PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Grace & Bill O'Reilly fans

rob19
05-12-2012, 06:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G00gexQ8Ic&feature=g-all-f

I had always figured this was their target demographic

rob19
05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Last month, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly stepped into instant Internet infamy when, in a debate (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/this-went-well-bill-oreilly-debates-legitimacy-of-religion-with-avowed-atheist/) with American Atheists president David Silverman, O’Reilly attempted to prove the existence of God by citing the mystery of the tides (http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/42957/bill-oreilly-stumped-by-tides-unexplainable-by-science/): “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion. Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.” Only one problem: There’s this thing called the Moon which might have a little to do with tides.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/12/boatsfloat-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/cinnamontoastcrunch-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/J3Pv7-1.jpg

Vaark
05-12-2012, 08:30 AM
They're both polarizing entertainers, like Rush and Olbermann, assigned agendas that pander to passions of their networks' or shows' advertisers' demographics. They're the equivalents of Skip Brainless. Once you realize that there's really nothing going on there, it becomes a lot easier to laugh at them and those clones they incite.. rather than taking them seriously.

rob19
05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
They're both polarizing entertainers, like Rush and Olbermann, assigned agendas that pander to passions of their networks' or shows' advertisers' demographics. They're the equivalents of Skip Brainless. Once you realize that there's really nothing going on there, it becomes a lot easier to laugh at them and those clones they incite.. rather than taking them seriously.

Absolutely

LANGER72
05-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Common Rob, you shouldn't be picking on the old toothless women...she obviously has enough to deal with.

LANGER72
05-12-2012, 10:49 AM

With the way that politics is being polarized by the political parties..especially the democrats, these guys are just filling an entertainment niche.
However, if I was to watch any of them, it would be O'Reilly. The others are Loons..

Tetragrammaton
05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
With the way that politics is being polarized by the political parties..especially the democrats.

Funniest post ever.

phins_4_ever
05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
With the way that politics is being polarized by the political parties..especially the democrats, these guys are just filling an entertainment niche.
However, if I was to watch any of them, it would be O'Reilly. The others are Loons..

:lol:

Locke
05-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Funniest post ever.

Seriously, a partisan post complaining about how everything is partisan? You can't make this stuff up...

Dolphins9954
05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
_j1-xQA_ufE

LANGER72
05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Seriously, a partisan post complaining about how everything is partisan? You can't make this stuff up...

Everyone here is guilty of the same...just sayin.

The world is flat, Tinkerbell, The View, and Rainbow unicorn party contingent obviously sees it differently...

Locke
05-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Everyone here is guilty of the same...just sayin.

The world is flat, Tinkerbell, The View, and Rainbow unicorn party contingent obviously sees it differently...

Having some personal bias and being partisan are two different things. Everyone is going to have their own personal slants, that's not the same thing as picking a side and refusing to acknowledge anything positive that comes from the other side, or two rip on the other side incessantly no matter what they do...

Tetragrammaton
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I just found it funny that you follow your complaint about polarization with saying something polarizing. I admire the disconnect.

CedarPhin
05-12-2012, 09:54 PM
GOP's probably the most partisan they've ever been. They won't compromise for **** with the Dems, because associating with them may leave them voted out in the primary.

Partisanship sucks.

LANGER72
05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I have voted democrat 3 times...Carter in 1980(thank god Reagan won), and Clinton twice.
Partisanship only sucks when you are wrong. The other side is just trying to wise you up.
The Obama administration is wrong on so many levels...the polarity is forcing me away.
Romney blows as a candidate, but Obama, Reid, Pelosi, and the rest are just an abomination.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I just found it funny that you follow your complaint about polarization with saying something polarizing. I admire the disconnect.

Oh..the hypocrisy..

Tetragrammaton
05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Oh..the hypocrisy..

You could have saved each of us a post by saying what you were going to say anyway.

LouPhinFan
05-13-2012, 12:06 AM
The few times I've watched O'Reilly I haven't really found him that bad, certainly not as bad as the other Fox News or MSNBC personalities. Of course I haven't seen an episode in probably 4 or 5 years, maybe he's changed.

I've never watched Nancy Grace. I did see her on that episode of Raising Hope though.

Locke
05-13-2012, 02:46 AM
The few times I've watched O'Reilly I haven't really found him that bad, certainly not as bad as the other Fox News or MSNBC personalities. Of course I haven't seen an episode in probably 4 or 5 years, maybe he's changed.

I've never watched Nancy Grace. I did see her on that episode of Raising Hope though.

I love that show. The dad is hilarious...

cdz12250
05-13-2012, 04:02 AM
If I were a trial judge on a case Nancy Grace is reporting, I'd drop a piano on the woman. Hard enough to pick a jury and keep trials fair as it is without her stupid circus.

LouPhinFan
05-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I love that show. The dad is hilarious...

It's definitely a pretty quirky little show. My wife likes it more than I do.

Tetragrammaton
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
If I were a trial judge on a case Nancy Grace is reporting, I'd drop a piano on the woman. Hard enough to pick a jury and keep trials fair as it is without her stupid circus.

The whole Duke lacrosse thing was her most loathsome moment.

LANGER72
05-13-2012, 10:42 AM
You could have saved each of us a post by saying what you were going to say anyway.

Do you actually have an opinion on something, or do you just collect coins in a can at the end of a leash?

jared81
05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
i dont watch nancy grace so i have no opinion of her. but it amazes me how a bunch of people who dont watch bill oreilly can form such a biased opinion of him. i watch his show quite often, and while i dont like him personally (he can be somewhat of a d bag at times), he is one of the fairest interviewers in the business. every night he has people from both sides of the political spectrum of his program. he always takes the opposite side of the person he is interviewing (unlike hannity, schultz, odonnell).

i know that he is probably a republican, but i think he is very fair and gives obama praise when he feels it is due, he always doesnt cite the partisan talking points.

Tetragrammaton
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
he is one of the fairest interviewers in the business. every night he has people from both sides of the political spectrum of his program.

The problem is that he helps maintain this "both sides" myth.

jared81
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
The problem is that he helps maintain this "both sides" myth.

Dont mean to be rude but, ironically you fit in the mold of left leaning and sometimes seem very intolerant of other points of view. Maybe if you hate the "both" sides myth, you should try having some right leaning stances.

LANGER72
05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
i dont watch nancy grace so i have no opinion of her. but it amazes me how a bunch of people who dont watch bill oreilly can form such a biased opinion of him. i watch his show quite often, and while i dont like him personally (he can be somewhat of a d bag at times), he is one of the fairest interviewers in the business. every night he has people from both sides of the political spectrum of his program. he always takes the opposite side of the person he is interviewing (unlike hannity, schultz, odonnell).

i know that he is probably a republican, but i think he is very fair and gives obama praise when he feels it is due, he always doesnt cite the partisan talking points.

Thanks for being objective. I like the show too and I watch it now and then, but I do not agree with him at times. He definitely tries to be fair and allows the liberal progressive point of view plenty of time without cutting them off. And he brings in very articulate guests on both sides to explain their positions.

Wow..my 4000th post!

Tetragrammaton
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Dont mean to be rude but, ironically you fit in the mold of left leaning and sometimes seem very intolerant of other points of view. Maybe if you hate the "both" sides myth, you should try having some right leaning stances.

Has nothing to do with me.

The myth of both sides is that it destroys intelligent discourse. Sometimes there is only one side to an issue, and sometimes there are dozens of different perspectives. It is because of a dumbed-down audience that everything has to be put in two competing boxes. You wouldn't ask for another point of view whether or not it is raining outside, and if you tried to break down all healthcare reform viewpoints into two categories, you would be doing a disservice to so many others. O'Reilly and anyone who talks about both sides is propagating the silence of competing opinions.

LANGER72
05-14-2012, 09:02 PM

The myth of both sides is that it destroys intelligent discourse. Sometimes there is only one side to an issue, and sometimes there are dozens of different perspectives. It is because of a dumbed-down audience that everything has to be put in two competing boxes. You wouldn't ask for another point of view whether or not it is raining outside, and if you tried to break down all healthcare reform viewpoints into two categories, you would be doing a disservice to so many others. O'Reilly and anyone who talks about both sides is propagating the silence of competing opinions.

You are talking about a 1 hour TV show. They are only grazing the surface of topics. How would you like to see the show improve?

Tetragrammaton
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
You are talking about a 1 hour TV show. They are only grazing the surface of topics. How would you like to see the show improve?

If the cable news collective went on live television and simultaneously performed seppuku on themselves, I would honor their legacy.

rob19
05-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks for being objective. I like the show too and I watch it now and then, but I do not agree with him at times. He definitely tries to be fair and allows the liberal progressive point of view plenty of time without cutting them off. And he brings in very articulate guests on both sides to explain their positions.

Wow..my 4000th post!

Every time you watch that show I want you to remind & think to yourself, "this guy doesn't know how the tides work.."

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/youreprovingmewrong1-1.jpg

grats on 4k!

rob19
05-15-2012, 06:30 AM
If the cable news collective went on live television and simultaneously performed seppuku on themselves, I would honor their legacy.

I love this sentence :hclap:

rob19
05-15-2012, 06:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZtaoWT96E&feature=related

LANGER72
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Every time you watch that show I want you to remind & think to yourself, "this guy doesn't know how the tides work.."

grats on 4k!

It is surprising that he would not know how to answer that question. I did not see the clip, so I take your word.
Any middle school student should know that answer. It doesn't change my opinion of the show.

LANGER72
05-15-2012, 10:44 AM

I would rather see the Guantanamo inmates eaten alive by hungry hogs on live TV or pay per view.
Watching the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei getting beheaded on television would be nice too.

rob19
05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
It is surprising that he would not know how to answer that question. I did not see the clip, so I take your word.
Any middle school student should know that answer. It doesn't change my opinion of the show.

fair enough

jared81
05-15-2012, 11:54 AM

grats on 4k!

since you are so enlightened on cable news journalism as well as atlantic tidal patterns, can you please name a host of any program who you feel is more objective than oreilly.

jared81
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM

the point i am trying to make is compared to the rest of the cable news field. oreilly is a cut above all the others. i am someone who prefers to hear different opinions. obviously that is very hard in todays media, if you watch msnbc you hear d bags like schultz, odonnell, mr maddow and chris matthews. on fox, its the fox and friends cast, hannity, glenn back and whoever else. bill oreilly is the ONLY one of cable news that tries to be objective. unfortunetly its only a one hour tv program so he has to present it as a "two sided arguement". i see your point, i understand there are many different views and we shouldnt be all lumped in to two different categories, unfortunetly, its not possible.

rob19
05-15-2012, 01:09 PM
since you are so enlightened on cable news journalism as well as atlantic tidal patterns, can you please name a host of any program who you feel is more objective than oreilly.

I don't watch any of those fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu9GfHCpVo

You act like cable news is the only place to keep up with politics.

jared81
05-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't watch any of those fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu9GfHCpVo

You act like cable news is the only place to keep up with politics.

there you go. then dont start a thread by posting a couple of youtube clips and act as if you know what his show is about. you call people "fools" that you know nothing about. i guarantee if you were on a television show for an hour a day i could find some unflattering situations in regards to you. you are doing the same thing you claim they are doing, i dont believe cable news is the only medium to get news (please show where i say that). my remark was, if you are going to watch cable news, oreilly is one of the only commentators that is objective. i would expect someone so well versed in oceananic currents to be able to understand that simple statement.

Tetragrammaton
05-15-2012, 01:54 PM
the point i am trying to make is compared to the rest of the cable news field. oreilly is a cut above all the others. i am someone who prefers to hear different opinions. obviously that is very hard in todays media, if you watch msnbc you hear d bags like schultz, odonnell, mr maddow and chris matthews. on fox, its the fox and friends cast, hannity, glenn back and whoever else. bill oreilly is the ONLY one of cable news that tries to be objective. unfortunetly its only a one hour tv program so he has to present it as a "two sided arguement". i see your point, i understand there are many different views and we shouldnt be all lumped in to two different categories, unfortunetly, its not possible.

If you are going to cite positives from FOX News, Shepard Smith is a much better place to go than O'Reilly.

You are the second person to point to the hour timeslot as a detriment. You and the guy who says I love Muslims say it is not enough time, but I would say it is too much time. 24 hour news cycles breed the negativity and uselessness. Democracy Now! has done some great things in half-hour segments. Jon Stewart even manages more content in half an hour.

rob19
05-15-2012, 02:19 PM
there you go. then dont start a thread by posting a couple of youtube clips and act as if you know what his show is about. you call people "fools" that you know nothing about. i guarantee if you were on a television show for an hour a day i could find some unflattering situations in regards to you. you are doing the same thing you claim they are doing, i dont believe cable news is the only medium to get news (please show where i say that). my remark was, if you are going to watch cable news, oreilly is one of the only commentators that is objective. i would expect someone so well versed in oceananic currents to be able to understand that simple statement.

I've seen enough of O'Reilly to know he's not for me. If you like him that's groovy, but don't act like I'm talking about your mom when I poke fun at the guy.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

If you are going to cite positives from FOX News, Shepard Smith is a much better place to go than O'Reilly.

You are the second person to point to the hour timeslot as a detriment. You and the guy who says I love Muslims say it is not enough time, but I would say it is too much time. 24 hour news cycles breed the negativity and uselessness. Democracy Now! has done some great things in half-hour segments. Jon Stewart even manages more content in half an hour.

Amen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo

jared81
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I've seen enough of O'Reilly to know he's not for me. If you like him that's groovy, but don't act like I'm talking about your mom when I poke fun at the guy.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Amen to this.

I don't "like" him. I said he was objective. I have a problem with people like you trying to take the moral high ground when you don't even know why you disagree with someone. I disagree with almost everything bill maher says, but I still watch him and laugh at his jokes. I would stick up for maher, just as I have done oreilly. Da weed is going to your head. I used to be that way too. It's much better to think clearly.

rob19
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't "like" him. I said he was objective. I have a problem with people like you trying to take the moral high ground when you don't even know why you disagree with someone. I disagree with almost everything bill maher says, but I still watch him and laugh at his jokes. I would stick up for maher, just as I have done oreilly. Da weed is going to your head. I used to be that way too. It's much better to think clearly.

Moral high ground? I don't know why I don't like him? What the **** are you talking about? The guy's an asshat, and all I'm doing is pointing out his asshatery.

Dolphins9954
05-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Amen to this.

Love that video.

jared81
05-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Moral high ground? I don't know why I don't like him? What the **** are you talking about? The guy's an asshat, and all I'm doing is pointing out his asshatery.

Awesome post man! He's an asshat because you pulled up a couple of YouTube clips.

GoonBoss
05-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Seems kinda low rent for you Rob.

If you are going to position as a quasi-intellectual, you should avoid posts like this in the future.

Valandui
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM

I love that insult. I need to use asshat more often.

rob19
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Seems kinda low rent for you Rob.

If you are going to position as a quasi-intellectual, you should avoid posts like this in the future.

:lol: "quasi".. I didn't quite make it to an Intellectual huh?

& I'm not trying to position myself as anything or come off any certain way like this is a persona or something, I'm just sharing my thoughts.

but seriously, how hard is this?
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/05/tides-1.gif

LANGER72
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM

& I'm not trying to position myself as anything or come off any certain way like this is a persona or something, I'm just sharing my thoughts.

What type of cheese is the moon made from?..lol

I enjoy your posts more than the partisan musings of the Political/Theological Einsteins on here.

LANGER72
05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
I love that insult. I need to use asshat more often.

ass-hat (from the Urban Dictionary)

1)one who retains ass-like qualities or pratices ass-hatery

2)a device used to compress or hold extreme amounts of feces in the caranium

GoonBoss
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM

I guess drugs don't expand your mind, really. They just accentuate who you are.

JamesBW43
05-17-2012, 11:38 AM

For me it's more of a question of, "how hard is it to use google?". I think the tides gaffe is less about O'reilly's intelligence (although I do think it is lacking somewhat) and more about the fact that he (and many like him) are so willing to talk out of their ass about things they know nothing about.

And that wouldn't bother me much if few people actually listened to guys like him, but there are a lot of people who are just so busy with work and family that they can't take the time to do any research of their own. They are dependent upon others for their information but when they tune in to guys like O'reilly, Hannity, or Shultz, they get anything but.

People talk about bias verses unbias alot, but I think a more important distinction is factual dialogue versus bull****.