PDA

View Full Version : Coach loses post after taking a team member to prom

BAMAPHIN 22
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
A popular Oregon volunteer track coach admits she made a mistake in going to the high school prom with a member of the team. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57440773/coach-loses-post-after-taking-team-member-to-prom/?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.0

NY8123
05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I would.

Vaark
05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
School overreacted - especially considering there was no intent to exchange bodily fluids.

PhinzN703
05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
School overreacted - especially considering there was no intent to exchange bodily fluids.

I don't think they overreacted. First off, I'd hit it. Secondly, with all the stories we see here in the Lounge and other places regarding teachers and their inappropriate relations with students, I think it's too great a risk to have done what they did.

She's 41 years old. Wouldn't it be extremely weird for her to have danced with the kid and hungout with him and his friends (aka her students)?

Tunaphish429
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
As long as his parents approved I dont see anything wrong with it....

If this kid was retarted or something like that then ppl would have thought it was "cute"

To me its kind of silly. If they had done this with no one knowing then to me it would have been a problem.

cbreeden
05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't think they overreacted. First off, I'd hit it. Secondly, with all the stories we see here in the Lounge and other places regarding teachers and their inappropriate relations with students, I think it's too great a risk to have done what they did.

She's 41 years old. Wouldn't it be extremely weird for her to have danced with the kid and hungout with him and his friends (aka her students)?

All the other stories we've read/posted have had some legitimate cause for concern. This?? Come on....

Bumpus
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd like to clarify that nowhere in this story is the woman refered to as being a teacher.

Volunteer track coach is the title that she's identified as having had ... not teacher.

PhinzN703
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
All the other stories we've read/posted have had some legitimate cause for concern. This?? Come on....

I think this story is what it is because of the other stories we've heard. It's akin to saying everyone in hoodies are hoodlums. It isn't true but once the precedent has been yet, it's over.

cbreeden
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I think this story is what it is because of the other stories we've heard. It's akin to saying everyone in hoodies are hoodlums. It isn't true but once the precedent has been yet, it's over.

Totally disagree. This is just another example of the politically correct society we have become. We are so afraid we are going to upset someone's feelings or sense of propriety we have left common sense behind. The coach was not a member of the administration/faculty as she was a volunteer and not on the payroll. WTF?!? Noone was hurt. Both families were cool with it yet she was reprimanded by the superintendant....and I'll tell you why: Penn St and Sandusky et al. The super wanted to appear is if he were leaning forward and being proactive instead of letting an innocent 'date' be just that. Smooth move exlax. You're a real hero.

PhinzN703
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Totally disagree. This is just another example of the politically correct society we have become. We are so afraid we are going to upset someone's feelings or sense of propriety we have left common sense behind. The coach was not a member of the administration/faculty as she was a volunteer and not on the payroll. WTF?!? Noone was hurt. Both families were cool with it yet she was reprimanded by the superintendant....and I'll tell you why: Penn St and Sandusky et al. The super wanted to appear is if he were leaning forward and being proactive instead of letting an innocent 'date' be just that. Smooth move exlax. You're a real hero.

So you disagree with me when the point I made is the same. How does that work?

cbreeden
05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
So you disagree with me when the point I made is the same. How does that work?

Didn't get that reading your post. My apologies if I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

PhinzN703
05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Didn't get that reading your post. My apologies if I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I'm saying that because of other incidents (in this case, lots of time we've seen stories posted in the lounge about female teachers banging their students) people assume that this 41 year old coach and the 17 year old kid shouldn't have gone to the prom together. It's stereotyping at its finest.

If the coach had gone to the school board and got them to agree to it, and if the kid's parents did the same, it should have been fine.