PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Songs

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 09:13 AM
So me and a couple of buddies were having a couple of drinks last night and had a discussion in regards to the alltime most overrated songs. It started because a couple of these songs started playing at the bar and of course you have that drunk chick who screeches how she loves this song and half the bar is singing along. I didnt include any contemporary top 40 or Beiber or Lady Gaga ilk songs because i think they are all garbage but feel free to include them. So these are songs that are considered all time greats but to me range from mediocre to bad. The debate got pretty heated last night, which i think is a good thing, so i expect the same here. :chuckle:

In no particular order.

1) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

2) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

3) Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

4) Train - Drops of Jupiter

5) Eagles - Hotel California

6) U2 - WIth or Without You

7) Don McLean - American Pie

8) John Lennon - Imagine

9) Lynyrd Skynrd - Freebird

10) Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon

11) GnR- November Rain

Vaark
05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I would have to strenuously disagree with you on nos: 3, 7 and 9. ....And having seen the boys perform that maybe 25 times, violently so on #2!!!!!

On that one Harry, I've never come close to giving negative reps in the Lounge, but you tempt me. Had you included the Band's "The Weight" , I probably would have gone ahead and done so by reflex!! :idk:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/themsfightingwords-1.jpg

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I would have to strenuously disagree with you on nos: 3, 7 and 9. ....And having seen the boys perform that maybe 25 times, violently so on #2!!!!!

On that one Harry, I've never come close to giving negative reps in the Lounge, but you tempt me. Had you included the Band's "The Weight" , I probably would have gone ahead and done so by reflex!! :idk:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/themsfightingwords-1.jpg

LOL. And im a huge van morrison and Skynyrd fan. I like Springsteen too but in my opinion there are at least 20 songs hes done that i prefer over Born to Run.

And nothing The Band has done is overrated.

rob19
05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Disagree with 1, 5, 7, 8, & 9. Go take a hit of acid, and come back and tell me Bohemian Rhapsody or Freebird is overrated.

rob19
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Off the top of my head..

I think any song Nickleback has done is overrated.

I don't really understand the appeal of Jay Z so to me he's a bit overrated.

'Welcome to the Jungle' by GnR is more overrated than November Rain imo

I think 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen is more deserving of the distinction of overrated than Bohemian Rhapsody

I think U2 is overrated

Wildbill3
05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Anything by jane's addiction. ****ing radio station only plays two of their songs... every ****ing day. I'm so goddamn tired of barking dogs.

jared81
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Off the top of my head..

I think any song Nickleback has done is overrated.

I don't really understand the appeal of Jay Z so to me he's a bit overrated.

'Welcome to the Jungle' by GnR is more overrated than November Rain imo

I think 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen is more deserving of the distinction of overrated than Bohemian Rhapsody

I think U2 is overrated

100% agreed. jay-z is even the best rapper in new york, much less ever. i never understood his appeal. thats not to say he doesnt have a good song every now and then. but people act like he is better than bigger, nas, tupac, etc, which isnt the case.

CedarPhin
05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Disagree with 1, 5, 7, 8, & 9. Go take a hit of acid, and come back and tell me Bohemian Rhapsody or Freebird is overrated.

Bohemian Rhapsody might be one of the most complicated songs ever produced. That song is a masterpiece. American Pie is ****ing amazing too.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

100% agreed. jay-z is even the best rapper in new york, much less ever. i never understood his appeal. thats not to say he doesnt have a good song every now and then. but people act like he is better than bigger, nas, tupac, etc, which isnt the case.

Tupac was overrated too. Had some good songs, but as a whole, he was overrated. I thought Biggie was better, just my opinion though.

tylerdolphin
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Just off the top of my head:

Im a huge GnR fan and I absolutely agree with rob on Welcome to the Jungle. Never understood the love that song gets. It literally might be the worst song on Appetite.

Smells Like Tenn Spirit - Nirvana : seriously, what the **** is Cobain even talking about?

Stan - Eminem : Alright song but not legendary like people make it out to be. I wont even mention any of his post-Eminem Show, pre-Recovery stuff because thats not even Eminem IMO.

Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park : Liked theur old stuff...this not so much.

Anything by the Beatles

Walk - Pantera : Love Pantera, and this song is alright, but Ive never understood why this is their most famous song.

CedarPhin
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Im a huge GnR fan and I absolutely agree with rob on Welcome to the Jungle. Never understood the love that song gets. It literally might be the worst song on Appetite.

Smells Like Tenn Spirit - Nirvana : seriously, what the **** is Cobain even talking about?

Stan - Eminem : Alright song but not legendary like people make it out to be. I wont even mention any of his post-Eminem Show, pre-Recovery stuff because thats not even Eminem IMO.

Anything by the Beatles

Walk - Pantera : Love Pantera, and this song is alright, but Ive never understood why this is their most famous song.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/booman-1.gif

CedarPhin
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Smells Like Teen Spirit was somewhat of an ode to the Pixies, who Kurt Cobain was obsessed with when that song was written.

It gets its name because Kathleen Hanna, a friend of Cobain's, commented that he smelled like the deoderant Teen Spirit, and spraypainted it on his wall. It's likely that he did, because it's what his then-girlfriend at the time wore, Teen Spirit.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

U2 sucks balls. I've never understood their appeal. The group "Creed" sucked balls too, and so does the Insane Clown Posse, who I can't believe are still around.

Vaark
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Anything by the Beatles

heh.. Teen Spirit is convoluted, but Who Let The Dogs Out is an under-appreciated masterpiece. Go know :idk:

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Smells Like Teen Spirit was somewhat of an ode to the Pixies, who Kurt Cobain was obsessed with when that song was written.

It gets its name because Kathleen Hanna, a friend of Cobain's, commented that he smelled like the deoderant Teen Spirit, and spraypainted it on his wall. It's likely that he did, because it's what his then-girlfriend at the time wore, Teen Spirit.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

U2 sucks balls. I've never understood their appeal. The group "Creed" sucked balls too, and so does the Insane Clown Posse, who I can't believe are still around.

I think U2 post War is overrated and i also think the Joshua Tree was one of the most overrated albums ever. Eh Creed. They werent any good but what were they around for? A few years?

I like Petty alot but "American Girl" just came on the radio and that song just annoys me.

CedarPhin
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Whenever I think of "American Girl", I think of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Valandui
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Anything by the Beatles.

Anything by Nirvana.

Anything by AC DC.

Bow Down by Born of Osiris

Anything by Elvis.

Anything by the Rolling Stones.

Iron Man by Black Sabbath

When I say they're overrated, it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like them.

Valandui
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I also agree on Nickleback, U2, and Tupac.

CedarPhin
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
LOL @ anyone saying the Beatles are overrated. They just changed music and inspired legions of bands that followed them. Not a big deal really.

Vaark
05-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Beatles are great; that's not up for discussion. If I had to nominate a grossly over-rated song it would be the Stones' "Satisfaction"

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Anything by the Beatles.

Anything by Nirvana.

Anything by AC DC.

Bow Down by Born of Osiris

Anything by Elvis.

Anything by the Rolling Stones.

Iron Man by Black Sabbath

When I say they're overrated, it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like them.

Hmmmm. Sabbath is probably in my top 3 bands of all time but there are a ton of songs I prefer over iron man.

Also Bon Scott ac dc was great. After back in black not so much

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
LOL @ anyone saying the Beatles are overrated. They just changed music and inspired legions of bands that followed them. Not a big deal really.

Yep. There's actually this Beatles cover group that plays in the bar scene in ft lauderdale. They mainly play old stuff from the album Beatles For Sale but even though it's a cover the songs hold up so well when played live.

Valandui
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Not saying they weren't influential, just that they're overrated.

Vaark
05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Yep. There's actually this Beatles cover group that plays in the bar scene in ft lauderdale. They mainly play old stuff from the album Beatles For Sale but even though it's a cover the songs hold up so well when played live.

where?

LordPicklewagon
05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
where?

I think they usually play The Field every Tuesday. Not sure their regular schedule but I've seen them at maguirres hill, waxys and the downtowner at random times. Hmmmm. They always mention their website. I think it's something like 2ofusbeatles. Or something like that

Valandui
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Not completely on topic, but I just started listening to this band called The Reign of Kindo and they are absolutely amazing. They're like a progressive jazz rock band or something.

Tunaphish429
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Anything by. I wanna rock and roll all night is the most repetitive song of all **** time. I hate when I hear old ppl say that todays music is repetitive...wrong pop music is and kiss is pop garbage..another song like that is all of my love by led zeplin please please please someone melt that ****ing song into sewage. Honestly to me most classic rock is over rated...

Valandui
05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Hmmmm. Sabbath is probably in my top 3 bands of all time but there are a ton of songs I prefer over iron man.

Also Bon Scott ac dc was great. After back in black not so much
Definitely. I just get so sick of Iron Man. I'll **** myself if I ever hear stuff like Sabbra Cadabbra or Hole in the Sky on the radio, though.

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Also, anything by the Beach Boys.

baddsnapp4
05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
i know a couple vicodin makes a few of those songs better

GoonBoss
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
In no particular order.

1) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody- Madness! Please. I won't even start with the construction and delivery of the song. It's epic, and one of the
neatest songs in the history of rock. Add to the fact that Freddie Mercury was fronting....I just don't understand the reasoning.

2) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run- While I'd agree with you on just about everything Springsteen ever did, Born To Run is probably THE representative song
of Springsteen. It's good, solid, rock and it's held up over the years. I don't see how it can be over rated. Springsteen as a whole? Yes. This song? No.

3) Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl-Shut your whore mouth.

4) Train - Drops of Jupiter- I'd agree. Sounds like every other song that's come out in the last 15 years or so. I can't believe this is under consdieration as a great song.

5) Eagles - Hotel California- Oh come on.

6) U2 - WIth or Without You-DuggaduggaduggaDUGGADUGGADUGGADEUGGAduggaduggahdugah.....I've now performed every U2 song. I agree wholeheartedly, and will further say that the only thing U2 ranks at the top at is smug self importance.

7) Don McLean - American Pie- My head hurts. It wasn't meant to be a profound work of art. It's a song. It's catchy, and speaks to the history of early rock n roll. I don't see how it could be classified as "over rated".

8) John Lennon - Imagine- With you. All late era Beatle/Post Beatle stuff is over rated. Lennon as a solo artist was absolute crap, IMO. Imagine, is representative of the schlocky, self important, experimental drug addled existance he led after his association with the band.

9) Lynyrd Skynrd - Freebird- How in the world? It's representative of the entire stadium rock era, not to mention the Southern Rock movement.

10) Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon- The Kings are some interesting cats. I'll give them that, but I think just about all their music is over rated. I really don't see it
as being as profound as they and others seem to think it is.

11) GnR- November Rain Oh yes. Not even close to GnRs best offering. I think it hit because it was GnR. It was completely over blown absurdity. Now, had this song been done a decade or two before it was, my opinion may be different. Fact is, that song has been done before, and done better (See your list.)

I'd add Stairway to Heaven.

GoonBoss
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Not saying they weren't influential, just that they're overrated.

Anyone that has Ringo Starr drumming for them pretty much have to be.

I'd somewhat agree that the Beatles are over rated...But Cedar is right. Kinda hard to be over rated when you set off a global
pandemic of musical trend.

LordPicklewagon
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Definitely. I just get so sick of Iron Man. I'll **** myself if I ever hear stuff like Sabbra Cadabbra or Hole in the Sky on the radio, though.

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Also, anything by the Beach Boys.

Sabbra Cadabra is definitely one of my favorite Sabbath songs along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. IMO Juniors Eyes off of the Never Say Die! album is an underrated Sabbath song.

Beach Boys are hit and miss for me even though I think Sail on Sailor is a great song.

Bumpus
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
"Friday" by Rebecca Black.

Even though everybody hates the song, it's still overrated. :up:

GoonBoss
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Sabbra Cadabra is definitely one of my favorite Sabbath songs along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. IMO Juniors Eyes off of the Never Say Die! album is an underrated Sabbath song.

Beach Boys are hit and miss for me even though I think Sail on Sailor is a great song.
War Pigs is definitly my favorite song by Sabbath.
I like "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys.

I'd pretty much say that one can't consider the Beach Boys overrated if you don't also consider the Beatles overrated.

The Beach Boys weren't meant to be profound. "Fun Fun Fun" came on the radio the other day, and I have to admit
I started tapping the wheel. It's a fun song.

Valandui
05-11-2012, 05:17 PM

I'm pretty partial to Fairies Wear Boots (I tried to learn that bass solo for three months before finally giving up) and A National Acrobat as well.

CedarPhin
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Little known fact: Back in the USSR was actually the USSR equivalent to "California Girls". Both great songs.

Valandui
05-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Little known fact: Back in the USSR was actually the USSR equivalent to "California Girls". Both great songs.

I do love the White Album.

Bumpus
05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Anything by Kanye.

tylerdolphin
05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Country Road - John Denver

COphinphan89
05-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Nickelback blows. I hate that generic sounding overplayed cookie-cutter song bull****. Hated Creed for the same reason.

But it's really gonna be hard for me to separate the music I hate or am just sick of from the music I think is overrated.

I heard "Mama I'm Comin Home" on the radio the other day. Of all the Ozzy songs they could play, I've never understood why that song has gotten the airplay it has. As for Pantera, "Walk" gets the airplay it does almost solely because of the solo. Dime killed it so perfectly with that one he made it worth waiting through one of his more boring and simplistic riffs and Phil's so-so lyrics. In fact, Walk wasn't even better than half the other songs on that album.

Enter Sandman is another song that doesn't deserve its overplayage.

Almost all Red Hot Chili Peppers material post-Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a bunch of boring, radio-friendly, sold-out, schmaltzy bull****.

I'm so sick of Crazy Train, Sweet Home Alabama, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Runnin With the Devil, etc. I could jump off a bridge if I heard them again.

Bumpus
05-12-2012, 04:30 AM
You know ... I'm gonna go the other way with this thread.

I defy you to bitch about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jiq2fVSUfY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Valandui
05-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Nickelback blows. I hate that generic sounding overplayed cookie-cutter song bull****. Hated Creed for the same reason.

But it's really gonna be hard for me to separate the music I hate or am just sick of from the music I think is overrated.

I heard "Mama I'm Comin Home" on the radio the other day. Of all the Ozzy songs they could play, I've never understood why that song has gotten the airplay it has. As for Pantera, "Walk" gets the airplay it does almost solely because of the solo. Dime killed it so perfectly with that one he made it worth waiting through one of his more boring and simplistic riffs and Phil's so-so lyrics. In fact, Walk wasn't even better than half the other songs on that album.

Enter Sandman is another song that doesn't deserve its overplayage.

Almost all Red Hot Chili Peppers material post-Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a bunch of boring, radio-friendly, sold-out, schmaltzy bull****.

I'm so sick of Crazy Train, Sweet Home Alabama, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Runnin With the Devil, etc. I could jump off a bridge if I heard them again.

My favorite Ozzy song is Shot in the Dark. My friend got a two disc greatest hits CD of his and that song wasn't on there. I was pissed.

LANGER72
05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Anything by Neil Sedaka or Frank Zappa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPIoQVL0hOs

CedarPhin
05-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Nonsense. Zappa was the man.

Gonzo
05-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Nickelback is ****ing horrible. One of the worst "big" bands out today.

As for most overrated songs, IMO, most of the ones that come to mind are more along the lines of songs I'm tired of hearing after the billionth time. They may be great, but I could live quite happy without hearing Bohemian Rhapsody, Hotel California, Freebird, anything by Kiss, Stairway to Heaven, November Rain, Born to be Wild, "Wrapped up like a douche," California Girls, Drift Away, etc. ever again. Or Lil' Wayne. Or anything by Rush. Or Drake. God damn you Canada...

COphinphan89
05-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Anything by Neil Sedaka or Frank Zappa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPIoQVL0hOs
Blasphemy!

Ricky Tan
05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
stairway to heaven

Funky Fin
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
stairway to heaven

There is a difference between overplayed and overrated. Stairway to Heaven is an epic anthem for Rock n Roll history.
:420:

Killerphins
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Anything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers after Mother's Milk.

Killerphins
05-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Nickelback is ****ing horrible. One of the worst "big" bands out today.

As for most overrated songs, IMO, most of the ones that come to mind are more along the lines of songs I'm tired of hearing after the billionth time. They may be great, but I could live quite happy without hearing Bohemian Rhapsody, Hotel California, Freebird, anything by Kiss, Stairway to Heaven, November Rain, Born to be Wild, "Wrapped up like a douche," California Girls, Drift Away, etc. ever again. Or Lil' Wayne. Or anything by Rush. Or Drake. God damn you Canada...

You forgot Foreigner.

Looking forward to the next Rush record Gonzo. You lost me there.

Gonzo
05-17-2012, 01:18 AM
You forgot Foreigner.

Looking forward to the next Rush record Gonzo. You lost me there.Good call!

Sorry, just can't stand his voice. The rest of the band is awesome. A lot of it falls under the category of overplayed too, particularly when I was living in Canada.

Speaking of Canada, the most overrated band there is actually not Nickelback. The Tragically Hip is one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life, which would probably get me shot if Canadians were inclined to use guns.

Valandui
05-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Anything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers after Mother's Milk.
I completely agree with this. Each album will have like one single that is so catchy I can't help but like it, but three or four crap songs.

Killerphins
05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Any one else bored with rotational radio? The Pink Floyd station or ACDC.
Pulling one out of the classic rock vault playing Nirvana..... seriously.
I miss the days when DJ's played what they like.

Gonzo
05-18-2012, 12:46 AM

And it's always the same songs from otherwise great bands. You just reminded me of one of my top most hated songs (solely from overplaying): Pink Floyd's Money. I cringe every time I hear the cash registers. A band that has HUNDREDS of songs, and that's the only one they play over and over and over and over.

LordPicklewagon
05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
And it's always the same songs from otherwise great bands. You just reminded me of one of my top most hated songs (solely from overplaying): Pink Floyd's Money. I cringe every time I hear the cash registers. A band that has HUNDREDS of songs, and that's the only one they play over and over and over and over.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm a big Floyd fan but the station doesn't get changed quick enough when money comes on.

X-Pacolypse
05-18-2012, 01:25 AM

ICP had one decent album. That's it. After Great Malenko it was all downhill.

X-Pacolypse
05-18-2012, 01:30 AM
My favorite Ozzy song is Shot in the Dark. My friend got a two disc greatest hits CD of his and that song wasn't on there. I was pissed.

Yes! That's a great Ozzy song. Vastly underrated in my view. This should be getting more air time instead of Crazy Train.

Arsenal WV
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I disagree with the highlighted options.

1) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

2) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

3) Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

4) Train - Drops of Jupiter

5) Eagles - Hotel California

6) U2 - WIth or Without You

7) Don McLean - American Pie

8) John Lennon - Imagine

9) Lynyrd Skynrd - Freebird

10) Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon

11) GnR- November Rain

LordPicklewagon
05-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Yep.....thats why i love satellite radio. On my way home just now they played Pink Floyd. Pigs(Three different ones) full version.........Ozzy Over the Mountain.........Joe Walsh Turn to Stone and one of my favorite no frills pure rock songs of all time Motorhead Love me Like a Reptile

COphinphan89
05-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I hate ICP's fans more than the band. ICP has a couple decent songs, but most of it is ****.

Valandui
05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I hate ICP's fans more than the band. ICP has a couple decent songs, but most of it is ****.

Dear God those guys are ****ing annoying.

Gonzo
05-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Are they even till around? What was the other stupid clown/freak rap group (or whatever)? Twisted?

Neither is overrated. Both simply suck and have loser fans.

Dingleberry
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Anything by Bob Seger.

tylerdolphin
05-21-2012, 03:25 PM

****ing magnets, how do they work?