PDA

View Full Version : Producers of the Atlas Shrugged series are turning out to be pretty anti-capitalist.

Tetragrammaton
06-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Alleging breach of conflict, unjust enrichment, fraudulent misrepresentation and copyright infringement, the suit claimed that Relativity stiffed Atlas on a $750,000 license-fee payment and was likely to do so on a second payment. It also claimed that Netflix had violated Atlas' copyright by offering the film for rental.

I can't speak to the politics between Relativity and the producers, but the suit against Netflix for having the film for rental is quite funny. Netflix has everything for rental, and it is free and has been understood for years, both in the digital era and the days of Blockbuster. I guess they want to force people to buy a copy to see it, considering the huge financial losses.

The film, which starred Taylor Schilling, Grant Bowler and Edi Gathegi, grossed just over $4.6 million, with a production budget of $20 million, according to Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=atlasshrugged.htm). Despite the poor showing, a sequel, "Atlas Shrugged: Part 2 - Either - Or," is scheduled for release in October.

Now, as someone who follows film closely, I know that a film needs to double its budget in the gross to become profitable, because of the costs of distribution, marketing, as well as the take from the individual theaters. In these terms, the film likely brought them back just over ten percent of their original investment.

As we all know, in an Ayn Rand Objectivist world, the only way we should be judged is the output and success of our labor. Since the first film failed, why is there a sequel? It seems like the ideologically correct thing to do would be to either make a super-cheap sequel (which they won't; the producers have promised that the second film will be a half hour longer and have a bigger production and marketing budget; also, quite amazingly, the twenty million dollar first film looked far worse than many micro-budget films I have seen) or not make it at all. Quite bizarre.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/atlas-shrugged-15m-lawsuit-against-relativity-netflix-dropped-after-just-two-days-42451