PDA

View Full Version : ---Official Golf Thread----

NY8123
07-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Sitting here watching the Open and watching a great setup for a final round shootout and I realized there has got to be some golfers here on Finheaven. The Open is shaping up to be a great finish and if the forecast holds the final round will be completely different, winds are foretasted to pickup substantially which changes everything about the way the course is playing this year.

I love the game, fell in love with it when I was in my twenties. I'm your prototypical bogey golfer, I can shoot lower than 40 on a good day but I tend to hover in the low 40's. So where are all my golfers at and what are some cool courses you have played?

JCane
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
The British Open is probably my favorite major if we don't count the TPC at Sawgrass.

I love golf. Golf and baseball are probably my two favorite sports. Very relaxing to watch. Both take incredible amounts of precision.

This Open has been unique with the down winds. But if the 25MPH winds that they're predicting hit tomorrow, we could see a lot of changes in the leaderboard. This plays into Tiger's favor because he can drive those winds. Adam Scott has done nothing the entire tournament but use his woods. But he's done why he's supposed to do and that's why he's the leader.

Tomorrow, he's gonna have to bag those woods and pull out that driver. Once that happens, he and the rest of the field will have to drain some serious putts in order to maintain par for the day.

Tiger has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes but if his short game is excellent tomorrow then he could very well pull off a remarkable upset.

What sucks is that I'm a big fan of Phil Mickelson. Always have been. But this major and the last he has **** his pants. And this coming after he pulled out of a tournament due to "mental exhaustion." He took time off to get his head straight and he's been anything but.

NY8123
07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
The British Open is probably my favorite major if we don't count the TPC at Sawgrass.

I love golf. Golf and baseball are probably my two favorite sports. Very relaxing to watch. Both take incredible amounts of precision.

This Open has been unique with the down winds. But if the 25MPH winds that they're predicting hit tomorrow, we could see a lot of changes in the leader board. This plays into Tiger's favor because he can drive those winds. Adam Scott has done nothing the entire tournament but use his woods. But he's done why he's supposed to do and that's why he's the leader.

Tomorrow, he's gonna have to bag those woods and pull out that driver. Once that happens, he and the rest of the field will have to drain some serious putts in order to maintain par for the day.

Tiger has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes but if his short game is excellent tomorrow then he could very well pull off a remarkable upset.

What sucks is that I'm a big fan of Phil Mickelson. Always have been. But this major and the last he has **** his pants. And this coming after he pulled out of a tournament due to "mental exhaustion." He took time off to get his head straight and he's been anything but.

I've been watching Tiger and his approach to winning this Open, it is a very different Tiger than I have seen in any other Major. Adam Scott has been so consistent and so methodical and I agree, that is why he is leading at the close of round three.

However I am really pulling for those winds tomorrow! I want to see gusting wind up to 25 or 30mph and I have to say if that happens it plays right into what I think Tiger was assuming would happen at an earlier time. I think Tiger geared his game this tourney for wind and a lot of it but when this light wind, soft attackable golf course presented itself to the field I think it surprised a lot of the players. Tiger stayed his course and assumed conditions would change but obviously they haven't. Tomorrow if the weather lends to the gusty, blustery type play it will enhance what Tiger is trying to do.

LouPhinFan
07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
This course definitely has no teeth without wind blowing off of the ocean. Of course I guess that's true for any links courses over there, especially St Andrews.

I'm playing a round at Fuzzy Zoeller's nicest course (he's got 2 courses) in southern Indiana tomorrow. I can't wait.

JCane
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
This course definitely has no teeth without wind blowing off of the ocean. Of course I guess that's true for any links courses over there, especially St Andrews.

I'm playing a round at Fuzzy Zoeller's nicest course (he's got 2 courses) in southern Indiana tomorrow. I can't wait.

Without the wind this course is showing which golfers have balls. The majority of the greens are protected by several deep bunkers that are damn near impossible to get out of. So golfers with the balls are driving the greens and the rest are laying up. Tiger has laid up several times and left shots out on the course.

The winds dramatically change all of that and tomorrow will be interesting.

JCane
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Final round 75 for Adam Scott.

That was so hard to watch those final four holes for him.

The look on his face after the putt to send it to a playoff on 18 just went left of the hole. He was devastated

Tunaphish429
07-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Waiting to golf right now...been waiting for my cousin for over 45 minutes..

CedarPhin
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Final round 75 for Adam Scott.

That was so hard to watch those final four holes for him.

The look on his face after the putt to send it to a playoff on 18 just went left of the hole. He was devastated

Must have channeled his inner Greg Norman.

JCane
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Waiting to golf right now...been waiting for my cousin for over 45 minutes..

Unacceptable.

Beat him to death with an iron.

LouPhinFan
07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
The pros are going to have a similar test to the Open when they tee it up at the PGA on Kiawa Island. But first they've got the WGC at Tiger's favorite course (Firestone).

NY8123
07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Well I need to get my ass on the course more. I haven't played nearly enough this year, I buddy of mine told me a cool story Monday that happened here on a local course.

His father and his sister were golfing with him, his sister wanted to learn more about golf. She took a job as a manager slightly below the executive level some place and need to learn and become more versed in golf. So my bud and his father took her out to explain the terminology and stuff, she had played in the past but only a few times. Anyway she left early for her class reunion and left her dad and bother to the course. My buddy says we come to a par 3 at hole 14, dad tees up the ball and hits a beauty. It bounces twice and my buddy looks over and says, holy ****in' **** did that just do what I think it did? Sure as **** a two bouncer into the hole for a hole in one. Another golfer walking down the 13th saw it and singed the card as a witness.

So that leads me to this question, who out there has hit the holy grail of shots the hole in one?

Anyone ever hit a hole in one or played in a group who has? Closest I ever came was rolling a ball past the stick about two feet but I am pretty sure it lipped or hit the stick, it was coming in pretty hot. The closes one in one shot I have ever seen came from a good friend of mine who is not even a boogie golfer, ****er hit a beauty of shot at a state course and it hit about 3 feet past the hole and spun back to within 1/2" of dropping. It was close enough we thought it would drop but it never did lol.

Smith21
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
My buddy played golf with me for his first time about 2 years ago, on the 3rd hole he hit a pw about 2 inches away from a hole in 1. I've played with him 6 ish times since than and I've never seen him hit the green. Lucky 1st time

LouPhinFan
07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Well I need to get my ass on the course more. I haven't played nearly enough this year, I buddy of mine told me a cool story Monday that happened here on a local course.

His father and his sister were golfing with him, his sister wanted to learn more about golf. She took a job as a manager slightly below the executive level some place and need to learn and become more versed in golf. So my bud and his father took her out to explain the terminology and stuff, she had played in the past but only a few times. Anyway she left early for her class reunion and left her dad and bother to the course. My buddy says we come to a par 3 at hole 14, dad tees up the ball and hits a beauty. It bounces twice and my buddy looks over and says, holy ****in' **** did that just do what I think it did? Sure as **** a two bouncer into the hole for a hole in one. Another golfer walking down the 13th saw it and singed the card as a witness.

So that leads me to this question, who out there has hit the holy grail of shots the hole in one?

Anyone ever hit a hole in one or played in a group who has? Closest I ever came was rolling a ball past the stick about two feet but I am pretty sure it lipped or hit the stick, it was coming in pretty hot. The closes one in one shot I have ever seen came from a good friend of mine who is not even a boogie golfer, ****er hit a beauty of shot at a state course and it hit about 3 feet past the hole and spun back to within 1/2" of dropping. It was close enough we thought it would drop but it never did lol.

The closest I've ever gotten was about 12 or 13 inches and that was many years ago when I was in college and played a lot more than I do now.

LouPhinFan
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
You know I think it's pretty stupid that golf isn't an Olympic sport. I mean if beach volleyball is in the Olympics, then why isn't one of the most internationally played sport in golf also in the Olympics?

WVDolphan
07-28-2012, 09:15 PM
You da man!!!!!

Get in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

NY8123
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
You know I think it's pretty stupid that golf isn't an Olympic sport. I mean if beach volleyball is in the Olympics, then why isn't one of the most internationally played sport in golf also in the Olympics?

I agree completely, maybe it has something to do with the amount of time and size that it takes to layout a golf course and the fact that some countries would be hard pressed to get quality playing time on a course. Size constrained countries charge an ass load to play the courses, in Japan it is almost $200 backs a round and up to play 18.

LouPhinFan
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree completely, maybe it has something to do with the amount of time and size that it takes to layout a golf course and the fact that some countries would be hard pressed to get quality playing time on a course. Size constrained countries charge an ass load to play the courses, in Japan it is almost $200 backs a round and up to play 18.

Yeah but it can be done, arrangements could be made for the Olympics. Think of this Olympics, the golf could be played on any one of the courses in Scotland. Buenos Aires has like 6 years to prepare for their Olympics. They could easily take an existing course and turn it into an Olympic caliber test in that amount of time.

NY8123
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah but it can be done, arrangements could be made for the Olympics. Think of this Olympics, the golf could be played on any one of the courses in Scotland. Buenos Aires has like 6 years to prepare for their Olympics. They could easily take an existing course and turn it into an Olympic caliber test in that amount of time.

Could actually be used as a excuse to promote golf around the world and get more countries involved.

LouPhinFan
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Could actually be used as a excuse to promote golf around the world and get more countries involved.

Apparently golf will be in the 2016 games in Rio.

http://www.olympic.org/news/rio-2016-reveals-design-of-first-olympic-golf-course-in-over-a-century/156712

NY8123
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Apparently golf will be in the 2016 games in Rio.

http://www.olympic.org/news/rio-2016-reveals-design-of-first-olympic-golf-course-in-over-a-century/156712

This actually makes me happy. Thanks for the link Lou!

NY8123
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I cannot believe it is almost labor day, I have on last Golf Tournament to play and then the clubs probably will get hung up for the year wtf???

LouPhinFan
08-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I cannot believe it is almost labor day, I have on last Golf Tournament to play and then the clubs probably will get hung up for the year wtf???

Time flies. But at least football is here. Or whatever the Dolphins are calling that crap they put on the field.

Tunaphish429
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
We had a great summer here upstate NY, cant complain at all..I am sure the decent weather will continue until Oct

NY8123
09-12-2012, 01:55 PM
We had a great summer here upstate NY, cant complain at all..I am sure the decent weather will continue until Oct

Nope no complaints, the summer here was great in upstate. It just wasn't a golfing summer lol, I was so damn busy with other stuff I didn't have time. I played a captain and crew last weekend and finished in second. I hope to get out once or twice more before it's time to hang em' up.

NY8123
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
As much as I have the paintball bug, the golf bug is biting too!!! Augusta in April gets me going every time and it won't be long before the clubs are in the back of the Tahoe for this year! Gotta get to the range and brush the winter rust of the ol' swing.

Tiger prowling at the Masters, it is going to be a great weekend.

fishfanmiami
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Sitting here watching the Open and watching a great setup for a final round shootout and I realized there has got to be some golfers here on Finheaven. The Open is shaping up to be a great finish and if the forecast holds the final round will be completely different, winds are foretasted to pickup substantially which changes everything about the way the course is playing this year.

I love the game, fell in love with it when I was in my twenties. I'm your prototypical bogey golfer, I can shoot lower than 40 on a good day but I tend to hover in the low 40's. So where are all my golfers at and what are some cool courses you have played?

Never noticed a golf thread before. Sounds like your game is about like mine. Low 40's for nine , mid 80's for 18.

When i lived in Mia i had a home at Casa del Sol across from Doral C C. Had a par 3 with a lake (and bass) in my back yard.
In Miami the president of the company i worked for was a golf freak and always entered me in celebrity golf events. I got to play with Tony Nathan once which was a blast. I also traveled a lot on business nationwide and always took my clubs.

On one occasion at a course in Riverside Ca i was forced to play with a threesome of Japanese businessmen who spoke little English and bowed when ever i hit a good shot. Golf's a blast.

fishfanmiami
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
One time me and a buddy drove up to Disney World in Orlando to play in a tournament at the course there. After the event we ended up at a lounge at the hotel talking to two gorgeous ladies.
Being gentlemen we invited them up to our room and soon separated into couples on separate beds. At this point one of the girls says how much you guys want to spend ? DISNEY HOOKERS what's the world coming to ?

NY8123
04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
One time me and a buddy drove up to Disney World in Orlando to play in a tournament at the course there. After the event we ended up at a lounge at the hotel talking to two gorgeous ladies.
Being gentlemen we invited them up to our room and soon separated into couples on separate beds. At this point one of the girls says how much you guys want to spend ? DISNEY HOOKERS what's the world coming to ?

That is ****ing funny. Disney hookers hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Yeah my games right with yours, I can have my blow ups and shot like ass but normally I'm right there in the low 40's and mid 80's for 18. I can also have those games that keep you coming back but those don't seem as prevalent as the blow ups from time to time lol.

Still laughing my ass off about the hookers.

fishfanmiami
04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Great Masters. Can not believe they played so well in the rain.

NY8123
04-25-2013, 02:47 PM
It was a great Masters. The penalty on Tiger was bogus in my opinion. If he had been short and hit the water fine but the poor bastard hit the flag stick, 99.99% of the time that shot ends up within 6 feet.

fishfanmiami
06-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Played the University of Georgia course today in Athens GA. Bubba Watson's home course.

NY8123
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm going to play Enjoy golf course sometime here soon. Home of the BC Open lol.

Danny6813
06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Just ordered one of them RBZ Rocketballz 3 woods.. Anyone play with one? Very excited to get it!

fishfanmiami
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Those are great clubs. i play the Big Bertha diablo woods. Not the longest but i hit them straight for the most part.

Just added this guy to the team

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/06/bigb_zps12bc6c06-1.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/fishfanmiami/media/bigb_zps12bc6c06.jpg.html)

fishfanmiami
06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Funny golf slang

A ‘Rock Hudson’ or A ‘Tom Cruise’ : a putt that looks straight, but it clearly isn’t
“Every frickin’ putt I’ve had today has been a Rock Hudson.”

An ‘Osama Bin Laden’ or A ‘Saddam Hussein’ : going from one bunker to another
“I bet you 10 bucks that Bob pulls a Bin Laden from that sand trap.”

A ‘Rodney King’ : over-clubbed
“I was so determined not to come up short that I Rodney King’d that 5 iron.”

An ‘Al Qaeda Camel’ : in the sand and sure to get f*cked
“Way to hit it into the short-sided pot bunker, you Al Qaeda Camel.”

An ‘O.J. Simpson’ : getting away with one
“Nice shot, OJ. Right off the trees and back into the fairway.”

A ‘Kelly Clarkson’ : chunky, but still working
“I Kelly Clarkson’d the hell outta my 8 iron, but I’m sitting just short of the green.”

A ‘Muhammed Ali’ : when you’re shaking over an important putt
“Did you see Joe pull a Muhammed Ali over that birdie putt?”

A ‘German Virgin’ : guten tight (that’s ‘good and tight’ for the phonetically challenged)
“You’re gonna like where that wedge ended up. It’s a real German Virgin.”

A ‘Rosie O’Donnell’ : just plain fat
“Sonnovabitch, another f*cking Rosie O’Donnell!”

A ‘Condom’ : it’s safe, but it didn’t feel very good
“I caught that condom right on the heel.”

A ‘Beyonce’ : a bit chunky, but still on the dance floor
“Stellar Beyonce, there Ricky. But I think you’re on the front edge of the green.”

A ‘Nursing Home Bus Crash’: a whole lotta nasty breaks
“I would’ve shot a 82 if it weren’t for the Nursing Home Bus Crash on the last 3 holes.”

A ‘Paris Hilton’: spoiled; wasted a good opportunity
“After bombing my drive I proceeded to Paris Hilton my approach shot.”

An ‘Elephant’s A$$hole’: it’s high and it stinks (usually for popped up drives)
“Wow, that’s a real Elephant’s A$$hole if I’ve ever seen one.”

A ‘Gay Midget’s Mouth’: it’s low and it sucks
“That bladed 7 iron reminds me of a Gay Midget’s Mouth.”

A ‘Danny DeVito’: an ugly little five footer
“I’ve got a Danny DeVito left to save double.”

A ‘Joe Pesci’: a mean little five footer
See above

A ‘Sonny Bono’: straight into the trees
“I snap hooked my drive on #2, Sonny Bono style.”

An ‘Elton John’: a big bender that lips the rim
“Man, I almost dropped that Elton John on #4 for a birdie.”

A ‘Pat Sajak’: too much spin
“I thought I had the perfect wedge in there, but I got screwed by Pat Sajak.”

NY8123
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I played a captain and crew tourney last Saturday and hit about 15 of those expressions of the list!

fishfanmiami
05-31-2014, 11:43 PM
http://youtu.be/NxLkEPb5DzI

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2014/06/happygilmore1o_zpsf92b678c-1.gif

fishfanmiami
07-25-2014, 12:29 AM
http://youtu.be/817gG-guNDQ

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Furyk had his best chance to win yesterday. All the big boys stayed home and he still let it get away on Sunday.

At least he didn't choke this time. He was outplayed.

Never realized how lucrative professional golf has become. I was at the Memorial this year on Sunday and watched everyone choke with million dollar prize on the line.
The winning prize wasn't what surprised me. It was the average money that the top 25 players make over the course of a season.

Take Ricky Fowler, only being a pro 5 years and a single career victory to his name. But he has earned over $13 million in 125 events played.
In fact if you look at most of the top players they all average about $100,000 per every event they play.
Tiger was just insane earning over $300,000 per event he has played.

fishfanmiami
07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
The money is insane and that's not including endorsements.

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Bridgestone Invitational this weekend in Akron. That's about 3 hours away.The Hall of Fame activities are this weekend also right in the same area. That would be an awesome Sunday, watch the final round during the day then go over to game in the evening.
And then forget work on Monday

fishfanmiami
07-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds like fun. I used to live next to Doral in Miami and went to that event every year. Always had a blast.
By the way good to see someone else posting here. Usually just NY , Danny and myself.

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Golf is an awesome game. My second favorite to football.
Played a round on my chipping green tonight. One shot from 45 yards hit the pin and spun down to 6 inches from hole. I'm going to hole one eventually. Got golf league tomorrow. Hopefully practice pays off.