PDA

View Full Version : Looking Around the League

rob19
04-27-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm very excited about the Tannehill pick, but looking around the league, which teams draft's do you like, or dislike, so far?

I thought Pittsburgh getting DeCastro at 24 was a steal.

I thought Detroit getting Reiff at 23 was good value.

I think the Patriots instantly improved on defense with Jones & Hightower.

Props to the Cowboys for moving up and getting Claiborne.

Personally, I think the Rams should've stayed pat at #6 and taken Claiborne, but we'll see what they do with that extra 2nd rounder they picked up.

The Giants taking David Wilson was surprising to me, considering they still have Bradshaw & it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a complementary back for him a little later in the draft. I thought Fleener would've been a great fit with Eli, & if you remember how many TE's got hurt for the Giants during the Superbowl, I thought Fleener/Ballard would've been a nice 1/2 punch.

Wishfishin
04-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Pittsburgh got lucky with the fall of DeCastro.

And those friggin' Pats got two outstanding defenders. Don't you just hate 'em?

JCane
04-27-2012, 05:31 AM
LOVED what the Cowboys did to get up and get Claiborne. They wanted Mark Barron at #14 and felt like he wouldn't be there. So what do they do? They go balls out and jump Tampa Bay for Morris Claiborne. Jerry Jones may not be a bright football mind, but I love and respect the business side of him.

Patriots improved their defense dramatically. Huge renovations there.

I think Cleveland wasted their pick on Richardson. Good grief. I love Richardson's talent...but a RB that high is absurd. League has changed far too much to get a RB like Richardson for a West Coast offense.

Chiefs...fail. We should get out tomorrow and deal for Eric Berry.

Best "value" pick goes to the San Diego Chargers for snagging Melvin Ingram where they did.

LOL @ The New York Sideshow Circus Jets. Coples (who I like more than most) over David DeCastro and Melvin Ingram. Can't understand that.

Tampa Bay shot themselves in the foot when Cleveland went up to #3 to get Richardson. They freaked out. Tampa should have stayed at #5 and taken Morris Claiborne. Instead, they deal out with Jacksonville and got nothing in return out of that deal when you look at what Minnesota got from Cleveland to move up one spot.

The Miami Dolphins...A+ pick in Ryan Tannehill. The Miami Dolphins absolutely did the right thing at #8.

rob19
04-27-2012, 05:48 AM
I agree with almost everything you said J, but I disagree somewhat about Richardson. I think that kid's going to have a hall of fame like career. You may say top 10 is too high for a running back now-a-days, but if you go back to the 2007 draft, you'll have a couple teams that wish they would've taken Peterson higher.

1. Oak- Jamarcus
2. Det- Calvin
3. Cle- Joe Thomas
4. Tampa- Gaines Adams
5. Ari- Levi Brown
6. Wash- Laron Landry

I bet some of those teams are wishing they took a rb in the top 10. If you think the guy is going to be HOF special at his position, then I think it's justified.

JCane
04-27-2012, 06:12 AM
I agree with almost everything you said J, but I disagree somewhat about Richardson. I think that kid's going to have a hall of fame like career. You may say top 10 is too high for a running back now-a-days, but if you go back to the 2007 draft, you'll have a couple teams that wish they would've taken Peterson higher.

1. Oak- Jamarcus
2. Det- Calvin
3. Cle- Joe Thomas
4. Tampa- Gaines Adams
5. Ari- Levi Brown
6. Wash- Laron Landry

I bet some of those teams are wishing they took a rb in the top 10. If you think the guy is going to be HOF special at his position, then I think it's justified.

Without a doubt...and Peterson is a great talent.

But Peterson has been able to win what in Minnesota.

And don't get me wrong, it's not Peterson's fault. But Peterson has suffered some injuries, etc.

And that's a big part of why I say that a RB in the top 10-15 just isn't worth it anymore.

What you spend v. what you get in return isn't worth it. Shelf life for a RB is three years and the league is only getting more and more violent.

As a result, teams are platooning RBs and WINNING with that formula. Concentrating more on QB, TE, WR, and pass rushers.

I just think that if I was Cleveland and it was my pick, I would have taken Morris Claiborne or Justin Blackmon. It's kinda becoming like offensive line. It doesn't make much sense to draft one very high anymore. You can find guys later in drafts.

The other day, McShay pointed out that the past five Super Bowl winning left tackles...dudes I've hardly heard of...but those teams have great Quarterbacks.

rob19
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
I definitely agree with you in theory, and with the Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson, Reggie Bush, and Darren McFadden experiments all going south, I think it's scared a lot of teams out of taking a running back that high anymore; but every 5-10 years or so, I think you'll have a HOF potential of a running back that teams will be hard pressed to pass on, especially for a guy like Justin Blackmon, whom I don't think is ever going to be an elite receiver in this league.

JCane
04-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Other than Andrew Luck, I think Justin Blackmon is the biggest can't miss prospect in the draft.

That kid unreal.

Fin Thirteen
04-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Best draft strategy: Cowboys for Claiborne
Best value pick: Eagles for Cox
Biggest upgrade to team: Washington for RG3, Cleveland for Richardson and Weedon

Stupidest draft strategy: TB
Worst Value pick: TB for Barron
Worst upgrade to team: Cincinnati for Kirkpatrick and Zeitler

rob19
04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Other than Andrew Luck, I think Justin Blackmon is the biggest can't miss prospect in the draft.

That kid unreal.

We'll have to see about that, he's got average size & average speed, & I think he'll end up being above average, but not elite in the way that Megatron, Fitz, or Andre, are, & I think if you take a receiver in the top 5 you'd expect him to be elite.

AJDUHEJETKILLER
04-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I like most of canes assessment. I think the
Rams played around too much

The browns made the right pick, he could take pressure off their qb position. Think about what midget woodhead and the law firm did for Brady, it does help keep the d honest.

Imagine being a seahwawk fan and their pick? We had him marked in the 3rd or 4th, wtf? I would love to hear our "fans" after that pick.

Jets pick will be a good one for them

We stop trading picks away, build thru the draft, and not over pay fa's in $ or length and we will be fine

ROADRUNNER
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Cowboys, great pic........Pitt got a ****ing steal........and Pats once again winners of the first round.

finfan54
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I dont think Jones and Hightower upgrade anything really. I think the Jones pick was too high and he got talked up yesterday cus they knew Pats were high on him. thats the only reason. So they talked him up.

Hightower they gave up the rest of their draft after 2nd round. They already have Meyo and Spikes. Not really sure how this guy sees the field a whole lot to make an impact. So they overdrafted IMO. Not buyin the continuous love for BB. As soon as Brady gets a little older. call it a career. BB is now officially overrated.