PDA

View Full Version : So... David Amerson then?

MP-Omnis
08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
With Vontae's departure, do you think we'll be drafting CB in the first round again? I looked at some mocks and David Amerson is the first off the board. What are the odds we pick him and how's he look as a prospect?

MiamiDolphin618
08-26-2012, 08:13 PM
With Vontae's departure, do you think we'll be drafting CB in the first round again? I looked at some mocks and David Amerson is the first off the board. What are the odds we pick him and how's he look as a prospect?
I don't think we will be taking a CB in the 1st. Realistically...we are going to be picking in the top 10, maybe top 5...and to me there are going to be far superior players on the board than Amerson...or any other CB for that matter. I don't see any Mo Claiborne, Patrick Peterson type impact corners. Obviously that could change if one of these top guys takes some strides. I think we will be in prime position to land a dominant pass rusher or a legitimate threat at WR

finsfanjay13
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM
In my opinion, Amerson is a damn ball hawk. From what I've seen of him so far, I'd have no issues with him on the Dolphins.

MP-Omnis
08-27-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't think we will be taking a CB in the 1st. Realistically...we are going to be picking in the top 10, maybe top 5...and to me there are going to be far superior players on the board than Amerson...or any other CB for that matter. I don't see any Mo Claiborne, Patrick Peterson type impact corners. Obviously that could change if one of these top guys takes some strides. I think we will be in prime position to land a dominant pass rusher or a legitimate threat at WR

Thing is... if we're really in rebuilding mode, the "Trade Vontae" plan could mean Ireland's ideal situation would be to trade down and still land Amerson.

BlueFin
08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
If we do end up with the first pick, and we don't need Barkley...we are in great position for a huge trade down.

MiamiDolphin618
08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
If we do end up with the first pick, and we don't need Barkley...we are in great position for a huge trade down.
Most certainly...even at #2 someone could come up wanting Logan Thomas. I hope we aren't in that position as a fan...but if we are it could be the way to turn it around. If you pull off a Griffin-esque trade...then all of a sudden we have a top 10 pick..3 2nd rounders..2 3rd rounders...and a whole lot of cap space. Not to mention an additional 1st in 2014. That is how you build a team. Like I said..I hope we pull some nonsense off this year and somehow be relevant..but if not it we should hope we are in that type of situation.

TedSlimmJr
08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Amerson certainly has some ball skills that are uncoachable. The question is going to be regarding whether or not he'll need to be moved to safety. He plays virtually no man coverage techniques and scouts are going to want to see if he can transition properly and evaluate the stiffness in his hips. His height gets awful close to the cut-off point for effectively playing the CB position. I'm not going to be surprised when he struggles a lot with staying low in his backpedal and transitioning once scouts are able to get him isolated in DB drills. I believe Coach Archer's scheme at N.C. State keeps Amerson playing in soft zone with that 8-10 yard cushion for a reason.

Either way, I think you worry about where his best fit in the secondary is at a later point. You don't ever turn your nose up completely at elite ball skills. I don't think he'll be a top 10 pick. That's reserved for CB's who are elite in man coverage and can be left out on an island in aggressive pressure schemes.

Valandui
08-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Amerson certainly has some ball skills that are uncoachable. The question is going to be regarding whether or not he'll need to be moved to safety. He plays virtually no man coverage techniques and scouts are going to want to see if he can transition properly and evaluate the stiffness in his hips. His height gets awful close to the cut-off point for effectively playing the CB position. I'm not going to be surprised when he struggles a lot with staying low in his backpedal and transitioning once scouts are able to get him isolated in DB drills. I believe Coach Archer's scheme at N.C. State keeps Amerson playing in soft zone with that 8-10 yard cushion for a reason.

Either way, I think you worry about where his best fit in the secondary is at a later point. You don't ever turn your nose up completely at elite ball skills. I don't think he'll be a top 10 pick. That's reserved for CB's who are elite in man coverage and can be left out on an island in aggressive pressure schemes.

We need safety help too. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Fin_Frenzy_84
08-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Dont get me wrong I really want a receiver in the first but then again Amerson is no joke... 6'3 corner who had 13 interceptions!!!! Corner is a need but obviously WR is a much bigger need but I still dont think I would pass on Amerson

SMadison29
08-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Amerson is not off to a good start. Not even finished the first quarter of the first game & he's already been beat for two loooong TDs & neither one was by Justin Hunter. He doesn't appear to have good speed or recovery speed. So far it seems he's been overrated because of his 13 ints last year.

SMadison29
08-31-2012, 08:28 PM

His stiff hips & slow back pedal were very apparent in the 72 yard touchdown he allowed to Zach Rogers.

Cordarrelle Patterson just ran past him on an end around for another TD. Amerson just doesn't appear to have the speed to stay at corner.

Fin_Frenzy_84
08-31-2012, 08:56 PM
His stiff hips & slow back pedal were very apparent in the 72 yard touchdown he allowed to Zach Rogers.

Cordarrelle Patterson just ran past him on an end around for another TD. Amerson just doesn't appear to have the speed to stay at corner.

Yeah he is getting scorched today

TedSlimmJr
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I knew it was coming. He struggles to transition and plays no man coverage techniques for a reason. It was evident watching his sophomore tape.

He got absolutely smoked on two stock 9-routes tonight for touchdowns. He doesn't even backpedal at all. He stands flat footed and jumps hitches. That's how he got 13 interceptions last year.

He also got used on 2 square in routes. He didn't defend a single pass the entire game.