PDA

View Full Version : ---Official Golf Thread----

NY8123
07-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Sitting here watching the Open and watching a great setup for a final round shootout and I realized there has got to be some golfers here on Finheaven. The Open is shaping up to be a great finish and if the forecast holds the final round will be completely different, winds are foretasted to pickup substantially which changes everything about the way the course is playing this year.

I love the game, fell in love with it when I was in my twenties. I'm your prototypical bogey golfer, I can shoot lower than 40 on a good day but I tend to hover in the low 40's. So where are all my golfers at and what are some cool courses you have played?

JCane
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
The British Open is probably my favorite major if we don't count the TPC at Sawgrass.

I love golf. Golf and baseball are probably my two favorite sports. Very relaxing to watch. Both take incredible amounts of precision.

This Open has been unique with the down winds. But if the 25MPH winds that they're predicting hit tomorrow, we could see a lot of changes in the leaderboard. This plays into Tiger's favor because he can drive those winds. Adam Scott has done nothing the entire tournament but use his woods. But he's done why he's supposed to do and that's why he's the leader.

Tomorrow, he's gonna have to bag those woods and pull out that driver. Once that happens, he and the rest of the field will have to drain some serious putts in order to maintain par for the day.

Tiger has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes but if his short game is excellent tomorrow then he could very well pull off a remarkable upset.

What sucks is that I'm a big fan of Phil Mickelson. Always have been. But this major and the last he has **** his pants. And this coming after he pulled out of a tournament due to "mental exhaustion." He took time off to get his head straight and he's been anything but.

NY8123
07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
The British Open is probably my favorite major if we don't count the TPC at Sawgrass.

I love golf. Golf and baseball are probably my two favorite sports. Very relaxing to watch. Both take incredible amounts of precision.

This Open has been unique with the down winds. But if the 25MPH winds that they're predicting hit tomorrow, we could see a lot of changes in the leader board. This plays into Tiger's favor because he can drive those winds. Adam Scott has done nothing the entire tournament but use his woods. But he's done why he's supposed to do and that's why he's the leader.

Tomorrow, he's gonna have to bag those woods and pull out that driver. Once that happens, he and the rest of the field will have to drain some serious putts in order to maintain par for the day.

Tiger has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes but if his short game is excellent tomorrow then he could very well pull off a remarkable upset.

What sucks is that I'm a big fan of Phil Mickelson. Always have been. But this major and the last he has **** his pants. And this coming after he pulled out of a tournament due to "mental exhaustion." He took time off to get his head straight and he's been anything but.

I've been watching Tiger and his approach to winning this Open, it is a very different Tiger than I have seen in any other Major. Adam Scott has been so consistent and so methodical and I agree, that is why he is leading at the close of round three.

However I am really pulling for those winds tomorrow! I want to see gusting wind up to 25 or 30mph and I have to say if that happens it plays right into what I think Tiger was assuming would happen at an earlier time. I think Tiger geared his game this tourney for wind and a lot of it but when this light wind, soft attackable golf course presented itself to the field I think it surprised a lot of the players. Tiger stayed his course and assumed conditions would change but obviously they haven't. Tomorrow if the weather lends to the gusty, blustery type play it will enhance what Tiger is trying to do.

LouPhinFan
07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
This course definitely has no teeth without wind blowing off of the ocean. Of course I guess that's true for any links courses over there, especially St Andrews.

I'm playing a round at Fuzzy Zoeller's nicest course (he's got 2 courses) in southern Indiana tomorrow. I can't wait.

JCane
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
This course definitely has no teeth without wind blowing off of the ocean. Of course I guess that's true for any links courses over there, especially St Andrews.

I'm playing a round at Fuzzy Zoeller's nicest course (he's got 2 courses) in southern Indiana tomorrow. I can't wait.

Without the wind this course is showing which golfers have balls. The majority of the greens are protected by several deep bunkers that are damn near impossible to get out of. So golfers with the balls are driving the greens and the rest are laying up. Tiger has laid up several times and left shots out on the course.

The winds dramatically change all of that and tomorrow will be interesting.

JCane
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Final round 75 for Adam Scott.

That was so hard to watch those final four holes for him.

The look on his face after the putt to send it to a playoff on 18 just went left of the hole. He was devastated

Tunaphish429
07-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Waiting to golf right now...been waiting for my cousin for over 45 minutes..

CedarPhin
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Final round 75 for Adam Scott.

That was so hard to watch those final four holes for him.

The look on his face after the putt to send it to a playoff on 18 just went left of the hole. He was devastated

Must have channeled his inner Greg Norman.

JCane
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Waiting to golf right now...been waiting for my cousin for over 45 minutes..

Unacceptable.

Beat him to death with an iron.

LouPhinFan
07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
The pros are going to have a similar test to the Open when they tee it up at the PGA on Kiawa Island. But first they've got the WGC at Tiger's favorite course (Firestone).

NY8123
07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Well I need to get my ass on the course more. I haven't played nearly enough this year, I buddy of mine told me a cool story Monday that happened here on a local course.

His father and his sister were golfing with him, his sister wanted to learn more about golf. She took a job as a manager slightly below the executive level some place and need to learn and become more versed in golf. So my bud and his father took her out to explain the terminology and stuff, she had played in the past but only a few times. Anyway she left early for her class reunion and left her dad and bother to the course. My buddy says we come to a par 3 at hole 14, dad tees up the ball and hits a beauty. It bounces twice and my buddy looks over and says, holy ****in' **** did that just do what I think it did? Sure as **** a two bouncer into the hole for a hole in one. Another golfer walking down the 13th saw it and singed the card as a witness.

So that leads me to this question, who out there has hit the holy grail of shots the hole in one?

Anyone ever hit a hole in one or played in a group who has? Closest I ever came was rolling a ball past the stick about two feet but I am pretty sure it lipped or hit the stick, it was coming in pretty hot. The closes one in one shot I have ever seen came from a good friend of mine who is not even a boogie golfer, ****er hit a beauty of shot at a state course and it hit about 3 feet past the hole and spun back to within 1/2" of dropping. It was close enough we thought it would drop but it never did lol.

Smith21
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
My buddy played golf with me for his first time about 2 years ago, on the 3rd hole he hit a pw about 2 inches away from a hole in 1. I've played with him 6 ish times since than and I've never seen him hit the green. Lucky 1st time

LouPhinFan
07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Well I need to get my ass on the course more. I haven't played nearly enough this year, I buddy of mine told me a cool story Monday that happened here on a local course.

His father and his sister were golfing with him, his sister wanted to learn more about golf. She took a job as a manager slightly below the executive level some place and need to learn and become more versed in golf. So my bud and his father took her out to explain the terminology and stuff, she had played in the past but only a few times. Anyway she left early for her class reunion and left her dad and bother to the course. My buddy says we come to a par 3 at hole 14, dad tees up the ball and hits a beauty. It bounces twice and my buddy looks over and says, holy ****in' **** did that just do what I think it did? Sure as **** a two bouncer into the hole for a hole in one. Another golfer walking down the 13th saw it and singed the card as a witness.

So that leads me to this question, who out there has hit the holy grail of shots the hole in one?

Anyone ever hit a hole in one or played in a group who has? Closest I ever came was rolling a ball past the stick about two feet but I am pretty sure it lipped or hit the stick, it was coming in pretty hot. The closes one in one shot I have ever seen came from a good friend of mine who is not even a boogie golfer, ****er hit a beauty of shot at a state course and it hit about 3 feet past the hole and spun back to within 1/2" of dropping. It was close enough we thought it would drop but it never did lol.

The closest I've ever gotten was about 12 or 13 inches and that was many years ago when I was in college and played a lot more than I do now.

LouPhinFan
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
You know I think it's pretty stupid that golf isn't an Olympic sport. I mean if beach volleyball is in the Olympics, then why isn't one of the most internationally played sport in golf also in the Olympics?

WVDolphan
07-28-2012, 09:15 PM
You da man!!!!!

Get in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

NY8123
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
You know I think it's pretty stupid that golf isn't an Olympic sport. I mean if beach volleyball is in the Olympics, then why isn't one of the most internationally played sport in golf also in the Olympics?

I agree completely, maybe it has something to do with the amount of time and size that it takes to layout a golf course and the fact that some countries would be hard pressed to get quality playing time on a course. Size constrained countries charge an ass load to play the courses, in Japan it is almost $200 backs a round and up to play 18.

LouPhinFan
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree completely, maybe it has something to do with the amount of time and size that it takes to layout a golf course and the fact that some countries would be hard pressed to get quality playing time on a course. Size constrained countries charge an ass load to play the courses, in Japan it is almost $200 backs a round and up to play 18.

Yeah but it can be done, arrangements could be made for the Olympics. Think of this Olympics, the golf could be played on any one of the courses in Scotland. Buenos Aires has like 6 years to prepare for their Olympics. They could easily take an existing course and turn it into an Olympic caliber test in that amount of time.

NY8123
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah but it can be done, arrangements could be made for the Olympics. Think of this Olympics, the golf could be played on any one of the courses in Scotland. Buenos Aires has like 6 years to prepare for their Olympics. They could easily take an existing course and turn it into an Olympic caliber test in that amount of time.

Could actually be used as a excuse to promote golf around the world and get more countries involved.

LouPhinFan
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Could actually be used as a excuse to promote golf around the world and get more countries involved.

Apparently golf will be in the 2016 games in Rio.

http://www.olympic.org/news/rio-2016-reveals-design-of-first-olympic-golf-course-in-over-a-century/156712

NY8123
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Apparently golf will be in the 2016 games in Rio.

http://www.olympic.org/news/rio-2016-reveals-design-of-first-olympic-golf-course-in-over-a-century/156712

This actually makes me happy. Thanks for the link Lou!

NY8123
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I cannot believe it is almost labor day, I have on last Golf Tournament to play and then the clubs probably will get hung up for the year wtf???

LouPhinFan
08-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I cannot believe it is almost labor day, I have on last Golf Tournament to play and then the clubs probably will get hung up for the year wtf???

Time flies. But at least football is here. Or whatever the Dolphins are calling that crap they put on the field.

Tunaphish429
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
We had a great summer here upstate NY, cant complain at all..I am sure the decent weather will continue until Oct

NY8123
09-12-2012, 01:55 PM
We had a great summer here upstate NY, cant complain at all..I am sure the decent weather will continue until Oct

Nope no complaints, the summer here was great in upstate. It just wasn't a golfing summer lol, I was so damn busy with other stuff I didn't have time. I played a captain and crew last weekend and finished in second. I hope to get out once or twice more before it's time to hang em' up.

NY8123
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
As much as I have the paintball bug, the golf bug is biting too!!! Augusta in April gets me going every time and it won't be long before the clubs are in the back of the Tahoe for this year! Gotta get to the range and brush the winter rust of the ol' swing.

Tiger prowling at the Masters, it is going to be a great weekend.

fishfanmiami
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Sitting here watching the Open and watching a great setup for a final round shootout and I realized there has got to be some golfers here on Finheaven. The Open is shaping up to be a great finish and if the forecast holds the final round will be completely different, winds are foretasted to pickup substantially which changes everything about the way the course is playing this year.

I love the game, fell in love with it when I was in my twenties. I'm your prototypical bogey golfer, I can shoot lower than 40 on a good day but I tend to hover in the low 40's. So where are all my golfers at and what are some cool courses you have played?

Never noticed a golf thread before. Sounds like your game is about like mine. Low 40's for nine , mid 80's for 18.

When i lived in Mia i had a home at Casa del Sol across from Doral C C. Had a par 3 with a lake (and bass) in my back yard.
In Miami the president of the company i worked for was a golf freak and always entered me in celebrity golf events. I got to play with Tony Nathan once which was a blast. I also traveled a lot on business nationwide and always took my clubs.

On one occasion at a course in Riverside Ca i was forced to play with a threesome of Japanese businessmen who spoke little English and bowed when ever i hit a good shot. Golf's a blast.

fishfanmiami
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
One time me and a buddy drove up to Disney World in Orlando to play in a tournament at the course there. After the event we ended up at a lounge at the hotel talking to two gorgeous ladies.
Being gentlemen we invited them up to our room and soon separated into couples on separate beds. At this point one of the girls says how much you guys want to spend ? DISNEY HOOKERS what's the world coming to ?

NY8123
04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
One time me and a buddy drove up to Disney World in Orlando to play in a tournament at the course there. After the event we ended up at a lounge at the hotel talking to two gorgeous ladies.
Being gentlemen we invited them up to our room and soon separated into couples on separate beds. At this point one of the girls says how much you guys want to spend ? DISNEY HOOKERS what's the world coming to ?

That is ****ing funny. Disney hookers hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Yeah my games right with yours, I can have my blow ups and shot like ass but normally I'm right there in the low 40's and mid 80's for 18. I can also have those games that keep you coming back but those don't seem as prevalent as the blow ups from time to time lol.

Still laughing my ass off about the hookers.

fishfanmiami
04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Great Masters. Can not believe they played so well in the rain.

NY8123
04-25-2013, 02:47 PM
It was a great Masters. The penalty on Tiger was bogus in my opinion. If he had been short and hit the water fine but the poor bastard hit the flag stick, 99.99% of the time that shot ends up within 6 feet.

fishfanmiami
06-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Played the University of Georgia course today in Athens GA. Bubba Watson's home course.

NY8123
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm going to play Enjoy golf course sometime here soon. Home of the BC Open lol.

Danny6813
06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Just ordered one of them RBZ Rocketballz 3 woods.. Anyone play with one? Very excited to get it!

fishfanmiami
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Those are great clubs. i play the Big Bertha diablo woods. Not the longest but i hit them straight for the most part.

Just added this guy to the team

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/06/bigb_zps12bc6c06-1.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/fishfanmiami/media/bigb_zps12bc6c06.jpg.html)

fishfanmiami
06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Funny golf slang

A ‘Rock Hudson’ or A ‘Tom Cruise’ : a putt that looks straight, but it clearly isn’t
“Every frickin’ putt I’ve had today has been a Rock Hudson.”

An ‘Osama Bin Laden’ or A ‘Saddam Hussein’ : going from one bunker to another
“I bet you 10 bucks that Bob pulls a Bin Laden from that sand trap.”

A ‘Rodney King’ : over-clubbed
“I was so determined not to come up short that I Rodney King’d that 5 iron.”

An ‘Al Qaeda Camel’ : in the sand and sure to get f*cked
“Way to hit it into the short-sided pot bunker, you Al Qaeda Camel.”

An ‘O.J. Simpson’ : getting away with one
“Nice shot, OJ. Right off the trees and back into the fairway.”

A ‘Kelly Clarkson’ : chunky, but still working
“I Kelly Clarkson’d the hell outta my 8 iron, but I’m sitting just short of the green.”

A ‘Muhammed Ali’ : when you’re shaking over an important putt
“Did you see Joe pull a Muhammed Ali over that birdie putt?”

A ‘German Virgin’ : guten tight (that’s ‘good and tight’ for the phonetically challenged)
“You’re gonna like where that wedge ended up. It’s a real German Virgin.”

A ‘Rosie O’Donnell’ : just plain fat
“Sonnovabitch, another f*cking Rosie O’Donnell!”

A ‘Condom’ : it’s safe, but it didn’t feel very good
“I caught that condom right on the heel.”

A ‘Beyonce’ : a bit chunky, but still on the dance floor
“Stellar Beyonce, there Ricky. But I think you’re on the front edge of the green.”

A ‘Nursing Home Bus Crash’: a whole lotta nasty breaks
“I would’ve shot a 82 if it weren’t for the Nursing Home Bus Crash on the last 3 holes.”

A ‘Paris Hilton’: spoiled; wasted a good opportunity
“After bombing my drive I proceeded to Paris Hilton my approach shot.”

An ‘Elephant’s A$$hole’: it’s high and it stinks (usually for popped up drives)
“Wow, that’s a real Elephant’s A$$hole if I’ve ever seen one.”

A ‘Gay Midget’s Mouth’: it’s low and it sucks
“That bladed 7 iron reminds me of a Gay Midget’s Mouth.”

A ‘Danny DeVito’: an ugly little five footer
“I’ve got a Danny DeVito left to save double.”

A ‘Joe Pesci’: a mean little five footer
See above

A ‘Sonny Bono’: straight into the trees
“I snap hooked my drive on #2, Sonny Bono style.”

An ‘Elton John’: a big bender that lips the rim
“Man, I almost dropped that Elton John on #4 for a birdie.”

A ‘Pat Sajak’: too much spin
“I thought I had the perfect wedge in there, but I got screwed by Pat Sajak.”

NY8123
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I played a captain and crew tourney last Saturday and hit about 15 of those expressions of the list!

fishfanmiami
05-31-2014, 11:43 PM
http://youtu.be/NxLkEPb5DzI

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2014/06/happygilmore1o_zpsf92b678c-1.gif

fishfanmiami
07-25-2014, 12:29 AM
http://youtu.be/817gG-guNDQ

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Furyk had his best chance to win yesterday. All the big boys stayed home and he still let it get away on Sunday.

At least he didn't choke this time. He was outplayed.

Never realized how lucrative professional golf has become. I was at the Memorial this year on Sunday and watched everyone choke with million dollar prize on the line.
The winning prize wasn't what surprised me. It was the average money that the top 25 players make over the course of a season.

Take Ricky Fowler, only being a pro 5 years and a single career victory to his name. But he has earned over $13 million in 125 events played.
In fact if you look at most of the top players they all average about $100,000 per every event they play.
Tiger was just insane earning over $300,000 per event he has played.

fishfanmiami
07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
The money is insane and that's not including endorsements.

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Bridgestone Invitational this weekend in Akron. That's about 3 hours away.The Hall of Fame activities are this weekend also right in the same area. That would be an awesome Sunday, watch the final round during the day then go over to game in the evening.
And then forget work on Monday

fishfanmiami
07-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds like fun. I used to live next to Doral in Miami and went to that event every year. Always had a blast.
By the way good to see someone else posting here. Usually just NY , Danny and myself.

Fins1971
07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Golf is an awesome game. My second favorite to football.
Played a round on my chipping green tonight. One shot from 45 yards hit the pin and spun down to 6 inches from hole. I'm going to hole one eventually. Got golf league tomorrow. Hopefully practice pays off.

Fins1971
07-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not as good as you guys. 12 handicap striving to be bogey golfer one day. Played Pipestone today and shot 93 with 3 pars, My best buddy plays like you guys (8 handicap). We come to the final hole and we are both 86. Final hole is the hardest hole on course. You have to clear a giant dip and land on a high spot. Then clear a second dip to get a shot at the green. Tough par 5. Best I have done all year is 7. We both walked off with 7's. So tied at 93 we went back and played it again for a playoff. This time I finally managed a 6 but my buddy drained his 4 ft putt for par to put me down. Still an awesome day. I hit some nice shots today. I hit a 90 yard shot to within 12 inches. That got me one of my pars after a bad tee shot. Was right there with a chance to be bogey golfer and missed it by 3. Oh well still have some summer left.

fishfanmiami
07-30-2014, 12:54 AM
You fit right in. I'm usually under boogie golf but not by much although I've had a couple of really good rounds lately. All comes down to the putter. Sometimes it works . Most times it doesn't.
With that course you set up out back your short game should be humming.

NY is good but he never gets the chance to play much. Danny's about the same as me so we're all close.

LouPhinFan
07-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Things are buzzing around the city right now getting ready for the PGA Championship. They just announced that all of the 100 top players in the world have committed to come to Louisville to play in it. First time ever in a major that has happened.

fishfanmiami
07-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I'll be watching. Do you play Lou ?

LouPhinFan
07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
I'll be watching. Do you play Lou ?

I do but I've only played once this summer (on the day before the Kentucky Derby). With little ones running around its difficult to get out, especially for nine on the weeknights. Once their old enough to take the sport up, I'm guessing that will change.

fishfanmiami
08-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Sergio is on fire. Never liked that guy and I'm hoping someone catches him. Rory and Richie still in the hunt.

Fins1971
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
#14 finally got Sergio. But 37 holes without a bogey is pretty damn good.

fishfanmiami
08-02-2014, 04:36 PM
the prick :chuckle:

is it wrong to enjoy it when these pros miss short putts because I do :idk:

To be continued tomorrow

Fins1971
08-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Sergio and Rory inspired me enough to play a round on my chipping course. Got my 1st hole in one at Zen Ridge. My 3rd try on the 1st hole (45 yards) hit the pin and dropped in. My game dropped off on the longer holes and I missed my course record by 2 points. Had another shot miss by 18 inches from 95 yards. Slowly getting better.

fishfanmiami
08-03-2014, 04:24 PM
:1st:

I've come close over the years but alas no cigar.

Rory is playing lights out and Sergio is stumping. Bradley also playing well. Expecting a great finish.

Fins1971
08-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Yep Rory is taking it to him.

What is the longest shot you have ever holed from not on the tee box?

A couple years ago I hit a good drive on a short par 4 and it trickled into rough. On the second I chunked it and it barely made back in the fairway. Now laying 2 and 140 yards away. Hit a perfect 3rd to a blind pin. When I went up my ball was in the cup for a birdie.
Never had a real hole on one on a course. Maybe someday

fishfanmiami
08-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Almost did it last week on a 600 yard par 5. Driver, 5 wood , 7 iron hit the flag , tap in birdie. That was from about 150 yards out. Been a while since I holed one from long distance.

Good battle to the finish. Maybe a playoff ?

nope Rory wins :hi5:

Fins1971
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Think Rory won most of the battle on the 1st hole. After hitting his drive in the trees that 2nd shot was spectacular.
Looks like he is in trouble but then he hits it low under the trees and 4 ft from the hole to start with a birdie.
Sergio felt the pressure after that.

I've tried that shot many times and never came close to even getting it on the green. Always end up short or swing too hard and hit a branch.
That was just about a perfect shot.

fishfanmiami
08-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Unbelievable how far those guys were driving the ball.

Have fun in merry ole England :brewskis:

Fins1971
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
That drive on 18 by Rory was 330 yards into 1 degree window. Distance and accuracy. He will be hard to beat this weekend.

Fins1971
08-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Golf league now. Get to play a real course. Wish me luck.

fishfanmiami
08-05-2014, 03:45 PM
best of luck :up:

Fins1971
08-05-2014, 08:40 PM
1st hole went well with easy 4 ft par. Then I shanked the drives on the next two holes and had to take penalty strokes. Then I par #4. Jekyll and Hyde. Bogey 5 and 6 and somehow I have a chance to break 50. Shank another on 7 for another penalty and that shot my round. When you don't hit your tee shot well it makes it hard to score. And when you don't hit them well and go into hazard that makes it almost impossible. Still had a great time on half of the holes. LOL

Danny6813
08-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Hey, sorry I missed out on this conversation. I want in on the next one! Enjoy your rounds til then fellas!

LouPhinFan
08-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Tiger showed up today and says he's playing. It doesn't matter, it's Rory's PGA to lose. Wish I could make it out there. I got offered practice round tickets for today but couldn't take them. My oldest sister and her friend went out there yesterday and my twin sister and her boyfriend have tickets for Sunday. I'm the one that actually plays golf in the family and I'm not even going this week. I am sad. :(

I can't wait to see how the PGA has changed the course. Its come a long way since I caddied there in the late 1990s. The PGA hadn't bought it at that point yet.

My dad used to ride quarter horses on that property when it was still a farm back in the 70s.

Fins1971
08-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Tiger showed up today and says he's playing. It doesn't matter, it's Rory's PGA to lose. Wish I could make it out there. I got offered practice round tickets for today but couldn't take them. My oldest sister and her friend went out there yesterday and my twin sister and her boyfriend have tickets for Sunday. I'm the one that actually plays golf in the family and I'm not even going this week. I am sad. :(

I can't wait to see how the PGA has changed the course. Its come a long way since I caddied there in the late 1990s. The PGA hadn't bought it at that point yet.

My dad used to ride quarter horses on that property when it was still a farm back in the 70s.

How far is your new house from the course?

I never realized how fun is was to go to a PGA event till I made it to my first. Reasonably priced even if you don't get the free tickets. Nice to have one of those events close by that you can take advantage of.

Fins1971
08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Subbed today in another golf league. At my work there are different leagues at different courses on Tuesday-Thursday since we have so many employees. The leagues all have different rules. The one I play in is basic. Low gross/ low net get recognized as well as any birdies. The other leagues are kind of anal. All kinds of rules and match play with handicaps. They make it too complicated. The game is supposed to be fun. We do have a league championship at the end of the summer to decide which league get bragging rights. It's pretty fun with a blend of all the leagues rules. Anyway back to tonight. I get to 1st tee and my group is talking about the par 3 adjacent to starting hole and griping about pin placement. Then as we are waiting to tee we can hear loud cussing from the group that is playing the par 3. When we got to the par 3 we made a gentleman a agreement to limit putts to 3 once you reached the green. I had a 30 ft putt and had perfect pace and ended up 4 ft from hole to the left. I mark my ball and place back on green and I have a hard time keeping the ball from moving. I barely miss the putt and it almost rolls off the green. Good thing for the 3 putt limit on that hole. I hate when they do that. Put the pin in an almost impossible position and make the hole unfair. Ridiculous!

Got a couple pars and almost sunk a 18 ft birdie

fishfanmiami
08-06-2014, 11:30 PM

With that history it's a shame you cann't get out there at least one day.

fishfanmiami
08-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Subbed today in another golf league. At my work there are different leagues at different courses on Tuesday-Thursday since we have so many employees. The leagues all have different rules. The one I play in is basic. Low gross/ low net get recognized as well as any birdies. The other leagues are kind of anal. All kinds of rules and match play with handicaps. They make it too complicated. The game is supposed to be fun. We do have a league championship at the end of the summer to decide which league get bragging rights. It's pretty fun with a blend of all the leagues rules. Anyway back to tonight. I get to 1st tee and my group is talking about the par 3 adjacent to starting hole and griping about pin placement. Then as we are waiting to tee we can hear loud cussing from the group that is playing the par 3. When we got to the par 3 we made a gentleman a agreement to limit putts to 3 once you reached the green. I had a 30 ft putt and had perfect pace and ended up 4 ft from hole to the left. I mark my ball and place back on green and I have a hard time keeping the ball from moving. I barely miss the putt and it almost rolls off the green. Good thing for the 3 putt limit on that hole. I hate when they do that. Put the pin in an almost impossible position and make the hole unfair. Ridiculous!

Got a couple pars and almost sunk a 18 ft birdie

Sounds like that practice is paying off. I use to play in lots of charity tournaments down in Miami that were best ball. Great way for everyone to have fun even if you are just getting into it. Whatever the rules it's still beats not playing.

Fins1971
08-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I used to play in lots of charity tournaments down in Miami that were best ball. Great way for everyone to have fun even if you are just getting into it.

Yeah we play in a couple of those each summer. Been getting fewer and fewer each year, only one this year. And it might be the last time for that one. This year was 25 year anniversary. But the committee are all retired now and want to pass it in to someone else. Not sure if it will be around next year.

NY8123
08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
At least I have played a few rounds this year, unlike last where I played two Capitan and crew tournaments and that was it. I think I am going to try and get out within the week.

Fins1971
08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Might try to play when I'm in England if I get time and the hurricane Bertha passes.

LouPhinFan
08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
How far is your new house from the course?

I never realized how fun is was to go to a PGA event till I made it to my first. Reasonably priced even if you don't get the free tickets. Nice to have one of those events close by that you can take advantage of.

My house is about 15 or so minutes away from Valhalla. But I don't get off the interstate at the exit the course is off of on a daily basis. Although I did drive by the entrance last night since I was going out to my parents' house. It was busy even though it was round 6 PM when I drove through. I think Tiger was still on the course at that time.

LouPhinFan
08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
With that history it's a shame you cann't get out there at least one day.

Growing up I lived on a farm not too far from there that also had Floyd's Fork meandering through it. That really is a pretty course and I'm glad the PGA bought it. It's a course that can support a large number of spectators so its perfect for any event they want to have there. Even if Sergio doesn't like the course, LOL.

Fins1971
08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Looks like Rory upgraded.....

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/rory-mcilroy-linked-irish-modelsinger-nadia-forde-after-night-out-dublin?xid=ob_news

fishfanmiami
08-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Wasn't he with a blonde last tournament ?

I believe Rory and Bubba are playing together today. Talk about monster tee shots. This is going to be fun to watch.
Early on Westwood is on fire carding a 65.

fishfanmiami
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Even if Sergio doesn't like the course, LOL.

He a bit of a douche bag to start with just getting his excuses ready for when he plays bad.

Fins1971
08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Wasn't he with a blonde last tournament ?

After dumping Caroline Wozniacki in May he is probably with a different one every night.

fishfanmiami
08-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Hoping for a Rory / Ricky finish. Going into Saturday it is a real possibility.

Lou the place appears in great shape and the crowds unbelievable with the weather you're having. Really an enjoyable event so far on TV and would love to be there in person.
Anyone notice how since Tigers not been playing well the crowds seem much more polite. You don't hear all the screaming after a shot.
It's more a golf crowd now and not just Tiger fans.I really noticed it last week when he dropped out. Don't get me wrong I love to see him play but crowds get crazy when he's playing well.The other golfers probably hate playing in his group with all the distractions.

http://youtu.be/aAyZZoalEaE

fishfanmiami
08-09-2014, 02:46 PM
They are going low today. Rory and Day getting ready to start play.

LouPhinFan
08-10-2014, 12:01 AM
So I ended up with this bad boy for the Sunday round. Free food and booze included:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2014/08/11DE065B26184C45915E174AB4310FDA_zps7lfh-1.jpg

fishfanmiami
08-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Nice. :brewskis:

Have a blast and try to stay dry.

TheJetsBlow
08-10-2014, 03:48 PM
So I ended up with this bad boy for the Sunday round. Free food and booze included:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2014/08/11DE065B26184C45915E174AB4310FDA_zps7lfh-1.jpg

Awesome enjoy!

uk_dolfan
08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Another major win for northern ireland.... you want us to give america some pointers?

We dont get to gloat about sports much lol

LouPhinFan
08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Another major win for northern ireland.... you want us to give america some pointers?

Rory is a classy kid. Good for him!

Phil-Ricky-Rory Sunday, you couldn't ask for anything better! Except maybe no downpours. The course was really, really soggy after that. My tennis shoes need a complete wash, but at least I had an air conditioned tent with free food and booze to wait out the rain in.

The pros assault the course with birdies and give it a "meh" rating when they come here, but cool stuff always happens on this course. To be honest, I understand their feelings on the course. It is gorgeous (hole 2 is my fav and where I spent most of my day today) but it's not even the most difficult course in Jefferson County. There's another course 5 or 6 miles away from Valhalla that is in a bit of disrepair but when it was in top notch shape, it was tougher than Valhalla.

I hope they bring the PGA back here in 2022. I think that's the next date that they don't have a course for yet.

MadDog 88
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Played several courses in Scotland last April and looking forward to getting up to Rory's neck of the woods in the next couple of years. Nothing like the links courses in that part of the world.

What a great back nine that was yesterday. Rory has to be considered a threat to passing Tiger in number of majors. Not sure he can catch Jack, or if anyone can.

MadDog 88
08-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Northern Ireland hosted the birth of another Rory that is in my opinion the most gifted guitar player to evergrace the earth. Though raised in Cork, Rory Gallagher was born in Ballyshannon.

fishfanmiami
08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Test drove a new Big Bertha Alpha driver at the Dick's sporting goods close to me. Nice club but all the hosel adjustments are wasted on me and the price tag of $350 is a little steep.
Maybe Santa Claus will surprise me with one if i'm a good boy :)

MadDog 88
08-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Test drove a new Big Bertha Alpha driver at the Dick's sporting goods close to me. Nice club but all the hosel adjustments are wasted on me and the price tag of $350 is a little steep.
Maybe Santa Claus will surprise me with one if i'm a good boy :)
This past Fathers Day brought me a Taylor Made SLDR. To say I was shocked is putting it mildly.

fishfanmiami
08-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Nice. Are there many courses where you live in Italy ?

SpurzN703
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I was really hoping Phil was going to pull off the win. I don't really like McIlroy. To me it seems like he walks around like his **** doesn't stink. Yeah he's a great golfer but keep the ego on the DL.

fishfanmiami
08-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Playing 9 holes today with a new putter. Hopefully this one works as my last one obviously has a manufacture defect.

:idk:

Fins1971
08-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Playing 9 holes today with a new putter. Hopefully this one works as my last one obviously has a manufacture defect.

:idk:

Good luck. Just a thought. Try chipping it closer to the hole and your putter will be much easier to use. LOL.

fishfanmiami
08-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Mixed results today. One nice birdie putt on a par 5 from about 15 feet.

Good luck. Just a thought. Try chipping it closer to the hole and your putter will be much easier to use. LOL.

Never thought of that. I'll try it next time :)

Fins1971
08-14-2014, 02:32 AM
Birdie, what is that? Been several months since I made one of those. It will take while to get used to new putter.

Fins1971
08-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Someone above must of heard me whining. 3rd hole today par 3 130 yards. Hit it to within 15 ft. Then drained the birdie. Drought is over. First Birdie in England.

fishfanmiami
08-15-2014, 07:30 PM
:brewskis:

nice

MadDog 88
08-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Nice. Are there many courses where you live in Italy ?
A few. Golf is not big in Italy. But there are several in the Wichita area. Can't wait to get my clubs and start playing them

fishfanmiami
08-22-2014, 09:34 PM
http://youtu.be/l_o9mICN5x0

would have been even better if he could have hit it close and got a birdie.

fishfanmiami
08-22-2014, 10:06 PM
A few. Golf is not big in Italy. But there are several in the Wichita area. Can't wait to get my clubs and start playing them

Sounds good. For some reason I thought you were still overseas.

fishfanmiami
08-25-2014, 11:07 PM
My boss phoned me today. He said, "Is everything OK at the office?"

I said, "It’s all under control. It's been a very busy day. I haven't stopped to take a break all day."

"Can you do me a favour?" he asked.

I said "Of course, what is it?"

"Pick up the pace a little ... I'm in the group behind you."

Fins1971
08-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Back in the States and at Golf league last night. Almost chipped in on a par 3 for birdie. Had a kick in par after it did a horse shoe.
Was hitting the ball well but left a lot of stokes on the putting green. 47 on the back nine is pretty good for me. Had a chance to cancel a couple double bogies but couldn't make the par putts.

Golf league championship is on Friday, Should be fun.

Fins1971
08-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Woke up yesterday with the goal of shooting a 95 in the league championship. My first tee shot went into the hazard and took triple bogies on the first two holes. Not a good start. But then started to get in a groove. Got 3 pars to help cancel the triples. Then needed to make 5 footer to save bogie on the last hole. Made it and whala 95 was my score. 1 under par with my handicap. I was happy. My partner shot a 94 so it was a good battle between us all day. He had an incredible hole on the back nine. Perfect tee shot on par 5, then a beautiful 5 wood right at the pin. The ball cleared a trap but stopped just short of the green in the fringe. He then made the putt from fringe for an eagle 3 on par 5. 3 perfect shots. I haven't seen that done in about 20 years. Lots of fun

fishfanmiami
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
How I celebrate making a birdie

http://youtu.be/2irc3X_z7bI

My golf partners are usually not amused .

Fins1971
09-06-2014, 09:49 AM
LOL, I'll have to remember that one.

fishfanmiami
09-08-2014, 01:56 PM
No feeling so bad about my ability to make a simple 6 feet putt now

http://youtu.be/bw69m8FxsD8

:)

Fins1971
09-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I was watching that. That was painful but it makes you feel a little better about it happening to you occasionally.

Fins1971
09-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Last day of golf league for the year. Started off with a triple once again. Gotta stop doing that. Sunk a nice 12 foot par. Missed another 5 chances from 4 to 12 ft for par and settled for bogies. Gotta stop doing that. Had some really nice chips including one tracking the pin from 40 ft. It hit and bounced off. I proceeded to miss the 4 ft par. In the end shot a 47 and beat my partner by a stroke,

fishfanmiami
09-11-2014, 11:23 AM
I've seen lots of deer and even alligators on the course but never this.

http://youtu.be/kMkWuXk11Uk

Fins1971
09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
That would make you think twice about retrieving your ball from the cup. LOL.

Fins1971
09-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Looks like Bubba Watson blew up today. Ah the pressure of playing for $10,000,000

NY8123
09-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I've seen lots of deer and even alligators on the course but never this.

http://youtu.be/kMkWuXk11Uk

My dumbass friends and myself included would obviously do the smart thing and hit every single golf ball in our bags at the bears lol. Of course with a wager.

Fins1971
09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Clutch Eagle by Rory to draw even. Hoersell was having some difficulty finishing the round.

fishfanmiami
09-16-2014, 12:19 AM
http://youtu.be/3PNsMXe170Q

Fins1971
09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
http://youtu.be/3PNsMXe170Q

LMAO

"Good thing I shanked that one"

"I'm chipping for eagle"

"I thought I had a par"

Fins1971
09-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Played a city course with 6 guys from work that haven't had enough now that golf league is done.
Played flawlessly except for one hole out of 9. Was just short of the green on a par 5 laying 4 and took 4 to get down after bad chip and 3 putt. Other than that all bogies and a par. Just missed a birdie by a couple inches. Ended up with 46 and my 4th straight round under my handicap. I'm ready for my matchup with buddies from Mississippi in October. Time to win a steak dinner.

fishfanmiami
09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Eliminate the one bad hole and you're right there. Sounds like you are getting better dude.

I see steak in your future.:eat:

Fins1971
09-19-2014, 09:00 AM
While golfing last night one of the guys in my fore some was having problems with his drives. On the 4th and 6th holes hit hit it right and into the hazard.
Sounded kind of strange on the 6th when he hit the ball. On the 7th he hit a straight shot into the fairway but the driver gave off a weird sound.
He looked down and his Taylormade Burner had a 2 1/2 inch crack in the face of the club head. He wasn't happy. Then he realized it was still under warranty.
He gleefully started saying "I'm getting a new driver"

fishfanmiami
09-22-2014, 05:22 PM
My buddy snapped the head completely off his driver a few weeks ago. I offered to let him use mine but he insisted on playing with a 3 wood the final 9 holes. Probably the best 9 holes he's ever played. He got the driver repaired but now he seldom uses it except on long par 4' and 5's.

What a ****ty weekend. Lost money playing Friday. Canes got handled at Nebraska Saturday. Fin's fizziled Sunday.:hsmash:

Fins1971
09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I played on Saturday and beat my buddy by a stroke on the last hole. High light of the weekend. Only 29 putts in 18 holes. Was chipping well and doing my bill horshell impression on 5 ft putts. Only missed one all day. Very windy and we played from the tips. Bad idea

Fins1971
09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
I did notice something that I can use to my advantage in the future. When we were playing from the tips it forced my playing partners to many more short chips around the greens on par 4's
Normally they would put their second shot on the green and be putting for birdie from white tees. But with the added distance they were forced to chip from around the green on most of the par 4's. Since I usually am chipping on 3rd shot it was an equalizer. My chip was slightly longer but still within the range that I practice at home.

So anytime I play for money in the future I'm going to suggest that we play from the tips to make up for my distance disadvantage.

slk018
09-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Just found this thread!
I have been playing a lot of golf for about two years now. Never played growing up in Florida bc I was always fishing or diving.
Now that I live in Atlanta I play about every weekend.
I played at Barnsley Gardens yesterday for John Rocker charity for homeless vets. It was a great time and a beautiful course. Even better everything was free (work sponsored)
I recently have been shooting mid 80's pretty consistently. I mixed in an 83 a few weeks ago and an 89 last week..

slk018
09-26-2014, 01:25 PM
also, I saw the hole in one question- I have never gotten one, closest was about a foot on a short par 3 (125 way down hill)
I did however, about a 6 months ago get a double eagle! I drained a 3 wood from right at 250 at St Marlo (a course north of Atlanta about 45 minutes)

fishfanmiami
09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Welcome. I played the UGA course and the Georgia club last year. I'm down in Macon but a good friend has a daughter attending UGA so we get her student discount there.

Fins1971
09-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the thread, double eagle beats a hole in one. Requires 2 perfect shots. Good job. Never played in GA. Played in Tupelo, MS when I lived there.

LouPhinFan
09-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Rose went bonkers this morning and its not like Watson/Kuchar played poorly either.

fishfanmiami
09-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the thread, double eagle beats a hole in one. Requires 2 perfect shots. Good job. Never played in GA. Played in Tupelo, MS when I lived there.

I have relatives in Pontotoc a short drive from there. It was a dry county last time I was there so for a beer we had to drive to Tupelo.

Rose cooled off a little but the Americans are down 4 going into singles tomorrow.

Fins1971
09-27-2014, 05:15 PM
I have relatives in Pontotoc a short drive from there. It was a dry county last time I was there so for a beer we had to drive to Tupelo.

Rose cooled off a little but the Americans are down 4 going into singles tomorrow.

When I lived in Mississippi all the beer was watered down. 3.2
We used to drive up to Tennessee state line and get the real stuff

fishfanmiami
09-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Last time we visited there one of my cousins had hit it big in Tunica at the casinos. He quit his job figuring he was set for life with 20 grand after taxes :lol:

All my relatives there are farmers or truck drivers. Their rigs are nicer than their homes in most cases.

slk018
09-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Me and a buddy teed off at 5 pm Saturday at Mystery Valley in Stone Mountain, Ga. We got in 13 holes before dark. Bad scoring, playing fast first time at the course. Lots of strokes from little things like hitting a perfect drive over a hill and not knowing there is water there etc.
It was a longer course so it forced me to not hit 3 wood off tee all day, so I made an adjustment and hit most fairways.
I use 3 wood a lot unless its 420 or more. My 3 wood is right around 250 off tee, driver is about 270 (but obviously not as consistent as 3 wood) so it isn't much distance difference for me.

Patrick Reed was a bright spot for the US in Ryder cup. Man this golf bug has me. To think I hated golf until 3 years ago...

fishfanmiami
09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Get it in now Slk. Another month or so and all the green grass will be gone and we are playing winter rules
At least no snow to deal with in GA like the guys up north who basically put away the clubs till spring. :idk:

Fins1971
09-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Yep, living in Ohio you just starting getting in a rhythm and it is time to put the clubs away. Gotta move south soon