

1. Bruce Arians loves to spread the ball around with multiple WRs. Reggie Wayne ain't getting younger and the other WRs are Austin Collie, Donnie Avery, Quan Cosby, and Jarred Fason.
2. Arians inherited Heath Miller when he became OC in Pittsburgh. Heath is arguably a top 3-5 TE in the league. Outside of him, the Steelers under Arians used TEs more as blockers
3. The Colts are switching to a 3-4. They have no DL for that system. They have small ILBs. Freeney and Mathis are on the wrong side of 30, and Jerry Hughes has been a huge disappointment

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
i could see a run on dt coming here also...some dts could come off in front of us and drop some guys in our wheelhouse...worthy, still, taamu, reyes all could be in play...imo in the top 50 dt was the best depth value in the draft

Dead on here. I think the Colts have to start loading up on some of these versatile defensive lineman that fit the 0 and 5 techniques. Reyes, Ta'amu, K. Randall, Still, A. Hicks, Wolfe, etc..

dolfan91
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see Miami draft either Peter Konz, who would allow Pouncey to move to LG and Incognito to move to RG and solidify the line. Only if Konz's medical checks out!!! BUT the guy I really like is Tremaine Johnson CB out of Montana; the move of Jimmy Wilson to safety coupled with Johnson possibly being drafted; would give Miami a very solid group of DB's. I suspect that Wilson and Johnson would form the New Version of "The Miami Pound Machine", having these 2 Heat Seeking Missiles, patrolling the secondary would scare some WR, TE and RB's I would imagine. Wilson and Johnson would certainly, "KNOCK the SNOT OUT" of many opposing players!!! I ABSOLUTELY WOULD LOVE IT!!!

Wildbill3
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Tammy (sp) is pretty good so yeah fleener might make it past the colts. Would fleener help us more than a WR?

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Tammy (sp) is pretty good so yeah fleener might make it past the colts. Would fleener help us more than a WR?

Tamme is with Denver now.

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Dead on here. I think the Colts have to start loading up on some of these versatile defensive lineman that fit the 0 and 5 techniques. Reyes, Ta'amu, K. Randall, Still, A. Hicks, Wolfe, etc..

Exactly why I think if anyone is going to trade up, it'll be with them. They have plenty of their targets still available.

The Rams have traded down enough and already have like three of the next 13 picks. I don't see them trading down at all. I think their pick comes down to Stephen Hill or Reuben Randle. I like Sanu but that would be more of a surprise. My guess is that it'll be Hill. That WR core already has plenty of young possession guys in Salas, Amendola and Pettis.

Hill would add more of an explosive element than Randle, though I think Randle is an underrated deep threat.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
trumaine johnson scares me at cb...he's got a lot of sean smith type tools imo...a tweener...if he's a corner imo its a cover 2 guy...i stay away personally...too risky for me...cb has a lot of depth right now also...unless there's a run here early tonight i think we can get a good one early round 3 or late 2nd in a trade up if need be...

not a big fan of johnsons hips and his transition out of his pedal...he's awfully long which means its gonna be harder for him to match feet and quickness with guys on the boundary like sean smith...i think he'd be a lot like smith in that he can cover tes with his length but struggle on the boundary against the quick twitch guys...but he's a lot more willing a tackler than sean smith which makes me think cover 2 corner or maybe free safety...safety being a projection though...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I wonder who we were targetting in a trade ip last night. Things could get interesting

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
trumaine johnson scares me at cb...he's got a lot of sean smith type tools imo...a tweener...if he's a corner imo its a cover 2 guy...i stay away personally...too risky for me...cb has a lot of depth right now also...unless there's a run here early tonight i think we can get a good one early round 3 or late 2nd in a trade up if need be...

not a big fan of johnsons hips and his transition out of his pedal...he's awfully long which means its gonna be harder for him to match feet and quickness with guys on the boundary like sean smith...i think he'd be a lot like smith in that he can cover tes with his length but struggle on the boundary against the quick twitch guys...but he's a lot more willing a tackler than sean smith which makes me think cover 2 corner or maybe free safety...safety being a projection though...

Agreed. We already have plenty of these CB/S types in Marshall, Wilson and Smith. Maybe they think that's the wave of the future in covering these new wave TEs but I think we're fairly well covered there. As I've said before, Janoris Jenkins isn't on my draft board, but I could get on board with bringing in a true cover guy like Josh Robinson, though.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
only thing about corners is once there's a run they go fast...you sleep you lose...gotta have 3 starters in todays nfl pretty much

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
the next time we hear about a college wr making a move to play corner in college remind me to take him off my draft board...i should have known smith wouldn't tackle given that

as for josh robinson i like him but is he a better zone fit...

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
the next time we hear about a college wr making a move to play corner in college remind me to take him off my draft board...i should have known smith wouldn't tackle given that

as for josh robinson i like him but is he a better zone fit...

Morris Claiborne went to LSU as a wide receiver and switched to corner if I'm not mistaken.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Morris Claiborne went to LSU as a wide receiver and switched to corner if I'm not mistaken.

well then strike that...reverse it...ha ha

that said i don't think claiborne's all that keen on tackling so it makes sense...but no matter that guys top 3 bpa in this draft

claiborne didn't play a year at wr though i don't think...i believe smith did

silverfin
04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
I think we go DB in the 4th ... I like a guy like Chase Minnifield. Great ball skills, good anticipation and can tackle. Kick returner too. I reckon he could be there in the 4th after his knee issues.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
minnifield is a major medical risk which killed his stock...

how the heck did decastro get to #24 and pittsburgh??? they stole something...i watched every game stanford played this year with visions of andrew luck spinning the rock in miami this year and i swear i may have counted less than one hands worth of plays where i felt like decastro was just a guy...everything else was rediculous how good he looked...

i don't get the nfl sometimes...let that kid fall to #24

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Fleener
Hill
Curry
Randle
Jenkins
Upshaw
Sanu
Glenn
Konz (said crazier things have happened)
Kendricks

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Really, if I'm convinced Jenkins is going to turn get his **** together, he's 1a with Fleener.

ChambersWI
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
minnifield is a major medical risk which killed his stock...

how the heck did decastro get to #24 and pittsburgh??? they stole something...i watched every game stanford played this year with visions of andrew luck spinning the rock in miami this year and i swear i may have counted less than one hands worth of plays where i felt like decastro was just a guy...everything else was rediculous how good he looked...

i don't get the nfl sometimes...let that kid fall to #24

as bad as it sounds, teams just don't value the guards in the first round. The 2 who went this year went to teams that were desperate at the position.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
for now on i will refer to brandon weeden as "the situation"...i'll let you guys figure it out

johnnyB
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
In no order...
Randle
Hill
Sanu
Curry
Upshaw
Fleener
David
Konz
Martin
Allen

Phinatic8u
04-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Upshaw please.

Then go all wr. One of the 6 will pan out lol

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 02:47 PM
for now on i will refer to brandon weeden as "the situation"...i'll let you guys figure it out

i give up

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

also someone on the mains posted that Ireland tried to get back into the first round to get Nick Perry. Dont know if true but we do need someone opposite Wake pretty badly

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
i give up

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

also someone on the mains posted that Ireland tried to get back into the first round to get Nick Perry. Dont know if true but we do need someone opposite Wake pretty badly

nick perry huh...nothing wrong with that...thanks for the heads up

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
lots of jonathon martin people here...i just think he's a year away cause he needs to get much stronger...and he has a tendency to play standing straight up almost...i think he's a future solid pro but i don't know if he's a plug and play tackle right now

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Trying to trade up for Nick Perry then would imply trying to trade up for Vinny Curry now, to me.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Trying to trade up for Nick Perry then would imply trying to trade up for Vinny Curry now, to me.

yeah...i think all that philbin talking oline yesterday was more smokescreen stuff for our intentions tonight...he emphasized oline too much i smell bs...

but is curry a finished product...i don't see much upside

b/t if the first picks tonight break the way don banks projected in his round 2 mock good football players are gonna fly off fast...

fininpsl
04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
yeah...i think all that philbin talking oline yesterday was more smokescreen stuff for our intentions tonight...he emphasized oline too much i smell bs...

but is curry a finished product...i don't see much upside

b/t if the first picks tonight break the way don banks projected in his round 2 mock good football players are gonna fly off fast...

If Curry's not the guy then who's left that can get to the QB? We may be going o-line just based on value. Upshaw, Curry, and Branch are the highest rated DE/OLB's left, but would any of them fit our needs well? I can see why Ireland tried to trade back up and get Perry. IMHO that's just the cost of waiting til the 2nd round to address a position that's pretty thin in this draft.

Phins28
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I think they wanted A.J. Jenkins but the ****ing 49ers drafted him

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
If Curry's not the guy then who's left that can get to the QB? We may be going o-line just based on value. Upshaw, Curry, and Branch are the highest rated DE/OLB's left, but would any of them fit our needs well? I can see why Ireland tried to trade back up and get Perry. IMHO that's just the cost of waiting til the 2nd round to address a position that's pretty thin in this draft.

that's a good point...i think currys ready to play right now also...i don't know that he'll be a great pro by any means but i think he could give us some pass rush help...and you got to like the motor...he also has similar size numbers with nick perry...

as for jonathon martin i have to think the bills at #41 would pull the trigger there for a left tackle prospect...

ItalianTouch
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Bobby Massie
Dwayne Allen
Janoris Jenkins
Rueben Randle
Brandon Taylor
Courtney Upshaw
Cordy Glenn
Trumain Johnson
Peter Konz
Stephen Hill

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Curry has plenty of upside. He's most productive defensive lineman in this draft. To me he's one of these kids that actually loves the game of football... I could tell it watching his film.

Anybody that buys that 4.9 time at the combine hasn't watched this kid closely enough. I've seen him chase T.Y. Hilton 20 yards downfield and catch him. The 4.64 he ran at his pro day is a lot closer to his football speed.

I've watched him run Mike Adams, Matt McCants, Don Barclay, Lamar Holmes, and several other quality left tackles absolutely ragged.

I think he's better than Upshaw.

fininpsl
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
that's a good point...i think currys ready to play right now also...i don't know that he'll be a great pro by any means but i think he could give us some pass rush help...and you got to like the motor...he also has similar size numbers with nick perry...

as for jonathon martin i have to think the bills at #41 would pull the trigger there for a left tackle prospect...

I'm not sure Curry will be there when we pick with the run on pass rushers at the end of Rd. 1. I haven't paid any attention to the needs of the teams in front of us though. I agree we only need a solid guy opposite Wake. Ireland addressed resigning Wake on the JR show this AM with an emphatic and confident "it will get done", so whoever we take simply needs to complement one of the best pass rushers in the league, not replace him. BTW how does Curry project at DE in the 4-3?

datruth55
04-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Looking at the roster I'm wondering if interior lineman shouldn't be a higher priority over RT. Granted Martin would be a solid pick but we have (other than Long at LT) Lydon Murtha, Nate Garner, Will Barker and Artis Hicks (who it more Guard than Tackle) all listed as OT on the roster. The Guards are Incognito, Ray Feinga, John Jerry and Ryan Cook...none of which seem like a good fit for the ZBS. If Murtha can stay healthy (big IF) then I like Long at LT, Pouncey on the interior (either Center or LG) and Murtha at RT. I really don't like the rest of these guys for the scheme...minus Hicks but he's 33 and a backup player.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
with curry if he's the guy we may have to jump jax at #38...we know they need a 43 de bad...kampman can't stay healthy and probably is getting cut they resigned the other try hard guy overachiever type mincey but its a major need...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
i think you curry guys might have it right...if you wait your looking at guys like cam johnson which i'm not big on rush wise and olivier vernon who has upside but no polish etc...currys got more rush talents going for him than anyone still there...and of course there's andre branch which i want nothing to do with...if they wait they must be thinking that small school prospect ryan davis which given how much pass rush is a need for us they can't depend on...maybe massaquia is in play at some point

i also heard they like that blatnick kid but this is too rich

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
We just need an impact player. Immediate starter...so if thry take an Olineman it better be a plug and play

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Curry has plenty of upside. He's most productive defensive lineman in this draft. To me he's one of these kids that actually loves the game of football... I could tell it watching his film.

Anybody that buys that 4.9 time at the combine hasn't watched this kid closely enough. I've seen him chase T.Y. Hilton 20 yards downfield and catch him. The 4.64 he ran at his pro day is a lot closer to his football speed.

I've watched him run Mike Adams, Matt McCants, Don Barclay, Lamar Holmes, and several other quality left tackles absolutely ragged.

I think he's better than Upshaw.

I agree with this. You can see it in his hand skills and how he works to time the snap. He's also clearly works in the weight room. You can see the dedication in his play.

I think Curry has some closing speed but I don't see the flexibility or explosiveness or overall athleticism that I want. He's not a completely finished product, obviously, but he's closer to being finished than most of these pass rushers and I can just see him sort of running into a wall at the next level, no longer able to get by because the skills he's worked to get... at the next level everyone has them.

I liked Nick Perry ahead of him, but Perry is much more inconsistent and the lack of work ethic shows up on tape. Makes no effort to time the snap, doesn't use his hands as well. But he's more explosive, more flexible. The upside is there but the bust potential is there. At pass rusher I'll take the upside, but that's me. I was one of the few on here who would have leaped at the chance to take Bruce Irvin in the 2nd.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
np

SamIam
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
how about Jonathan Massaquoi in the third

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
I wonder who we want so badly. I just cant see it being Curry...but maybe. Im thinking Fleener. Also, wonder why Dallas? They dont even have a 2nd rounder...

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Curry has the athleticism. His 6.90 3-cone was only bettered by Bruce Irvin and Melvin Ingram. He matched Nick Perry's vertical jump of 35", which was best in this class.

His 1.58 10-yard split at his pro-day is top 5 in this draft, and only .04 off Bruce Irvin's mark of best in the class.

He's not quite as flexible and you'd ideally like, but you can be an effective pass rusher if you're stiff as long you have the lower body explosion and first step. It doesn't matter how flexible you are if you don't have the lower body explosion.

I have Nick Perry as my #1 DE and Curry #2. I'll take him.

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
I posted nothing. NOTHING!!!!!

Locke
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Stephen Hill is my guess. He seems to fit what Philbin wants to do pretty well...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
i was just told not to make it public...removing it...618 remove your quote of my post please...don't know how much truth to it but i trust the person i got the pm from...the source i don't know

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
i was just told not to make it public...removing it...618 remove your quote of my post please...don't know how much truth to it but i trust the person i got the pm from...the source i don't know

Fixed. Im intrigued

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I posted nothing. NOTHING!!!!!

ha ha ha...well done

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
i think i just figured this out...dallas is shopping mike jenkins...

Yessir
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Rueben Randle please!!!

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Dont know if I am following here...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I just want it to be 7 already...I cant even take a nap right now.

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Ah. That does make sense. Wonder what Dallas is asking for him

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Still doesnt make sense to me. He isnt an upgrade...

Hoops your inbox is full by the way so it wont let me message you

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:15 PM
inbox is open now...i think its been mike jenkins all along...anything more than a 4th i pass...talented but too full of himself...i heard the name jenkins but i think it was mike

dolfan91
04-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Is Malik Jackson a possibility in the 4th?

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Is Malik Jackson a possibility in the 4th?
I hope...but he prolly goes in the 3rd

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
let me make this clear...i'd start worrying about us trading pick #42 for mike jenkins if i was you guys...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
What do you guys think of Ashlon? Im just not sold..but he seems like exactly the type of wideout Ireland would like. Then again maybe he listed to Philibin. I mean Ashlon has potential dont get me wrong...but just a whole lot of question marks there

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

let me make this clear...i'd start worrying about us trading pick #42 for mike jenkins if i was you guys...
Well you had me exicted...and now you have me freaking out. Thanks haha

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Egads. With the talent that's gonna be available with our pick that would be a nightmare. Isn't Jenkins on his last year of his contract too?

mrbunglez
04-27-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm still hoping for Stephen Hill, even tough I think the browns or rams are going to pick him up. Tannehill to Hill has a nice ring to it. If not then I'd settle for Konz or Martin to protect our new QB.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Egads. With the talent that's gonna be available with our pick that would be a nightmare. Isn't Jenkins on his last year of his contract too?

he's more hype than substance but if not #42 one of those 3rds...i don't like it...but you know we love cowboys

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't buy trading #42 for Mike Jenkins. A later round pick, sure. Maybe they're thinking about trading up for Janoris Jenkins but if they can get the other Jenkins with a later round pick they'd do that and focus on other things with #42.

That makes a lot more sense to me than trading #42 for a guy in Mike Jenkins who gets hurt a lot and has never lived up to his potential even when healthy, which isn't often.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
i just heard jenkins for a 4th or 5th...thats a lot better than what i was worrying about...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
he's more hype than substance but if not #42 one of those 3rds...i don't like it...but you know we love cowboys
The PFT article on his being shopped says he is in his last year of contract...plus he has a shoulder injury that is going to keep him sidelined for offseason workouts. Im happy with Ireland so far...lets no screw this up Jeff. We have a chance to have a great draft

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 05:26 PM

</3 + :^( + etc.

houtz
04-27-2012, 05:26 PM
I'd take Jenkins for a 4th or a 5th all day.

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
i just heard jenkins for a 4th or 5th...thats a lot better than what i was worrying about...

A 5th I can be on board with

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
i'll take him for a 5th also...but i don't think he's a slot guy he's boundary imo...which means sean smith is either out of a starting job or vontae is going in the slot...

i was worried about pick #42 given the timing of the supposed trade and miami and the boys talkin but sounds like its later round...and lets be honest i could see ireland overpaying here in trade

dolfan91
04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I hope...but he prolly goes in the 3rd

If that is the case, lets hope he goes to Miami in the Third!!!

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
i guess it doesn't matter anymore to keep it on the dl i'm told st louis passed on our offer...sounds like they will keep the pick or trade it elsewhere

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
i guess it doesn't matter anymore to keep it on the dl i'm told st louis passed on our offer...sounds like they will keep the pick or trade it elsewhere

Well if they were looking to get the first pick tonight, it would have to be to grab someone they felt was gonna go very very quickly. Im guessing Fleener or Hill. Would say Upshaw too but hes not an Ireland type.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Well if they were looking to get the first pick tonight, it would have to be to grab someone they felt was gonna go very very quickly. Im guessing Fleener or Hill. Would say Upshaw too but hes not an Ireland type.

it might have been to come get janoris if the cowboys thing fell through with mike...sounds like i got good info though which is cool

Harry_Bagpipe
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
it might have been to come get janoris if the cowboys thing fell through with mike...sounds like i got good info though which is cool

So the cowboys thing is still a real possibility?

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Agreed. Maybe we talk with the Colts...I heard they would be looking to move down. That is unless St. Louis is taking whoever our guy was

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
So the cowboys thing is still a real possibility?

i haven't gotten anything sayin its a no go...doesn't mean it will happen though

silverfin
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Take it for what its worth .... but La Canfora just said on NFLN that he thinks Brian Quick will be first off to STL.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Take it for what its worth .... but La Canfora just said on NFLN that he thinks Brian Quick will be first off to STL.

wowzers...

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I hope so. Keep pushing these other guys down...

silverfin
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
I hope so. Keep pushing these other guys down...

Difficult to tell if he knew something or that was just his guess. What I do know is STL know who they want to take, and have known for at least a few hours. I saw an interview with Jeff Fisher about 4-5 hours ago where he confirmed this.

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I figured it would be a WR...but not Quick. Heck I thought Fleener was in play too

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Difficult to tell if he knew something or that was just his guess. What I do know is STL know who they want to take, and have known for at least a few hours. I saw an interview with Jeff Fisher about 4-5 hours ago where he confirmed this.

yeah but fish said that then to try and get people to make big offers...you tell em you got a guy you want they may up the anty for the pick...

silverfin
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I figured it would be a WR...but not Quick. Heck I thought Fleener was in play too

Mort suggested that the Rams are in play for Quick too by all accounts. Could be something in it.

yeah but fish said that then to try and get people to make big offers...you tell em you got a guy you want they may up the anty for the pick...

Thats true.

TheWalrus
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Would be great if they took Quick. He's not a guy we're targeting and it would probably take them off the WR hunt at 39. The Browns, Bills and Colts, though, could all use WRs and pick ahead of us in the 2nd.

MiamiDolphin618
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Shefter talking about Jenkins. Said there is alot of interest...and most teams dont have him off their boards. He said he talked to some people that had him ranked just as high as Claiborne off pure talent...just a lot of question marks.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
have to say today has not been my favorite day...

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The common threads between the players we've drafted:

Particular physical gifts - Tannehill's mobility, Martin's feet, Vernon's first step, Egnew's overall athleticism.

Need for development - Tannehill's inexperience, Martin's lack of strength and overall soft body, Vernon's performance not matching his physical gifts, Egnew's soft play.

Working cogs in the systems we want to implement - Tannehill's pocket presence and athleticism fit what Philbin wants out of a QB in his system; Martin's feet and experience in a ZBS; Vernon has the talent to be one of the better pass rushers in the draft (if developed), and Philbin went on about relative QBR (Our QB vs. Their QB); and Egnew fits that J. Finley mold.

There are players we passed on that I would have preferred - especially in the 2nd. But this is a staff that believes in their ability to develop players, and they drafted players that make sense for what we want to do. I would give Strong grades to the Tannehill and Egnew picks and Moderate grades to the Martin and Vernon picks. No outright weak picks.

dolfan91
04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Jones, McNutt, Givens, Criner in the 4th

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
here's my take on today...

the martin pick i understand that he's a high end talent and that a year from now he probably would have been a top 15 pick tackle at least and that he will fit the zbs we want to run but if he's coming here to play right tackle from the jump he lacks strength for this level...he needs to get in a weight room asap...he's got great tools though but has issues against speed and strength...personally if i'm miami i would have gone elsewhere there and plucked bobbie massie had he been sitting there in the 3rd...

the vernon pick might have been a little high but he was one of the few remaining prospects with high end rush tools...when i watched this kid i swear i saw a lot of cam wake...doesn't have the same strength as wake at this point has similar hips though and he can bend and run the arc and when he turns the corner he can flatten out pretty good...i like the upside of this pick i think his best football is in front of him...not sure though if he has the same ankle flexion and balance as wake but i see a similar like upside...one more thing early on this is a rush specialist only...cause he cannot hold up against the run at this point...this is a pass rush package player til he develops

michael egnew i know what he's here to be...our flexed out guy in packages...he can't play in line can't block a lick imo was more explosive and showed separation skills when he was a 235 lb guy before his senior season...the guy i saw at the senior bowl at 251 looked bloated and couldn't separate all week against coverage...i'd tell him to drop 5-10 lbs and get some of that burst back personally...cause like i said no matter what guy isn't gonna block a paper bag...flex him out and let him take advantage of mismatches with his speed etc...

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM

the martin pick i understand that he's a high end talent and that a year from now he probably would have been a top 15 pick tackle at least and that he will fit the zbs we want to run but if he's coming here to play right tackle from the jump he lacks strength for this level...he needs to get in a weight room asap...he's got great tools though but has issues against speed and strength...personally if i'm miami i would have gone elsewhere there and plucked bobbie massie had he been sitting there in the 3rd...

the vernon pick might have been a little high but he was one of the few remaining prospects with high end rush tools...when i watched this kid i swear i saw a lot of cam wake...doesn't have the same strength as wake at this point has similar hips though and he can bend and run the arc and when he turns the corner he can flatten out pretty good...i like the upside of this pick i think his best football is in front of him...not sure though if he has the same ankle flexion and balance as wake but i see a similar like upside...one more thing early on this is a rush specialist only...cause he cannot hold up against the run at this point...this is a pass rush package player til he develops

michael egnew i know what he's here to be...our flexed out guy in packages...he can't play in line can't block a lick imo was more explosive and showed separation skills when he was a 235 lb guy before his senior season...the guy i saw at the senior bowl at 251 looked bloated and couldn't separate all week against coverage...i'd tell him to drop 5-10 lbs and get some of that burst back personally...cause like i said no matter what guy isn't gonna block a paper bag...flex him out and let him take advantage of mismatches with his speed etc...

I think you can say this for every player we drafted. Basically, I think we have similar takes. I think I'm more optimistic because our new staff has shown the ability to really develop players.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I think you can say this for every player we drafted. Basically, I think we have similar takes. I think I'm more optimistic because our new staff has shown the ability to really develop players.

maybe...i'm not sure martin has fantastic left tackle feet but i guess he's here to play right tackle for now at least...my issue with him on the right side is you still gotta handle strength and he lacks it in the upper body imo...this is a kid you mold into a solid nfl tackle...imo though he should have stayed in school one more year come out stronger and locked up a top 15 pick

PSU Cane
04-27-2012, 11:36 PM

Totally agree on Egnew. He can't block worth a lick. He also didn't show the separation in games that you would expect from a guy who ran the 4.6 at the combine. He needs to be flexed out to take advantage of his skillset. I think that's why i wasn't a big fan of the pick and why i had him rated as a 4th round guy....he's not that different than Charles Clay except for his size.

As for Vernon i agree as well. He was taken a round earlier than i expected but he was moving up the boards recently b/c of his potential. He has a nice first step and has the ability to run the arc but he lacks the strong base at this point to get under the tackle and complete the arc at the level of the QB (it could be the lower body flexion) so he doesn't use that move as much as he should. He needs some time to refine his pass rush moves but does show potential.

j-off-her-doll
04-27-2012, 11:38 PM
maybe...i'm not sure martin has fantastic left tackle feet but i guess he's here to play right tackle for now at least...my issue with him on the right side is you still gotta handle strength and he lacks it in the upper body imo...this is a kid you mold into a solid nfl tackle...imo though he should have stayed in school one more year come out stronger and locked up a top 15 pick

I agree. You can look at him and see a guy who isn't a refined athlete. He's soft. But we're not doing anything this year anyway. We'll see how he looks in a year. If he looks like a top-15 tackle in a year, it'll have been a good pick.

PSU Cane
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM

He lacks upper body strength but his legs/butt are big and he anchors extremely well against the bull rush. I think in another year with NFL coaching and weight training, the guy will be a very good player.

His biggest weakness is his drop step and set. He's just a bit slow and allows speed guys upfield to get the advantage on him. He shouldn't have that same problem on the right side to start but if he can improve that part of his game (and add a little upper body strength) i think he could play LT in the future.

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Totally agree on Egnew. He can't block worth a lick. He also didn't show the separation in games that you would expect from a guy who ran the 4.6 at the combine. He needs to be flexed out to take advantage of his skillset. I think that's why i wasn't a big fan of the pick and why i had him rated as a 4th round guy....he's not that different than Charles Clay except for his size.

As for Vernon i agree as well. He was taken a round earlier than i expected but he was moving up the boards recently b/c of his potential. He has a nice first step and has the ability to run the arc but he lacks the strong base at this point to get under the tackle and complete the arc at the level of the QB (it could be the lower body flexion) so he doesn't use that move as much as he should. He needs some time to refine his pass rush moves but does show potential.

yeah i don't get why slimm and ck have been so high on egnew personally...he was a different player at 235...and if you aren't ever gonna block just like all those buttercup te's that come out of missou sherman and philbin should tell him to drop 8 lbs stop tryin to be something you are not and get your game back...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:42 PM
He lacks upper body strength but his legs/butt are big and he anchors extremely well against the bull rush. I think in another year with NFL coaching and weight training, the guy will be a very good player.

His biggest weakness is his drop step and set. He's just a bit slow and allows speed guys upfield to get the advantage on him. He shouldn't have that same problem on the right side to start but if he can improve that part of his game (and add a little upper body strength) i think he could play LT in the future.

well said...

hooshoops
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I agree. You can look at him and see a guy who isn't a refined athlete. He's soft. But we're not doing anything this year anyway. We'll see how he looks in a year. If he looks like a top-15 tackle in a year, it'll have been a good pick.

that's a good point about an investment in the future...i had tunnel vision for 2012...i think massie is more plug and play and be ok right now but martin has more upside...higher ceiling...left tackle potential down the line also as psu says

fininpsl
04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
that's a good point about an investment in the future...i had tunnel vision for 2012...i think massie is more plug and play and be ok right now but martin has more upside...higher ceiling...left tackle potential down the line also as psu says

This whole draft has been about the future. It's not like we were going to win the superbowl in 2012 no matter what we did. If Martin is a top 15 talent a yr later, then we got a steal. Same with Vernon. It's a riskier route, so i hope our coaching is going to be as good as everybody is saying.

silverfin
04-27-2012, 11:57 PM

Nice analysis. I liked the Martin pick, there is good value there for sure. However I agree that maybe we could have gone with WR (Hill) and then taken Massie a bit later on.

The Egnew pick I felt was a slight reach but he is a big seam threat.

Overall, I thought we nice a nice job today.

PSU Cane
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Massie is probably the best run blocking tackle in the draft....a pure beast. But i saw him struggle at times in pass protection, which might be why he was kept at RT instead of moved to the left side where Bradley Sowell played (who was hot and cold all year). I don't think Massie has the feet to play LT, which lowers his value. He's a little slow and very choppy in his drop steps, causing him to get off balanced. I still expected him to be picked by now though, even if it was to play guard.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Massie is probably the best run blocking tackle in the draft....a pure beast. But i saw him struggle at times in pass protection, which might be why he was kept at RT instead of moved to the left side where Bradley Sowell played (who was hot and cold all year). I don't think Massie has the feet to play LT, which lowers his value. He's a little slow and very choppy in his drop steps, causing him to get off balanced. I still expected him to be picked by now though, even if it was to play guard.

i don't think he has left tackle feet either but i wasn't looking for a left tackle...i was looking right side...and i think he can man that...don't really project him inside personally and i guess if nfl teams look at you as a right tackle only as mayock says you better be a damn good one...i think his lack of versatility hurts his stock but shwartz got drafted early round 2 probably off his solid senior bowl week and that guy can only play right tackle...

you project massie as a guard??? not me

MiamiDolphin618
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Hoops whos your top 10 for tomorrow? I think we gotta go WR at some point. Also wouldnt mind Malik Jackson...or Boykin.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Hoops whos your top 10 for tomorrow? I think we gotta go WR at some point. Also wouldnt mind Malik Jackson...or Boykin.

i like both those names...vernon is short term gonna be a situational guy at least...let him hunt the qb...malik jackon makes sense to me as a 2 down 43 de...boykin works also but at 185 lbs he's a little light...still i'm nit picking i like him there also...

MiamiDolphin618
04-28-2012, 12:45 AM
i like both those names...vernon is short term gonna be a situational guy at least...let him hunt the qb...malik jackon makes sense to me as a 2 down 43 de...boykin works also but at 185 lbs he's a little light...still i'm nit picking i like him there also...
Yeah Boykin is small...but 4th round sounds about right. Agree for Vernon, kids got pass rush tools..and thats all he will be asked to do for the most part. Jackson would be a solid 2-down guy but he also has some real pass rush ability as well...Im really surprised he is still around. As for WR..I like Joe Adams, Wylie, and Childs the most. But I could get down with Toon and a few others as well. Im pretty happy with our picks so far...not exactly how I would have gone about it, but things could be ALOT worse. (Like drafting a punter..hah)

PSU Cane
04-28-2012, 02:19 AM
i don't think he has left tackle feet either but i wasn't looking for a left tackle...i was looking right side...and i think he can man that...don't really project him inside personally and i guess if nfl teams look at you as a right tackle only as mayock says you better be a damn good one...i think his lack of versatility hurts his stock but shwartz got drafted early round 2 probably off his solid senior bowl week and that guy can only play right tackle...

you project massie as a guard??? not me

No, not at all....i think he's a RT all the way. All i meant is even if teams didn't think he would be a good pass blocking tackle, i would have thought someone would have taken him by now even if it was to play guard b/c he's a mauler in the run game.

PSU Cane
04-28-2012, 02:21 AM

I like both these names too. I wouldn't mind doubling up at DE/Pass rusher b/c we have very little depth there right now, so guys like Jackson would work (in base 4-3) or maybe names like Wilber or Fugger later in the draft for the 3-4 hybrid sets.

I think Boykin would excel in the slot against guys like Welker. He could also play outside against smaller WRs.

RichmondWeb
04-28-2012, 05:25 AM
For the record, I hate that we had Hill right there to steal and instead we picked Martin. It also allowed the Jets to come up and take Hill which I triple hate. Pass protection is important but if you don't have anywhere to throw the football it doesn't matter. Also, we still need a scat back who can fill in for Bush and return kicks since we didn't get LaMicheal James. I like that they picked a pass rusher and a TE; also I liked the trade down for the extra 6th. What are we going to do about WR?

RW

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 05:30 AM
For the record, I hate that we had Hill right there to steal and instead we picked Martin. It also allowed the Jets to come up and take Hill which I triple hate. Pass protection is important but if you don't have anywhere to throw the football it doesn't matter. Also, we still need a scat back who can fill in for Bush and return kicks since we didn't get LaMicheal James. I like that they picked a pass rusher and a TE; also I liked the trade down for the extra 6th. What are we going to do about WR?

RW

Vernon is NOT a pass rusher.

As for the rest, agreed that Pass Protection doesn't matter unless you have somebody to throw to, but especially with the Jests, a WR does them no good cause they don't have anybody to throw him the ball.

j-off-her-doll
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM

As for the rest, agreed that Pass Protection doesn't matter unless you have somebody to throw to, but especially with the Jests, a WR does them no good cause they don't have anybody to throw him the ball.

How, then, would you label him?

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 08:51 AM

:confused:

2413fanphins
04-28-2012, 08:51 AM
vernon may be unpolished, but he will be a pass rusher. I think he can turn into a damn good one too..

PSU Cane
04-28-2012, 10:20 AM

RW

A sleeper scatback = Adonis Thomas - Toledo. Watch some film on this guy, he's extremely quick in the hole with speed to burn. Reminds me of Sproles.

j-off-her-doll
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
So the draft is actually shaping up pretty nice.

Again, I'm going back to unique skill sets.

They got players that - where they got them - didn't have contemporaries (again: Tannehill's athleticism, Martin's feet, Vernon explosion, Egnew's athleticism and receiving skills). There's one more guy I'm eyeing hard before we go WR, and that's Malik Jackson. Slimm has made compelling cases for him all off season.

But there are still some guys who fit what we'll want to do very well at WR. There's a group of WR's that could be developed into big contributors for our offense. Passing on S. Hill still stings a bit to me. I think that guy could have been something. But there are A LOT of explosive WR's still on the board, and there are some decent big-body guys still on the board.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
the more i watch egnew the more convinced i become that the kid does not separate...didn't separate senior bowl week and does not separate on tape...not sudden out of his cuts...i got a lot of product of that o at missouri concerns with this kid...don't like the pick in round 3...this is more round 5 stuff for me

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 10:47 AM
How, then, would you label him?

At this point? Drafted about 2 rounds too high.

He registered a staggering 8 sacks in 3 season total. Hardly a sack machine........

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
what martin needs is an initial punch...he tries to rely on his feet too much and frankly he doesn't have great feet...he allows guys to get into his body and come to them allows them to build up steam and leverage by always taking the contact in pass pro rarely delivering it...his upper body strength or lack of really shows on tape there's too much him getting walked into the backfield after contact...too much finesse in his pass pro game...he'll start a play with good knee bend and good technique but as the play develops he has a tendency to get more and more vertical before contact...i would say that if this kids here to be a starting right tackle from the jump we better give him help with fasano or chipping guys out of the backfield etc...as a run blocker he moves pretty well this isn't a great athlete but a solid one and he can pull and make contact he sustains things pretty well in line when asked to go straight ahead...i will say though that despite what i would call a finesse game he'll play to the whistle and sometimes through it and he hustles to get in on the action...

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
At this point? Drafted about 2 rounds too high.

He registered a staggering 8 sacks in 3 season total. Hardly a sack machine........

that's the classic reaction of a guy that only sees stat lines and doesn't understand upside when it comes to the draft...does he lack production??? sure...does he have a lot of upside and rush tools to work with??? yep

PSU Cane
04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
the more i watch egnew the more convinced i become that the kid does not separate...didn't separate senior bowl week and does not separate on tape...not sudden out of his cuts...i got a lot of product of that o at missouri concerns with this kid...don't like the pick in round 3...this is more round 5 stuff for me

+1
I hated this pick. Round 4-5 i would have been ok with, but too much talent still on board in Round 3.