PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson will be Libertarian nominee

rob19
06-09-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-5-2012/gary-johnson

Gary Johnson will now appear as the 3rd name on every election ballot.

I was going to write in Ron Paul, but this is a much better protest as he'll actually be on the ballot & it'll be easier for a greater number of people to vote for him.

I suggest people give some thought to voting for him, he'll clearly be the best candidate on the ballot.

Dolphins9954
06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-5-2012/gary-johnson

Gary Johnson will now appear as the 3rd name on every election ballot.

I was going to write in Ron Paul, but this is a much better protest as he'll actually be on the ballot & it'll be easier for a greater number of people to vote for him.

I suggest people give some thought to voting for him, he'll clearly be the best candidate on the ballot.

More than likely my vote. Ron Paul is my first choice but his campaign IMO really doesn't make any sense with trying to change the GOP. It's a losing cause that won't change anything. The GOP doesn't deserve to be saved. I wish he would just say F it and go 3rd party. Johnson is the best candidate on the ballot. But unfortunately most Americans are just to stupid or partisan to see it.

LANGER72
06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I like a lot of his positions, but cutting the federal budget 43% across the board sounds a bit extreme. I am more in favor of a cut between 10-20%.

I am not in favor of those 43% cuts to defense, again 10-20% for starters.

I also like the fair tax proposal and getting rid of the corporate taxes that kill business growth.

He could be a tea party candidate. Balancing the budget is crucial, but to try to dig us out in 4 years would be ludicrous.

All that said, he is not well known and his selection would be the greatest upset in political history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Gary_Johnson

irish fin fan
06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
I like a lot of his positions, but cutting the federal budget 43% across the board sounds a bit extreme. I am more in favor of a cut between 10-20%.

I am not in favor of those 43% cuts to defense, again 10-20% for starters.

I also like the fair tax proposal and getting rid of the corporate taxes that kill business growth.

He could be a tea party candidate. Balancing the budget is crucial, but to try to dig us out in 4 years would be ludicrous.

All that said, he is not well known and his selection would be the greatest upset in political history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Gary_Johnson

What would you cut to get that 20 to 30%. I agree that cuts need to be made but not until economic growth is stable again. In either case, in the future or now what would you target?

Tetragrammaton
06-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Pollsters that are less interesting than me are trying to make an issue about his candidacy in places like Arizona or Montana, where he could take away Romney votes. They tried to push the same scenario with Bob Barr in 2008 in Montana and Georgia, but the results were minimal: it made Montana more competitive, but that is it.

LANGER72
06-10-2012, 11:15 AM
What would you cut to get that 20 to 30%. I agree that cuts need to be made but not until economic growth is stable again. In either case, in the future or now what would you target?

Well...I said 10-20%..

It is difficult to say without a ledger of all government spending. All I can do is make some generalities.

Create a budget..and stick to it.

The practice of taking money from one area of the budget to fund other areas has to stop. Eliminate or reduce the general fund to a miniscule amount...like a petty cash drawer.

Earmarks have to stop.

The president should have line item veto power.

I would not cut medicare or social security..period. However, I would not be surprised to learn that fraud comprises 20% of the medicare system. After extensive review, and examination, the fraud can be reduced through increased penalty..including jail time. I believe it is widespread.
There are to many people dependent on those systems. The folks that have paid into the system deserve what they have paid for. Social security is the biggest ponzi scheme in world history..it eventually needs to have the money put back. Taking care of handicapped, and elderly is a good idea.

Obamacare should be repealed and eliminated. Tort reform to cap lawsuits, and the ability to purchase insurance from any state..or country for that matter. The free market will lower the prices. The only thing that is a concern to me is that protections need to be put into place for folks that preexisting conditions or acute health issues. The insurance companies have to provide insurance to everyone at reasonable cost. Very complicated issue. I am not sure how it could be done.

In the short term, we should remove all of our troops from areas of military activity, but maintain our bases around the world. Those police actions need to stop...for good. If we engage in war, win it, and get out. We also need to stop funding the production of all of these super expensive weapons systems...but keep funding the research and development for them. Quantity over high technology. Those new generations of manned stealth fighters and stealth navy ships need to be scaled way back. I think the air force should move toward cheaper unmanned stealth high performance military jets for the initial strikes in the conflicts. Without a pilot on board to become unconscious, the plane can actually be more effective in air to air combat in some instances...etc, etc. The manned aircraft can be brought in after the target has been neutralized. The surface stealth ships are a complete waste of money. Whomever came up with that one really brought home the bacon.

The IRS is a bloated, inaccurate system that has screwed people for years. Time to move to a flat consumption tax.

A review of all government regulatory and oversight agencies should be conducted. Most of them are probably unnecessary and can be eliminated.

The salary, benefit, and retirement system of Federal workers...including elected officials.. need to be reduced to private sector levels. The planes and cars need to be strictly limited to work related activity. No paid plane or car trips home or to visit family..that should be paid at their own expense.This is an area where some of the savings could be used to police the government itself...creating more savings.

I would restore funding to NASA. We must always have access to the high ground(space). It is all about the cutting edge technology, national prestige. and possibly the survival of our planet at some point..

I would increase the pay to our lower ranking service men so they do not have to support their families with food stamps in live in trailers.

I could go on and on...

Partisan much?

rob19
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm a little surprised you support the funding of NASA; I think you're spot on in that regard. Not only in looking for another suitable planet that we might be able to terraform, but also I think it's crucial that we do as much as possible to try and figure out more & more how the universe works. If we could somehow ever figure out how to navigate a wormhole, we might not only be able to cover impossible distances at an impossible rate, but we might also be able to navigate the fabric of space & time in a way that would dramatically alter the course of human history. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has been complaining for years that if we had a military advantage to gain we could be on Mars within 2 years.

I'm with you on a couple other things as well like decreased military spending & the IRS.

LANGER72
06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm a little surprised you support the funding of NASA; I think you're spot on in that regard. Not only in looking for another suitable planet that we might be able to terraform, but also I think it's crucial that we do as much as possible to try and figure out more & more how the universe works. If we could somehow ever figure out how to navigate a wormhole, we might not only be able to cover impossible distances at an impossible rate, but we might also be able to navigate the fabric of space & time in a way that would dramatically alter the course of human history. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has been complaining for years that if we had a military advantage to gain we could be on Mars within 2 years.

I'm with you on a couple other things as well like decreased military spending & the IRS.

I studied the sciences(astronomy, physics, chemistry, physiology, and geology among others) while in high school and college and it is an interest of mine still. It is a hobby when I feel like reading something too. I had subscriptions to Scientific American for years. They are still piled up in crates in my garage.
Let me tell you something. As an 8 year old boy, I watched the Apollo 11 launch while standing on my sidewalk in front of my childhood home. I watched the moon landings live on TV. That really makes an impression on you. The sense of nationalism too. Between NASA and Star Trek, my interest in the sciences was formed early.

Clipse
06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
The only guy on the ballot with a clue. He'll get my vote for sure.

Dolphins9954
06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/govgaryjohnson?feature=results_main

Sounds good to me. He would get a Paul boost if most went to him. Possibly get in the debates. Would love to see a true alternative to the Oromney machine.

Dolphins9954
06-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Polls have Johnson running around 7 to 8% nationally. Paul is running around 13% if he went 3rd party. Put those together and Johnson could get around 20%. Which would be more than enough to get him in the debates. Would make this election far more interesting with a candidate that can call out these frauds for what they are. Paul endorsing Johnson would be huge too.

Tetragrammaton
06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Polls have Johnson running around 7 to 8% nationally. Paul is running around 13% if he went 3rd party. Put those together and Johnson could get around 20%. Which would be more than enough to get him in the debates. Would make this election far more interesting with a candidate that can call out these frauds for what they are. Paul endorsing Johnson would be huge too.

Let him endorse Johnson. They won't beat Nader's three percent.

Dolphins9954
06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Let him endorse Johnson. They won't beat Nader's three percent.

Why if both together poll around 20%?

You underestimate the amount of people that can't stand both these parties and are willing to vote 3rd party.

Poll: Two-thirds would vote indie

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71718.html

Only 19% See Obama, Romney As Best Possible Presidential Candidates

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/may_2012/only_19_see_obama_romney_as_best_possible_presidential_candidates

Tetragrammaton
06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Why if both together poll around 20%?

You underestimate the amount of people that can't stand both these parties and are willing to vote 3rd party.

Poll: Two-thirds would vote indie

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71718.html

Only 19% See Obama, Romney As Best Possible Presidential Candidates

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/may_2012/only_19_see_obama_romney_as_best_possible_presidential_candidates

This is like when Ron Paul was polling first or second in very early primary polls. Everyone started to get excited, I said he would never win anything, and he didn't.

Look, the election is just heating up. We all live in a bubble; to most people, the election doesn't start until the conventions. People are going to pick the one they like better, and they aren't going to "waste" a vote on Paul.

Dolphins9954
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
This is like when Ron Paul was polling first or second in very early primary polls. Everyone started to get excited, I said he would never win anything, and he didn't.

Look, the election is just heating up. We all live in a bubble; to most people, the election doesn't start until the conventions. People are going to pick the one they like better, and they aren't going to "waste" a vote on Paul.

There were plenty of shenanigans in the GOP "vote counting results". I believe Paul won at least a couple states like Maine for one. The GOP went out of their way to do whatever they could to marginalize Paul. The media went along with it too when you compare how much time Paul got in the debates to talk. I'll give you a hint it was dramatically last. People are tired of the Dems and GOP. Sure most will vote for the lesser of 2 evils once again. But I refuse to vote for evil. You may consider that a waste. I consider that my conscience.

rob19
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM

I don't like that way of thinking, I think people should vote for whoever they like the most, regardless of the perceived chance they have at winning.

Tetragrammaton
06-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Sure most will vote for the lesser of 2 evils once again. But I refuse to vote for evil. You may consider that a waste. I consider that my conscience.

Hey, vote for whoever you want. Any single vote is irrelevant, whether it is for a major-party or a minor-party candidate. I am voting for a third party candidate this year. Just don't expect unrealistic results.

X-Pacolypse
06-11-2012, 12:47 AM
He's got my vote.

LANGER72
06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Every vote is important. Some will vote their conscience...I applaud them.