PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with Privatized Prisons

rob19
06-21-2012, 01:07 AM
I somehow missed this a couple weeks ago, but the Corrections Corporation of America, the largest private prison company in the country (and thus, almost certainly, the world), is offering to buy (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/private-prisons-buying-state-prisons_n_1272143.html) state-run prisons and jails — as long as the states will promise to keep them 90% full.

As state governments wrestle with massive budget shortfalls, a Wall Street giant is offering a solution: cash in exchange for state property. Prisons, to be exact.
Corrections Corporation of America, the nation’s largest operator of for-profit prisons, has sent letters recently to 48 states offering to buy up their prisons as a remedy for “challenging corrections budgets.” In exchange, the company is asking for a 20-year management contract, plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full, according to a copy of the letter (http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/ccaletter.pdf) obtained by The Huffington Post.
I’m almost at a loss for words here. My typical go-to term would be “appalling,” but that seems too week. Asinine? How about dangerous and corrosive to society? This country already has a huge, huge problem — almost infinitely bigger than most Americans realize — with mass incarceration. We lock up a higher percentage of our citizens than any other nation in the world, and by a sizable margin. And most of those who are locked up have harmed no one but themselves (and often not even themselves).

As Michelle Alexander documents in exhaustive detail in her book The New Jim Crow, the result is hundreds of thousands of people every year being shut out of the mainstream of society for minor offenses like drug possession. Once they have that conviction on their record, they become instantly ineligible for everything from public housing assistance to pell grants. Their odds of finding a job shrink tremendously. It’s a perfect recipe for creating a permanent underclass.

Prison is Big Business. Food for thought.

rob19
06-21-2012, 06:09 AM
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2012/03/13/the-problem-of-private-prisons/

Dolphins9954
06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
jAJi-W9o7uU

rob19
06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
You guys realize there's a QUOTA on prisoners. They're OBLIGATED to keep them 90% full.

There should be some things that you're not allowed to profit off of. Human Life should be one of those things. ****in' Vampires.

"In stead of building more schools, they're building more prisons"

LANGER72
06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah...and the police don't have traffic ticket quotas either. It is all a business. All of us are on leashes, and some others get cages.

rob19
06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah...and the police don't have traffic ticket quotas either. It is all a business. All of us are on leashes, and some others get cages.

You seem okay with it. As long as it's not you or someone you know, right?

LANGER72
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
You seem okay with it. As long as it's not you or someone you know, right?

I was being sarcastic.... I am not OK with it.

WSE
06-21-2012, 07:14 PM
imo, government should not put people's constitutional rights in the hands of third parties....... and there are plenty of those involved with prisons.

Dolphins9954
06-21-2012, 07:22 PM
The War On Drugs is the pimp selling the hookers. Private prisons are only the by-product of this because the state is overloaded. If we changed our drug policies we wouldn't need private prisons or at least a lot less of them.

Dolphins9954
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
imo, government should not put people's constitutional rights in the hands of third parties....... and there are plenty of those involved with prisons.

The government already took away their constitutional rights by making laws and policies that take them away like the War On Drugs. The private prisons are only providing a service to help the already over-populated prisons that the state can't handle.

rob19
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I was being sarcastic.... I am not OK with it.

My bad Langer