PDA

View Full Version : Great value at every pick, yet no credit!

normaniii
04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Im getting a bit pissed that a lot of so called drafts guru's from NFL network are raving over the Pats draft, yet somehow downplaying our own. If you look at the NFL.com draft tracker http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round - Ireland had value in every round, whereas the Pats overdrafted Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette, Nate Ebner and Jeremy Ebbert?????

The Pats drafted 3 players graded over the 80 mark, while we had 4, including 3 over the 70 mark, with Pats not having any.

IMO we had a very, very solid draft.

Ryan Tannehill, was overdrafted..........if selected by any other team other than ourselves. He was a top 25 player, but when you consider he already knows the play book and as Gruden calls it 'verbage', he has to be higher on our board. When you put that together with the fact he plays QB, taking him at #8 IMO is excellent value.

Dont get me wrong it is very early to judge, but this is the most positive I have been after a draft for.......I cant remember!

insom187
04-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm surprised we didn't trade back in the first and still end up with Tannehill later in the first (but who knows what they could get). I think that alone is why people are hammering us. It'll be a documentary on ESPN in 15 years if he wins us a Superbowl though lol.

SF Dolphin Fan
04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
This was clearly a draft for the future and I give Jeff Ireland and his staff credit for having that vision. It would have been hard for me to pass on Fletcher Cox or Luke Kuechly, but Ryan Tannehill was the right pick. I firmly believe that he's an elite quarterback when he is on the move. I absolutely love that part of his game. Yes, he needs to work in the pocket, looking off receivers etc. But he will be an upgrade over every quarterback this team has had since Dan Marino and could develop into a franchise quarterback with this coaching staff. I'm not sure if the team added a pressure player for the defense. That's the one question because I think Vernon is boom or bust. I love the Martin pick and think he will quickly be one of the best pass blocking right tackles. This is a game of split seconds and a lineman that can hold his blocks a little longer is like adding a big play guy. Love the Miller pick and I think the team will hit on the late receivers taken.

Mattyb
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
All these draft grades are based on drafting for need and drafting guys where they are suppose to according to the "experts" board. Note that none of these experts are employed by NFL teams.

Anyways, based on this formula for grading you could draft 5 future hall of famers and still end up with a bad draft grade.

JCfinfan
04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
We have to win to get respect. It is the only thing that is going to erase all the dysfunction that has happened over the last few years. I feel coming!

1972fins
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't care about these guys opinion, what matter is results, Miami is the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) of the NFL until these team starts winning.
In two years by the time Tanny acquires experience Brady will be 36/37 Fitz in Buffalo will only play 8 good games and Tebow will be the Jets QB.
2013 the fins will rule the AFC E book it.

JerryD
04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Somebody posted a 2013 Mock by Walter Football ... and we're picking 3rd!! Here we go!!

Wildbill3
04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
meh. tannehill would've been overdrafted by any team not named miami. Any team that didn't have his college coach as it's OC. Any team that had drafted a QB in the last 28 years in the first round.

LANGER72
04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
In the NFL, teams do not get measured with credits, they get measured with wins.

The biggest addition to the team was Philbin. No more revolving doors with coaches..that has been one of our biggest problems.

Even now, were are again changing the style and the players...moving away from Parcells model after a couple of years

If we want to win, we have to build continuity. That means accepting the fact that only one team wins the super bowl every year.
Sometimes even the most talented teams get knocked out in the playoffs. We have to think long term and have patience, even if we struggle.

Tannehill might be the guy, and he might not. Give him time to blossom and keep swinging until we get it right. We cannot keep recycling the team and staff. That is why they are laughing at us.

LANGER72
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
meh. tannehill would've been overdrafted by any team not named miami. Any team that didn't have his college coach as it's OC. Any team that had drafted a QB in the last 28 years in the first round.

RT was a reach. But he has some skills. The mobility factor is the one thing about him that I like. He is going to be a project in a lot of other ways. He has to get better at reading coverages, ball handling, and play faking. If he can master those skills...we might have something.

J. David Wannyheimer
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't know that Tannehill was a reach. We needed a QB desperately and our staff knows him better than anyone. He will come in and have a full command of the offense from day one. That's huge.

I think Robert Griffin 3 was a reach, with the Redskins basically giving up about two full drafts worth of value for a kid coming out of a college gimmick offense.

LANGER72
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't know that Tannehill was a reach. We needed a QB desperately and our staff knows him better than anyone. He will come in and have a full command of the offense from day one. That's huge.

I think Robert Griffin 3 was a reach, with the Redskins basically giving up about two full drafts worth of value for a kid coming out of a college gimmick offense.

I agree. When you talk about reaches, Washington made a huge gamble. That was the mother of all reaches. I liked RGIII, but not at that expense. It will be interesting to chart the QB's drafted this year and see how their careers peak. RT has just as good a shot as Luck or RGIII. All three are in tough divisions. The coaches will make or break them.

Wildbill3
04-30-2012, 11:55 AM

I think Robert Griffin 3 was a reach, with the Redskins basically giving up about two full drafts worth of value for a kid coming out of a college gimmick offense.I agree, its obvious that if we didn't draft Tannehill, then cleveland certainly would've with at least the 22nd pick, and probably earlier considering they would've figured out a way to trade up to get him. Others have mentioned they thought the bills would've taken him at 10 given a chance. so really would it have been worth trading back to make the fans more comfortable about selecting RT where the fans thought he should've been selected?

Again it comes down to this, if you think a QB is the franchise, you do what you have to do to get him. In our case all we had to do was wait til the 8th pick rolled around.

cuban_refugee
04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised we didn't trade back in the first and still end up with Tannehill later in the first (but who knows what they could get). I think that alone is why people are hammering us. It'll be a documentary on ESPN in 15 years if he wins us a Superbowl though lol.

I'm pretty sure we were working the phones for a trade down, but sometimes there just isn't any takers. Or, some of the teams may have offered us crap for a trade up. We did pretty well moving up and down in the later rounds.

Roman529
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Todd McShay said we had the 5th best overall draft ....he had the Pats 4th (I think the Pats first two picks were great, but they reached for Tavon Wilson and the rest, other than Bequette). I think he had the Eagles and Steelers as having the best draft. I can't remember who he had at #3?

The Omen
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure we were working the phones for a trade down, but sometimes there just isn't any takers. Or, some of the teams may have offered us crap for a trade up. We did pretty well moving up and down in the later rounds.

as I remember, we only took 4 minutes to make our pick. I'm certain that they wanted Tannehill at 8 and pending a Kings ransom (ala what the skins paid) we werent gonna risk trading down and lose out on him...

Before the draft, I was hoping they would trade down, but taking only 4 minutes to select T-Hill tells me that they really wanted and believe in this kid, and thats perfectly fine with me.

Fin Thirteen
04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
I think a lot of teams had a good to very good draft, so the fact that not many pundits are out there kissing our **** is because we're one of quite a number this season.

finfan54
04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Tannehill isnt any more of a reach than Andy Dalton was. The risk money wise is not the same. So whether or not any media douche wants to admit it or not, you will see alot more QB's go in first round from now on.

These media people started pumpin up Chandler Jones two days before the draft just before NE takes him. Anyone notice something here that has been a pattern? Mike Mayock says this guy will be the pick of the draft!!!! Seriously?! Nobody gonna call this out? Seriously? What kind of crap is this media smoking?

Its all biased which is why they hate giving grades, because now they are lazy and they have to defend one while telling why the other is a C. Forget it, these guys get paid to be nimrods. All they do is talk and the talk is all positive for most teams but the dolphins. I just cant see how any of these people are objective at all! New England drafted two guys people never even friggin heard of! Oh they had a great draft!

Chandler Jones. Im a Syracuse fan, this guy wasnt on anyones radar for first round! None! But BB and the Patriots....henceforth, they are so right to take Chandler Jones who missed more games than he played practically last year.

cullenbigcstill
05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
QB's get over drafted, RT was said to be somewhere between 15-25, and BUF, KC, SEA, ARI would have drafted, or were thought to have drafted him if he were available. By simple math, he was over drafted by 1 spot. The talking heads are absurd and theycontradict everything they say, and they don't have to take any accountability for it. We just don't know if 1 of those teams would have drafted him, why take the chance and lose him, by getting cut and picking up another pick, and risk losing him, have conviction and take you guy. They did that and I have respect for it! Who cares what everyone thinks, these guys are the same ones who said they believe in a few years he could be a franchise QB, if that's the case then by all means you go and get him!

The Omen
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
QB's get over drafted, RT was said to be somewhere between 15-25, and BUF, KC, SEA, ARI would have drafted, or were thought to have drafted him if he were available. By simple math, he was over drafted by 1 spot. The talking heads are absurd and theycontradict everything they say, and they don't have to take any accountability for it. We just don't know if 1 of those teams would have drafted him, why take the chance and lose him, by getting cut and picking up another pick, and risk losing him, have conviction and take you guy. They did that and I have respect for it! Who cares what everyone thinks, these guys are the same ones who said they believe in a few years he could be a franchise QB, if that's the case then by all means you go and get him!

agreed.

every analyst were saying for at least 2-3 weeks leading up to the draft that either Cle (4), Miami (8), Buf (10), KC (11) and Sea (12) were all posible landing spots for T-hill... others said if he got past 12 that Cle would jump back up in the 15ish range to take him...

So now that fins take him at 8 and they made one of the biggest reaches in the first round? give me a break!

keep in mind these are the same guys who had DeCastro as a top ten talent who slipped to Pit.

dr.jake
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Great value at every pick, yet no credit!
they've not done squat yet. and frankly i'm once again disappointed with our selections. but then playoff games are so over rated ....
top ten next year!!!!! or more likely we win one too many games to get the player we really need.

allsilverdreams
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
if you look at it we actually had two players that were suspose to go in the first round with tannehill and martin.so its almost like we had two first round picks.also miller was ranked second best rb on a lot of boards and projected to go in the second.
vernon we got right where most boards had him ranked an early 3rd
egnew we picked up before most boards had him ,but we got fuller as a udfa where he was suspose to go in the 4th or early 5th.
so i look at it as we had
two 1st a 2nd a 3rd and three 4ths a 5th ,two 6th and three 7th with all the udfa we signed including dennis and gray very good draft by our gm.he really pulled of some magic this year.

Exuro
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Belicheck's entire draft approach is all about value, so of course the media pundits blow him endlessly. Lucky for us, he needs all of those draft picks because since Pioli left he doesn't know what to do with them. Keep on drafting those injured defensive backs and long shot boom or bust prospects Billy 5 Aces.

torontodolpfan1
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
good draft