PDA

View Full Version : Canada Banned Fox News

rob19
08-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Because they have laws forbidding lying on broadcast news.

http://www.skepticmoney.com/fox-news-banned-from-canada-law-forbids-lying-on-broadcast-news/

Canada’s Radio Act (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/statutes-lois.htm) requires that “a licenser may not broadcast … any false or misleading news.”

Harper’s attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television are a stark admission that right-wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public.

How epic is this....

Eshlemon
08-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Lol at the epic hypocrisyy over disciminitation of false news and bias from both sides on this in Canada...

Canadian’s Keep Ban on “False News” – MSNBC Loses Last Hope

Last week, the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission (CTRC) killed a decade old inquiry into whether the long-time ban against false or misleading news should stand.

Despite a misleading (a.k.a. false?) publication on HuffPo, The original request to review the policy came from a parliamentary committee more than ten years ago, not the current Conservative Prime Minister.

http://www.conservativedailynews.com/2011/03/canadians-keep-ban-on-false-news-msnbc-loses-last-hope/

NY8123
08-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Do people really watch the news on TV anymore? It takes too much time, why not just hit up the Internet and read whatever the hell you want too because we all know everything on the Internet is true, right?

Gonzo
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
They don't want broadcasts over public (i.e. taxpayer-funded) airwaves used for political propaganda. I don't see how that is a bad thing. MSNBC and Fox are both nothing more than propaganda machines. They both play a huge role how insanely divided this country is today and how it's next to impossible to work together to accomplish anything. It's nowhere near as bad in Canada and they are rightfully trying to keep it that way.

Locke
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
They don't want broadcasts over public (i.e. taxpayer-funded) airwaves used for political propaganda. I don't see how that is a bad thing. MSNBC and Fox are both nothing more than propaganda machines. They both play a huge role how insanely divided this country is today and how it's next to impossible to work together to accomplish anything. It's nowhere near as bad in Canada and they are rightfully trying to keep it that way.

I can't see how anyone can see this as a bad thing. Why is making it illegal to lie and promote propaganda a negative thing. I mean, unless you're the one benefiting from it...

Dogbone34
08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I guess they need to shut it all down then.

All television broadcast is a business model.

Eshlemon
08-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Yes, just government propaganda by whoever's in power. This isn't a new law, came under review after the Canadian supreme court ruled a sick holocoust denier still has free speech. Which is why the department and regulators won't act on anything anyhow, to big a chance they could lose their jobs if someone takes it to the Canadian Supreme Court. Besides, how many in Canada don't get their TV from cable or satellite TV where both FNC and MSNBC are on in Canada? And as for radio, sure it'd be nice if Rove and Franken and Stern shock jocks didn't speak on radio to some...but not right to ban them from it.

phinfan3411
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I would like an update on this, if true for the reasons stated, that would be something.

However, you can't get any closer to Canada, without actually living there than I am, and AFAIK they still have Fox News.

So, what is the scoop?