PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network gives us a "C" Grade

Roman529
04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Of course they give the Patriots an "A" and the Bills an "A" and the Jets a "B".....screw the haters and Pat slurpers.

datruth55
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Not NFLN, that was Mike Lombardi specifically that gave those grades out. He's never liked the Tannehill pick and the whole draft grade for us, according to him, hinged on that.

Geordie
04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
He also doesn't think much of the Martin pick either.

houtz
04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Ireland had a damn good draft can stop calling themselves a expert. Just moronic.

NUGap
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Charles Davis was very complimentary of the draft and was a big fan of the Josh Kaddu and BJ Cunningham picks.

gardena19
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Not NFLN, that was Mike Lombardi specifically that gave those grades out. He's never liked the Tannehill pick and the whole draft grade for us, according to him, hinged on that.

Exactly....Lombardi's grade not the network.....OP can't read the tv screen...

ChambersWI
04-28-2012, 06:16 PM
At the same time they said it was a good draft to build on

Mattyb
04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
who cares. grades are meaningless

LANGER72
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
If you go to the NFL.com player grade page, the Fins consistently drafted players who graded out in the 70's or higher throughout the draft.(70-80 is considered 2-3 round grade)
I don't know if that means the players are good, but it looks like they took the BPA for the most part.
Lombardi is a ass clown. His face make up is provided by Robert Kraft. The Fins could have taken Luck or RGIII and he would find fault.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 06:23 PM
i have no idea why you guys care so much what the media thinks...i could care less...that said i'm numb to every pick other than the qb one...if it pans out and he's a legit qb this grade will be an a regardless of everyone else...

frankly though i liked the way we started with taking the qb when we needed to but after that i was underwhelmed...

Finlawyer
04-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Exactly....Lombardi's grade not the network.....OP can't read the tv screen...

Triple chin Lombardi

LANGER72
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
i have no idea why you guys care so much what the media thinks...i could care less...that said i'm numb to every pick other than the qb one...if it pans out and he's a legit qb this grade will be an a regardless of everyone else...

frankly though i liked the way we started with taking the qb when we needed to but after that i was underwhelmed...

I agree. The picks were real yawners for the most part. I was expecting more top profile play makers early in the draft.
Llamar Miller is the only skill player I am excited about. Egnew, Cunningham, and Matthews...just players, no stars.
Kaddo, might be one of tjose gems that Ireland digs up each year. I hope so.

datruth55
04-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Right there with you. I like the Martin pick too but Vernon I think could have been had in the 4th, I was really disappointed we didn't get Chris Givens or Marvin Jones...how do you not get a better WR to help your new QB out?, I don't like the Egnew pick much...makes sense because Fasano is in the last year of his contract but if Clay doesn't turn into a solid blocker then we have no TE that can block between Egnew, Clay, Mastrud and Les Brown (if he makes the team...more likely practice squad). Didn't like the Lamar Miller pick, nice speed and he has value as a return man but I have major concerns over his shoulders, the fact that he can't move a pile or make a hole...guess that's why he's a 4th rounder. Don't know much about Kaddu but Slimm likes him so I'll take his word for it and BJ Cunningham is intriguing and so is Rishard Matthews. Don't know anything about Kheeston Randle though.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I agree. The picks were real yawners for the most part. I was expecting more top profile play makers early in the draft.
Llamar Miller is the only skill player I am excited about. Egnew, Cunningham, and Matthews...just players, no stars.
Kaddo, might be one of tjose gems that Ireland digs up each year. I hope so.

kaddus athletic and he can run but he's raw instincts wise we'll see...cunningham lacks long speed but runs nice routes and can get corners to open their hips and catch the ball underneath...but there's no burst there...egnew i have never seen separate slimm loves him but i just don't see it matthews is raw but talented and has long speed...needs to run better routes...miller has medical red flags for knees and shoulders thus he dropped...we may get something we may get a guy in the trainers room every day...

MiamiDolphin618
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I liked the Miller pick. I think he lets us flex Bush out on 3rd down and still gives us a homerun threat out of the backfield. We can create a lot of mismatches with those two..if they are utilized correctly. And thats of course if Miller can stay on the field...but given Thomas and Bush will get the bulk of the carries I think he has a good chance to do so.

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Didn't know about randall or kaddu. Martin plays off balance and lacks punch. Egnew can't block. Miller is great in the open field and on stretch and sweep plays, but won't be asked to go north and south between tackles which will be daniel thomas' role. I love Cunningham and Matthews.

LANGER72
04-28-2012, 06:39 PM
kaddus athletic and he can run but he's raw instincts wise we'll see...cunningham lacks long speed but runs nice routes and can get corners to open their hips and catch the ball underneath...but there's no burst there...egnew i have never seen separate slimm loves him but i just don't see it matthews is raw but talented and has long speed...needs to run better routes...miller has medical red flags for knees and shoulders thus he dropped...we may get something we may get a guy in the trainers room every day...

Miller runs with a physical style. That is what get's him injured. I like that toughness. Philbin and company need to use him on third down or splitting carries with Bush / Slayton. He needs to be smarter about running out of bounds and avoiding the big hits.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 06:42 PM
the other thing is we now have a log jam at rb...bush messam thomas and now miller...maybe this means that they'll get smart and take some of that load off of bush cause if they don't he'll be on ir...

LANGER72
04-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Didn't know about randall or kaddu. Martin plays off balance and lacks punch. Egnew can't block. Miller is great in the open field and on stretch and sweep plays, but won't be asked to go north and south between tackles which will be daniel thomas' role. I love Cunningham and Matthews.

We are changing to a more finesse style of blocking and pass protect. I think Martin will be fine. I think he has the athletic ability to pass protect. That is his strong suit.

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
plethora of horses: bush, thomas, messam, slaton, miller. Some backs are more prone to injury than some. I loved david martin and he's way more physical than miller yet martin isn't hurt.

BMarshAllDay
04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
everyone feels the tannehill pick was too early, so that is the reason for the low grade...but if he turns out to be what miami thinks he can be, it wouldn't matter if they took him 8th, 1st, or 80th...you can't "grade" a draft for at least 3 years anyway. i'm very happy with what Ireland did in this draft...no doubt this team is improved in many areas.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
plethora of horses: bush, thomas, messam, slaton, miller. Some backs are more prone to injury than some. I loved david martin and he's way more physical than miller yet martin isn't hurt.

you mean doug martin??? i keep hearing people call him ray rice and while i see where it comes from i don't think he's that same level player...

datruth55
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Miller runs with a physical style. That is what get's him injured. I like that toughness. Philbin and company need to use him on third down or splitting carries with Bush / Slayton. He needs to be smarter about running out of bounds and avoiding the big hits.
I think Slayton is gone. I don't see us keeping Bush, Thomas, Miller and Slayton.

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
sry meant david wilson for virginia

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
sry meant david wilson for virginia

va tech...yeah he's got explosive burst and quicks can change direction on a dime...i like david wilson a lot...tough son of a gun for his size...issue with him in college is he can put the ball on the ground...i love the giants draft...

BMarshAllDay
04-28-2012, 06:53 PM
if we gave michael lombardi a snickers bar, he'd probably move their grade up to a B+

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 06:55 PM
For me, I loved Cincinnati and GB picks. New england and GB recognized needs on defense and addressed them appropriately.

dr.jake
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
i'm an 0-fer. not one of my dudes was selected.the only pick i'm even semi ok with is ot martin. but i'd have gone guard there.oh well.
time will tell. but i will reserve the right to bitch and bitch loudly at this collection and further concede if i was wrong. go fins.

hooshoops
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
alright fellas i'm out...i usually take a break after the draft for a good while to recharge my batteries and maybe keep my wife and kids happy...ha ha...catch ya'll later

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with Lombardi...perhaps for the first time ever.

We seriously over-drafter every player with the exception of Martin.

The Confessor
04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
everyone feels the tannehill pick was too early, so that is the reason for the low grade...but if he turns out to be what miami thinks he can be, it wouldn't matter if they took him 8th, 1st, or 80th...you can't "grade" a draft for at least 3 years anyway. i'm very happy with what Ireland did in this draft...no doubt this team is improved in many areas.

Which areas are those? I see 1 where we are improved.

Agreed the draft can't be judged for 3 years or so. Very much agree...BUT, what if Tannehill is indeed a pure and simple bust? This draft is completely and totally blown IMHO....but we will see in 3 years...which is the EXACT conversation I was having here when we picked Ted Ginn JR..... IJS

silverfin
04-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Yep. The same Michael Lombardi who was saying the Jaguars third round pick (the punter) was a great one. :lol:

MiamiMuss
04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I wouldnt complain with the C for the grade because if any1 thinks its a good draft you are in for a rude awakining.

Good value were Martin and Randall....Other then that we had a bad draft...Ireland did a bad job.

As for the Bills i think they did great.Vikings did pretty damn good and Bengals did well.

sjsharkfanredux
04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Giants drafting david wilson and rueben randall A

New England Jones and Hightower A-
Jones & Wilfork bull rush collapses center and right side pocket. Mayo, Spikes, Hightower cleans up mess

GB plethora of defense picks, surly two will stick A-

There 3 teams picking at the back end of every round best of draft

Everyone in the media has negative bias towards dolphins, would'nt put too much into them right now

Awsi Dooger
04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I would give NFL Network no better than a C.

Juvenile coverage, particularly Rich Eisen, who has no business on that level. You didn't like the cell phone decision. We get that. We got that on the 40th sarcastic reference, no need for the 41st.

Eisen had a brilliant conclusion after Mayock ripped the Canes underclassmen for leaving. Eisen said they might have worried there would be nowhere to play. Implying the death penalty, and immediately...2012 season. That just what I want, an anchor who falls for the bar stool overreaction blather, the .0002% likelihood.

Brian Billick sneezed late Friday and NFL Network decided it needed to be rerun in slow motion. Every time I want to allow that network a benefit of a doubt it reasserts the low class tendencies.

Wildbill3
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Which areas are those? I see 1 where we are improved.

Agreed the draft can't be judged for 3 years or so. Very much agree...BUT, what if Tannehill is indeed a pure and simple bust? This draft is completely and totally blown IMHO....but we will see in 3 years...which is the EXACT conversation I was having here when we picked Ted Ginn JR..... IJSsorry but there was no solid QB to go after this offseason, heck even luck has some questions, so when exactly were we supposed to take a risk on a QB? they wanted Tannehill, and got him, because you can be sure, cleveland would've tried to trade up if he'd slipped past us at 8. for ****s sake they took weeden in the first and got praised for it! Every draft is risk, and at least the GM finally took a risk that was worthwhile.

zachblitz54
04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I give Lombardi a D for Dummy.

Ireland did a fine job with this draft. Lots of value.

moinfin
04-29-2012, 05:35 AM
It was Lombardi, so don't worry about it. On my part I'm more than happy with our draft. A very solid B+

Phinatic8u
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
How do people come to the conclusion we "overdraft" people?

Because some dude with a keyboard said so?

phinfan33
04-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I personally don't care what the so called experts said about us reaching or over-drafting players, if we don't start taking some chances, we're never gonna be successful.

Austin Tatious
04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Jeff Ireland is so much smarter and competent than Lombardi, it's not even funny. They asked Lombardi what he would have done instead, and he was a blathering idiot. He said he would have signed a free agent instead. Well, Manning is 36 and would have filled a different concept (short term) than Tannehill (long term). As for Flynn, it's plenty obvious that Miami didn't pay him for a reason. It wasn't a "strike out" as simpletons in the media portray. Miami preferred the 6'4 athletic kid with accuracy, ability to move, throw on the run, and gym rat tendencies over an undersized 7th round qb with a popgun arm. Who ends up better--Flynn or Tannehill? While not proven, it's clear Miami likes Tannehill better. Otherwise they would have paid Flynn.

As for where Miami picked Tannehill, Miami got value. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that quarterbacks are taken on a different schedule than other players. It's obvious why. The quarterback position is different in kind than any other position. That's why the value spot for a qb is much different than for other positions. That's why Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder went high last year and Tannehill did this year. That's how it works. The fact that Lombardi can't wrap his mind around that shows he is too feeble to be working as a GM.

And if Lombardi were consistent, he would have trashed the Patriots wacko second round pick of Trayvon Martin or Wilson or whatever safety from Illinois who can't play in the second round. Talk about a reach. The Pats have loads of picks every year and can't figure it out year after year. The considerable tally of defensive picks he has wasted is insane. They went to the SB based on Brady. It sure as heck wasn't Bellicheat drafting defensive talent, when you see that awful unit out there.

Roman529
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
And if Lombardi were consistent, he would have trashed the Patriots wacko second round pick of Trayvon Martin or Wilson or whatever safety from Illinois who can't play in the second round. Talk about a reach. The Pats have loads of picks every year and can't figure it out year after year. The considerable tally of defensive picks he has wasted is insane. They went to the SB based on Brady. It sure as heck wasn't Bellicheat drafting defensive talent, when you see that awful unit out there.

This!!!!!!! (Tavon Wilson....you were close). :up:

DolphinFan87
04-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I've never been a fan of Mike Lombardi. But god damn, I really don't care much about anyone's opinion there except Charles Davis because it seems like Charles Davis was the only person there doing his job. Any one of us can do their job because all they did was talk about the 1st maybe 2nd round pick and maybe something in free agency that the team did. Charles Davis went over EVERY single player we drafted and talked about their positives and a few negatives for a couple players in details. It would have been nice for him to say more negatives and all but it was nice to hear an in depth review of our draft.

allsilverdreams
05-13-2012, 07:41 AM
i think this draft class either saved irelands job or kicked him to the curb.we wont find out untill next year though

2413fanphins
05-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I was than and still am now, quite happy with this draft.

havent' been this pleased with a draft in a long time, maybe ever.

CANDolphan
05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
If anyone tells you that Miami didn't get value in this draft (from anything but Tannehill and Egnew) then they flat out don't understand draft grades/value. Miami got a steal in Jon Martin, a steal in Lamar Miller, a steal in Rishard Matthews, and tremendous potential from Vernon.

brennonk
06-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Agreed...saved Ireland's butt!

phintim
06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Interesting reading Lindy's that just came out gave the Pats a A in their draft but 5 out of the 7 players that they drafted were all injured in college. Makes you wonder. After reading all the draft reviews and mock drafts we did not kill it as much as my first impression. I am a bit worried about the U picks in particular as both are a bit raw in experience and the history record of Miller is a concern other than that I feel that while we also filled needs we also finally drafted some depth for the first time in a long time. Out QB depth appears pretty good. Really the Cunningham WR pick 6th, Vernon DE pick 3rd and Egnew TE 3rd were the only underated players based on all the draft guides. Ireland did trade down in the 3rd and got a 6th for Egnew who was projected in the 4th, Cunningham was projected as high as the 6th but more 7th rounder and Vernon must have come on strong at the end because most had him from the 4th to the 6th round. Like I said the Pats got an A for drafating need I guess but I am going to be interested to see how many of their picks end up playing with themselves in the training room

No1skewenjack
06-23-2012, 06:31 AM
I think everyone is looking at the Brandon Marshall trade and not looking at other areas

cnantista
07-01-2012, 02:05 PM
i think we are a better team heading into 2012 than we were going into 2011. Lets let the season play out and see where we are. I like the direction the team is trending in and i was happy with got rid of Marshall. Good teams don't deal with players like that.

TatyBug
07-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I disagree with the C, I felt we had a very good draft. I'd day B+ to A-

The Confessor
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I disagree with the C, I felt we had a very good draft. I'd day B+ to A-

Just have to ask this.....are you a U of M fan?

Otherwise, I have no idea how you could POSSIBLY rank it that high....

LANGER72
07-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I would give the draft a C+ based on my belief that we will have a starter in Martin and good contributions from Oliver, Miller, and Egnew.
RT is on the shelf, and the rest of the guys drafted are just guys IMHO. Very mundane and mediocre guys. Nothing special until proved otherwise.
Our free agent signings will make or break the year. Can Johnson replace Marshall at WR1? Can Marshall replace Bell at SS? Those are the big questions IMHO.

miland
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
just getting thread count up - sorry friends!