PDA

View Full Version : What Obama considers "money saved".

Dolphins9954
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama says his goal of defeating al-Qaida is within reach and that it's time to turn the country's attention to domestic concerns.
Just four days after his trip to Afghanistan, Obama said that money saved from ending wars in Iraq and Afghanistan should help pay down the national debt and go to health care, education and infrastructure.

"After more than a decade of war, it is time to focus on nation-building here at home," he said in his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday.
The president took note of the agreement he signed with Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday that shifts security to the Afghan people. He reminded the American public, once again, of the military raid that killed Osama bin Laden a year ago.

But he said the nation now should concentrate on economic issues such as tax disparities and government spending. Without mentioning Republicans, he cast the GOP view as one that promotes more tax cuts for millionaires while cutting spending "that built a strong middle class."

"That's why I've called on Congress to take the money we're no longer spending at war, use half of it to pay down our debt and use the other half to rebuild America," he said.
The partisan subtext of the address was clear. Obama is portraying Republicans as the party of the wealthy as he seeks to demonstrate action in the face of a slow economic recovery.
The address came as he went out on his first official campaign trip Saturday, visiting college campuses in Ohio and Virginia.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-time-shift-attention-wars-home-100802257.html

Someone tell Obama that money we print or borrow doesn't count as money saved. Especially when you plan to spend it or use it to pay down the debt.:rolleyes2: Let's pay down the debt with debt.

Dogbone34
05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
but...but he's really cool. i saw him on jimmy fallon

and, and (wipping boogers) he wanths fairnesth and thosial justice for everyone

- signed come on you know who

Dolphins9954
05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
It's basically like having a new credit card with a $1000 credit limit. Then telling everyone "Hey I saved $1000 dollars let's spend it".

LANGER72
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
... opening another line of credit at higher interest to pay off another credit card....and then spending some more...

jared81
05-06-2012, 10:59 AM
This guy is so stupid. Sad part is, minorities and college kids believe this bs.

Locke
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
This guy is so stupid. Sad part is, minorities and college kids believe this bs.

Disagree. We believe in his stance on social issues. If all the candidates are going to be the same financially, might as well side with the guy who isn't going to try to force their religious ideologies on you...

Dolphins9954
05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Disagree. We believe in his stance on social issues. If all the candidates are going to be the same financially, might as well side with the guy who isn't going to try to force their religious ideologies on you...

Lesser of 2 evils arguement which still leaves you with evil. Let's not forget Obama's horrible record on liberties and constitutional rights too. Both sides have their ideologies which require all of us to have less rights and liberties. Obama despises the constitution just as mush as Bush and Romney do.

Dolphins9954
05-06-2012, 11:51 AM

I would say a lot of Obama supporters do. Obama is either totally stupid when it comes finances and economics. Or he's counting on the ignorance of the typical voter when it comes to this issues. I think it's the latter.

LANGER72
05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Who is forcing their religion on you? ...or anyone in this country....Romney? :lol:

If anything, the universities are doing a great job forcing their ideologies on the incoming students. Conform or be marginalized.

We are not "hiring" a minister, we are hiring an executive. Obama has failed, time to "hire" someone new.

Four more years of Obama, Reid and Pelsoi will be devastating to the US.

Dolphins9954
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Who is forcing their religion on you? ...or anyone in this country....Romney? :lol:
We are not "hiring" a minister, we are hiring an executive. Obama has failed, time to "hire" someone new.

The same could be said about Romney, Boehner and Ryan. It's like we're voting for the next captain of the Titanic.

LANGER72
05-06-2012, 12:20 PM
The same could be said about Romney, Boehner and Ryan. It's like we're voting for the next captain of the Titanic.

We are all entitled to our opinion. I think that R-B-R would be a better captain. Obama is heading for the iceberg full steam.

jared81
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Help me here, what social issues does he stand for? Also, what religious ideologies is mitt Romney forcing on you?

Locke
05-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Help me here, what social issues does he stand for? Also, what religious ideologies is mitt Romney forcing on you?

I'm talking in generalities here. Obama has been pretty liberal on social issues. Romney has not shown anything yet, that I'm aware of, but he also Republican, and that's usually the party that attempts to do things like make abortion and gay marriage illegal. Most educated people are aware that fiscally, there isn't much difference between the candidates. Right now, it's the social issues that are important, especially to young voters and minorities...

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

If anything, the universities are doing a great job forcing their ideologies on the incoming students. Conform or be marginalized.

Here's an idea Langer. Take a college class. Just one. You have such a strong opinion on higher education, yet don't seem to have any first hand experience to base your opinion on. Take a class, and then come back and tell me how much ideology is being forced onto students...

Tetragrammaton
05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
A college campus is the only place that isn't entirely dominated by right-wing ideology. There are a lot of them in the Business and Economics department, but you can get all sorts of ideas everywhere. It is pleasant.

Borrowing money at historically low interest rates is fine if it is going toward infrastructure. It will pay dividends over time.

Vaark
05-06-2012, 02:26 PM

And yet we survived 8 years of Saudi toady Bush, treasonous Neocon globalist and big business tax and regulations shelterer Cheney not to mention several corrupt and bullying Majority Leaders. Yet here we still are :idk: Oh bla di oh bla da life goes on

Locke
05-06-2012, 03:37 PM
And yet we survived 8 years of Saudi toady Bush, treasonous Neocon globalist and big business tax and regulations shelterer Cheney not to mention several corrupt and bullying Majority Leaders. Yet here we still are :idk: Oh bla di oh bla da life goes on

A voice of reason. The PoFo is much much better than it was even a year ago, but there are still a few of the hyper-partisan posters that just make you shake your head. Another 4 years of Obama won't be noticeably different than if Romney gets elected. Its the exact same way that 4 years of Obama hasn't felt any different than the previous 8 years of Bush...

LANGER72
05-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm talking in generalities here. Obama has been pretty liberal on social issues. Romney has not shown anything yet, that I'm aware of, but he also Republican, and that's usually the party that attempts to do things like make abortion and gay marriage illegal. Most educated people are aware that fiscally, there isn't much difference between the candidates. Right now, it's the social issues that are important, especially to young voters and minorities...

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Here's an idea Langer. Take a college class. Just one. You have such a strong opinion on higher education, yet don't seem to have any first hand experience to base your opinion on. Take a class, and then come back and tell me how much ideology is being forced onto students...

Do you have short term memory loss? Man, give it a rest. We have been over this numerous times.

The social issues..abortion (murder), gay marriage, legalizing drugs, yea...those issues are wayyy more important that the budget, deficit, job creation, national security....at least while on campus.

LANGER72
05-06-2012, 04:14 PM
A voice of reason. The PoFo is much much better than it was even a year ago, but there are still a few of the hyper-partisan posters that just make you shake your head. Another 4 years of Obama won't be noticeably different than if Romney gets elected. Its the exact same way that 4 years of Obama hasn't felt any different than the previous 8 years of Bush...

I am speechless. When I read this type of post it just reaffirms why I do not spend much time here in the Romper Room.

jared81
05-06-2012, 05:50 PM

I Would argue that a lot of minorities that vote for Obama are socially conservative. It's just that he's a brotha so they have to kiss the ring. I am socially moderate (I believe in gay marriage, legal abortion, drug legalization, safety net for the poor, etc). I will be voting for Romney. Not because I like him, I just don't believe Obama understands basic economics. I want a president, not an entertainer.

Locke
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I Would argue that a lot of minorities that vote for Obama are socially conservative. It's just that he's a brotha so they have to kiss the ring. I am socially moderate (I believe in gay marriage, legal abortion, drug legalization, safety net for the poor, etc). I will be voting for Romney. Not because I like him, I just don't believe Obama understands basic economics. I want a president, not an entertainer.

I agree. However, the interesting caveat is those minorities who are socially conservative are also the ones that are a huge part of the Democrat voting base. Blacks and Catholic Hispanics are extremely conservative socially, but they tend to vote Democrat. It's an interesting phenomenon. The swing votes, being the youth and independent voters, are the ones who tend to be more socially liberal, so the socially liberal candidate will tend to appeal to them.

I disagree with you on Obama's understanding of economics, but I can't fault your opinion. We're still in bad shape. There's been some growth, but nearly enough. I think this was a bad situation to walk into, and no one was going to make a significant dent in the deficit...