PDA

View Full Version : Moms & Cops against the War on Drugs

rob19
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Smart Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwXe8DvYWs&feature=g-all-a

16 states & D.C already have passed medical cannabis, Florida you need to get your **** together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPK6q-PSSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kda04Phzc54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf3CvpA0Wlw

cmax13
06-02-2012, 02:35 PM
in order to do something, we as pot smokers need to get off our collective asses and get out there and collect signatures to get the issue on november's ballot. when you see anyone in front of the movie theater collecting signatures, sign. when you see someone in front of publix, sign the form.

the best is register to vote, send emails and letters to your congressmen, senators, governor, locally, and your senators and congressmen nationally, and even send to the president of the usa.

encourage others to do the same. get on the normal, medical marijuana, leap websites (to name a few) and take some action. i've written my fair share of letters and i keep getting negative responses back. but at least my representatives know where i stand. plus, i keep writing more letters.

do your representatives know where you stand?

i think there's a sticky in the political forum with representatives emails, use it. that's what america s all about.

LANGER72
06-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I can understand the point they are making, that regulated mary jane will actually prevent kids from acquiring the stuff from the black market...and instead ultimately buying it from the state. The flaw in the argument is that it will not stop the kids from getting it from adult dealers(who buy it legally) in a new black market where they will have to pay more due to taxes and fees, and then sell it to the kids.
The only benefit is the money the state will receive from the sale. We could use the money to repair roads or to set aside more land for recreation.
Obama is correct about the public health issue. Inhaling smoke is bad for the human body.
Locking up folks for small amounts of mary jane is really a waste of money.

Tetragrammaton
06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
The flaw in the argument is that it will not stop the kids from getting it from adult dealers(who buy it legally) in a new black market where they will have to pay more due to taxes and fees, and then sell it to the kids.

Why would such a thing even exist? Why do you think it would when it doesn't for cigarettes or alcohol?

Clipse
06-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I can understand the point they are making, that regulated mary jane will actually prevent kids from acquiring the stuff from the black market...and instead ultimately buying it from the state. The flaw in the argument is that it will not stop the kids from getting it from adult dealers(who buy it legally) in a new black market where they will have to pay more due to taxes and fees, and then sell it to the kids.
The only benefit is the money the state will receive from the sale. We could use the money to repair roads or to set aside more land for recreation.
Obama is correct about the public health issue. Inhaling smoke is bad for the human body.
Locking up folks for small amounts of mary jane is really a waste of money.

And yet usage rates are down in the 13-19 age demographic in the only case of complete decriminalization in the western world (Portugal). The only flawed argument here is thinking it would be more expensive on the black market. That makes no sense. Drug dealers would go out of business quickly with that policy. There's a reason those blackmarkets don't exist with tobacco and alcohol.

Locking up folks for any non violent drug related issue whatsoever is a massive waste of money. It's cheaper, and much more effective to offer them free treatment. Putting drug addicts in prison does nothing to treat their drug problem. They get out, and go right back to drugs. Forcing people into treatment does nothing either. People who don't want to be off drugs, won't be forced into getting off drugs. People who do want to be drug free, treatment works for a large number of them. But treatment is so expensive in this country, it doesn't give drug addicts much of an option as the majority of them can't afford it.

rob19
06-02-2012, 05:20 PM
The flaw in the argument is that it will not stop the kids from getting it from adult dealers(who buy it legally) in a new black market where they will have to pay more due to taxes and fees, and then sell it to the kids.

Actually, you can get better quality weed in California from a medical dispensary right now for less money than you can in Miami. The artificial inflation of the worth of Marijuana is created by prohibition, you can put a heavy tax on it and it'll still not be worth as much as it was during prohibition. The same thing happened with the alcohol prohibition. You create an inflated market value for a substance by making it illegal, alcohol prices skyrocketed during prohibition, and not only was it a colossal failure in the sense that alcohol related poisonings went up 600% & people were in fact drinking more during prohibition than ever before, you also empowered an entire legion of criminals whom now had an easy source of revenue thanks to prohibition; see Al Capone. The only people you empower with a drug-war is the people who want to profit off of it.

So I think you're misguided in your reasoning. I'd recommend studying prohibitions throughout human history and you'll come to see that they've all been complete disasters. I'd also recommend reading Lao Tzu's, 'Tao Te Ching'.

-
The more prohibitions you have,
the less virtuous people will be.
The more weapons you have, the less secure people will be. The more subsidies you have,
the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says: I let go of the law, and people become honest.
I let go of economics, and people become prosperous. I let go of religion and people become serene.
I let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

If a country is governed with tolerance, the people are comfortable and honest.
If a country is governed with repression, the people are depressed and crafty.

When the will to power is in charge, the higher the ideals, the lower the results. Try to make people happy, and you lay the groundwork for misery. Try to make people moral, and you lay the groundwork for vice.

rob19
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

It's far less dangerous than cigarette and tobacco smoke, and those are legal.

You can also vaporize it and bake it, you don't necessarily have to smoke it.

CedarPhin
06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
THC prevents cancer and has shown to prevent Alzheimer's fairly well, as well as a host of other ailments. The "think of the children" argument is tired and absurd. By putting a sitgma on it and keeping it illegal, you're just encouraging kids to "break the rules". Marijuana should be decriminalized at the Federal level, and it should be left up to the individual states as to how they regulate it. Simple as that.

Why doesn't Florida have medical yet? All of the yokels (who likely smoke out of boredom) preventing it in the statehouse? It's pretty ironic that Florida demonizes something as innocent as Mary Warner, yet actively promotes the handouts of things that are more harmful and open to abuse, like Oxycodone. Hilarious, all because they're deemed to be "legal" by the FDA.

tylerdolphin
06-02-2012, 05:53 PM
THC prevents cancer and has shown to prevent Alzheimer's fairly well, as well as a host of other ailments. The "think of the children" argument is tired and absurd. By putting a sitgma on it and keeping it illegal, you're just encouraging kids to "break the rules". Marijuana should be decriminalized at the Federal level, and it should be left up to the individual states as to how they regulate it. Simple as that.

Why doesn't Florida have medical yet? All of the yokels (who likely smoke out of boredom) preventing it in the statehouse? It's pretty ironic that Florida demonizes something as innocent as Mary Warner, yet actively promotes the handouts of things that are more harmful and open to abuse, like Oxycodone. Hilarious, all because they're deemed to be "legal" by the FDA.

Its funny, when I first went to school in Florida I figured out where I could get oxy from before I knew where I could get weed from. Ive never bought either and never done oxy at all, but the point stands that its just as easy or easier to find a far more dangerous drug than weed.

cmax13
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
no truer words were ever spoken than the quotes, i assume, attributed to tao.

you see detroit is putting legalization up for a vote>

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/06/detroit-residents-may-soon-vote-on-legalizing-marijuana/1#.T8qYdlKfZ8E

CedarPhin
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
So are Colorado and Washington. I think Oregon too, but I'm not entirely sure.

Montana is too.

LANGER72
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I understand your points and I am probably wrong. You guys know more than me about the topic. I just think that kids will find a way to get the stuff. Having it legalized means it will be everywhere. I don't have any problem with adults doing what they want, I just think kids need to be kept free from drugs until they finish high school..They can make their lifestyle choices when they turn 18. Sorry if I sound old fashioned.

tylerdolphin
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I understand your points and I am probably wrong. You guys know more than me about the topic. I just think that kids will find a way to get the stuff. Having it legalized means it will be everywhere. I don't have any problem with adults doing what they want, I just think kids need to be kept free from drugs until they finish high school..They can make their lifestyle choices when they turn 18. Sorry if I sound old fashioned.

Thats the thing though...it being illegal isnt keeping kids off it. I knew where I could buy dope from when I was 13 or 14. By the time I was a junior in HS, I had multiple people in my class dealing. If it was legal it would have actually been slightly harder to get since youd need a fake ID or an older friend.

rob19
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM

I understand where you're coming from, but as Tyler mentioned, I had an easier time buying weed in Highschool than I did beer.

Some kids are always going to find a way to try something, but I'd rather the state be making money from it than the neighborhood dealers. At least the state will check for identification, as it stands right now as long as these kids have the money, I don't think the dealers really care how old they are. You're never going to have a perfect solution, but I think ending prohibition is the right move, and could (hopefully) be the start of some actual education about drugs in schools. The education concerning drugs at this point is archaic and inadequate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCcuW6cXwo

tylerdolphin
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
(hopefully) be the start of some actual education about drugs in schools. The education concerning drugs at this point is archaic and inadequate.

Thats another problem. What you hear in school and from speakers that talk about drugs is so ridiculous that nobody really believes anything they say. If they were honest about drugs and honestly told you how to handle weed responsibly, then when they tell you not to do blow and other bad stuff it might carry more weight.

Clipse
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Rob hit it on the head. I had an easier time finding pot and prescription pills in high school than I did beer.

phinfan3411
06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Thats the thing though...it being illegal isnt keeping kids off it. I knew where I could buy dope from when I was 13 or 14. By the time I was a junior in HS, I had multiple people in my class dealing. If it was legal it would have actually been slightly harder to get since youd need a fake ID or an older friend.

People need to understand this, what tyler has just written is 100% correct. I live in a good neighborhood, in a very good school district, heck, if you want to be technical, i live on an island. If you do not think drugs are all over our schools, and available to kids in much lower grades than most of us would care to admit, you are really fooling yourself.

When you really look at the war on drugs with an open mind you soon find out it has nothing to do with keeping the populace safe, but actually much more with money, and keeping 2-3 industries moving along (pharmaceutical, prison, law enforcement). Some are starting to see the light though now, even some law enforcement are calling for the end of prohibition (L.E.A.P.).

cmax13
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
which is why i educated my kids on sex, drinking, drugs, smoking, manners, etiquette, ethics, etc. i find the public school systems to be bad places for these types of curriculum. the reading, writing, arithmetic, no problems. although i taught my kids to read before they entered kindergarten.

but you get the picture. your kids will value the truth and not some bs spouted by unknowing individuals. take an interest in your kids lives, they will be better for it.

legalize all drugs, wrest control from gangs and cartels. rock the vote!