PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Dolphins first three rounds

JC
04-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Ryan Tannehill - A: I don't care what anyone says. This pick grades out very highly. This is the third quarterback we have ever taken in the first round. This is the first quarterback Miami has taken in the first round since Dan Marino. While Tannehill is raw and only started 19 games as a quarterback in college, I see him as a very talented athlete and more importantly, quarterback.

Jonathan Martin - B: I give this pick a B simply because there were needs at receiver and defensive end. While we did address defensive end later in the third, this isn't a pick that will score us points or get after the quarterback. With that being said, Martin is the epitome of a zone blocking right tackle. He will need to get stronger, but he has some really nice athleticism and will be an immediate upgrade.

Olivier Vernon - B: Both Kiper and McShay raved about this pick. They said he was very talented for being selected in the third round. This was a need position and receives a B simply because some also saw this as a reach. I have very high expectations for this kid.

Michael Egnew - B : While he isn't going to play receiver, he is a very athletic tight end. He isn't a good blocker, but if he excels as a pass-catcher, he won't need to be utilized much as a blocker. We still have Anthony Fasano who is a more capable blocker. We will also be frequently using formations with two tight ends.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the quality if players we have drafted.

JC
04-28-2012, 03:09 AM
On day 3 I fully expect us to get one or maybe two receivers, an interior lineman, a defensive back and a fullback.

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks MiamFinsJC for your analysis and breakdown on your thoughts regarding these picks. To me all the picks are potential right now, I hope the coaching staff brings out the best that the previous regime failed miserably. In Philbin & Co I trust

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 03:56 AM
You have a typo in the Tannehill comment.

And, much more optimistic than I am.

I really like the Martin and Egnew picks, but as much as I like those two, I dislike the other two. While DE is a prime need at this point (Do we even have any DE's left on the roster?) Vernon has HUGE red-flags. Athleticism be damned if the kid has a bad track record and bad attitude....which it seems he does.

I watched 7 A&M games this last year in their entirety. Sherman better know something I don't (And he obviously does), cause this has the makings of us reliving a previous draft...except this time we took Brady Quinn instead of Patrick Willis.....I will cheer Tannehill on, but I think we reached.......really really far

EDIT: For what its worth, the media here in Dallas is having a hay-day with our pick. Even here, amidst Aggie-Land, Tannehill was viewed as a good 2nd-3rd rounder.

SR 7
04-28-2012, 04:17 AM
This team lacks so much it's sad ...we have zero DEs zero FS zero WR outside bess zero lbs depth zero cb depth it's such a depleted team I dk how anyone can call Ireland a solid guy.

We need two good WRs still we need 1 very good pass rusher and another good backup rusher we need a good G we need a ILB and af least 1 more good LB as security blanket we need a REAL FS not Clemons bs ass. It's sad in 4 yrs he ain't done shut but spend money on o line and still has a need to spe d a high draft pick twice on that area

Phinglish
04-28-2012, 05:22 AM
This team lacks so much it's sad ...we have zero DEs zero FS zero WR outside bess zero lbs depth zero cb depth it's such a depleted team I dk how anyone can call Ireland a solid guy.

We need two good WRs still we need 1 very good pass rusher and another good backup rusher we need a good G we need a ILB and af least 1 more good LB as security blanket we need a REAL FS not Clemons bs ass. It's sad in 4 yrs he ain't done shut but spend money on o line and still has a need to spe d a high draft pick twice on that area

Wow. Such a negative way of looking at the whole roster and the whole draft. I'm not saying you're completely wrong or that we're about to win a SB but on Thursday morning, we had no long term plan at QB, no right tackle, nobody on the roster that could potentially get to the QB aside Wake and no exciting, modern pass catching, field stretching Tight Ends.

It's only Saturday morning but now we have all of those things. We might not have addressed them all for ever, or even at all but at least we've got guys in those slots that we can give a shot.

I don't necessarily love all the picks but I live that we have fresh options at positions of need. Let it play out. If you go through life being so negative and expectant, you're going to have a very long, lonely one!

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Wow. Such a negative way of looking at the whole roster and the whole draft. I'm not saying you're completely wrong or that we're about to win a SB but on Thursday morning, we had no long term plan at QB, no right tackle, nobody on the roster that could potentially get to the QB aside Wake and no exciting, modern pass catching, field stretching Tight Ends.

It's only Saturday morning but now we have all of those things. We might not have addressed them all for ever, or even at all but at least we've got guys in those slots that we can give a shot.

I don't necessarily love all the picks but I live that we have fresh options at positions of need. Let it play out. If you go through life being so negative and expectant, you're going to have a very long, lonely one!

Well, to be honest about it:

QB- A SERIOUS project. We won't even have any idea what we have...or don't for very minimum of one year.
Pass Rusher- Vernon is not really a Pass Rusher...thats th dilemma.

I do like the Martin Pick. I think the O-Line is instantly going to be much much better. If Jerry can continue to progress, it might turn into a strong point this season.

Egnew might or might not pan out. He was a reach where we picked him. I hate to say it...again, but who he reminds me of most is Martellus Bennett...and that's not a good sign...if it works out that way that is.

sinPHIN
04-28-2012, 05:58 AM
overall i give our draft a B. very talented players wiith a huge amount of potential. but potential means they havent done it yet.

madridfinfan
04-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Ill give it a B-. None of our picks are sure things, its all about potential.

Tannehill...I don't like the pick (would have gone Kuechly), but I understand that we needed to pull to the trigger. Hopefully Sherman and Philbin can get this guy to continue to learn and grow so within a year heŽll be able to run our system with success.

Martin...Finesse LT. We need a RT. Need to get stronger and improve pass blocking. Can his game translate to RT? Philbin wants athletic OL, and he fits that mold.

Vernon...Potential is there. Can he focus? Drafted a round higher than I would have liked.

Egnew...we needed a seam buster TE. He fits the mold. Only complain is that I feel he was overdrafted probably by a round.

I Would have like to have seen our draft go something like this:

1- Tanehill
2 - Curry, DE
3a - Sanu, WR
3b - Hosley, CB

for today (based on what I would have liked for rounds 1-3)....
4 Massie, OT
5 Egnew, TE
6 Wylie, WR
6 Massequoi, OLB
7 Guy, S

But it is what it is, and hopefully we can grab some of these the rest of the way...

S- Iloka (4th), Martin (5th), Guy (7th)
CB- Boykin (4th), Denard (5th)
DE- M. Jackson (6th), Fugger (7th)
OT- Massie (4th), Mosley (5th), Compton (6th), Potter (7th)
OG- Washington (5th)
WR- Givens, Jones, Criner, Adams (4th), Childs, Toon, McNutt (5th), Streeter or Wylie (6th)

houtz
04-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Johnathon Martin is a sure thing. Ireland has had a great draft.

finfan54
04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Well, to be honest about it:

QB- A SERIOUS project. We won't even have any idea what we have...or don't for very minimum of one year.
Pass Rusher- Vernon is not really a Pass Rusher...thats th dilemma.

I do like the Martin Pick. I think the O-Line is instantly going to be much much better. If Jerry can continue to progress, it might turn into a strong point this season.

Egnew might or might not pan out. He was a reach where we picked him. I hate to say it...again, but who he reminds me of most is Martellus Bennett...and that's not a good sign...if it works out that way that is.

Of course, I disagree on Tannehill with you confessor. I see this kid flourishing in Philbins system in the "if you can count to four" offense. He is going to set the kid up with some talent and vision and I actually believe Tannehill has a leg up on the other two and will start at some point in the season whether we are winning or not. You heard it here first.

I agree with the Vernon pick. Head scratcher but we pinholed ourselves on DE with Martin pick.

Scotty P
04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
On day 3 I fully expect us to get one or maybe two receivers, an interior lineman, a defensive back and a fullback.

If we could land Givens and or Steeter, I would say this overall draft would be graded as an A. We have filler various needs so far. Solid OL, what could be a sleeper DE and a QB with huge potential.......not to mention a seam threat TE.

I am prematurely excited about this year already. Especially because I think there is one thing that Ireland does well..........find talent in rounds 4-7 and UDFA. And for once, I think he nailed round 2 and 3.

MadDog 88
04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Of all the picks, Martin is the most likely to succeed. I like the fact they took a chane by going QB at 8 but that doesn't mean problem solved. There really is no way you can grade a draft for a couple of year's.

madridfinfan
04-28-2012, 09:03 AM
the draft certainly has a different feel to it this year thats for sure. I don't think there is anyone on this board (i guess im speaking for myself) that has ever been totally satisfied with a fins draft, especially in recent years. Although I would have liked to have seen the cards fall a bit differently thusfar, I like it.

Still need 1-2 WR, CB, S, OLB/DE.

Dolphin Dave
04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I love the draft so far. It's so refreshing to have Parcells gone.

1. Tannehill- this pick is a huge risk. Boom or bust kind of guy. What I like is that they finally showed some balls and took a risk in the first round. No way Parcells would have allowed it. The FO identified their guy and got him.

2. Martin-this pick is brilliant. Perfect fit for Philbins ZB scheme and fills a huge need. Comes out of a pro style ZB scheme in college so he already has experience. Great pass blocker. Some people are worried he is not strong enough but it's a lot easier to assign a trainer to work him in the weight room than teach a guy technique. Can play LT very well so if Long gets injured again we have good quality insurance.

3. Vernon- I honestly don't know enough about the guy to comment. Looks like he fills a need and has the size and athleticism.

3. Egnew- great pick. He is a huge pass catching target @ 6'5" 250lbs. The guy is a WR trapped in a TE body. He is going to be a tremendous threat in the redzone. His biggest knock is going to be his blocking. He will have to be coached up on that.

Lots of good WR's still on the board. I would love to get Criner next. Great hands, size & precise route runner. Would be perfect for the WC offense.

vagrantprodigy
04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
I like the players we've got so far, but I really wanted to see us get a WR in the third... I'm hoping at this point we pick up a WR quickly, a DB, maybe that big safety from Boise, another late round WR, and another DE. If Massey keeps dropping, I'd love to see us pick him up too.

I watched the tape I could find of Vernon, and I'm very happy. He was getting alot of pressure, was good in pursuit, didn't give up on plays, and even split out of cover a TE at one point.

ChambersWI
04-28-2012, 09:28 AM
yeah as much as people want to rag on Ireland for picking OL, Martin was too good to pass up. Already knows the ZBS as well.

What we saw though is that this draft is not a great pass rushing draft at the top. Vernon has talent to work with though.

Honestly, I'd say outside of Martin, Ireland has been surprisingly taking risks with our picks. Even Egnew is a risk (though admittedly part of my issue with him is two guys I thought were better than him in Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker were busts)

Mudder1310
04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
For everyone to be happy with the fins draft we would have needed 15 picks, 10 in the first 3 rds. There are simply too many holes to fill to address them in one draft. So far I think we've done well. The new coaching staff sure seems confident in their ability to coach guys up.

ohall
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree with the grades except for one, and only because it can be labeled a reach. Ryan Tannehill IMO is a B grade.

I don't think that's how that will end up, but for now I think it has to be a B.

Fin Thirteen
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Generally very happy so far. All bar Martin were picks I was hoping for at various points (and I had Martin pegged as a late R1 guy so never thought he'd be in range)

It's a very talented bunch so far. Olivier will thrive once he gets out of UM and into Coyles setup. Egnew I think is a great pick, though maybe a round earlier than I thought he'd go (Ireland burnt by the Graham fiasco?!). I've seen egnew throw in a decent block here and there. He can do it if he's coached up but it'll never be a forte. He's a redzone threat and a seam stretcher.

Tannehill is the third shot we've had at a great QB in many years, after Brees and Ryan. We've never really been within range of anyone else. The coaches know so much about this kid, I have to believe he's going to be a great WCO QB soon. Ireland and Philbin must have had to take Shermans feedback with a grain of salt, obviously interviewed Tannehill without Sherman, so this is a group decision and one I think will succeed.

Very happy so far. Hoping for a CB/S type (Bethel or Greenwood in 5th/6th), a couple of WRs and a FB (Ganaway).

Good work, FO.

fishfanmiami
04-28-2012, 11:08 AM
B - Tannehill was a reach but he's who the coaches wanted so I'm ok with the pick. Right tackle and seem TE were needs that were filled.

Vernon may supprise. His coaching at the U is suspect and he'll need lots of work but he always played in the other teams back field. 20 + tackles for losses and many hurries to go with his sacks. Might be a very good DE in 4 man front. Hope so.

fishfanmiami
04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Here's ireland take on Vernon.
(On the Dolphins pre-draft interest in Olivier Vernon) – “I really didn’t know much about him until I went to the University of Miami Pro Day and my scouts told me to take a look at this guy and pay attention to him. My exposure to the player wasn’t as high on Vernon until he came in here, my scouts saying ‘we love him, we love him’ but my exposure really started getting more concentrated after I saw him at the University of Miami Pro Day and he came here. That’s when I really started studying him from this year and last year and our coaches got involved with it, so it became very clear to me that this was a guy that we should consider.”

(On Olivier Vernon performance at the collegiate level) – “You know missing six games this year and really only starting three (games) didn’t really have a great amount of production, but we trust our eyes and we trust what we see. We had a good conversation with (Miami Head) Coach Golden. He believes in him, and he’s one of our kind of guys, you know we talk in the same language that way, and I saw what he (Golden) sees in him to, so he’s a guy I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big year, and a big career also.”