PDA

View Full Version : two men sentenced to death for 3/4 ounce marijuana

dreday
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
A 19-year-old Syrian and a 21-year-old British man were sentenced to death in the United Arab Emirates on Monday for allegedly selling marijuana to an undercover policeman.

The Briton's mother collapsed outside Criminal Court in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., after the verdict was announced as the Syrian's mother tried to comfort her, telling her they could appeal the decision, reports Haneen Dajani at The National.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/

rob19
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
it's 2012 and were locking people in cages for plants

COphinphan89
06-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Hard to believe that there are countries in this world that are even further behind us when it comes to weed.

PHINATIC13
06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
...damn...that **** must be lethal....:tongue:

NY8123
06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
That **** is no joke here in Taiwan either, dealing and using illegal drugs carries the death penalty.

Rob would be SOL in less than a week hahahaaaa.

rob19
06-25-2012, 11:17 PM
That **** is no joke here in Taiwan either, dealing and using illegal drugs carries the death penalty.

Rob would be SOL in less than a week hahahaaaa.

Good thing their child sex slave-trade is still alive and kickin' or they'd REALLY have a hard time attracting tourists.

normaldude
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If you're going to visit a country, you should abide by their laws.

Jimi
06-26-2012, 02:48 AM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If you're going to visit a country, you should abide by their laws.

Agreed, but that should be the last thought that crosses your mind when you hear two barley adult boys are about to be killed because of a plant.

NY8123
06-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Good thing their child sex slave-trade is still alive and kickin' or they'd REALLY have a hard time attracting tourists.

The chicks from Thailand are the Mexicans of Taiwan, no ****. I know half of them or more are here against their will and the other half does whatever it takes to send money back home.

GoonBoss
06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
it's 2012 and were locking people in cages for plants

At least we're just locking them in cages.

The middle east is executing them.

Again; Our first world problems are miniscule in relation to the rest of the world.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Agreed, but that should be the last thought that crosses your mind when you hear two barley adult boys are about to be killed because of a plant.

Guess how they could have avoided that?

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Hard to believe that there are countries in this world that are even further behind us when it comes to weed.

There's tons of them.

Hey, think of it in terms of ethnic group relations; When's the last time a whole town was massacred here
in the US because of ethnic strife? Happens all the time in the Balkans and Africa.

Thumper1016
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Another story for locked up abroad.

cbreeden
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/

Gotta love Sharia Law!

There are Muslim countries that still have stoning squares and chopping blocks for public punishment and execution. Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Iran and parts of Afghanistan.

Clipse
06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Another story for locked up abroad.

Love that show..

PhinzN703
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Death is obviously a very extreme punishment for weed. It is illegal still as ghey as that is and I'm fine with people getting in trouble if caught with it but nothing as harsh as losing your life.

rob19
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Death is obviously a very extreme punishment for weed. It is illegal still as ghey as that is and I'm fine with people getting in trouble if caught with it but nothing as harsh as losing your life.

Still blows my mind that someone with a Lebowski avy is pro drug-war.

rob19
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so correct me if I'm wrong. You say it's gay that it's illegal, but are okay with people being punished for it? I don't know how you can have it both ways on this one.

rob19
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Guess how they could have avoided that?

If America made beer illegal would you stop drinking it? Say we reenact the prohibition starting tomorrow, are you giving up alcohol Goon?

PhinzN703
06-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Not going to get into politics with you here. You don't have to be into weed to enjoy a movie.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so correct me if I'm wrong. You say it's gay that it's illegal, but are okay with people being punished for it? I don't know how you can have it both ways on this one.

I think it should be legal. Seeing as how it is not legal right now and it's a crime to possess, sell, or use it, I'm fine with that (getting in trouble IF caught).

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

If America made beer illegal would you stop drinking it? Say we reenact the prohibition starting tomorrow, are you giving up alcohol Goon?

I know you were speaking to Goon about this but my reply would be yes. If prohibition occurs again, I'd stop boozing it up. No sense in getting ****ed by the law over something you don't need to do to survive (alcohol, pot, drugs).

rob19
06-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Not going to get into politics with you here. You don't have to be into weed to enjoy a movie.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I think it should be legal. Seeing as how it is not legal right now and it's a crime to possess, sell, or use it, I'm fine with that (getting in trouble IF caught).

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I know you were speaking to Goon about this but my reply would be yes. If prohibition occurs again, I'd stop boozing it up. No sense in getting ****ed by the law over something you don't need to do to survive (alcohol, pot, drugs).

Fair enough, I think your 3rd answer is critical to the coherency of your stance though. I think it'd be hypocritical to say "well, shouldn't be messin' with the stuff", when it's not your drug of choice, but turn around and cry outrage when does happen to be your drug of choice.

It does bring up an interesting philosophical problem though, that if everyone obeyed the law, would they're ever be any reform? America was after-all a country founded on civil disobedience.

normaldude
06-26-2012, 05:58 PM
America was after-all a country founded on civil disobedience.

1) Civil disobedience is for the locals, not for tourists. If someone wants to visit America, they should abide by American laws. Same goes for visitors of other countries.

2) The two men in the original article were not engaged in civil disobedience. It's not like they were doing some illegal public protest. They were selling drugs for money.

Let's say a guy from Spain is visiting Miami. Age of consent in Spain is 13, and age of consent in Florida is 18. He is caught having sex with a 13 yr old kid. Should we say "Oh, he was just engaging in civil disobedience, and we should provide leniency & understanding"? I don't think so. If you visit our country, you should abide by our laws.

rob19
06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
1) Civil disobedience is for the locals, not for tourists. If someone wants to visit America, they should abide by American laws. Same goes for visitors of other countries.

2) The two men in the original article were not engaged in civil disobedience. It's not like they were doing some illegal public protest. They were selling drugs for money.

Let's say a guy from Spain is visiting Miami. Age of consent in Spain is 13, and age of consent in Florida is 18. He is caught having sex with a 13 yr old kid. Should we say "Oh, he was just engaging in civil disobedience, and we should provide leniency & understanding"? I don't think so. If you visit our country, you should abide by our laws.

Rape =/= Selling Weed.

I'm not advocating anarchy, but there are laws that are unjust, silly, or archaic; just like the colonials thought that taxation without representation was unjust.

Now, I don't quite understand your stance on locals vs. tourists. It's not like their persecuting them 'harder' or more severe because they're tourists, that just happens to be the law, and they just so happen to be tourists. A native would get the same punishment. Just like an American 18 year old would be persecuted the same way an 18 year old Spaniard would be persecuted here in America.

Is this somehow more justified because they were tourists? Would this not be just as awful if it was locals?

My question though, is that it brings up an interesting philosophical, hypothetical, quandary, and that is if everyone obeyed a law that most didn't agree with, could there ever be reform? Is it a necessity that a certain percentage of the population disobey a certain law in order for the society to eventually progress for the better? Are these criminals selling weed analogously protesting tyranny in much the same way the drunken colonials throwing barrels of tea into the Boston Harbor were? It's an interesting thought.

normaldude
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Rape =/= Selling Weed.

In some countries, selling weed is considered a very serious crime.

I'm not advocating anarchy, but there are laws that are unjust, silly, or archaic; just like the colonials thought that taxation without representation was unjust.

Each country has its own values and laws. You are not the global arbiter of what is silly, or right vs wrong. If you think another country has "silly" laws that you can't abide by, then don't visit that country.

Now, I don't quite understand your stance on locals vs. tourists.

I'm addressing the absurd "civil disobedience" argument, in that "civil disobedience" has absolutely nothing to do with this case. This was not MLK marching down the street in public protest. This was someone visiting a country and selling drugs for money.

My question though, is that it brings up an interesting philosophical, hypothetical, quandary, and that is if everyone obeyed a law that most didn't agree with, could there ever be reform?

Sure. Most laws are changed by law abiding citizens. If the speed limit is 55mph, and I want it to be raised to 65mph, I don't need to break the law in "civil disobedience" to get the law changed.

rob19
06-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Sure. Most laws are changed by law abiding citizens. If the speed limit is 55mph, and I want it to be raised to 65mph, I don't need to break the law in "civil disobedience" to get the law changed.

Would the American Revolution have been better off asking nicely then? :lol:

No country has extended more rights to it's people than what the people themselves have demanded. I agree that in some smaller, trivial cases like increasing a speed limit that might work, but for the bigger, more important things, people have had to fight for it. American Revolution, Slavery, Women's suffrage, Civil rights movement, Gay rights, & drug user's rights, none of these was served well by going quietly into the night. I do think the idea has some merit to it.

normaldude
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Would the American Revolution have been better off asking nicely then?

If the citizens of UAE really want to legalize marijuana, then it's up to them to revolt and make marijuana legal.

Americans should determine American laws. UAE citizens should determine UAE laws. Whether it's through force or democracy.

When tourists visit America, they should abide by our laws, even if they think they're "silly". Same goes for any tourist who wants to visit UAE.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

PhinzN703
06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Fair enough, I think your 3rd answer is critical to the coherency of your stance though. I think it'd be hypocritical to say "well, shouldn't be messin' with the stuff", when it's not your drug of choice, but turn around and cry outrage when does happen to be your drug of choice.

It does bring up an interesting philosophical problem though, that if everyone obeyed the law, would they're ever be any reform? America was after-all a country founded on civil disobedience.

I didn't say you or anyone shouldn't mess with the stuff. All I'm saying is if one decides to deal something to others that's illegal, there might be consequences if you're caught. I don't look down on anyone who does pot. If you don't get caught doing it, more power to you.

It's a risk you take every single time you use it as long as it remains illegal.

rob19
06-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I didn't say you or anyone shouldn't mess with the stuff. All I'm saying is if one decides to deal something to others that's illegal, there might be consequences if you're caught. I don't look down on anyone who does pot. If you don't get caught doing it, more power to you.

It's a risk you take every single time you use it as long as it remains illegal.

I'm a pioneer on the frontier!

GoonBoss
06-27-2012, 05:16 AM

Guess how a death sentance is avoided?

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

Yup.

Does that help?

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

I'm a pioneer on the frontier!

Do what you want brother.

Accept what is coming to you if it comes to you without complaint.