PDA

View Full Version : Slimm's 2013 Prospects (Seniors)

TedSlimmJr
05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

It don't get any better than this right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

ckparrothead
05-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.

sinPHIN
05-10-2012, 04:11 AM
I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

It don't get any better than this right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0
guy reminds me of a faster gadsen. where is he projected? def going to keep an eye on him this next year

TedSlimmJr
05-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.

If this is the only poor conduct on Vaccaro or Okafor's resume I doubt it'll affect 'em much. Skov's DUI he got himself back in February will probably have more of an affect on his status. A lot of these kids have been getting arrested.... including Montee Ball and Sammy Watkins.

Terry Hawthorne is the best Senior cornerback prospect in the Big-Ten in my opinion...followed by Micah Hyde. I don't know who prefers Johnny Adams but it ain't me.

TedSlimmJr
05-10-2012, 07:29 AM
guy reminds me of a faster gadsen. where is he projected? def going to keep an eye on him this next year

I don't worry too much about where kids are projected... all I do is assess them based on what grade I give.

Dobson almost entered the 2012 draft and submitted his paperwork to the committee. His Senior season will determine where he goes inside the top 100 picks or so. Right now without playing another down I'd project him inside the first 3 rounds. A big Senior season could push him towards the 1st round. He's not a finished product as I mentioned, which is essentially why he chose to come back for his Senior season.

He's one of the top Senior receivers in the 2013 class in my opinion.

TedSlimmJr
05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
This kid is probably going to be one of the most interesting prospects in the 2013 draft.

SMU defensive end Margus Hunt...

He came to SMU from Estonia as a track and field athlete, until SMU dropped it's men's track and field program. He tried out for the football team and earned a scholarship.

Hunt was a Gold Medalist in the World Junior Championships in Beijing back in 2006 in the shot/discus for Estonia. He became the first junior athlete ever to win a shot/discus gold medal double. He's also the current World junior record holder in the discus throw.

He's one of the best athletes in the United States right now.... reportedly runs in the 4.6 - 4.7 range, locks out 35 reps of 225, hang cleans 384 pounds, snatches 345 pounds, and has a 36" vertical at 6'8", 295 pounds.

The last DE to come close to those type workout numbers at similar size was Mario Williams, who was the #1 pick in the draft. Now, the difference is that Williams produced on the football field for N.C. State. Hunt hasn't yet come close to matching Mario Williams' college output, but you get the idea of what type of athlete he is. By the same token, he's not a bad player either. I just watched Kansas City draft a defensive tackle from the same conference, with essentially the same production as Hunt with the #11 overall pick in the draft based off his combine numbers by the name of Dontari Poe.

Hunt set a record as a freshman by blocking 7 kicks. He blocked 3 more as a sophomore, and 4 more last year. He's blocked 14 kicks in 3 seasons.

He plays defensive end in SMU's 3-4 defense under Tom Mason. His production is about right where it should be playing that position in college.

They line him up and rush him in a conventional manner with his hand on the ground lined up as a 1, 2, and 5 technique. He'll also play from a 2-point stance and get out to the flat covering the backs/tight ends out of the backfield.

You don't just go out and recruit humans like this. That I'll guarantee.

Vs. Pittsburgh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc&feature=player_embedded

TedSlimmJr
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen is going to be one of the top small school sleepers in the 2013 draft. He's a transfer from BYU who ended up going the JUCO route because all of the D-1 schools who were offering him backed off after learning he planned to go do his LDS mission after high school.

Big kid at 6'4", 230 pounds, and looks big on the field. Has played against some small school NFL talent in the form of Cal-Poly cornerback Asa Jackson.

Positives:

+Big, strong kid with a sturdy frame

+Strong arm that threatens every zone and every part of the field

+Quick, clean, efficient release... which is why he spins the football so cleanly

+Recognizes blitzes and hits his hot reads

+Solid decision maker and will hit his checkdown when necessary

+Throws with excellent touch on required throws

+Tremendous poise and pocket presence

+Understands how to manage the pocket

+Operates mainly from the gun, but does operate some from under center (mainly play-action bootlegs)

+Short stride and stays balanced, which makes his release that much quicker

+Follows through with his mechanics

+Squares his shoulders to the target when throwing on the run. Throws off proper foot

+Will come off his 1st read and work through his progressions to get to his 2nd, and sometimes 3rd option

+Understands coverages and how to attack the weaknesses of each

+3 years of starting experience

Negatives:

-Will be a little old for a rookie...about 25 years of age

-Level of competition

He plays the quarterback position in a mature manner, which is what I like to see. One of the better small school quarterback prospects I've scouted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jORMM1DxVPs

JCPHIN_PHAN
05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for posting these insights Slimm, Would have thought you would be giving your eyes a break from film work. Thanks for your time.

TedSlimmJr
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Arkansas tight end Chris Gragg flat out gets after it in the blocking department. One of the more quality blocking tight ends you'll find in the college game nowdays despite not being the best equipped to do it. If a lot of these bigger TE's that are subpar blockers blocked the way Gragg does, they'd be a lot more coveted on draft day.

Came out of high school as a 2-star wide receiver and put on about 40 pounds since arriving in Fayetteville. Plays in-line, H-back, Wing-back, and flexed out at about 6'3", 235 pounds now.

Strong runner after the catch. Only caught 8 passes as a sophomore playing behind D.J. Williams 2 years ago, but averaged 21.3 yard/catch.

Production increased as a Junior to the tune of 41 receptions, 518 yards, and 2 TD's after earning the starting role upon Williams going pro. Should have a big Senior season. Might catch upwards of 60 passes this year.

Nice mid-round prospect.

vs. Mississippi St:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49dhCOLxzDE

Pat-London
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o.

100% agree.... I'm an ND Fan but think Te'o is overrated. Love the way Skov plays... reckless but controlled abandon

hooshoops
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
teo is overrated as is that de golston kid from mich state...

insom187
05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Favorite line from that Hunt video: His only football before this was in a video game.

Lol

sinPHIN
05-11-2012, 02:02 AM
100% agree.... I'm an ND Fan but think Te'o is overrated. Love the way Skov plays... reckless but controlled abandon

i agree, i cant believe he got a dui. i dont get why so many talented players put themselves in bad situations

torontodolpfan1
05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
bump

TedSlimmJr
05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Shamarko Thomas / S / Syracuse

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 208

This kid is one of the best athletes that will enter the 2013 draft. A lot of coaches like to use the term "freak" when discussing Shamarko Thomas. One of Syracuse's coaches recently took Thomas to a Nike National camp and they had the medicine ball throw where you get on your knees and throw it. They had it measured off where they thought guys would throw it. Thomas threw it past the allotted area by 10 or 15 feet. Prompting the coach running the event to say, "That's crazy". The biggest lineman there who measured 6'5", 300+ pounds didn't even get half the distance that Shamarko Thomas did.

He's already reportedly ran two 40 yard dashes for NFL scouts that were both sub-4.3 when he almost entered the 2012 Draft and submitted his paperwork.

His work ethic is legendary. Only a 2-star recruit, and originally signed with Louisville before deciding on Syracuse, he's become a force defensively in the Big-East through sheer determination and hard work. He considers Ray Lewis' his mentor and patterns his work ethic after Lewis. He eats, sleeps, and breathes football. All he wants to do is workout in order to become the best player he can be.

Here's a little article that talks about how when his teammates come to visit and want to play video games, etc.... he's out pushing his car.... uphill.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/10/syracuse_university_football_s_7.html

This is all he does. Here's a little workout with teammate Tyson Gulley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4GCm4hbQAY&feature=related

One of those sub-4.3 dashes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imogy2itViA&feature=related

Coaches like to use Thomas up near the LOS, as an overhanging and/or flat defender within inverted coverages. Physical player made of solid granite with outstanding game speed. Tremendous blitzer and tackler. He has some Troy Polamalu type qualities when he came out of USC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBKAw7pvMw

ckparrothead
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Well done picking out Shamarko Thomas. Has been one of the Big East's best kept secrets. Really made an impression on me in the Syracuse South Florida game back in 2010. Really not well liked right now, probably because he's never intercepted a football, but there are more ways to make plays than just intercepting a ball and when you have that combination of strength and closing speed on the football, you're going to be a player that offenses actually have to think about. With that kind of range, the interception opportunities will come.

TedSlimmJr
05-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Johnthan Banks / CB / Mississippi St.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185

Banks was a 3-star recruit who started making plays the moment he stepped on campus as a freshman when he tallied 33 tackles, 4 INT's, and 2 INT's returned for touchdowns... Like this one vs. Florida and Tim Tebow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yov4uFzbLes&feature=related

As a sophomore he continued to build on his success as a freshman totaling 54 tackles, 7 PBU's, 1.5 TFL's, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, and 3 INT"s. He put his outstanding leaping ability and ball skills on diplay with this one when they blew out Denard Robinson and Michigan 52-14 in their bowl game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=claPKQpcirQ&feature=related

As a Junior in 2012, Banks continued on his career trajectory totaling 71 tackles, 9 PBU's, 8 TFL's, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 5 INT's, with one returned for a touchdown. Mullen also began letting Banks return punts as a Junior. He had 16 punt returns, for 166 yards (10.38 average), and 1 touchdown.

Banks is a rangy corner with elite height, long arms, fluid hips, and elite ball skills. The best cornerback in Starkville since Fred Smoot. Should be a 1st round pick if he avoids injury as a Senior.

vs. Arkansas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1sc2_HxFk

vs. South Carolina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qw0GN4lrKc&feature=related

vs. LSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQxygFtcfg&feature=related

TedSlimmJr
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Emory Blake / WR / Auburn

Weight: 197

This is the type of kid that I would hope every front office in the league underestimated... because I'd snatch him up. I've always liked to watch this kid play. A 4-star recruit, and the son of former 14 year NFL quarterback Jeff Blake.

Adjusts to the football and has terrific hands. Knows how to get open, and has faced many of the best DB's and secondaries college football has to offer. Versatile and has played the Z, X, and slot. Tough and competitive. Effort blocker.

Owns the longest play from scrimmage in Auburn history (94 yard TD catch-and-run) and always seems to be the one to make a play when Auburn needs it. Recovered the onside kick attempt and advanced it deep into Utah St. territory to win the season opener in 2012.

Doesn't have blazing speed but is constantly getting behind secondaries. Still has a lot of untapped potential as a route runner. Will be even better once he's learned the nuances of how to run certain routes. Will be learning a new system as a Senior, and Auburn's quarterback situation is unstable, which could allow him to continue playing under the radar. I'll take him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiqrXAyxQng

TedSlimmJr
05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Robert Lester / S / Alabama

Weight: 210

I watched Foley against Prattville in the state playoffs in 2007 when Lester was playing cornerback for Foley High, where he was also a teammate of Julio Jones. Lester was on the scout team at Alabama during his freshman year studying under Rashad Johnson.

A 4-star recruit, Lester didn't quite have the speed for the cornerback position in the SEC and Saban moved him to safety because of his ball skills. As a redshirt sophomore during his first season as a starter in Alabama's secondary, he led the SEC with 8 interceptions. Including 52 tackles, 4 PBU's, 2 sacks, 2 QB-hurries, 1.5 TFL's, 1 fumble return for 89 yards (which we'll see in a moment), and 1 sack.

As a Junior, he intercepted 2 more passes, 3 PBU's, 1.5 TFL's, a forced fumble, and a blocked kick.

Robert Lester has improved as a player every year he's been on campus. He'll enter the 2012 season as the elder statesman in Alabama's young secondary, and one of the best ball hawks in the country. Intelligent player who executes most of the finer details required of the safety position in Coach Saban's complex defense the way they're supposed to.

vs. Penn St./Mississippi St.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mCig75d9gU

vs. Penn St. (2011):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKIctTDpspo&feature=related

TedSlimmJr
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Chase Thomas / DE-OLB / Stanford

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 245

The top Senior DE/OLB prospect heading into the 2012 season in my opinion. Rushes with his hand on the ground lined up at DE in 4 man fronts, while also playing standing up from a 2-point stance in Stanford's 3-4 defense. Experienced dropping into coverage and shows good awareness and hips to change direction smoothly. Moves around a lot as a blitzer, and even lines up in 10/20 techniques. In three seasons, he's accumulated 36 TFL's, 19.5 sacks, 8 QB-hurries, 8 forced fumbles, 3 PBU's, and 1 Interception. He'll build on that resume as a Senior and probably have his best individual season.

Since Jim Harbaugh arrived at Stanford, the program has churned out some of the best looking players you can find in college football. They've been so well coached on the details and techniques that I have a harder time finding flaws in some of them than any other program in the country. Chase Thomas fits right into the mold of Andrew Luck and David DeCastro as 3 players that for all intents and purposes, have almost no flaws. I can look at Chase Thomas and tell he was developed by Vic Fangio, who followed Harbaugh to San Francisco and coaches one of the best coached defenses in the NFL. Thomas literally does everything better than most. I think he has a chance to be the caliber of player that Clay Matthews became in Green Bay.

vs. Notre Dame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3tkp8O_6c

vs. Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/cDMUzj7zymg

SF Dolphin Fan
05-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Love your scouting reports, Slimm. I know it's early, but what direction do you think Miami will look in 2013 (say 1st and 2nd round)? I know to answer that you need to project how young players will do etc.

SF Dolphin Fan
05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Chase Thomas / DE-OLB / Stanford

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 245

The top Senior DE/OLB prospect heading into the 2012 season in my opinion. Rushes with his hand on the ground lined up at DE in 4 man fronts, while also playing standing up from a 2-point stance in Stanford's 3-4 defense. Experienced dropping into coverage and shows good awareness and hips to change direction smoothly. Moves around a lot as a blitzer, and even lines up in 10/20 techniques. In three seasons, he's accumulated 36 TFL's, 19.5 sacks, 8 QB-hurries, 8 forced fumbles, 3 PBU's, and 1 Interception. He'll build on that resume as a Senior and probably have his best individual season.

Since Jim Harbaugh arrived at Stanford, the program has churned out some of the best looking players you can find in college football. They've been so well coached on the details and techniques that I have a harder time finding flaws in some of them than any other program in the country. Chase Thomas fits right into the mold of Andrew Luck and David DeCastro as 3 players that for all intents and purposes, have almost no flaws. I can look at Chase Thomas and tell he was developed by Vic Fangio, who followed Harbaugh to San Francisco and coaches one of the best coached defenses in the NFL. Thomas literally does everything better than most. I think he has a chance to be the caliber of player that Clay Matthews became in Green Bay.

vs. Notre Dame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3tkp8O_6c

vs. Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/cDMUzj7zymgI like this kid. Stanford moved him around quite a bit. Where do you see his best position? Looks to me like he could play middle linebacker, yes?

Pimento13
05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Dont you think its a bit early

Bumpus
05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Dont you think its a bit early

Well, it is the draft forum ... nobody forced you to enter it during May. :idk:

ckparrothead
06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Elon WR Aaron Mellette is another guy to watch out for in 2012. He was a basketball player until halfway through High School, which contributed to him being very under the radar in the recruiting process. He grew up in Sanford, North Carolina. He got some interest from some Conference USA and other FBS teams, but nothing from the major programs, and so he decided to go to school at Elon, which is right up the road from where he grew up.

He broke out in 2010 with 86 catches for 1,100 yards and 12 TDs. But then he turned it up a few notches in 2011 with 113 catches for 1,639 yards and 12 TDs. He averaged 10.27 catches and 149.0 yards per game. The games from 2011 that you will probably want to watch are his Appalachian State and Vanderbilt games.

One NFL scout spoke very highly of Mellette and said that if you watch that Appalachian State game, Brian Quick and Aaron Mellette were both on the field that day, and even though Brian Quick went #33 overall to the Rams, Mellette was the better football player that day. He had 14 catches for 236 yards and 1 TD.

As for the Vanderbilt game, it was the first game of the season for Elon and Mellette went off for 11 catches and 180 yards, with 1 TD. The Commodores boasted some secondary talent, too. Sean Richardson is an athletic strong safety that is now in camp with the Packers as a UDFA. Casey Hayward is Vanderbilt's co-record holder for career interceptions with 15, two-time All-SEC selection, All America as a senior, intercepted 7 passes as a senior, was drafted #62 overall in the 2nd round by the Green Bay Packers. Trey Wilson is another corner in that secondary to keep your eye on, as he won SEC Defensive PLayer of the Week after a 2 interception, 2 touchdown performance against Ole Miss. Javon Marshall isn't a bad safety, either. Yet, Aaron Mellette made them all look silly at times.

Here's a record of how leading receivers did against Vanderbilt in 2011:

Team - Season's Top WR, Game's Top WR
Elon - Aaron Mellette 11-180-1, Aaron Mellette 11-180-1
UConn - Kashif Moore 1-14-0, Ryan Griffin 4-47-0
Ole Miss - Donte Moncrief 1-47-1, Ja-Mes Logan 3-48-0
South Carolina - Alshon Jeffery 2-34-0, Ace Sanders 4-75-0
Alabama - Marquis Maze 9-93-0, DeAndrew White 3-58-2
Georgia - Tavarres King 5-57-1, Marlon Brown 4-121-2
Army - Davyd Brooks 0-0-0, Jared Hassin 1-18-0
Arkansas - Jarius Wright 10-135-1, Jarius Wright 10-135-1
Florida - Andre Debose 2-25-0, Omarius Hines 1-40-0
Kentucky - La'Rod King 5-82-0, La'Rod King 5-82-0
Tennessee - Da'Rick Rogers 10-116-2, Da'Rick Rogers 10-116-2
Wake Forest - Chris Givens 4-69-0, Chris Givens 4-69-0
Cincinnati - Anthony McClung 1-8-0, Alex Chisum 1-12-0

What is notable here is not necessarily that the Vandy secondary did not allow receivers to have good days against them, but rather that they did not allow teams' TOP receivers to have great days against them, generally. Guys like Chris Givens, Kashif Moore, Andre Debose, Tavarres King and Alshon Jeffery did not have good days against that Vandy secondary. Da'Rick Rogers did, but then I think Rogers is another terrific receiver talent (unfortunately I hear he's a headcase). Jarius Wright had a great day against Vandy's secondary.

But arguably, Mellette had the best game of any receiver against Vandy this year, and arguably had the biggest bull's eye on his back for the Vandy secondary to game plan against because he was highly productive in 2010, the team's leading receiver, and the guy who caught a lot of balls next to him wasn't there anymore...so you knew Mellette was going to be by far the biggest part of the passing game plan.

The reason you'd want to pay attention to Mellette if you're a Miami fan is just because he really fits what Joe Philbin likes in a receiver, or at least what I perceive to be what he likes in a receiver. Mellette is thought to be a little over 6í3Ē tall which is actually a little atypical for Joe Philbin from a size standard, but I donít find that he moves like a tall player, which is why the height will not be considered a detriment to his draft grade. Mellette has solid mass on that frame at about 215 lbs. His movement is very quick, but most importantly it is very balanced. I rarely see him running, cutting or making adjustments without his weight square and balanced, which gives him added quickness and the ability to break through contact after the catch. He gets his feet under himself very quickly and can stop and start very quickly. He tracks the ball in the air as well as you could want, and makes over the shoulder catches look routine. He snatches the ball with his hands when he can and uses his body to shield it when in traffic. He adjusts on the ball with urgency and quickness. The real question with Mellette is just long speed. Going against the level of competition he went against, it is not always easy to see how fast he truly is. I hate to keep bringing up Jordy Nelson but thatís kind of the player I see. Same dimensions, same kind of balance and quickness. The balance creates tackle breaking potential for Mellette just as it does Nelson. And when you get Mellette at the Combine, I could see him running the same 4.51 that Jordy Nelson did.

Josh Buchanon, who does work on small school players for NFL teams and also sells his work publicly, speaks extremely high on Mellette. He's higher on him than he was Brian Quick, who went #33 overall to the Rams. He's alluded to at least one team with multiple championships agreeing with him on Mellette and rating him a 1st rounder so far.

TedSlimmJr
07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Rather than keep going in depth regarding every prospect I value, I'd rather start putting some prospects in the order I currently have 'em. I made this thread specifically for Senior prospects only and I'll eventually get around to all positions throughout the summer.. starting with the runningback position.

Runningbacks (Balanced/Featured):

1. Knile Davis / Arkansas / 6'0" - 220

2. Stepfan Taylor / Stanford / 5'11" - 210

3. Montee Ball / Wisconsin / 5'10" - 210

4. Zac Stacy / Vanderbilt / 5'9" - 208

5. Christine Michael / Texas A&M / 5'11" - 215

6. Dennis Johnson / Arkansas / 5'8" - 215

7. Cierre Wood / Notre Dame / 5'11" - 215

8. Cameron Marshall / Arizona St. / 5'11" - 215

9. Matthew Tucker / TCU / 6'1" - 223

10. Rex Burkhead / Nebraska / 5'11" - 210

11. Mike James / Miami / 5'11" - 222

12. Marcus Curry / Texas St. / 5'11" - 214

13. Mike Gillislee / Florida / 5'11" - 210

14. Latavius Murray / UCF / 6'2" - 225

Runningbacks (Power/Short-Yardage/Goaline):

1. Zach Line / SMU / 6'1" - 230 (FB)

2. Ronnie Wingo / Arkansas / 6'2" - 230 (FB)

3. Shawne Alston / West Virginia / 5'11" - 225

4. Lonnie Pryor / Florida St. / 6'0" - 230 (FB)

5. Richard Samuel / Georgia / 6'1" - 238

Runningbacks (Speed/Change-of-Pace/Scatbacks):

1. Kenjon Barner / Oregon / 5'11" - 195

2. Andre Ellington / Clemson / 5'10" - 190

3. Ray Graham / Pittsburgh / 5'9" - 195

4. Onterio McCalebb / Auburn / 5'10" - 175

5. D.J. Monroe / Texas / 5'9" - 175

6. Orwin Smith / Georgia Tech / 6'0" - 202

7. Dominique Whaley / Oklahoma / 5'10" - 197

8. Curtis McNeal / USC / 5'7" - 180

9. Perry Jones / Virginia / 5'8" - 185

10. Robbie Rouse / Fresno St. / 5'7" - 185

11. D.J. Harper / Boise St. / 5'9" - 200

12. Isi Sofele / California / 5'8" - 190

13. Johnathan Franklin / UCLA / 5'10" - 193

14. Kendial Lawrence / Missouri / 5'9" - 195

15. Chris Thompson / Florida St. / 5'8" - 187

RealDriscoll
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
The players That carry that "elite" tag for my money are Barkevious Mingo-DE (LSU), Robert Woods-WR (USC), Star Lotulelei-DT (Utah), and possibly Jarvis Jones-OLB (Georgia). Sam Montgomer-DE (LSU), Manti Te'o-LB (Notre Dame), and DJ Fluker-OT (Alabama) headline my overrated list.

The positions that I am big fan of when it comes to the draft board are Quarterback, Pass-Rushing Defensive End/Outside Linebacker, and Safety

The best draft eligible quarterback for my money is Logan Thomas out of Virginia Tech. I see a lot of Ben Roethlisberger in his game; Matt Barkley (USC) is everyone's darling and there is good reason but one thing that stands out is the caliber of receivers he has to throw to. Tyler Wilson (Arkansas) is a player that is absolutely fun to watch. He is an throwback gun-slinging quarterback and it will be interesting to see how he adapt after losing Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, and Joe Adams but the cubbard isn't bare with Cobi Hamilton and Chris Gragg still there. Tyler Bray (Tennessee) has the size and tools to be a successful NFL quarterback and weapons to throw to (Justin Hunter & Da'rick Rogers) but he needs some major developing. Landry Jones (Oklahoma) threw me off last year as he just has awfully slow feet which leads to poor decision making. I see an amazing athlete when I look at EJ Manuel (Florida State) but I don't see an NFL quarterback. Geno Smith (West Virginia) has gotten better every year and has the skill-set to be an effective quarterback. Here is how I see the position.....

Logan Thomas-Virginia Tech
Matt Barkley-USC
Tyler Wilson-Arkansas
Tyler Bray-Tennessee
Geno Smith-West Virginia
Landry Jones-Oklahoma
EJ Manuel-Florida State
Aaron Murray-Georgia
Brad Sorensen-Southern Utah
Mike Glennon-NC State
Zach Mettenberger-LSU
Casey Pachall-TCU
Sean Renfree-Duke
Alex Carder-Western Michigan
Matt Scott-Arizona
Jeff Tuel-Washington State
James Vandenberg-Iowa
MarQueis Gray-Minnesota
Jordan Rodgers-Vanderbilt
Collin Slein-Kansas State

In terms of pass rushers I feel the 2013 NFL draft is loaded. Barkevious Mingo (LSU) is my current man-crush as he plays with violent hands and is explosive off the snap. Mingo is relentless in his pursuit of the quarterback and has great closing speed which allows me to track his opponent down. Another guy I like a lot is Jackson Jeffcoat (Texas) as he needs to produce more but he has the tools that merit a top ten selection. The combination of Jeffcoat and Alex Okafor is going to be quite fun to watch.

Barkevious Mingo-LSU
Jackson Jeffcoat-Texas
Alex Okafor-Texas
Sam Montgomery-LSU
James Gayle-Virginia Tech
Bjoern Werner-Florida State
William Gholston-Michigan State
Dion Jordan-Oregon
Corey Lemonier-Auburn
Margus Hunt-SMU
John Simon-Ohio State
Michael Buchanon-Illinois
Devin Taylor-South Carolina
Craig Roh-Michigan
Wes Horton-USC
Brandon Jenkins-Florida State
Devon Kennard-USC
Travis Long-Washington State
Cameron Meredith-Nebraska
Brad Madison-Missouri

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
4-3 Outside Linebackers:

1. Jake Knott / Iowa St. / 6'2" - 245

2. Mike Taylor / Wisconsin / 6'2" - 230

3. Khaseem Greene / Rutgers / 6'1" - 230

4. Gerald Hodges / Penn St. / 6'2" - 235

5. Zaviar Gooden / Missouri / 6'2" - 230

6. Daren Bates / Auburn / 5'11" - 220

7. Sio Moore / UCONN / 6'1" - 230

8. Winston Fraser / FIU / 6'2" - 230

9. Sam Barrington / USF / 6'1" - 235

10. Kenny Tate / Maryland / 6'4" - 225

11. Travis Brown / Fresno St. / 6'2" - 235

12. Devonte Holloman / South Carolina / 6'2" - 230

13. Keith Pough / Howard / 6'2" - 235

14. Andrae Jacobs / Coastal Carolina / 5'11" - 235

15. Joseph Lebeau / Jackson St. / 6'0 - 245

16. Sean Porter / Texas A&M / 6'2" - 230

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Inside Linebacker:

1. Manti Te'o / Notre Dame / 6'2" - 255

2. Shayne Skov / Stanford / 6'3" - 245

3. A.J. Klein / Iowa St. / 6'1" - 240

4. Steve Beauharnais / Rutgers / 6'2" - 235

5. Alonzo Highsmith / Arkansas / 6'1" - 230

6. Demetrius Hartsfield / Maryland / 6'2" - 235

7. Jon Bostic / Florida / 6'1" - 243

8. Bruce Taylor / Virginia Tech / 6'2" - 240

9. Nico Johnson / Alabama / 6'3" - 245

10. Kevin Reddick / North Carolina / 6'3" - 240

11. Steve Greer / Virginia / 6'2" - 225

12. Kenny Demens / Michigan / 6'1" - 248

13. Arthur Brown / Kansas St. / 6'1" - 225

14. Jake Johnson / South Alabama / 6'1" - 232

15. Will Compton / Nebraska / 6'2" - 230

16. Cameron Lawrence / Mississippi St. / 6'3" - 230

17. Michael Mauti / Penn St. / 6'2" - 232

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Tight Ends:

1. Tyler Eifert / Notre Dame / 6'6" - 250

2. Chris Gragg / Arkansas / 6'3" - 235

3. Phillip Lutzenkirchen / Auburn / 6'5" - 250

4. Joe Fauria / UCLA / 6'7" - 255

5. Jake Stoneburner / Ohio St. / 6'5" - 245

6. Michael Williams / Alabama / 6'6" - 265

7. Matt Furstenburg / Maryland / 6'4" - 245

8. Ryan Griffin / UCONN / 6'5" - 250

9. Colter Phillips / Virginia / 6'6" - 245

10. Jack Doyle / Western Kentucky / 6'6" - 250

11. Justice Cunningham / South Carolina / 6'4" - 265

12. Ben Cotton / Nebraska / 6'5" - 255

13. Hubie Graham / Pittsburgh / 6'4" - 230

14. Chase Harper / Texas St. / 6'5" - 252

15. D.C. Jefferson / Rutgers / 6'6" - 250

16. Nick Kasa / Colorado / 6'6" - 260

17. Ryan Otten / San Jose St. / 6'6" - 245

ckparrothead
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I see you're also very high on the Iowa State pair. Showing some love for Joe Fauria as well.

ckparrothead
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Since this is a thread about seniors, here is a new video on Aaron Mellette, a receiver the Dolphins may like next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFXic98ZD4

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Safety:

1. Robert Lester / Alabama / 6'2" - 210

2. Bacarri Rambo / Georgia / 6'0" - 218

3. Kenny Vacarro / Texas / 6'1" - 215

4. Cody Davis / Texas Tech / 6'2" - 202

5. Dexter McCoil / Tulsa / 6'3" - 222

6. T.J. McDonald / USC / 6'3" - 205

7. Rashard Hall / Clemson / 6'1" - 210

8. Ray Ray Armstrong / Faulkner / 6'4" - 215

9. Shamarko Thomas / Syracuse / 5'10" - 208

10. Earl Wolff / N.C. State / 6'0" - 200

11. John Boyett / Oregon / 5'10" - 205

12. Prentiss Waggner / Tennessee / 6'2" - 185

13. Jarred Holley / Pittsburgh / 5'10" - 190

14. Kemal Ishmael / UCF / 5'11" - 211

15. Terence Garvin / West Virginia / 6'3" - 220

16. Rontez Miles / California (PA) / 6'0" - 200

17. Malcolm Bronson / McNeese St. / 5'11" - 190

18. Duron Harmon / Rutgers / 6'1" - 200

19. Shawn Williams / Georgia / 6'1" - 220

20. Javon Harris / Oklahoma / 5'11" - 207

21. Rod Woodson / UNA / 5'11" - 200

22. Jahleel Addae / Central Michigan / 5'11" - 200

23. Orhian Johnson / Ohio St. / 6'3" - 210

24. Duke Williams / Nevada / 6'1" - 200

25. Don Jones / Arkansas St. / 6'1" - 208

26. Drew Frey / Cincinnati / 6'3" - 212

27. Daimion Stafford / Nebraska / 6'1" - 205

28. Phillip Thomas / Fresno St. / 6'1" - 215

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I see you're also very high on the Iowa State pair.

No question about it. Both of 'em could start in the SEC. They're the main components that give Iowa St.'s defense an SEC quality which causes it to stand out in a land of no defense at all. That's a great pair of linebackers that are well coached by Coach Burnham.

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Cornerback:

1. Johnthan Banks / Mississippi St. / 6'2" - 185

2. Terry Hawthorne / Illinois / 6'0" - 190

3. Jordan Poyer / Oregon St. / 6'0" - 190

4. Micah Hyde / Iowa / 6'1" - 185

5. Broderick Brown / Oklahoma St. / 5'8" - 185

6. Rod Sweeting / Georgia Tech / 6'0" - 185

7. Desmond Trufant / Washington / 6'0" - 185

8. Demontre Hurst / Oklahoma / 5'10" - 180

9. T'Sharvan Bell / Auburn / 6'0" - 185

10. Corey Broomfield / Mississippi St. / 5'10" - 180

11. Blidi Wreh-Wilson / UCONN / 6'0" - 192

12. Chibuikem Okoro / Wake Forest / 6'0" - 190

13. Troy Stoudermire / Minnesota / 5'10" - 196

14. Greg Reid / Valdosta St. / 5'8" - 185

15. Johnny Adams / Michigan St. / 5'11" - 175

16. Nigel Malone / Kansas St. / 5'10" - 175

17. B.W. Webb / William & Mary / 5'11" - 180

18. Travis Howard / Ohio St. / 6'0" - 200

19. Marcus Williams / North Dakota St. / 5'10" - 190

20. Leon McFadden / San Diego St. / 5'10" - 190

21. D.J. Hayden / Houston / 6'0" - 192

22. Adrian Bushell / Louisville / 5'11" - 184

23. Darius Slay / Mississippi St. / 6'1" - 190

24. Robert Alford / Southeast Louisiana / 6'0" - 185

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
4-3 DE's/3-4 OLB's:

1. Chase Thomas / Stanford / 6'4" - 240

2. Alex Okafor / Texas / 6'4" - 260

3. Dion Jordan / Oregon / 6'6" - 240

4. Datone Jones / UCLA / 6'4" - 275

5. Devin Taylor / South Carolina / 6'6" - 260

6. John Simon / Ohio St. / 6'2" - 270

7. Walter Stewart / Cincinnati / 6'3" - 250

8. Cornellius Carradine / Florida St. / 6'5" - 265

9. Travis Long / Washington St. / 6'4" - 255

10. Cameron Meredith / Nebraska / 6'4" - 260

11. Cornelius Washington / Georgia / 6'3" - 270

12. Mallaciah Goodman / Clemson / 6'4" - 270

13. Brandon Jenkins / Florida St. / 6'3" - 265

14. Tenarius Wright / Arkansas / 6'2" - 252

15. Brad Madison / Missouri / 6'4" - 265

16. Toben Opurum / Kansas / 6'2" - 240

17. Michael Buchanan / Illinois / 6'5" - 240

18. Craig Roh / Michigan / 6'5" - 270

19. Wes Horton / USC / 6'5" - 265

20. Meshak Williams / Kansas St. / 6'2" - 245

21. Jamie Collins / Southern Miss / 6'4" - 235

22. Trevardo Williams / UCONN / 6'2" - 230

23. R.J. Washington / Oklahoma / 6'3" - 248

24. Quanterus Smith / Western Kentucky / 6'5" - 249

25. Lerentee McCray / Florida / 6'3" - 249

26. Lavar Edwards / LSU / 6'5" - 258

27. David Bass / Missouri Western St. / 6'5" - 275

28. Willie Jefferson / Stephen F. Austin / 6'6" - 234

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Defensive Tackle:

1. Star Lotulelei / Utah / 6'3" - 325

2. Sylvester Williams / North Carolina / 6'3" - 320

3. Joe Vellano / Maryland / 6'2" - 285

4. Kawann Short / Purdue / 6'3" - 315

5. Jesse Williams / Alabama / 6'4" - 325

6. John Jenkins / Georgia / 6'3" - 350

7. Brandon Williams / Missouri Southern St. / 6'2" - 330

8. Scott Vallone / Rutgers / 6'3" - 280

9. Baker Steinkuhler / Nebraska / 6'5" - 290

10. Everette Dawkins / Florida St. / 6'2" - 295

11. Jordan Hill / Penn St. / 6'1" - 300

12. Anthony Rashad White / Michigan St. / 6'2" - 315

13. Josh Boyd / Mississippi St. / 6'3" - 300

3-4 Defensive Ends:

1. Margus Hunt / SMU / 6'7" - 290

2. Damion Square / Alabama / 6'3" - 285

3. Izaan Cross / Georgia Tech / 6'4" - 292

4. A.J. Francis / Maryland / 6'4" - 295

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Quarterback:

1. Matt Barkley / USC / 6'2" - 220

2. Tyler Wilson / Arkansas / 6'2" - 225

3. Geno Smith / West Virginia / 6'3" - 215

4. Brad Sorensen / Southern Utah / 6'4" - 230

5. Zac Dysert / Miami (OH) / 6'3" - 215

6. Ryan Nassib / Syracuse / 6'2" - 230

7. Landry Jones / Oklahoma / 6'4" - 230

8. Mike Glennon / N.C. State / 6'5" - 230

9. Jordan Rodgers / Vanderbilt / 6'1" - 215

10. Alex Carder / Western Michigan / 6'2" - 225

11. E.J. Manuel / Florida St. / 6'5" - 240

12. Sean Renfree / Duke / 6'5" - 225

13. MarQueis Gray / Minnesota / 6'4" - 250

Not Listed: Will have to find a different position in the NFL. Both 'em are worth a shot.

Collin Klein - Kansas St.

Denard Robinson - Michigan

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Wide Receiver (Slot/Versatility):

1. Tavon Austin / West Virginia / 5'9" - 176

2. Ryan Swope / Texas A&M / 6'0" - 205

3. Roy Roundtree / Michigan / 6'0" - 178

4. Markus Wheaton / Oregon St. / 6'0" - 178

5. Russell Shepard / LSU / 6'1" - 185

6. Marquise Goodwin / Texas / 5'9" - 177

7. Chad Bumphis / Mississippi St. / 5'10" - 200

8. Darryl Surgent / UL-Lafayette / 6'0" - 195

9. Chip Reeves / Troy / 5'10" - 176

10. Theo Riddick / Notre Dame / 5'11" - 200

11. Frankie Hammond / Florida / 6'0" - 187

12. Zach Rogers / Tennessee / 6'0" - 172

13. Denard Robinson / Michigan / 6'0" - 195

ckparrothead
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Getting some new numbers come in on the QB measurements.

Matt Barkley - 6027, 228 lbs
Geno Smith - 6026, 208 lbs
Tyler Wilson - 6010, 210 lbs
E.J. Manuel - 6040, 233 lbs
Brad Sorenson - 6040, 237 lbs

The Tyler Wilson measurement is extremely interesting. I'd have never accused him of being tall, certainly no taller than Aaron Rodgers, but an inch shorter than Rodgers does surprise me. And Matt Barkley at a full 6'3" and 228 lbs is a good measurement for him. Not what I would have expected. I thought he would be a fraction under 6'2".

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Barkley always looked at least 6'2" to me. I'd be surprised if Tyler Wilson is under 6'2", although he never looked 6'3" to me like he's listed.

ckparrothead
07-05-2012, 04:05 PM
These measurements are supposedly verified as coming from the teams themselves during spring ball...so I'd take them as fairly reliable. They're not the program guide listings, at least.

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Wide Receivers:

1. Aaron Dobson / Marshall / 6'3" - 205

2. Aaron Mellete / Elon / 6'3" - 212

3. Tavarres King / Georgia / 6'1" - 192

4. Quinton Patton / Louisiana Tech / 6'2" - 195

5. Emory Blake / Auburn / 6'2" - 197

6. Marcus Davis / Virginia Tech / 6'4" - 225

7. Conner Vernon / Duke / 6'1" - 195

8. Cobi Hamilton / Arkansas / 6'2" - 210

9. Javone Lawson / UL-Lafayette / 6'1" - 185

10. Terrance Williams / Baylor / 6'3" - 190

11. Alec Lemon / Syracuse / 6'2" - 200

12. Rodney Smith / Florida St. / 6'4" - 216

13. Jheranie Boyd / North Carolina / 6'2" - 190

14. Dan Buckner / Arizona / 6'4" - 220

15. Keenan Davis / Iowa / 6'3" - 215

16. Mark Harrison / Rutgers / 6'3" - 230

17. Erik Highsmith / North Carolina / 6'3" - 190

18. Marcus Rucker / Memphis / 6'4" - 190

19. Matt Austin / Utah St. / 6'2" - 202

20. Tyrone Goard / Eastern Kentucky / 6'4" - 192

21. Michael Smith / UCONN / 6'0" - 201

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
We'll see. He could be 6'1" and some change I suppose... it's possible. I know he's tougher than any 6'5" 250 pound quarterback in the country.

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Offensive Guards:

1. Chance Warmack / Alabama / 6'3" - 320

2. Jonathan Cooper / North Carolina / 6'3" - 310

3. Larry Warford / Kentucky / 6'3" - 336

4. Adam Masters / UCONN / 6'4" - 292

5. Mark Jackson / Glenville St. / 6'5" - 335

6. Carson York / Oregon / 6'5" - 292

7. Theo Goins / UCF / 6'4" - 316

8. Omoregie Uzzi / Georgia Tech / 6'3" - 300

9. Braden Hansen / BYU / 6'6" - 313

10. Chris McDonald / Michigan St. / 6'5" - 300

Centers:

1. Barrett Jones / Alabama / 6'5" - 311

2. Khaled Holmes / USC / 6'4" - 310

3. Braxton Cave / Notre Dame / 6'3" - 303

4. Mario Benavides / Louisville / 6'4" - 300

5. T.J. Johnson / South Carolina / 6'5" - 316

6. Patrick Lewis / Texas A&M / 6'2" - 306

7. Graham Pocic / Illinois / 6'6" - 310

8. Joe Madsen / West Virginia / 6'4" - 301

9. Blaize Foltz / TCU / 6'4" - 310

10. Camden Wentz / N.C. State / 6'3" - 301

TedSlimmJr
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Offensive Tackles:

1. Ricky Wagner / Wisconsin / 6'6" - 320

2. Oday Aboushi / Virginia / 6'6" - 310

3. Dallas Thomas / Tennessee / 6'5" - 305 (guard)

4. Brennan Williams / North Carolina / 6'6" - 315

5. Jake Olson / Central Michigan / 6'7" - 300

6. R.J. Mattes / N.C. State / 6'6" - 305 (guard)

7. Jeff Nady / Nevada / 6'6" - 290

8. Tanner Hawkinson / Kansas / 6'6" - 295

9. Elvis Fisher / Missouri / 6'5" - 295

10. Mark Popek / South Florida / 6'7" - 296 (LG this year but looks like a tackle)

11. Foi Fonoti / Michigan St. / 6'4" - 300

12. John Wetzel / Boston College / 6'7" - 302

13. David Quessenberry / San Jose St. / 6'6" - 295 (looks like a guard)

14. Lance Taylor / Oklahoma St. / 6'3" - 310 (guard)

15. LaAdrian Waddle / Texas Tech / 6'6" - 330

16. Eric Fisher / Central Michigan / 6'8" - 305