PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Police Cut Down Lady's Garden

rob19
06-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Morrison said she had a problem at her last property with code enforcement, so this time, she read the ordinance, which says plants can't be over 12-inches tall unless they're used for human consumption. She made sure everything she grew could be eaten, which she told the inspectors.

"Every word out of their mouth was, 'we don't care,'" Morrison said.

Morrison said she used many of the plants that were destroyed to treat her diabetes, high-blood pressure and arthritis.

"Not only are the plants my livelihood, they're my food and I was unemployed at the time and had no food left, no medicine left, and I didn't have insurance," Morrison said. "They took away my life and livelihood."

http://www.newson6.com/story/18802728/woman-sues-city-of-tulsa-for-cutting-down-her-edible-garden

That's good police work right there. Serving and Protecting the people at it's finest.

Bumpus
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I'll play devil's advocate here ...

I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess that her yard looked like a jungle. This isn't the first time her neighbors have had a problem with her.

Morrison finally went to court last week for the citation she got last August at another property. The garden portion of the citation was dismissed and she pleaded no contest to having an inoperable truck in her driveway.

In my mind's eye, I'm not seeing a case of an organized garden. I'm seeing a dense outcropping of haphazardly placed unruly vegetation that had taken over her yard. Not only is it an eyesore to her neighbors, but it's a potential urban health hazard. (cover & nesting site for vermin)

Remember, your rights as a citizen end at the exact point where they begin to encroach upon the rights of other citizens.

GoonBoss
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll play devil's advocate here ...

I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess that her yard looked like a jungle. This isn't the first time her neighbors have had a problem with her.

In my mind's eye, I'm not seeing a case of an organized garden. I'm seeing a dense outcropping of haphazardly placed unruly vegetation that had taken over her yard. Not only is it an eyesore to her neighbors, but it's a potential urban health hazard. (cover & nesting site for vermin)

Remember, your rights as a citizen end at the exact point where they begin to encroach upon the rights of other citizens.

That would be my take as well.

Though, if she is within code, she's within code.

CedarPhin
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Were they in her front or back yard?

rob19
06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
If you watch the video in the link, you can see her garden. It's upkept and roped off, it actually looks like a nice garden. Someone just wanted to be a **** and complain.

Noodle Arm
06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Women should always keep their lady gardens nice and trimmed.