PDA

View Full Version : Picks for trading back?

JFoxx
04-28-2012, 03:34 PM
It seems pretty clear what we've gotten for moving back in this year's draft, but I keep hearing how some teams are getting picks for next year's draft. Did we get any for next year for trading back the couple times we had today or just an extra late round this year? Anyone know for sure?

JerryD
04-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Nothing next year. All was for picks/positions this year.

RichmondWeb
04-29-2012, 03:57 AM
We traded our 2013 6th to SF to get Miller plus our 4th and a 6th this year.

RW

moinfin
04-29-2012, 05:37 AM
We traded our next year's 6th round pick to sf in the miller trade

finresurrection
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
here is the one fact from the draft where Ireland screwed up.

We traded down in rd 3. we went back only 6 spots and picked up San Diego's 6th round pick in doing so. to me this seemed pretty fair at the time. until the 4th round rolled around that is.

in the very next round, round 4 (picks hold less value in rd 4 than they do in rd 3), we moved up 5 spots yet it cost us San Diego's 6th this year and our 6th next year plus the swap of 4th rounders with SF.

Why would it cost us 2 6th round picks to move up just 5 spots in rd 4, while we charged SD only a single 6th rounder to move up 6 spots in rd3?

this math just doesn't add up to me.

JEDIJ007
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM

We traded down in rd 3. we went back only 6 spots and picked up San Diego's 6th round pick in doing so. to me this seemed pretty fair at the time. until the 4th round rolled around that is.

in the very next round, round 4 (picks hold less value in rd 4 than they do in rd 3), we moved up 5 spots yet it cost us San Diego's 6th this year and our 6th next year plus the swap of 4th rounders with SF.

Why would it cost us 2 6th round picks to move up just 5 spots in rd 4, while we charged SD only a single 6th rounder to move up 6 spots in rd3?

Ierland was High when he did that.

fish_fan
04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
I think picks at the beginning of the day always cost more than at the end of the day. This happens with the first pick of the second round where teams evaluate evaluate who's left over and there is always a surprise or two which leads to a bidding war. I think the same thing (at lower stakes of course) occurs with the 4th round as well.

I don't understand it to be honest since I assume these people are tracking who is getting picked and who is slipping, so I'm not sure why a evening of reflection inflates the first couple picks at the beginning of the next day. For some reason it just seems to be the way it is.

Mattyb
04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
A pick can grow in value depending on whose available. In this case Ireland really wanted to move back and either there was another team in the mix or SF was not really keen on moving back.

dr.jake
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Ierland was High when he did that.

the front office really blows when it comes to trade value. we inevitably get screwed every year.

cuban_refugee
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
the front office really blows when it comes to trade value. we inevitably get screwed every year.

Seriously?! I think Ireland and Co. do a fantastic job in moving up and down every year.....that is probably one of their best traits. If there is a guy on your board that is rated high and has fallen, it's worth what ever you think its worth. For example, Miller for two 6th rders is a hell of a deal. How many 6 rders end up making squads anyway. Do you thin Shannahan was high to give up three 1st rdrs and a 4th rd to land Griffin......not if you think that player will make a difference for your team.

kangphin
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
how about the Bush trade :)

J Tes
04-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Miller was the 2nd pick of day 3. After each day teams re-stack their boards and having an early pick at the beginning of each day is pretty valuable. Hence why moving up to get Miller cost more than moving down in round 3

Stefins
05-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Bottom line...
What picks do we have next year?

MiamiMuss
05-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Ill bet this trade was made before Givens got picked.

sluggo
05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
The value of the trade depends on which side is making the phone call. The GM making the call to move up is going to pay more than the GM making the call to move down is going to receive. In round 3 we were making the phone call to move down because Ireland didn't want to draft Egnew at 73 so he has to talk someone into moving up so we can't demand too much. With the Lamar Miller pick we were making the phone call to trade up so we had to sweeten the pot to get them to move down. In this game you want someone to be calling you rather than you making the call. The leverage is completely difference. Ireland did what he had to do and I have no complaints.

2413fanphins
05-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Bottom line...
What picks do we have next year?

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7.

I think..

cuban_refugee
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7.

I think..

That is correct sir.

phinsfan89