PDA

View Full Version : Obama better suited to deal with Alien Invasion?

rob19
06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
65% of Americans believe Obama would handle an Alien invasion better than one Willard Mitt Romney

As the 2012 presidential election approaches, pundits are talking a whole lot of game about civil rights, the economy, and (big one coming up Thursday) healthcare. Meanwhile, the American people care about one issue and one issue only:Which candidate will protect us and our gold from aliens?
The definitive answer, according to a newNational Geographic poll: Barack Obama.

http://gawker.com/5921923/65-of-americans-think-obama-would-handle-an-alien-invasion-better-than-romney

suck on that, Willard!

rob19
06-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Mitt should offer Herman Cain the VP position to help win back the confidence of the American People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQv5sEVXyU

Tetragrammaton
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
If any other species develops enough technology to travel and land on our planet, we are at their whim anyway.

LANGER72
06-29-2012, 09:11 PM
If any other species develops enough technology to travel and land on our planet, we are at their whim anyway.

The aliens only concern would be whether they prefer white meat or dark meat with shots of Jägermeister

JamesBW43
06-29-2012, 09:24 PM
You guys are so wrong. Alien superintelligence would be no match for our earthly can do spunk.

rob19
06-30-2012, 12:52 AM
I actually like to think that if a species is advanced enough to be capable of intergalactic travel, that they'd have evolved beyond the need for violence and monkey aggression, or sadistic whimsies. I know that if you look on Earth, every species tries to dominate every other species, but I like to think that somewhere up the ladder that stops. I know that doesn't make for a good Tom Cruise movie though.

LANGER72
06-30-2012, 09:14 AM
I actually like to think that if a species is advanced enough to be capable of intergalactic travel, that they'd have evolved beyond the need for violence and monkey aggression, or sadistic whimsies. I know that if you look on Earth, every species tries to dominate every other species, but I like to think that somewhere up the ladder that stops. I know that doesn't make for a good Tom Cruise movie though.

I really don't think we would ever make contact with aliens, but we could find ourselves and earth's resources getting harvested by their intelligent machines. Given the distances between solar systems, this seems more plausible. They (aliens) might have evolved through technology and such things like collecting resources and food might be something that they no longer have to do themselves. We could be trying to communicate and/or plead with a programed artificial intelligence.
I don't need a tin hat, I don't think it will happen, but it is interesting conjecture.

Many planets have been found using our primitive devices and methods. We can find many planets that might be habitable. But as far as I know, we cannot detect life. Earth is a jewel in comparison to other worlds we have observed. Primitive life(animals) may be common, but intelligent life may be a rare commodity.

As far as Obama, he would probably make a deal with the aliens to save his family and selected members of government. He would play along and deceive the public into compliance. He is already proven himself to be a clever, manipulative liar.
A willing pawn in this hypothetical horror story scenario. In the end though, he will be on a aliens dinner plate with an apple in his mouth....in the twilight zone (insert twilight zone theme)

LANGER72
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM

I thought that the Tom Cruise - War of the Worlds sucked. A waste of a chance for a great remake, but as him cast in the leading role as a father trying to save his kids ruined the film IMHO. I did not like the perspective. The cast from the "Friends" or Jerry Seinfeld caught in the same story would have worked better...lol
The best acting in the Cruise version was probably the little girl. Also, they left out the part from the original where they dropped the A bomb. If they are making a modern day remake, they could have included some of the futuristic weapons that are being developed today to bring the movie current.

rob19
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I think it was Michio Kaku that stated that the theory that Aliens would have to come to Earth to harvest resources is an illogical premise because the elements on Earth (water, gold, diamonds, etc) are very common elements throughout the universe that travelling all the way to Earth would be highly unnecessary. The only unique thing about Earth is Humanity.

Anyway, I'm not sure why almost all people's version of Alien contact ends with us either being eaten, enslaved, or being harvested for highly highly common 'resources'. Again, I'm guessing it's because that's how pop-culture movies have always portrayed them, or I guess it could be a fundamental fear of the unknown.

Mitt Romney would never cut any deal with no stinkin' aliens though, right lang? :lol:

Funky Fin
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I honestly thought this thread dealt with illegal aliens not extraterrestrial bull****. Wow people, just wow.

Tetragrammaton
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
I honestly thought this thread dealt with illegal aliens not extraterrestrial bull****. Wow people, just wow.

Real aliens are far more threatening.

JamesBW43
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM

You thought "Alien Invasion" was referring to immigrants?

The Confessor
06-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I think it was Michio Kaku that stated that the theory that Aliens would have to come to Earth to harvest resources is an illogical premise because the elements on Earth (water, gold, diamonds, etc) are very common elements throughout the universe that travelling all the way to Earth would be highly unnecessary. The only unique thing about Earth is Humanity.

Anyway, I'm not sure why almost all people's version of Alien contact ends with us either being eaten, enslaved, or being harvested for highly highly common 'resources'. Again, I'm guessing it's because that's how pop-culture movies have always portrayed them, or I guess it could be a fundamental fear of the unknown.

Mitt Romney would never cut any deal with no stinkin' aliens though, right lang? :lol:

I understand what your saying....but can you put proof to the bolded part? Not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying I didn't think there was any evidence one way or the other.

As to the original thread, I have ZERO doubt that Obammer would be at the advantage. He would merely try to influence said alien to vote for him, and in return, we cater to their every needs.......... I mean...isn't that already going on anyways????

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

You thought "Alien Invasion" was referring to immigrants?

Have you ever been to Tucson...or even here in Dallas for that matter?

The invasion has been taking place for decades..

JamesBW43
06-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Have you ever been to Tucson...or even here in Dallas for that matter?

The invasion has been taking place for decades..

I've been in Miami. That said, I think the word invasion implies a malevolent intent. But I guess that's just me.

rob19
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I understand what your saying....but can you put proof to the bolded part? Not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying I didn't think there was any evidence one way or the other.

Well we know that we've found water on other planets in various forms whether that be liquid, solid, or gaseous. I mean, there's even frozen water on our own moon, & if I'm remembering correctly from my astronomy class we've also found water on one of Jupiter's moons. Hydrogen and Oxygen are two of the most abundant molecules in the cosmos, so it's not uncommon as maybe you think it is. As far as gold and things like that, the elements necessary for the creation of things like that are produced from the by the explosion of stars and are distributed throughout the galaxy. Anywhere that stars have exploded and scattered their enriched guts, there's going to be a rocky planet, or asteroid/comet belt near by with some of the similar elements we have on Earth. You wouldn't need to travel very far if all you're looking for is simple periodic element compounds, again I think the only unique quality to Earth is that it's the only intelligent life-harboring planet we know of yet.

Alright, here's the deal. I actually didn't want to include this one but since it's one of the most used reasons, I figured I had to at least address it. Point blank: it's retarded. Though I guess that's not enough to convince anybody, so I'll have to go more in-depth.

-sigh-

Okay, I'll be honest -- it's possible that an alien civilization might come to earth for its resources...

It just requires a bunch of assumptions about the aliens. Why? Well, let's think about it. What resources does the earth have? The first thing you might think of is water. Guess what -- water's not that rare in the universe (http://www.u24u.com/Original_paper/Read_the_Paper/the_paper.html). If you don't feel like reading the link, it basically explains that water is one of the most common molecules in the universe, probably due to the fact that both hydrogen and oxygen are fairly common. Even in our own solar system there are other sources of water.Europa (http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/32135/title/A_shifty_moon), one of the Galilean moons of Jupiter has a surface almost entirely composed of water that's estimated to be 100km thick. Naturally it's frozen -at least the surface is, though it's thought that there might be either a soft ice or a liquid layer under the frozen layer due to tidal motion - because of its distance from the sun. However, I find it difficult to accept that an alien civilization capable of making the voyage to our solar system would have an issue collecting frozen water. About the only valid reason they might come to earth for water is if they decide liquid water is easier to collect and they're sufficiently advanced that even with us as potential competitors the challenge we pose (hint: none) is less than the challenge posed by collecting frozen water.

Alright, since water's not all that likely, what other resources does the earth have? Not all that many actually. There's a reason we keep hearing rumors about people wanting to mine asteroids (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201328194/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=howtosuraliin-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0201328194)and comets. We've got (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition) Iron, oxygen, silicon, magnesium, sulfur, nickel, calcium, aluminum, and about 1.2% trace amounts of other elements. In space, there are asteroids composed of iron and nickel; we've gone over oxygen, silicon (http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/),is the 7th most abundant element in the universe,magnesium (http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/) (8th), sulfur (http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/) (10th) and aluminum (http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/) (14th). Calcium (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070206100539.htm) -once thought to be fairly rare- is now fairly common due to its appearance in the dust left from a supernova. With all of this in mind, it really doesn't make much sense to come to earth for any of these resources, especially since most of them don't actually appear alone in nature on earth but instead as a complex molecule or alloy.

Tetragrammaton
06-30-2012, 03:08 PM
For an alien invasion to occur, the aliens would have to be.

1. From a planet far outside our current research has explored.
2. If they were that far, they would have to either built incredibly fast ships or learned to put their beings in stasis.
3. They would have to have either a centralized government that funds science or a capitalist one where a private business sees a profit.

All reasons we would be in trouble.

rob19
06-30-2012, 03:28 PM
For an alien invasion to occur, the aliens would have to be.

1. From a planet far outside our current research has explored.
2. If they were that far, they would have to either built incredibly fast ships or learned to put their beings in stasis.
3. They would have to have either a centralized government that funds science or a capitalist one where a private business sees a profit.

All reasons we would be in trouble.

I think it's funny you assume highly evolved beings that are thousands of years beyond our monkey capability mirror us by using government, a system of monetary exchange, and capitalism. I think you're projecting on them a sort of quasi advanced nefarious shadow human civilization. Life on other planets might not even be carbon based dude.

Here's why I think Aliens are probably benevolent. If you look at (in my opinion), who are the most highly evolved humans, Jesus, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Ram Dass, Maharaj Ji, etc, etc, so forth and so on, all the so called enlightened beings, they're all peaceful, they're all loving, they're all benevolent. I think if we're evolving it's towards that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anoDJ6qspYE

rob19
06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't you think it'd be a discredit to beings that are capable of intergalactic space travel to have to find themselves in the predicament that they've managed to fudge things up so bad that they need to extract a fairly common compound from the poor earthlings, or can't feed themselves so they have to travel all the way to Earth to munch on Obama?

Tetragrammaton
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I think it's funny you assume highly evolved beings that are thousands of years beyond our monkey capability mirror us by using government, a system of monetary exchange, and capitalism. I think you're projecting on them a sort of quasi advanced nefarious shadow human civilization. Life on other planets might not even be carbon based dude.

Here's why I think Aliens are probably benevolent. If you look at (in my opinion), who are the most highly evolved humans, Jesus, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Ram Dass, Maharaj Ji, etc, etc, so forth and so on, all the so called enlightened beings, they're all peaceful, they're all loving, they're all benevolent. I think if we're evolving it's towards that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anoDJ6qspYE

Death and taxes, Rob. Death and taxes are forever.

According to Prometheus, Jesus was an alien. So you might be right.

LANGER72
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't you think it'd be a discredit to beings that are capable of intergalactic space travel to have to find themselves in the predicament that they've managed to fudge things up so bad that they need to extract a fairly common compound from the poor earthlings, or can't feed themselves so they have to travel all the way to Earth to munch on Obama?

My point was that their machines, traveling autonomously through the galaxy would stop here among other places. This planet would have a lot of things they are looking for. Lots of life, liquid water (to be separated as fuel), and an array of minerals and elements. In terms of supplies, Earth is a gas station and Wally World. If they traveled through our solar system, they would stop here. No doubt about it.
As you said, the hypothetical aliens may not be carbon based at all, and they may have different needs that we cannot comprehend.
Other than gathering resources, why would enlightened aliens want to befriend humans who are only great at making war, and squandering resources, and polluting the garden that they live in. They would avoid us unless they were coming here to conquer us IMHO.

Regarding the human aliens, sometimes having new people immigrating to new countries is a great thing. Especially if they look like Salma Hayek. If a million Salma Hayek's immigrated here, even illegally, no one would complain.

LANGER72
06-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I've been in Miami. That said, I think the word invasion implies a malevolent intent. But I guess that's just me.

I agree. Through out man's history, invasions have produced wars, disease, and suffering. One people invades another to take possession of their resources.
In almost every case, it is malevolent.

Regarding Miami, generally speaking, I have no need or desire to travel west of I-95 or the Intracoastal waterway.. Too much crime, poor ugly blighted neighborhoods, homeless and poor everywhere, and if you cannot speak Spanish, you are **** out of luck. It has been reduced to Ghetto living.
People get murdered sitting at traffic lights, stray bullets, no thanks.

rob19
06-30-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm not saying that it's not possible, I just think a civilization that advanced would be able to self sustain without needing to leach other planets resources. We have the same amount of water today on Earth as we did the day the atmosphere stabilized. Some of it's polluted currently, granted, due to our own fault, but like I said I think a species that advanced would be capable of self sustainment.

I also don't know they'd want to befriend us, unless as compassionate beings they want to help us progress, but I don't know that they'd want to conquer us either. I mean, what use would we be to them? Manuel labor? They can travel across the galaxy, I don't really know how much we could provide them, other than maybe in the case that they do happen to be sadistic and wish to kill/enslave us for merely whimsies sake.

I concur on your Hayek hypothesis.

LouPhinFan
07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I can't believe you guys are posting about this crap. All I can think about right now is TOM CRUISE AND KATIE HOLMES ARE GETTING A DIVORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now unsure that life is worth living...

The Confessor
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
I can't believe you guys are posting about this crap. All I can think about right now is TOM CRUISE AND KATIE HOLMES ARE GETTING A DIVORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now unsure that life is worth living...

Over/Under on how long till we find out that it was John Travolta that came (Literally) between them?

LANGER72
07-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Rumor on the web is that Tom like's to keep his tackle in his trousers. He has to keep his instrument purified.

LANGER72
07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not saying that it's not possible, I just think a civilization that advanced would be able to self sustain without needing to leach other planets resources. We have the same amount of water today on Earth as we did the day the atmosphere stabilized. Some of it's polluted currently, granted, due to our own fault, but like I said I think a species that advanced would be capable of self sustainment.

I also don't know they'd want to befriend us, unless as compassionate beings they want to help us progress, but I don't know that they'd want to conquer us either. I mean, what use would we be to them? Manuel labor? They can travel across the galaxy, I don't really know how much we could provide them, other than maybe in the case that they do happen to be sadistic and wish to kill/enslave us for merely whimsies sake.

I concur on your Hayek hypothesis.

Other civilizations may have curiosity and a desire to explore....they may not need the resources, but they also may not pass up opportunity.

There are some theories that the aliens(religious deities) have been improving our DNA(by splicing in their own) and mentoring humans(leaps in science) for thousands of years. If that hypothesis could be true, why all the attention? One theory is that life may be so diverse, that it is rare to find compatible other forms of life.

Dogbone34
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM
there is no evidence of space aliens on earth

rob19
07-01-2012, 08:06 PM
there is no evidence of space aliens on earth

Well, there could be a case made that Psilocybin mushrooms might be from outerspace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljy3TH1T0jk

rob19
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
what the mushroom says about itself is this: That it is an extraterrestrial organism, that spores can survive the conditions of interstellar space. They are deep, deep purple - the color that they would have to be to absorb the deep ultraviolet end of the spectrum. The casing of a spore is one of the hardest organic substances known. The electron density approaches that of a metal.

Is it possible that these mushrooms never evolved on earth? That is what the stropharia cubensis itself suggests. Global currents may form on the outside of the spore. The spores are very light and by brownian motion are capable of percolation to the edge of the planet's atmosphere. Then, through interaction with energetic particles, some small number could actually escape into space. Understand that this is an evolutionary strategy where only one in many billions of spores actually makes the transition between the stars - a biological strategy for radiating throughout the galaxy without a technology. Of course this happens over very long periods of time. But if you think that the galaxy is roughly 100,000 light-years from edge to edge, if something were moving only one one-hundredth the speed of light - now that's not a tremendous speed that presents problems to any advanced technology - it could cross the galaxy in one hundred million years. There's life on this planet 1.8 billion years old; that's eighteen times longer than one hundred million years. So, looking at the galaxy on those time scales, one sees that the percolation of spores between the stars is a perfectly viable strategy for biology. It might take millions of years, but it's the same principle by which plants migrate into a desert or across an ocean.

I couldn't figure out whether the mushroom is the alien or the mushroom is some kind of technological artifact allowing me to hear the alien when the alien is actually light-years aways, using some kind of Bell non-locality principle to communicate. The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?"

Interesting theory, to say the least

LANGER72
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Interesting theory, to say the least

Probably the offspring of panspermia.

rob19
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Probably the offspring of panspermia.

I was unfamiliar with that term, but yes, that is the general idea. I'm not saying all life arose in that way, but you could make a good argument that it was the case for psilocybin mushrooms.

LANGER72
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I was unfamiliar with that term, but yes, that is the general idea. I'm not saying all life arose in that way, but you could make a good argument that it was the case for psilocybin mushrooms.

The theory is that the building blocks of life(amino acids) and other primitive biologicals could have been seeded here through comets and asteroids during the violent beginnings of our solar system.