PDA

View Full Version : **Official 2013 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread**

footsteps_falco
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Every Texas A&M game i've gone back to watch Swope just makes play after play for Tannehill.... vs Arkansas, vs Oklahoma state, vs LSU, vs Northwestern.....

If you go back and just look out for #25 Swope the kid just gets it done. He's listed as a wideout? but he reminds me of a Danny Woodhead type with a little less speed but more toughness.

Who is the WR that wears #7? and the TE that wears #80... these guys make some pretty good catches too.

Fuller for me is love/hate in 4 games i've watched so far. Every other throw is a comeback or a post so I feel like I haven't seen him do too much more then that. Size wise I can't believe how big he looks next to dbacks.. especially in the arkansas game. But he seems to leave Tannehill out to dry a lot, some lack of concentration maybe? or just inconsistent hands maybe? He also doesn't give 100% on every play you can tell very quickly. Seems like a ton of potential though.... but yea

What year is Swope in? will he be declaring next year?

sinPHIN
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
swope will be one of the top wrs in next years daft. bad thing is is that he is a slot guy, and we dont have a need for that right now. but the guy is a player

LANGER72
05-06-2012, 10:05 PM
RT's new Swope is named Devone Bess.

Wildbill3
05-06-2012, 11:05 PM
i agree that 25 kept showing up in all the films/videos I saw. love to take him next year if it doesn't cost too much.

PSU Cane
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
RT's new Swope is named Devone Bess.

Yeah, but i think Swope will be a better pro than Bess.

allsilverdreams
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
looks like a guy with all heart and loads of talent.lets see how he does with a new coach and qb.perhaps he gets better or has a down year it will all depend on the new system brought in and how his role changes there at a&m

TheBow305
05-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Be prepard to have Swope mocked to us in every single draft next offseason. :lol:

TedSlimmJr
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm going to make one general thread for discussion on any/all prospects for the 2013 Draft. It's a lot easier for everyone to keep up with and makes for less clutter to sift through. A lot of information on these kids tends to get lost in the abyss due to too many threads. If a thread is created in the draft forum that I feel like belongs here (i.e. "what about player X"?, etc.) I'm going to merge it so you might as well just put it here to start with.

This will be a great thread for questions and/or discussion on the numerous draft eligible players for 2013 as we get ready for the season and throughout.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 12:04 AM
I'll start. If the Miami Dolphins can find a way to come out of the 2013 NFL Draft with DE Bjoern Werner of Florida State then I think they should do that and I *almost* don't even care what the price tag is.

I just love the guy and further I think he's the perfect end to pair up with Cameron Wake long term. Now that they have signed Wake to a long term contract, that only encourages me toward Werner all the more. Hit offenses with pass rushers like Werner, Wake, Vernon, Starks and Odrick, and you have the basis for building the kind of 4-3 defense that can fight against some of the passing attacks we're seeing in the NFL.

JCane
07-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Bacarri Rambo. Kevin Minter.

Discuss.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Bacarri Rambo. Kevin Minter.

Discuss.

Matt Elam. Potentially the best safety in the 2013 Draft if he came out.

JCane
07-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Matt Elam. Potentially the best safety in the 2013 Draft if he came out.

Where does Matt Elam project v. where we are projected to draft.

I know this is all a long ways away but it's always fun to speculate.

Matt Elam is a guy who will be high on everyone's board. Rambo is a guy you can get in the second or third round.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Where does Matt Elam project v. where we are projected to draft.

I know this is all a long ways away but it's always fun to speculate.

Matt Elam is a guy who will be high on everyone's board. Rambo is a guy you can get in the second or third round.

I was under the impression Matt Elam was still under the radar...but maybe not.

Way too far away to say who will be available where, IMO.

TedSlimmJr
07-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Elam is going to get knocked for his height (between 5'10" and 5'11") right off the bat. He doesn't have the ball hawking ability of an Earl Thomas (who was also coached by Muschamp at Texas) at that size, so he's not going to make up for it there. However, I really like Elam. He's a hard worker, a good kid, has leadership qualities, and dedicated to film study. He's a very assignment sound safety. He's got good hips, evident by how Muschamp will use him in the slot in man coverage. Basically, I have him as a 2nd rounder at this point, and the 3rd underclassman safety behind Eric Reid and Nickoe Whitley.

Bacarri Rambo is a higher risk type of kid due to off field issues, but the ability is there. He's got 13 INT's in 3 years, and returned 3 of 'em for TD's.

Kevin Minter is probably the best of what's been a weak linebacking unit for LSU, but he never stands out when I watch him. I think he's a mediocre prospect right now, but still has 2 years ahead of him to produce. Probably will need both.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Very possible that there could be two Florida State defensive ends in 2013 that I end up liking more than Brandon Jenkins. It's not that Jenkins is a bad player, I just question his ability to finish plays at the next level.

Bjoern Werner is top dog there, followed by Timmy Jernigan who won't even be eligible next year, but after that I do like Cornellius Carradine. So raw, not doing the right things at all, inconsistent off the snap, gets off balance, but he looks straight from central casting for a DE and he actually moves like one, more pure athleticism and quick twitch than Bjoern Werner.

NY8123
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
OK how about the topic I have asked about for the last three years:

Safety?

I see Walters top five consist of Tony Jefferson, Tyrann Mathieu, T.J McDonald, Eric Reid and Matt Elam.

Is it me or does this class seem thin at Safety like last years class? I'd be nice if Miami realized what a pro bowl safety would do for this D.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't know if it's thin or what. I like Matt Elam a bunch. I think he'll surprise people with interceptions when he works on his hands a little better. He's got undisciplined hands and that gets him penalties as well as dropped interceptions, but there's an instinctive ball hawk hiding in him. I don't think there's any way to say T.J. McDonald is a BAD prospect, he's sudden and explosive, but you do need to see more from him. I like Kenny Vaccaro. I think Tyrann Mathieu probably does move to safety at the next level. Not all these guys will come out but that's not a bad start to the position.

finsfanjay13
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Watched a lot of Werner last year and definitely like the guy. I'd be just fine with him. Also like Amerson a lot out of NC State (especially if they let Smith walk, and probably even if they don't). Do like a couple of the hyped up receivers like Keenan Allen. I like Marcus Lattimore too (if he bounces back from his injury), but probably wouldn't draft him unless the Dolphins were picking in the late teens - early twenties.

ckparrothead
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
If you want the underrated guys then among my favorite seniors would be:

QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah (really I just have a thirst to see more of him)
RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas
WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
DE Malliciah Goodman, Clemson
DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State
DT Cory Grissom, South Florida
LB Shayne Skov, Stanford
LB A.J. Klein, Iowa State
LB Jake Knott, Iowa State
LB Sam Barrington, South Florida
LB Kenny Tate, Maryland
CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
FS Vaughn Telemaque, Miami (FL)

Kind of a sparing list at the moment, to tell you the truth.

NY8123
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know if it's thin or what. I like Matt Elam a bunch. I think he'll surprise people with interceptions when he works on his hands a little better. He's got undisciplined hands and that gets him penalties as well as dropped interceptions, but there's an instinctive ball hawk hiding in him. I don't think there's any way to say T.J. McDonald is a BAD prospect, he's sudden and explosive, but you do need to see more from him. I like Kenny Vaccaro. I think Tyrann Mathieu probably does move to safety at the next level. Not all these guys will come out but that's not a bad start to the position.

When I looked at the list over at Walter the size concerned me with Tony Jefferson, Tyrann Mathieu and Matt Elam. Even if they bulk up (which they will) you cannot add height.

I got to watch a bit of McDonald last season and he impressed but my college football watching time was hammered by travel overseas. I haven't watch nearly the amount I would like. I hope it changes this season and as of now only my September looks bad. That being said he still needs a solid second season to back up last years performance in order to stay ahead of the LSU and Bama guys, you know Reid and Lester are going to get big time opportunities playing for those D's.

SF Dolphin Fan
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd say wide receiver, pass rusher and safety are the biggest needs and this is shaping up to be a nice draft for those positions. I'm really high on Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter at wide receiver. What are some of the better prospects there that make it to round 2? There seems to be a lot of pass rushers and I'll have to see more of these guys live to form opinions. I love the two linebackers on Stanford Chase Thomas and Shayne Skov. I think Miami needs to rebuild it's linebacking core as Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett and Cam Wake are all 30+. Jackson Jeffcoat is a pass rusher I like, but I need to see all the top rated guys. I'm excited to see Jonathan Banks at corner and Eric Reid at safety - two guys that are talked about as top 10 type prospects. I expect Miami to be picking top 10 this year and hopefully taking off in 2013 or 2014.

TedSlimmJr
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
The underclassman declaring are always the aspect that makes or breaks the strength of a particular draft. This particular group of underclassman safeties will make for an exceptionally strong safety class if the top 3 or 4 declare eligible. Reid, Whitley, Jefferson, and Elam were all outstanding as sophomores. They're on an entirely different level physically than you typically see out of sophomore safeties... specifically Nickoe Whitley.

Reid and Whitley are both explosive tacklers, but also fundamentally sound tacklers when they need to be. As I mentioned in my underclassman thread a few months ago when I started it, I don't think I've ever seen a more violent hitter than Nickoe Whitley at safety.... and I watched Kenny Easley and Ronnie Lott in college. Whitley's ability to explode into contact with precision exceeds anything I've seen. However, what makes Whitley and Reid both special young DB's is their combination of ball skills and range to compliment their ability to be explosive hitters. Their versatility to play either safety spot sets 'em apart.

Jefferson and Elam are more squatty safeties who overcome their lack of prototypical height for the position with instincts and football IQ. They both take proper angles to the ball and read their run/pass keys correctly instantly. Advanced fundamentally in their tackling to be so young.

Any one of these safeties declaring early is going to add tremendous talent and skill to the safety class in addition to their upside to keep getting even better. They'll help the Senior crop that's also strong at the top with Robert Lester. There's some kids mixed in with that Senior group that I feel like are a little overrated (T.J. McDonald) but it's offset by underrated prospects like Dexter McCoil.

It sets up to be a terrific draft for safeties, very strong. Again, the key though is the underclassman.

TedSlimmJr
07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Very possible that there could be two Florida State defensive ends in 2013 that I end up liking more than Brandon Jenkins. It's not that Jenkins is a bad player, I just question his ability to finish plays at the next level.

Bjoern Werner is top dog there, followed by Timmy Jernigan who won't even be eligible next year, but after that I do like Cornellius Carradine. So raw, not doing the right things at all, inconsistent off the snap, gets off balance, but he looks straight from central casting for a DE and he actually moves like one, more pure athleticism and quick twitch than Bjoern Werner.

Tim Jernigan is going to be a 1st round pick in about 3 years although I think he'll be a 3-technique. Saban recruited him hard but we couldn't close it out as he chose to stay in his home state. He reminds me of Bryant Young when he came out of Notre Dame.

I tried to tell you Carradine might be the best DE Florida St. has in terms of upside. He'd be starting for Ohio St. right now had he been academically eligible. The sack he had against Morgan Moses vs. Virginia was probably the best example of what he looks like when he puts it all together. I don't think there's a defensive line coach in the league that wouldn't be drooling to work with what Carradine brings naturally.

JCane
07-19-2012, 12:00 AM
No

Great stuff here.

Get this one a draft guru badge quick.

ckparrothead
07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
I believe you did mention Carradine being better than Bjoern Werner before. I had never taken a look at him. I can see why you like him. But nonetheless I can't rate Carradine above Werner. Strictly speaking, Jarvis Moss has more quick twitch and athleticism than J.J. Watt, and he also looks like he's straight out of central DE casting. But you'd take J.J. Watt any day of the week, twice on Sundays. I'm pretty comfortable rating Werner ahead of Carradine...by a good bit of distance.

TedSlimmJr
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Yes Werner is certainly better than Carradine right now, that's why Jimbo starts him and has Carradine back up at both ends. My point is that Carradine might be the best NFL prospect of the 3 in terms of raw ability and upside. He has some natural ability that the other two just don't have.

Carradine can be as good as any of 'em after receiving the coaching was my point. It was simply an observation I had while watching FSU rotate defensive lineman.

ckparrothead
07-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Best game I saw Carradine put together was Florida...really, really impressive game for him. Either way, I really think you were right as far as putting Cornellius Carradine above Brandon Jenkins.

ROADRUNNER
07-19-2012, 06:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=09U3Mn3P6eU

Yes i have a big man crush on the boy, hope we get a chance to pick him in 2013.......i know he's a big hitter but what else have you boy's got for me.

ckparrothead
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
For a long time I've liked Shayne Skov above Te'o. This may be assuming a lot with respect to Skov's injury and how well he's coming back from it, but I still do.

ROADRUNNER
07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
For a long time I've liked Shayne Skov above Te'o. This may be assuming a lot with respect to Skov's injury and how well he's coming back from it, but I still do.

I had a look at some highlights of Skov, and we should take both.................:up:

SF Dolphin Fan
07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
For a long time I've liked Shayne Skov above Te'o. This may be assuming a lot with respect to Skov's injury and how well he's coming back from it, but I still do.This could be an excellent draft for Miami to really tackle their problem areas. Best case scenario, at least from this far out, might be to get a good wr in free agency and then concentrate on pass rushers and rebuilding the linebacking corps. I know you probably don't want to stick a round on a prospect this early, but where about would Shayne Skov and Chase Thomas project? I like Thomas a lot. I think he has pass rush ability and versatility. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Karlos Dansby. He is a good player, but he really turned me off by coming into the season overweight last year. With his contract and supposed leadership status that should not happen.

ckparrothead
07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I think Karlos Dansby is about to play at a pretty high level for a while. The problem is we're paying for it. He's making a lot of damn money. But, those are the breaks I guess. I don't think we're going to be discussing ditching Karlos in a year, even with his big price tag.

And yeah, I thought it was total BS how he showed up 25+ lbs overweight a year ago and still collected the leadership award. I agree with you. But that's in the past. If he doesn't do it again, I'm fine.

I agree this Draft seems like one we can use to address problem areas but one problem area I think still needs addressing despite the 3rd round pick in Olivier Vernon is defensive end, and next year's class should be a banner year for that position. They really need to partake in that class and work on getting BIG, MEATY and EXPLOSIVE defensive ends that they can put on the field in any situation and beat people one-on-one.

I'm a big fan of Bjoern Werner, but I also love guys like James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Cornellius Carradine and Malliciah Goodman. Get one. Maybe get two. With the kind of defense the Dolphins are running, they need to revamp the unit and fill it with the type of 6'4" to 6'5" and 255-275 lbs guys that you see on the Giants. There will still be plenty of room for Cam Wake and Olivier Vernon.

Aside from that obviously they also need an influx of wide receiver talent. They may decide to address that issue in free agency with someone like Dwayne Bowe, but also maybe not.

SF Dolphin Fan
07-21-2012, 12:23 AM
I think Karlos Dansby is about to play at a pretty high level for a while. The problem is we're paying for it. He's making a lot of damn money. But, those are the breaks I guess. I don't think we're going to be discussing ditching Karlos in a year, even with his big price tag.

And yeah, I thought it was total BS how he showed up 25+ lbs overweight a year ago and still collected the leadership award. I agree with you. But that's in the past. If he doesn't do it again, I'm fine.

I agree this Draft seems like one we can use to address problem areas but one problem area I think still needs addressing despite the 3rd round pick in Olivier Vernon is defensive end, and next year's class should be a banner year for that position. They really need to partake in that class and work on getting BIG, MEATY and EXPLOSIVE defensive ends that they can put on the field in any situation and beat people one-on-one.

I'm a big fan of Bjoern Werner, but I also love guys like James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Cornellius Carradine and Malliciah Goodman. Get one. Maybe get two. With the kind of defense the Dolphins are running, they need to revamp the unit and fill it with the type of 6'4" to 6'5" and 255-275 lbs guys that you see on the Giants. There will still be plenty of room for Cam Wake and Olivier Vernon.

Aside from that obviously they also need an influx of wide receiver talent. They may decide to address that issue in free agency with someone like Dwayne Bowe, but also maybe not.Another guy who might fit that is Jeffcoat. I believe he's in the 6-4/6-5 250 range. Yeah, I'd be real excited if the Dolphins added two quality DE's early. The defense would have a chance to be special and we all know the only way to slow down Tom Brady and the Patriots is constant pressure coming from everywhere. I hope you are right about Dansby. On the field he is a good football player and I'd love to see him at his best this year and in the future. I'll be tuning in to see Werner.

MiamiDolphin618
07-21-2012, 12:52 AM
I hope Vernon shows well this year...but I agree on adding another DE or two. I would be looking for an impact DE in the 1st or 2nd, and then maybe another in the 4th or so. Count me on the Mingo bandwagon at this point. Obviously this next year will tell a lot, but Mingo is just electric. He doesn't have ideal strength yet, but he can work on that. He could easily be a 3rd down rusher to start, which would allow someone like Vernon to slide inside on 3rd down where he and Odrick could create a pretty impressive interior rush IMO..along with Starks in the rotation if he is still around. We could also be in the market for a starting CB depending on how Smith plays this year and what kind of money he wants.

ckparrothead
07-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Another guy who might fit that is Jeffcoat. I believe he's in the 6-4/6-5 250 range. Yeah, I'd be real excited if the Dolphins added two quality DE's early. The defense would have a chance to be special and we all know the only way to slow down Tom Brady and the Patriots is constant pressure coming from everywhere. I hope you are right about Dansby. On the field he is a good football player and I'd love to see him at his best this year and in the future. I'll be tuning in to see Werner.

I dislike Jeffcoat. He's just not very effective right now.

ckparrothead
07-21-2012, 02:22 AM
I hope Vernon shows well this year...but I agree on adding another DE or two. I would be looking for an impact DE in the 1st or 2nd, and then maybe another in the 4th or so. Count me on the Mingo bandwagon at this point. Obviously this next year will tell a lot, but Mingo is just electric. He doesn't have ideal strength yet, but he can work on that. He could easily be a 3rd down rusher to start, which would allow someone like Vernon to slide inside on 3rd down where he and Odrick could create a pretty impressive interior rush IMO..along with Starks in the rotation if he is still around. We could also be in the market for a starting CB depending on how Smith plays this year and what kind of money he wants.

I just don't know if from a structure standpoint having Mingo and Wake as the bookends is how I want to organize things. That's like having Mathis and Freeney and while they rushed the hell out of the passer, that was a very specialized defense and I'm not sure Kevin Coyle will be running something that could sustain having those two as the bookends.

I'd rather start populating the DL with some big, lengthy and explosive pass rushers...guys like I just named, Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Cornellius Carradine, James Gayle, maybe Malliciah Goodman.

NY8123
07-21-2012, 11:42 AM

The underclassman declaring are always the aspect that makes or breaks the strength of a particular draft. This particular group of underclassman safeties will make for an exceptionally strong safety class if the top 3 or 4 declare eligible. Reid, Whitley, Jefferson, and Elam were all outstanding as sophomores. They're on an entirely different level physically than you typically see out of sophomore safeties... specifically Nickoe Whitley.

Reid and Whitley are both explosive tacklers, but also fundamentally sound tacklers when they need to be. As I mentioned in my underclassman thread a few months ago when I started it, I don't think I've ever seen a more violent hitter than Nickoe Whitley at safety.... and I watched Kenny Easley and Ronnie Lott in college. Whitley's ability to explode into contact with precision exceeds anything I've seen. However, what makes Whitley and Reid both special young DB's is their combination of ball skills and range to compliment their ability to be explosive hitters. Their versatility to play either safety spot sets 'em apart.

Jefferson and Elam are more squatty safeties who overcome their lack of prototypical height for the position with instincts and football IQ. They both take proper angles to the ball and read their run/pass keys correctly instantly. Advanced fundamentally in their tackling to be so young.

Any one of these safeties declaring early is going to add tremendous talent and skill to the safety class in addition to their upside to keep getting even better. They'll help the Senior crop that's also strong at the top with Robert Lester. There's some kids mixed in with that Senior group that I feel like are a little overrated (T.J. McDonald) but it's offset by underrated prospects like Dexter McCoil.

It sets up to be a terrific draft for safeties, very strong. Again, the key though is the underclassman.

I can only hope that this scenario transpires comes next winter and spring. This safety quagmire that Miami seems to be tangled in needs to be fixed. I guess I don't have high hopes for both safety positions this season given the roster and talent level. Jones and Clemons have their shortcomings and the rest of the safeties on the roster....well what can I say, they are lease than inspiring barring some colossal break through.

So with that said I would be happy as a pig in **** if Miami used a higher round pick next offseason on a high potential safety. So let me ask who off those lists are earmarked for round 1, 2 etc...my travel plans seem to be changing as I type so now my November is likely to be shot but at least I get to see College and the NFL seasons kick off. I'll take it!

MiamiDolphin618
07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I just don't know if from a structure standpoint having Mingo and Wake as the bookends is how I want to organize things. That's like having Mathis and Freeney and while they rushed the hell out of the passer, that was a very specialized defense and I'm not sure Kevin Coyle will be running something that could sustain having those two as the bookends.

I'd rather start populating the DL with some big, lengthy and explosive pass rushers...guys like I just named, Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Cornellius Carradine, James Gayle, maybe Malliciah Goodman.
I would be thrilled with some of those guys you mentioned. I just see rare explosion out of Mingo. I agree it would be a little light in the pants as bookends...but that could be an elite pass rush. And the Colts never had a DT worth anything, Big Paul, Starks, Odrick, and a solid LB core could ease the weakness as far as being ran all over. Also, do you think Mingo could play a similar role to how Von Miller played this year? He seems like he is fluid enough to play some OLB yet still rush the passer and drop down to DE on 3rd down, etc.

Don't get me wrong though, if we walk away with a guy like Gayle or Werner I will not be upset at all.

SF Dolphin Fan
07-22-2012, 11:19 AM
I would be thrilled with some of those guys you mentioned. I just see rare explosion out of Mingo. I agree it would be a little light in the pants as bookends...but that could be an elite pass rush. And the Colts never had a DT worth anything, Big Paul, Starks, Odrick, and a solid LB core could ease the weakness as far as being ran all over. Also, do you think Mingo could play a similar role to how Von Miller played this year? He seems like he is fluid enough to play some OLB yet still rush the passer and drop down to DE on 3rd down, etc.

Don't get me wrong though, if we walk away with a guy like Gayle or Werner I will not be upset at all.I like Mingo as well, especially considering that Wake isn't a young pup. Mingo is probably the best pure pass rusher in this draft. Saying that, I definitely understand why CK loves Werner. I've checked out his highlights and he has a nice first step and is a bigger guy who can defend the run. I need to see him live to get more of a feel.

SF Dolphin Fan
07-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Elam is going to get knocked for his height (between 5'10" and 5'11") right off the bat. He doesn't have the ball hawking ability of an Earl Thomas (who was also coached by Muschamp at Texas) at that size, so he's not going to make up for it there. However, I really like Elam. He's a hard worker, a good kid, has leadership qualities, and dedicated to film study. He's a very assignment sound safety. He's got good hips, evident by how Muschamp will use him in the slot in man coverage. Basically, I have him as a 2nd rounder at this point, and the 3rd underclassman safety behind Eric Reid and Nickoe Whitley.

Bacarri Rambo is a higher risk type of kid due to off field issues, but the ability is there. He's got 13 INT's in 3 years, and returned 3 of 'em for TD's.

Kevin Minter is probably the best of what's been a weak linebacking unit for LSU, but he never stands out when I watch him. I think he's a mediocre prospect right now, but still has 2 years ahead of him to produce. Probably will need both.I liked the video highlights you posted of Whitley. He is definitely someone I will watch closely this coming season. Do you see him right now as a 1st rounder?

SF Dolphin Fan
07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
If you want the underrated guys then among my favorite seniors would be:

QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah (really I just have a thirst to see more of him)
RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas
WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
DE Malliciah Goodman, Clemson
DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State
DT Cory Grissom, South Florida
LB Shayne Skov, Stanford
LB A.J. Klein, Iowa State
LB Jake Knott, Iowa State
LB Sam Barrington, South Florida
LB Kenny Tate, Maryland
CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
FS Vaughn Telemaque, Miami (FL)

Kind of a sparing list at the moment, to tell you the truth.It might not be a bad idea for Miami to take a mid-round quarterback with both Matt Moore and David Garrard on one-year contracts. Maybe Brad Sorensen could be that guy. Plus, as much as I love Ryan Tannehill, there's no guarantee that he's the guy. I don't know a lot of guys on that list, to be honest, but I like Shayne Skov.

TedSlimmJr
07-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Much like David Pollack used to coming out of Georgia... Werner plays with his head up, and plays so well with his eyes. He sees everything.... and has the ability to get there.

He's nowhere near as dominant yet as Pollack was, but the point is they have similar qualities and use a lot of the same techniques.

hooshoops
07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
i'm definitely big on mingo...imo in the national championship game he was the best player at the los period...some serious tools there...definitely needs to get stronger but think about packing another 15-20 lbs on that frame which it looks to me like he'll carry very well and you might have yourself a monster end...i'm not ready to say that he's a stand up player only as a pro...i see a lot of jpp potential there...on upside and tools i'd be jumping on him

TedSlimmJr
07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Three points regarding 3 quarterback prospects, a Senior and two underclassman....

1.) I like toughness in a quarterback. If you wont hang tough in the pocket and deliver the football when things aren't going well up front along your offensive line... I don't have time for you. Tyler Wilson sold me on his toughness when he was getting absolutely destroyed versus Bama last year. A lot of quarterbacks would've wilted in that situation, or been knocked out of the game. I've seen Bama's defense do it too many times.... but Wilson hung in there with nothing but grit, and kept gettin' up for more. There's numerous positives to analyze about Wilson.

However, I'm going to point out one of the main issues I see with Tyler Wilson, and it ties in a little bit to the beating he took against Alabama. Wilson has to get better at identifying coverages prior to the snap and recognizing blitzes. It's an issue that I see in every game with him. I need to see that aspect improve during his Senior season. I need to see better communication with his receivers and get the ball out quicker in these situations. Hit his hot reads on a 1 or 3 step drop and stop taking so many unnecessary hits.

2.) Tyler Bray has a long ways to go in order to prove to me that he's a legitimate top underclassman QB prospect, and not just another lanky kid with a live arm and no idea how to play the position. The coaching staff at Tennessee has had issues with Bray and his lack of dedication since he's been there, although he appears to be ready to become more of a student of the game, and work at his craft. Bray's arm is able to perform elite tasks. He spins it as well as any quarterback in the NFL. The problem with Tyler Bray is that he hasn't done anything against SEC competition. He's been overmatched against SEC opponents, and has to play an entire season without getting hurt.

The fundamental flaw with Bray is bad footwork, and it contributes to his poor accuracy. I'm a firm believer that proper footwork is the key to accuracy. Bray's tendancy is to forecast where he's going with the football with his front foot. He gets away with it against lower level competition like Montana, Buffalo, etc... but not against SEC defensive backs. He doesn't get the toe of his front foot pointed at his target consistently.... this flaw in his footwork requires him to deliver the ball from this "side-saddle" position which affects the accuracy and touch of his passes. I can tell where Bray is going with the football on every throw by the time he sets up... so can SEC DB's.. his velocity is the only thing that saves him a lot of times. Basically, he needs to make sure that the notion that he's ready to dedicate himself to working on the details of his craft are true. He can't get away with taking a premature step in the direction he intends to throw and survive the defenses he's going to keep seeing in the SEC.

3.) Logan Thomas is the top underclassman QB prospect on my board right now.. for several reasons. Yes he's big and mobile with a strong arm, but it takes a little more to impress me. He has terrific pocket presence... along with his ball placement and ability to make stick throws in tight windows are what impresses me. However, the Cam Newton comparison is quite a bit off.

Thomas is nowhere near the athlete Cam Newton was. Thomas is a slightly more athletic Josh Freeman, and also comes with the same inconsistency issues as a passer that Freeman had this point in his college career. He's not in Cam Newton's class when he becomes a runner with the ball in his hands. Newton dominated SEC defenses physically with his combination of size, speed, and explosive cutting ability. Logan Thomas would get eat up by SEC defenses.

He has to improve his consistency, especially against the class of the conference (Clemson). In 2 games against Clemson, Thomas was only able to put up 3 points and 10 points, with only 1 TD and 3 INT's... both blowout losses to Clemson, who themselves got blown out 34-13 by the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina). That's what it would be like for Thomas to play an SEC schedule.

I look for Thomas to make some improvements in his consistency after getting a season of starting experience under his belt. If Virginia Tech wins the ACC and is in the mix for a BCS bowl by the end of the season, it'll be because of Logan Thomas. They don't have a RB like David Wilson to rely on in 2012. If Virginia Tech struggles, it's because Logan Thomas didn't make the jump in consistency that he needed to. It's his team and they'll go as far as he takes them.

Cam Newton took a team with a terrible defense that would've lost 6 games without him to an undefeated national title. Logan Thomas has a lot to prove to deserve that type of comparison.... and that's coming from someone who had their doubts about Cam Newton. I like Thomas, but he's not Cam Newton.

MiamiDolphin618
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
i'm definitely big on mingo...imo in the national championship game he was the best player at the los period...some serious tools there...definitely needs to get stronger but think about packing another 15-20 lbs on that frame which it looks to me like he'll carry very well and you might have yourself a monster end...i'm not ready to say that he's a stand up player only as a pro...i see a lot of jpp potential there...on upside and tools i'd be jumping on him
Agreed. He's the best pure pass rusher for me at the moment. Im intrigued by other guys as well...but Mingo just jumps out at me with those elite tools. This guy looks like a double digit sack guy to me..

John maplethorp
08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Be prepard to have Swope mocked to us in every single draft next offseason. :lol:

lol. Sherm loves drafting Aggies. Swope is a burner, don't let his skin color fool you, he's one of the fastest guys in the SEC at 4.4. Similar to Wes Welker with quickness and toughness , but Ryan has 2" and 15 lbs on Welker.

miamiron
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
A Belichick replacement for Welker and 8-9 million in savings

TedSlimmJr
08-21-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm going to pick it up in here a little bit with some underrated prospects, or even in some instances, may not be rated at all due to nobody taking notice... which is likely the case with Javone Lawson. If you read my Senior prospects thread for 2012, you probably didn't even notice him on my list of Senior wide receivers. Make no mistake, the kid can play... and he can play much better than several of his peers who will end up absorbing some hype.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a later round pick or go completely undrafted on draft day... he's probably a little better than that.

Watch him against San Diego St. last year in the New Orleans Bowl where he went off for 9 catches, 193 yards, and 2 TD's. Specifically, pay attention when he's matched up against Larry Parker and Leon McFadden. Watch his games against Arizona and Oklahoma St. (2011 and 2010), pay attention when he's matched up with NFL caliber CB's like Trevin Wade, Broderick Brown, etc.

T.Y. Hilton, Alfred Morris, Dwight Bentley, Demario Davis, Ladarius Green, Jonathan Massaquoi, and Bobby Rainey have all moved on to the NFL after being some of the most underrated prospects in the country all season last year. With these kids having moved on to the NFL, Javone Lawson takes the baton as the best player in the Sun Belt Conference in my opinion.

MP-Omnis
08-25-2012, 12:02 AM
I wonder what Margus Hunt is gonna do with his career. My cousin threw with him before SMU dissolved its track and field program. Cousin transferred to Stanford and Margus joined the football team as a 3-4 DE. He could easily play 4-3 though. He could probably play any position. He's just a freak.

Didn't Skov get arrested? I've wanted him in aqua and orange since he started playing at Stanford. Maybe we can get him in the later rounds.

This team needs more freaky athletes. We have the coaches to mold them.

bigvince75
08-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Big fan of Sean Porter. I think he could be an impact player in either the 3-4 or 4-3 as a rush LB; a bit smaller than most OLBs but his speed and agility is impressive.

TedSlimmJr
08-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Vanderbilt running back Zac Stacy is another underrated player. He reminds me a little bit of Doug Martin about this time a year ago. Very similar in a lot of ways.

Anybody that's familiar with the way I evaluate RB's knows that squatty backs with a low center of gravity who run tough between the tackles, play physical, get yards after contact, understand how to block in pass protection, and protect the football are going to endear themselves to me as a prospect.

Contrary to popular theory, backs like this are not plentiful. Although you could always find 'em in different sizes.

Zac Stacy is a rolling ball of butcher knives who has all the ingredients that a RB needs to find their way high up on my draft board early in the process.

Flip Tanneflop
08-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I dont know the large majority of these kids yet. I just have one general rule for our draft next year........

If the kid isnt ...

A) An offensive playmaker at skill positions WR, TE, or RB
or B) A defensive playmaker that rushes the passer, plays corner like a beast and creates turnovers or safety with ball hawking skills..........

DO NOT DRAFT!!!!

One single cornfed player that has little to no impact on the game with the way the NFL is set up today tells me the GM is still LOST.

MiamiDolphin618
08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I dont know the large majority of these kids yet. I just have one general rule for our draft next year........

If the kid isnt ...

A) An offensive playmaker at skill positions WR, TE, or RB
or B) A defensive playmaker that rushes the passer, plays corner like a beast and creates turnovers or safety with ball hawking skills..........

DO NOT DRAFT!!!!

One single cornfed player that has little to no impact on the game with the way the NFL is set up today tells me the GM is still LOST.
Id have to agree with you. WR or Pass rusher has got to be the plan...unless there is just a far and away better player at a different position. We NEED impact players. And now we have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds to do it. We will see how Smith and Marshal fair this year but CB could be another priority.
I would also be hoping that IF we have an awful year and we pick in the top 2-3 that someone wants to make a Griffin-esque trade for Logan Thomas/Barkley whoever. (Obviously thats if Tannehill at least shows promise).

TedSlimmJr
09-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen wasn't nearly as bad as the stat sheet made him look vs. Utah St. First of all, Utah St. is a monster, and his team was completely outmatched against the Aggies. They should've beat Auburn last year.

Sorensen had no help in this game. He was the only player for Southern Utah that wasn't overmatched. He had to play from a 21-0 deficit before his own team could even muster a single 1st down. On top of it, he was starting from 1st and 15 several times due to false starts by the offensive line. I counted 5 drops by his receivers on passes that were perfectly thrown. Furthermore, he usually had nobody open. His receivers couldn't seperate at all, forcing him to go with his checkdown often. Problem here was, his checkdown options were slipping and couldn't keep their feet underneath themselves, forcing Sorensen to pull the ball down and eat it.

On the occassions where he did actually complete passes for key 1st downs, they were called back by holding penalties.

Despite all of this, he never lost his poise. He made some great throws downfield with tremendous ball placement, and continued to put the ball in places where only his receiver could get it....which is why he avoided turning the football over despite the constant chaos and everything going down the toilet around him. He displayed elite NFL caliber arm strength on opposite hash throws.... if this isn't the strongest arm in college football, I haven't seen the one that's stronger yet.

He executed the backshoulder throw that is mandatory in the NFL several times throughout this game, but his receivers simply cannot adjust to it....they're not talented enough to execute these type passes against man coverage.

Now, he did give up on some plays too early in the redzone after a nice drive....throwing the ball away rather than waiting for receivers to try and uncover. However, it's because he's strictly coached to do it in those situations....and you can tell he's not happy with it.

I studied this entire game closely, and counted only 3 bad throws by Sorensen, with 0 bad decisions....despite everything crumbling around him.

If you look at the stats, you'll see that he's charged with 1 INT, but it doesn't tell the story. It was a perfectly thrown ball on the last play of the game that hit his receiver in the hands, who bounced it up into the air and into the hands of the defender in the endzone.

If you study this game, you should understand 2 things:

1.) You'll understand precisely how overmatched Southern Utah was from a talent perspective

2.) You'll understand why Sorensen is an NFL prospect, and why there were scouts from all 32 teams present

TedSlimmJr
09-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Joe Vellano is the #3 senior defensive tackle on my board right now, and he's always a pure joy to watch. Maryland went to a one-gapping 3-4 defense this year, so he's moved from DT to playing DE in the 3-4....but he won't stay there when he goes to the NFL. He's in the 6'1"-6'2" range and plays at around 285. He's not what you're looking for in terms of length to play the 3-4 DE position in the NFL.

He's more of a classic 3-technique, and a very underrated one in my opinion. There's a reason why he led the entire country last year in terms of tackles by a defensive lineman. In fact, his 20 tackle performance against Georgia Tech last year was the most by a defensive lineman since they began keeping the statistics on it 70 years ago.

He finds the football better than any defensive lineman in the country. A lot of guys can win at the line of scrimmage, but they can't find the football. Joe Vellano finds the football. He had 11 tackles, 2 TFL's, and picked off a screen pass vs. William & Mary. I absolutely love this kid.

Middle linebacker Demetrius Hartsfield is another outstanding linebacker talent for Maryland. Spectacular hips and athletic ability in coverage and instincts to sift through traffic.

For W&M, cornerback B.W. Webb played an outstanding game. He's one of the best players in the FCS and has tremendous ball skills.

That 7-6 squeaker that Maryland slipped by W&M is a great game to study if you enjoy looking at underrated prospects.

Same with Kent St.'s Roosevelt Nix and McNeese St.'s Malcolm Bronson.

finsfanjay13
09-04-2012, 08:46 AM
One guy I watched Saturday was Jonathan Cooper (OG, UNC). He's not really "underrated" as he's a preaseason All-ACC member, however, he put in a nice block to free Bernard to the outside on that 59 yard touchdown. I know it was against Elon, but I saw multiple plays where he isn't afraid to cut block the defender. I admittedly didn't watch his pass protection all game, but I did like what I saw. He'll be interesting to watch.

TedSlimmJr
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
The main thing that stood out to me when re-watching Miami/Boston College was exactly how good RG Brandon Linder is. He was already at the top of my list of underclassman guard prospects. Both of those big runs by the freshman RB Johnson were due to key blocks by Linder. Knee bender with outstanding athleticism and technique.

datruth55
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
The main thing that stood out to me when re-watching Miami/Boston College was exactly how good RG Brandon Linder is. He was already at the top of my list of underclassman guard prospects. Both of those big runs by the freshman RB Johnson were due to key blocks by Linder. Knee bender with outstanding athleticism and technique.
He graded out at 97% slimm. True freshman RT Erik Flowers graded out at 94% by the way.

TedSlimmJr
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
LSU underclassman safety Eric Reid was also exposed in coverage to a significant degree vs. North Texas.

John Chavis had him lined up in the slot on two occassions in man coverage on North Texas receiver Brelan Chancellor and was burned for 2 touchdowns. However, he did have a terrific interception on a tipped pass in terms of getting his hands under the football and preventing it from hitting the ground.

Reid is a good centerfielder type safety on the back end to clean up, but stiffness and some lack of range is going to hinder him. He can't be relied on to match up in man coverage.

TedSlimmJr
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I re-watched Texas St. upset Houston and I understand why. There's a couple of later round sleepers on offense for Texas St. at RB and TE.

Marcus Curry is a talented back with a sturdy frame (5'11", 210), runs with great balance and acceleration. Finishes runs with extra yards after contact the way I like to see. Catches the ball well out of the backfield. The first two times he touched the ball against Houston were a 21 yard TD reception out of the backfield and a 73 yard TD run. He had 120+ yards rushing 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter. He's a transfer from Navy.

Chase Harper is a 6'5", 250 pound TE who was highly recruited coming out of JUCO. He had offers on the table from big programs (Nebraska, Miami, Michigan St., Texas A&M, Kansas St., etc.)... they were all after this kid. They like to use him on the LOS in a 3-point stance where he blocks down on the DE on power where they pull a guard into the hole. Quality athlete that has some explosion and looks fluid in space running routes and catching the football.

hooshoops
09-07-2012, 04:49 PM
i think reid may be a strong safety in the pros...some stiffness in those hips and i think he'll get exposed in coverage...i like him but i think a lot of his game is what we already have in reshad jones...jones may have better ball skills though...i'll pass on reid at free safety

hooshoops
09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
logan thomas was underwhelming against ga tech...errant passes and good god how much they gonna run him this year??? ugly offense in that game...a hard watch...the wr davis i think his name is is a big body and he looks like he's got some things to his game but he was inconsistent all night and looks to me like more hype than substance...the kind of guy you got a wait a while to get a return on...i hope i can do better than that with a top 3 round pick personally...

the fs lester for bama is interesting...might be able to pluck him with a 3rd rounder...

overall i watched 4 college games last week and they all were underwhelming...michigan looked like trash against bama...god dang is that freshman rb yeldon a stud...wow...something awkward about his body lean when he runs i guess cause he's so long but when he came in the game and got the rock it was a different level...looks like a future top 10 nfl pick...vision acceleration...toughness inside...great feet...that kids the goods...they need to get lacie out of the way that guys run of the mill as they come...

the rb leondre bell for mich state has damn good feet for 245 lbs...and he plays like he weighs...downhill...not sure about top end speed but i tell ya one thing he looks like a scat back with how comfortable he is catching the ball...that's an interesting kid...too bad the mich st qb sucks as does the boise qb...

hooshoops
09-07-2012, 05:07 PM
another guy who's versatility i really like is jones the olineman for bama...i think he's played every position on the oline and played it at a high level...god dang he's mastering center now...teams are gonna LOVE that versatility...probably not a left tackle possibility in the pros but any interior position and right tackle i think he's a gamer for

MiamiDolphin618
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
another guy who's versatility i really like is jones the olineman for bama...i think he's played every position on the oline and played it at a high level...god dang he's mastering center now...teams are gonna LOVE that versatility...probably not a left tackle possibility in the pros but any interior position and right tackle i think he's a gamer for
Yeah that versatility is something teams will covet.

MiamiDolphin618
09-07-2012, 05:31 PM
i think reid may be a strong safety in the pros...some stiffness in those hips and i think he'll get exposed in coverage...i like him but i think a lot of his game is what we already have in reshad jones...jones may have better ball skills though...i'll pass on reid at free safety
He is solid..but I agree I don't see anything special. He will get pushed up the draft board though Im sure. He is no Eric Berry or Earl Thomas that is for sure.

Fin_Frenzy_84
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Justin Hunter had a great game!

The DE from Florida State has 5 sacks in two games and I believe he didnt even play the full half against savannah state because of the blow out.

Also Corey Lemonier has 3 sacks in two games.

dolfan91
09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm looking forward to week #3 in college football. ESPN has Florida State/Wake Forest, Tennessee/Florida and later Utah is playing on ESPN 2 @ 10pm ... I'm looking forward to seeing Werner and Rhodes from Florida State, Patterson and Hunter from TN and Lotulelei again from Utah.

RealDriscoll
09-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Bjoern Werner has been playing out of his mind. His stock is soaring and I don't see how he isn't a top fifteen pick. He reminds me of a blend between JJ Watt & Jared Allen. He uses his hands well to keep blockers' hands off of him and he also plays with a ton of power. He is an classic plug and play player

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Barrett Jones is one of my favorite players in the draft. He has the versatility to play 5 positions and play them at a high level.

Kevlared
09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
watching keenan allen right now for CAL.#2 wr on on the mels big board.

Austin Tatious
09-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Logan Thomas, EJ Manuel, whoop de doo. Nothing to see there. Overrated.

Tyler Bray is the young qb who looks good to me. Besides Barkley of course.

next-year
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Stedman Bailey would fit in our offense perfectly.

uk_dolfan
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I have no idea who we should draft, I have never watched a college game in my life. But I hope we use our first round and our highest second round pick on wide receivers. Then id like to see us try and replace Vonte Davis in the second round as well. After that I dont know, just fill what ever holes need filled, right guard perhaps.

Hopefully next years draft will bring improvement and the one after that could actually make us competitive.

uk_dolfan
09-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Also a hypothetical question for you draft nerds, if Tannehill had stayed another year in Texas, played well and showed solid progression what pick would he have been in 2013?

TedSlimmJr
09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Tannehill couldn't stay another year because he was already a Senior. Secondly, he was better as a junior than he was as a senior.

TedSlimmJr
09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
One thing I notice watching most of these receivers is a tendancy for dropped passes. For some of 'em it isn't necessarily something new... but for some of 'em it is.

I see them all, including several that are probably a little off the radar of the general draft community and underrated prospects. The only one's I haven't seen any dropped passes from are Stedman Bailey and Aaron Dobson.

One of the most underrated defensive ends I've found is Western Kentucky's Quanterus Smith. This kid could start in the SEC.

He's 6'5", 250 pounds with incredible quickness... and he can bend. I watched him personally wreck Alabama's offensive line last Saturday for 3 sacks and 3 TFL's. I dug in to some of his 2011 film and watched him dominate Sun Belt competition week in and week out. Very talented and well coached kid that will likely find his way higher on my board than most.

Coach Taggert's squad has another very underrated linebacker that I already knew about. He's an underclassman and unlikely to come out this year although it's certainly possible by the name of Andrew Jackson. At 6'1", 255 pounds he moves, plays, and reacts a lot like a young Ray Lewis. In fact, he played at the same high school as Ray Lewis (Kathleen). Jackson had offers on the table from SEC schools.

It's no coincidence that this team plays everybody tough, and beat Kentucky yesterday. Despite some of the underrated talent they have, they're just so well coached....especially in the front 7.

TedSlimmJr
09-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Joe Fauria is a nightmare mismatch in the redzone. UCLA likes to use him in the slot or lined up at the "X" position to run some X-iso and get a mismatch on a cornerback. However, he has no clue when it comes to blocking out of a 3-point stance, and that's being generous. Tremendous weapon in the passing game.

Datone Jones is an absolute animal at DE for UCLA. Even got some time on offense and caught a touchdown pass Saturday vs. Houston.

uk_dolfan
09-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Tannehill couldn't stay another year because he was already a Senior. Secondly, he was better as a junior than he was as a senior.

I know thats why I said it was a hypothetical question. If he was in next years draft and had a solid year I would expect him to go a lot higher than eighth. I was just curious what people who under the draft a lot better thought.

TedSlimmJr
09-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Shamarko Thomas is a kid that I've talked about since May as an underrated safety prospect. Ironically, he finally got his first career interception in man coverage against what is probably the most dynamic passing combination in the country... a Matt Barkley pass intended for Robert Woods down the seam vs. USC. Just an outstanding play by Thomas.

Neither Knile Davis, Marcus Lattimore, or Justin Hunter look 100% healthy at this point. I know what they look like completely healthy and they're just not there yet.... nor are they supposed to be this soon.