PDA

View Full Version : What about the decision to not go hard after Flynn now?

Orlando Dolfan
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Why would Seattle pick up Wilson when they just signed their QB of the future? Do they not look at Flynn as a long term solution? Wilson is not a project. Either he can play at 5'10 or he can not. He isn't going to grow. He will not be better in a few years. That pick has me baffled.

67Stang
04-28-2012, 07:40 AM
I think this is more of a question of what they will do with Jackson.

Scrap
04-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Also, Philbin coached Flynn, and Sherman coached Tannehill. Seems like they both have opposing inside perspectives.

rob19
04-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Like Stang said, they might want to keep Wilson as the #2 and either dump, or trade, Tavaris to save some salary.

Orlando Dolfan
04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I think both Miami and Seattle do not see Flynn as a long term solution. Not a franchise QB. Maybe our front office is smarter than they get credit for.

rob19
04-28-2012, 07:56 AM
That said, I don't think we have to throw dirt on Flynn to justify the Tannehill pick. I love the pick, I think it's a pick you had to take a chance on, he has all the tools, and I think will be very effective in our WC offense.

Orlando Dolfan
04-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Like Stang said, they might want to keep Wilson as the #2 and either dump, or trade, Tavaris to save some salary.

Wilson does not have the attitude of a back up QB though. Especially when there is not a veteran QB ( at least proven) in front of him. I see a huge conflict ahead.

67Stang
04-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Wilson does not have the attitude of a back up QB though. Especially when there is not a veteran QB ( at least proven) in front of him. I see a huge conflict ahead.
Montana and Young did it....competition is good! I don't think they would have paid Flynn like they did if they didn't see him as a possible long term guy. You need 2 good QBs these days.

MadDog 88
04-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Why would Seattle pick up Wilson when they just signed their QB of the future? Do they not look at Flynn as a long term solution? Wilson is not a project. Either he can play at 5'10 or he can not. He isn't going to grow. He will not be better in a few years. That pick has me baffled.
Wilson is a project that is nowhere near ready to start for an NFL team.

Vaark
04-28-2012, 08:13 AM
That said, I don't think we have to throw dirt on Flynn to justify the Tannehill pick. I love the pick, I think it's a pick you had to take a chance on, he has all the tools, and I think will be very effective in our WC offense.

It would merely appear that the guy who best knew Flynn had considerably less conviction about him than the guy did who was most familiar with Tannehill. Obviously they opined that he didn't really bring anything new to the party which we didn't already have in Moore.

However, I don't think anyone threw dirt on him. As a matter of fact, IMO Philbin, in consideration of his years with Flynn, as a public face-saving gesture, brought him in and extended e a token offer if for nothing more than for the sake of providing Seattle with post-purchase reinforcement. With all the QB hungry teams out there, it's telling that Seattle's was the only serious offer he received.

Gonzo
04-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Wilson absolutely is a project. Day one starters don't typically go in the 3rd Rd. I don't see how having a back up plan for the most important position in football is a bad thing. The Phins didn't feel like he had the ability to be a successful starting QB. Fine. I hope they're right. But, lets not act like Seattle is trying to back out of their decision in some weird attempt to make our decision look better. They chose Tannehill over Flynn. There's no need to justify it. We had two inside sources to both. Despite being extremely critical of Ireland, I'm comfortable with that decision.

Now, if they passed on Tanney and decided to go into next year with Moore and Garrard, it would be a different story. But for once, they showed some sense of urgency with the most important position in football. FINALLY!

Scotty P
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Flynn got a 3 year deal worth up to 24mm. Doesnt appear they are set on him, much like we werent. Tannehill will be a far better QB in the NFL..........mark my words.

rob19
04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
It would merely appear that the guy who best knew Flynn had considerably less conviction about him than the guy did who was most familiar with Tannehill. Obviously they opined that he didn't really bring anything new to the party which we didn't already have in Moore.

However, I don't think anyone threw dirt on him. As a matter of fact, IMO Philbin, in consideration of his years with Flynn, as a public face-saving gesture, brought him in and extended e a token offer if for nothing more than for the sake of providing Seattle with post-purchase reinforcement. With all the QB hungry teams out there, it's telling that Seattle's was the only serious offer he received.

I agree completely, I mean that we as a fanbase don't have to degrade Flynn anymore in an attempt to make the Tannehill pick shine brighter. Ireland pretty much indicated on Mike & Mike that he thought Matt Moore would've beaten out Flynn, and that Flynn was looked at as adding "depth", in the way that David Garrard is adding depth. For the first time in 29 years we've taken a first round quarterback, whom is supremely physically gifted, & who's offensive coordinator happened to coach the kid in college; I hope that alone would give most people reason enough to be cautiously optimistic.

Mr. Day
04-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Pete Carroll has always been high on creating an environment of intense competition for playing time. He is bringing in Wilson so that Flynn will not just assume that he is the starter. He has to actually earn the spot, or lose it to Wilson.

dolfan91
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I think Tannehill was Ireland's choice the whole time, and used Flynn, Manning and Smith as a way to manipulate the media and fan's into thinking otherwise. Ireland had his poker face on the whole time. The reason why people began thinking anything about Tannehill, was after Flynn went to Seattle, so Tannehill became the obvious possibility after Flynn signed there. After Tannehill was selected, all the info about Ireland's man crush on Tannehill came to lite. I give him credit, he had a conviction and did what was necessary to keep the info private, kudos to him. It was about time he did something about the QB situation. I hate to think if Ponder was there at 15 in 2011, what would have happened. But for now it seems Ireland got his man.

kosta
04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Agree with Dolfan 91

J. David Wannyheimer
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Yep. I thought it was kinda interesting that when the media asked Philbin about Flynn, he was very careful to say it was a mutual decision and that they should ask the player why he chose Seattle, even though it was pretty clear that Ross/Ireland were not interested in making him a big offer.

Flynn's father's comments were the most telling in the whole situation. He made it sound like Flynn definitely preferred Miami and was puzzled as to why it couldn't get worked out. Well, we know why.

Buff
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Flynn has had 2 starts. He has proven nothing yet some anoint him as the next Rogers. Even in Miami signed him, I think Moore would be the starter purely based on what Moore did last year.

Seattle signed Wilson as insurance.