PDA

View Full Version : Cone of Shame

BAMAPHIN 22
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
A cone-headed idea could cost a Florida teacher her job.Pasco County school officials caught Zephyrhills High teacher Laurie Bailey-Cutkomp using a cone-shaped dog collar dubbed “the cone of shame” to punish misbehaving students after some teens posted photos on Facebook last month.Parents saw the embarassing pics and complained, the Tampa Bay Times reported.Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-teacher-faces-firing-placing-cone-shame-students-article-1.1075703#ixzz1uUDdGAwr

Bobby Humphrey
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I think teachers need more tools for kids actting up and have never had a beef with any of my kids teachers before ...... but if any teacher put that on one of my kids i would be some serious pissed off. trouble would be in the air ............ beside its my job to humiliate my kids and mine alone ....... just like my parenter did to me. The only reason I had kids was for this reason ..........

The New Guy
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
She is letting the students watch Pixar movies in class on slow days..... How bad can she be? :lol:

SpurzN703
05-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the tactic but if you aren't a ****up, you won't need to put the cone on. Right?

GoonBoss
05-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I remember when the only "tool" the teachers needed was a paddle, or to send the
offender down to the VPs office.

But somehow, in those days, teachers did not seem so ****ed up as they are today.
We are only reaping what we have sewn. When you constantly tell little Jimmy that
he's special, and utilize every social conditioning tool to convince them that they are
world changers, don't be surprised when that **** starts backfiring on you.

It's all good and well when students tattle on their parents. Suddenly, it's a shock when
those same students start in with the school...And now....this.

I would have a very, very hard time maintaining my temper if a teacher did something like
what was mentioned here to my kid. It's not my kids fault they've lost control of the classroom.

Bumpus
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I remember when the only "tool" the teachers needed was a paddle, or to send the
offender down to the VPs office.

But somehow, in those days, teachers did not seem so ****ed up as they are today.
We are only reaping what we have sewn. When you constantly tell little Jimmy that
he's special, and utilize every social conditioning tool to convince them that they are
world changers, don't be surprised when that **** starts backfiring on you.

It's all good and well when students tattle on their parents. Suddenly, it's a shock when
those same students start in with the school...And now....this.

I would have a very, very hard time maintaining my temper if a teacher did something like
what was mentioned here to my kid. It's not my kids fault they've lost control of the classroom.

Are you talking about the school or the home?

GoonBoss
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Are you talking about the school or the home?

Classroom.

The classroom isn't the place for someone to tell my kids what's morally right and wrong, and that
the children are the adjudicators of right and wrong.

Bumpus
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Classroom.

The classroom isn't the place for someone to tell my kids what's morally right and wrong, and that
the children are the adjudicators of right and wrong.

I disagree.

Allow me to preface this by saying that, from what I know of you, you aren't the type to coddle your children.

However, you wouldn't believe the **** that goes on in public schools these days. Kids act like straight *******s - I call 'em on it - assign detention - call home to notify parents about said punishment. And half the time, I get blamed for "inventing" what their precious little darling did.

Children NEED to understand the difference between what's right & wrong. Many of 'em these days simply aren't learning these lessons at home. The sad part is, I probably spend as much time teaching morality as History. :bobdole:

Don't get me wrong, placing a dunce cap on a kid is reprehensible. For a teacher to actually do that ... Well, it makes the rest of us look like dicks.

I can, however, understand the frustration.

If more parents stepped up to the plate & took care of their job, we'd ALL be better off. As it stands, many kids these days have been raised with an enormous sense of entitlement. As in: "The world owes me whatever I want, & there are no consequences for my behavior."

Had I acted in this manner as a child, I'd have been tasting the back of my old man's hand. And, rightfully so!

I guess it's just a sign of the times. :idk:

****, all of a sudden I feel old. :lol:

GoonBoss
05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I disagree.

Allow me to preface this by saying that, from what I know of you, you aren't the type to coddle your children.

However, you wouldn't believe the **** that goes on in public schools these days. Kids act like straight *******s - I call 'em on it - assign detention - call home to notify parents about said punishment. And half the time, I get blamed for "inventing" what their precious little darling did.

Children NEED to understand the difference between what's right & wrong. Many of 'em these days simply aren't learning these lessons at home. The sad part is, I probably spend as much time teaching morality as History. :bobdole:

Don't get me wrong, placing a dunce cap on a kid is reprehensible. For a teacher to actually do that ... Well, it makes the rest of us look like dicks.

I can, however, understand the frustration.

If more parents stepped up to the plate & took care of their job, we'd ALL be better off. As it stands, many kids these days have been raised with an enormous sense of entitlement. As in: "The world owes me whatever I want, & there are no consequences for my behavior."

Had I acted in this manner as a child, I'd have been tasting the back of my old man's hand. And, rightfully so!

I guess it's just a sign of the times. :idk:

****, all of a sudden I feel old. :lol:

Fair enough. I'm not saying don't use all of the tools at your disposal, and part of the reason I'd feel outrage at
a teacher handling my child is that in the history of my three boys there has not been one lick of disciplinary issues.

I certainly agree that the sense of entitlement is unreal.

I see it on the public service ads on TV

-Can't talk to your kids about sex?
-Don't want to discuss computer use or texting?
-How do I handle cell phones?

Dumb****s. Here we go. Talk to kids about sex. Break it down step by step. It's not that hard.
Got an issue with computer use? Don't give them a computer. Our kids didn't get their own CPU
until they were seniors. Cell phones? I told my sons just like what I told them with cars; When
you get a job, and can afford a car, then you can get a car. Same with the phone. We got a third
cell phone for "family". If one of them is going somewhere, they take the family phone.

Raiseing kids is a challenge, but it's not that hard once you, and them, understand what time it is.

NY8123
05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
It isn't the kids and it isn't the teachers who are at fault, there is one glaring problem with parents of my generation, the X-generation, piss poor parenting.

My kid is failing a class, so the school should fix it.

My kid got cut from the team, it isn't fair everyone should get a trophy.

My kid talks back and doesn't know anything about respect, no one is showing him respect so what do want little Jonny to do?

Your kid disrupts class and always distracts the other kids, you should do more to challenge him/her or hire a better teacher don't you know it isn't my kids fault.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your kid is failing because you don't bother to interject and make them study, go ahead let them keep playing Xbox while your fat ass watches reality TV.

Your kid got cut because guess what, not everyone is cut out to play sports, encourage them to take up something else, every kid will find something they are good at.

No one shows your kid respect because he/she hasn't earned it and they are an *******. Teach them some manors.

Your kid acts out because you are too busy to be involved in their life to teach them and make them learn. Keep it up and then ask why someone else hasn't fixed YOUR kid.

Parent YOUR ****ing kids and we as a society will not have to fix the shortcomings you are passing on to them by your lethargic and procrastinating disassociation with your responsibility as a parent.

cdz12250
05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I was taught by Irish Christian Brothers. It was the early 60's. If you acted up you got the strap. Only hurt for a day or so. Nobody complained. Nobody sued.

NY8123
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
I had a Oak paddle with my initials on it. It didn't matter I came from a family with a huge but close extended family. All of my cousins were 5 to 10 years older then me. Used to play a game in my uncles basement, run from one concrete wall to the other while we throw balls at you, only problem is the balls weren't kickballs they were basketballs.

Sunday after church and church school was no better for me either, walking to my other uncles house. Seems back in the day Sunday was the only day WWWF was on (remember before it was even WWF). Well I didn't have a spring loaded ring with light padding, I had 1/4" of carpet pad and a cheap carpet to get DDT on or suplex off the back of a couch. It was fine though, taught me to be tough, never give up and keep pushing until I left an impression of my own. Made the paddle with my name on it pretty useless to, that was rather tame compared to the beating by my older cousins.

I don't think I was abused in one way, I like it. I wouldn't trade my youth for anything (I wish my dad wouldn't have had to bust his ass so much when he was young but now he is fine). Can you imagine if that happened now half the parents would call child services, people would sue. What a ****ing joke.

GoonBoss
05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
By the way, my middle son, Travis, is graduating Infantry OSUT at the end of the month.
He did what I said. He got a job...Hell...A career...He's got his own money now. He's gotten his
first four paychecks that are all his. His and his alone. No hand me down, no second hand bull****.
It's HIS money that HE earned learning how to be an Infantryman.

You know what he wrote me in his last letter?

"Is Devin's (Youngest brother) X Box still broken? When I get back I'll buy him him a new one."

Good young man.

cbreeden
05-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Totally agree with Goon, Bump et al. Back in the day, parents would have to go to school and ask, "what did my kid do?" In the PC society we have now its, "what have you done to my kid?" Don't mind parents defending their child but when it's obvious the "f"n, curtain-crawlin rugrat doesn't have enough 'home training' to know when to come in out of the rain it makes you wonder.

I grew up in a little town in south-central Virginia back in the '70s. When you acted the fool, teachers took care of it in class and you were deathly afraid they would call your parents because you knew it would be worse when you got home. Worst sound I ever heard was my old man's belt clearing the loops. So I never thought it was embarrasing to stand in the corner if I disrupted class. Saw others have to put their nose in a small circle on the chalk board or have dust-filled erasers flung at them with enough pace and accuracy to make them never want to act the fool again! That's the way it was. You accepted responsibility for what you did or failed to do because the entire system was that way. No sense of entitlement, no blatant disregard for right/wrong.

I raised my kids the same way I was raised. Never had discipline issues with them in school or at the house. They are mannered, educated (as well as a public education can give - no offense Bumpus!) and even though they are in their early/mid twenties I know they will eventually be successful.

Bumpus
05-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Totally agree with Goon, Bump et al. Back in the day, parents would have to go to school and ask, "what did my kid do?" In the PC society we have now its, "what have you done to my kid?" Don't mind parents defending their child but when it's obvious the "f"n, curtain-crawlin rugrat doesn't have enough 'home training' to know when to come in out of the rain it makes you wonder.

I grew up in a little town in south-central Virginia back in the '70s. When you acted the fool, teachers took care of it in class and you were deathly afraid they would call your parents because you knew it would be worse when you got home. Worst sound I ever heard was my old man's belt clearing the loops. So I never thought it was embarrasing to stand in the corner if I disrupted class. Saw others have to put their nose in a small circle on the chalk board or have dust-filled erasers flung at them with enough pace and accuracy to make them never want to act the fool again! That's the way it was. You accepted responsibility for what you did or failed to do because the entire system was that way. No sense of entitlement, no blatant disregard for right/wrong.

I raised my kids the same way I was raised. Never had discipline issues with them in school or at the house. They are mannered, educated (as well as a public education can give - no offense Bumpus!) and even though they are in their early/mid twenties I know they will eventually be successful.

This, this, a thousand times this.