PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady: The League's Biggest Draft Blunder

TedSlimmJr
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm going to make this thread because I think people need to see what a great college quarterback is supposed to look like. I will fill this thread full of vintage Tom Brady games from his time at Michigan. Not highlights. Full games in their entirety. I think people need to see exactly how clutch this guy was.

Pay attention to his body language when he breaks the huddle. Take clear notice of his mechanics from his footwork dropping back from under center, to the decisions he makes. Watch him go through his progressions. Take specific notice of his ball handling on play action, ball placement and accuracy on every throw that an NFL quarterback is asked to make. Take note of his ability to diagnose coverages pre-snap.

All of this should be clear and concise as you take the time to watch these games. Again, they're full games, so they'll take some time to watch. Watch his pocket presence and the way he deals with pressure.

Most of all, I want you to notice how he RESPONDS after he makes a mistake or throws an interception. I want the numerous people who never watched this guy play in college to see precisely how clutch Tom Brady was.

Yes, a 6th round pick is the standard by which I measure college quarterbacks. This is what a franchise signal caller is supposed to look like before they take a snap in the NFL. This is as close to perfect as you can play the position in my opinion.

Brady led Michigan back from 14 point deficits in this game TWICE.

2000 Orange Bowl vs. Alabama: (1st half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lPBGDzuVk4

(2nd half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8KTaJNCU0M

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
1999 Michigan vs. Ohio State: (1st Half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8dS0v8uKPY&feature=relmfu

(2nd Half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflmkG_sEd0

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 09:12 AM
1999 Michigan vs. Penn St.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdmavookY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWu3rrP-lfM&feature=watch_response

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 09:25 AM
1999 Michigan vs. Purdue: (condensed)

This was a matchup of two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks between Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Brady puts a thorough drubbing on Brees and the Boilermakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n44W3eDj80

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
1999 Citrus Bowl - Michigan vs. Arkansas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItoIwev5_9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfwgGtv8Th4

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Brady demonstrates incredible poise again on the road in a rockin' Camp Randall Stadium.

1999 Michigan vs. Wisconsin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2KjXGjXKg

jamvinny
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Great work Ted and thank you for putting up these films.

Off topic question here for you Ted. Can you recommend any good factual book titles about football in the Southern states. I want to get a flavour of how high school/college football is an integral part and way of life in the south. Thank you

ChambersWI
08-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Llyod Carr has gone on record stating that the biggest mistake he ever made was having Brady split reps with Drew Henson early in Henson's career. Now Henson is another case in itself (Dude was mega hyped as a QB prospect before he got drafted by the Yankees), but Lloyd feels that had he just kept Brady as the starter instead of splitting time, he could've/would've won another National Title. Michigan's offense was still extremely stacked while Brady was there.

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Great work Ted and thank you for putting up these films.

Off topic question here for you Ted. Can you recommend any good factual book titles about football in the Southern states. I want to get a flavour of how high school/college football is an integral part and way of life in the south. Thank you

"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John is a good start...

I'd also recommend the book "Friday Night Lights" to get an idea about high school football.

Any of the books on Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant would also be good, particularly his autobiography if you can get your hands on it.

LouPhinFan
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
In the "Football and Decision Making" chapter of his book The Essential Smart Football, Chris Brown talks alot about Brady. He mentions how Brady was reviewing game tape with another author and after a clip of Brady completing a pass, the author asked him why he threw it to that particular receiver. Brady just said "I just felt like he was open." The author asked, "That's it? And Brady answered "That's it".

The rest of the chapter talks about athletic intelligence and how the really good athletes, no matter the sport or position really have that intelligence and reaction where basically thought and action are one and the same. The athlete's thoughts and decisions in the heat of battle are reactionary, almost raw instincts. I think that sums up Tom Brady. He's not the most physically gifted quarterback to every throw a spiral but he oozes athletic intelligence and enough intangibles for 4 quarterbacks.

I put him in that same class with the best there's ever been at sports. They all have that "thing". That thing that you have no idea what it is but it just makes them great, beyond their physical gifts. Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Bobby Jones, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Federer, Nicholas all make the list. They do or have done things that almost make you think they're not human.

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
1999 Michigan vs. Indiana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWhiccUoT0&feature=related

TedSlimmJr
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
The following week versus Northwestern....

1999 Michigan vs. Northwestern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMFjdq4SOE&feature=related

WVDolphan
08-29-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/08/51tGgPrAnFL_BO2204203200_PIsitbstickerar-1.jpg (http://www.finheaven.com/gp/reader/0345478010/ref=sib_dp_pt/175-5690974-7618610#reader-link)http://www.amazon.com/Good-Want-Champions-Tips-Succeed/dp/0345478010

Not particularly about football in the South, but Ive read quite a few number of biographies, autobiographies, and sports books in general. This is still the best I have ever read. Great info that you can apply to your own life and profession as well as some great football strategy.

jamvinny
08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John is a good start...

I'd also recommend the book "Friday Night Lights" to get an idea about high school football.

Any of the books on Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant would also be good, particularly his autobiography if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks TedSlimm. Now on to watching Brady.:)

jamvinny
08-29-2012, 05:53 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/08/51tGgPrAnFL_BO2204203200_PIsitbstickerar-1.jpg (http://www.finheaven.com/gp/reader/0345478010/ref=sib_dp_pt/175-5690974-7618610#reader-link)http://www.amazon.com/Good-Want-Champions-Tips-Succeed/dp/0345478010

Not particularly about football in the South, but Ive read quite a few number of biographies, autobiographies, and sports books in general. This is still the best I have ever read. Great info that you can apply to your own life and profession as well as some great football strategy.

Appreciate the recommendation WV.

Will check it out as I'm not as bitter about Saban as some folk are on here.

Roman529
09-06-2012, 01:46 AM
If Drew Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt for the Patriots, who is to say that Tom Brady may not have ended up being like Brady Quinn? Sometimes great QB's get stuck with crappy teams and never amount to much. Sometimes they get stuck with crappy coaches, instead of with a coach like Belichick or Bill Walsh. Lots of things have to go right. Most experts didn't think Brady would turn out to be more than a backup QB in the NFL, but you also cannot measure things like desire and effort, and football intelligence.

dlockz
09-06-2012, 03:47 AM
The reason players like Brady get overlooked in draft has too much to do with combines and pro days. how scouts ignore 4 years of actual game film for how someone runs , throws and catches in shorts is beyond stupid. The combine and such should be to confirm what you think you have seen on film, this is why players like Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn get taken too high.

Wildbill3
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
The reason players like Brady get overlooked in draft has too much to do with combines and pro days. how scouts ignore 4 years of actual game film for how someone runs , throws and catches in shorts is beyond stupid. The combine and such should be to confirm what you think you have seen on film, this is why players like Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn get taken too high.in all fairness to ted ginn, his family declined to participate at the combine, so we can only go off the game tape for them. but I guess the coaches tape was a bit different than the stuff we saw on tv, because on tv I think you only ever see them cheering in the stands.

ChambersWI
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
The reason players like Brady get overlooked in draft has too much to do with combines and pro days. how scouts ignore 4 years of actual game film for how someone runs , throws and catches in shorts is beyond stupid. The combine and such should be to confirm what you think you have seen on film, this is why players like Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn get taken too high.

Ronnie was actually a high riser even before that. He was seen as a more rounded player than Cadillac and many felt as their senior seasons went on, Ronnie would be better in the pros. Sadly, both were robbed of a lot of their assets due to injuries.

Ted Ginn is another issue, that I could go on a huge rant on that might get me banned. Short version, I watched Ted Ginn for 3 years at Ohio State. He had wheels, but he was extremely underdeveloped as a WR. A lot of his big plays came from bubble screens, reverses, returns, and the occasional deep pass from Troy Smith. I had seen Ginn completely taken out of games if a CB roughed him up a little bit. I got into fights with the old draft gurus because I said Ginn was not worth a 1st round pick. I thought he could be usefull if you used special packages for him (like Ohio State did) but he was not a pure WR.

dolphone
09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
In the "Football and Decision Making" chapter of his book The Essential Smart Football, Chris Brown talks alot about Brady. He mentions how Brady was reviewing game tape with another author and after a clip of Brady completing a pass, the author asked him why he threw it to that particular receiver. Brady just said "I just felt like he was open." The author asked, "That's it? And Brady answered "That's it".

The rest of the chapter talks about athletic intelligence and how the really good athletes, no matter the sport or position really have that intelligence and reaction where basically thought and action are one and the same. The athlete's thoughts and decisions in the heat of battle are reactionary, almost raw instincts. I think that sums up Tom Brady. He's not the most physically gifted quarterback to every throw a spiral but he oozes athletic intelligence and enough intangibles for 4 quarterbacks.

I put him in that same class with the best there's ever been at sports. They all have that "thing". That thing that you have no idea what it is but it just makes them great, beyond their physical gifts. Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Bobby Jones, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Federer, Nicholas all make the list. They do or have done things that almost make you think they're not human.

That's the famous "it". Some QBs have it, some don't. I don't think it's easy to acquire, if at all. I do feel you can "lose" it, if your confidence gets shattered enough...

You can learn technique, improve footwork, muscle up... but you gotta have that factor.

Regulus
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I watched a documentary on ESPN the other day called The Brady Six. It was interesting how they broke down all the QBs taken before Brady and what coaches thought of him.

TedSlimmJr
09-06-2012, 04:15 PM
If Drew Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt for the Patriots, who is to say that Tom Brady may not have ended up being like Brady Quinn? Sometimes great QB's get stuck with crappy teams and never amount to much. Sometimes they get stuck with crappy coaches, instead of with a coach like Belichick or Bill Walsh. Lots of things have to go right. Most experts didn't think Brady would turn out to be more than a backup QB in the NFL, but you also cannot measure things like desire and effort, and football intelligence.

Couple of things here... First of all, most of the football people inside the Patriots organization felt like Tom Brady had outplayed Bledsoe in training camp and earned the job to begin with, long before Mo Lewis hit Bledsoe and had his lungs filling up with blood.

Brady Quinn is a great example of the Notre Dame hype job, not an example of a great QB prospect. He padded his stats against the Service Academies, but was completely outmatched against a legitimate defense (LSU). If you watched Brady Quinn, it should've been obvious that he was too bulky and muscular in the upper body. It made his delivery stiff and rigid. He wasn't comfortable throwing into tight coverage because of his scattershot ball placement, and uncomfortable throwing with bodies around him in a muddy pocket. Brady Quinn wasn't even a great college quarterback, much less a great pro prospect.

Tom Brady was a different story. He set several Michigan school passing records despite only starting for what amounts to almost 2 years, and having to split time with Drew Henson. The reason Tom Brady fell to the 6th round was largely attributed to the way Lloyd Carr handled his QB situation. Brady did everything from a tangible quarterback perspective virtually textbook. It was all the little things and fine details of the position that he had already mastered. From an intangible perspective, he was one of the most clutch quarterbacks that has ever played college football. Week after week, game after game, 4th quarter comeback after 4th quarter quarterback.... he made it undeniable.

I watched him nearly lead Michigan to another come from behind win vs. Nick Saban's undefeated Michigan St. team in 1999. Michigan St. won the game due in large part to an amazing performance by Plaxico Burress' 255 yard outburst on offense, and Saban's complex schemes having Drew Henson's head spinning.

With Michigan State up 27-10, Lloyd Carr decided to go with Brady at QB and he almost brought Michigan all the way back. He finished 30 of 41 with 2 touchdowns and went 18 for 20 on the last two drives. He made David Terrell a top-10 pick. Brady threw every type of pass, long and short, touch and power. He was under tremendous pressure from Saban's defense, the same defense that has made nearly every quarterback wilt that had to face it, including Drew Brees when he was at Purdue.

The purpose of this thread was to give all those that didn't watch Tom Brady in college the understanding of exactly how brilliant Tom Brady played the quarterback position in college, and realize that this kid was never supposed to fall that far. It was a blunder by the entire league and its "experts".

The Patriots indeed were lucky that Brady was still available in the 6th round, but they weren't necessarly lucky that Tom Brady was a great quarterback. He was already great.

If anyone can sit down long enough to watch all this footage of Tom Brady and still come away with the assumption that he was a 6th round quarterback prospect, they might as well give up. You cannot play the position any better than he played it, or lead any better than he did at Michigan. His situational understanding of the game was far beyond what you see in college quarterbacks throughout the last decade, with only a few exceptions, mainly Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Andrew Luck.

Folks should be able to understand the differences between how Tom Brady played the position in college, and the way 98% of the college quarterbacks who came after him played it.... including numerous QB's who were inexplicably drafted in the 1st round. You couldn't have given a better example than Brady Quinn.

Stefins
09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Any way we can trade for this guy?

rev kev
09-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Without the famous "tuck call" you may be suggesting something completely different - This is an easy run at revisionist history but what the hay

1. It was a blown call that gave the Pats some belief and momentuim and belief and momentum is a powerful tool in pro sports - period we watch it every year with March Madness so then with a proper ruling who knows what might have happened to the Pats as a team looked beaten and would have faded out of the POs - Sure he still may have been a great passer, and very likley so, but he wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in the same breath as Montana

2. It is widely suspected that this "Spy Gate" was about how the D aligned against their O - and it was a super advantage over the Rams in the Superbowl, I mean heck if the QB knows what the D is going to that's a huge part of the battle right there

And while many of the NFL fans have forgiven and forgotten I know one former player not so gracious he would like to see an asterik next that SB win (I am confident there are others)

3. Funny thing is even with the Pats soft schedules - Brady hasn't won the SB since Spy Gate - yet he has been to the dance (so we have to tip our hat to that) I wouldn't blame him for the last Pats loss but he was rattled from the openning drive and he sailed one to an over extended Welker that would have salted the game away -

TedSlimmJr
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Without the famous "tuck call" you may be suggesting something completely different - This is an easy run at revisionist history but what the hay

1. It was a blown call that gave the Pats some belief and momentuim and belief and momentum is a powerful tool in pro sports - period we watch it every year with March Madness so then with a proper ruling who knows what might have happened to the Pats as a team looked beaten and would have faded out of the POs - Sure he still may have been a great passer, and very likley so, but he wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in the same breath as Montana

2. It is widely suspected that this "Spy Gate" was about how the D aligned against their O - and it was a super advantage over the Rams in the Superbowl, I mean heck if the QB knows what the D is going to that's a huge part of the battle right there

And while many of the NFL fans have forgiven and forgotten I know one former player not so gracious he would like to see an asterik next that SB win (I am confident there are others)

3. Funny thing is even with the Pats soft schedules - Brady hasn't won the SB since Spy Gate - yet he has been to the dance (so we have to tip our hat to that) I wouldn't blame him for the last Pats loss but he was rattled from the openning drive and he sailed one to an over extended Welker that would have salted the game away -

This thread has nothing to do with any of that. Thus the reason for taking the time to place video of his play in COLLEGE here for hard-headed excuse makers like you to see exactly what type of quarterback he was before he ever took a snap. Belichick and spygate is for an NFL thread in an NFL forum, not here. There was no Belichick or Spygate at Michigan... he had Lloyd Carr.

Brady's accomplishments and statistics in the NFL are causational like all statistics and accomplishments are. None of it has anything to do with the type of quarterback prospect he was coming out of Michigan, which is what the purpose of this thread is. It has nothing to do with the Patriots or Bill Belichick or jaded points of view from Dolphin fans who've had to withstand a decade of being reamed out by him. It's not about any of that.

Rather, it's about trying to understand how the entire NFL missed out on one of the most clutch college quarterbacks that has ever been placed right under their noses. This guy wasn't losing games to the Appalachian St.'s like Chad Henne was.... he was leading comeback after comeback against the best defensive minds in football and throttling Heisman Trophy candidates and future HOF'ers like Drew Brees every Saturday. It's not a coincidence that one is going to the Hall of Fame and the other is a journeyman backup. Brady had to overcome his own head coach and his strange obsession with Drew Henson, and saved his job several times in spite of it.

The NFL missed on Tom Brady before he ever took a snap in New England, which is the point of this thread.

tylerdolphin
09-07-2012, 12:21 AM

You have to consider that Brady was a ridicuously lucky catch in 07 way from another SB, and very close to yet another last year, right? Its not quite the whole truth to simply say Brady hasnt won a SB since to make a point about his greatness.

Like it or not he has been to 5 SB and won 3.

ChambersWI
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
This thread has nothing to do with any of that. Thus the reason for taking the time to place video of his play in COLLEGE here for hard-headed excuse makers like you to see exactly what type of quarterback he was before he ever took a snap. Belichick and spygate is for an NFL thread in an NFL forum, not here. There was no Belichick or Spygate at Michigan... he had Lloyd Carr.

Brady's accomplishments and statistics in the NFL are causational like all statistics and accomplishments are. None of it has anything to do with the type of quarterback prospect he was coming out of Michigan, which is what the purpose of this thread is. It has nothing to do with the Patriots or Bill Belichick or jaded points of view from Dolphin fans who've had to withstand a decade of being reamed out by him. It's not about any of that.

Rather, it's about trying to understand how the entire NFL missed out on one of the most clutch college quarterbacks that has ever been placed right under their noses. This guy wasn't losing games to the Appalachian St.'s like Chad Henne was.... he was leading comeback after comeback against the best defensive minds in football and throttling Heisman Trophy candidates and future HOF'ers like Drew Brees every Saturday. It's not a coincidence that one is going to the Hall of Fame and the other is a journeyman backup. Brady had to overcome his own head coach and his strange obsession with Drew Henson, and saved his job several times in spite of it.

The NFL missed on Tom Brady before he ever took a snap in New England, which is the point of this thread.

Carr's obsession with Henson was... complicated. Dude was the best QB prospect to go to Michigan in a long time and had all the tools you look for in a QB... but he was also a good baseball prospect. Most Michigan fans (and as I pointed out before Carr himself) believes that had Brady not been pulled for Henson, Carr would have won another National Title. Of course, a lot of people believe had Henson not decided to go the baseball route Michigan would have won a National title as well

tylerdolphin
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Carr's obsession with Henson was... complicated. Dude was the best QB prospect to go to Michigan in a long time and had all the tools you look for in a QB... but he was also a good baseball prospect. Most Michigan fans (and as I pointed out before Carr himself) believes that had Brady not been pulled for Henson, Carr would have won another National Title. Of course, a lot of people believe had Henson not decided to go the baseball route Michigan would have won a National title as well

Im a huge Yankees fan so I can relate to any Michigan fan's frustrations with Henson. The guy was considered our elite blue chip prospect for years but just never quite put it together.

ChambersWI
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Im a huge Yankees fan so I can relate to any Michigan fan's frustrations with Henson. The guy was considered our elite blue chip prospect for years but just never quite put it together.

The thing is, after Brady left, Henson looked amazing. 16 TDs and 4 INTs. Strong arm, fast, athletic. After his junior year many believed that Henson would be the favorite to be the Heisman winner his senior season and the first overall pick. Hell Charlie Casserly, who was named the Texans first GM, stated after watching Henson against Ohio State that he would be the number 1 pick for the Houston Texans if he had stayed with football rather than David Carr (and he liked him so much he obtained his draft rights to use in a trade).

Many truly believe that if Henson didn't leave, he would've been an all time great QB both at Michigan and in the NFL. Instead, we got John Navarre.

Tannenballs
09-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Glad some of these videos are still up.. definitely going to have to watch a few.

Roman529
09-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Would Brady be a great QB if he was drafted by Cleveland, or some other crappy team, and not have Belichick and a great defense which got him 3 rings??? Brady was in the right place at the right time, was lucky Drew Bledsoe got hurt....was lucky the Tuck Rule went his way. I know it was not all luck but a lot it was just good timing.

What if Dan Marino had gotten drafted by the Steelers with their great defenses? Maybe he would have won multiple SB's? Lots of what ifs. To me greatness is often about timing and being in the right place.

TedSlimmJr
09-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Would Brady be a great QB if he was drafted by Cleveland, or some other crappy team, and not have Belichick and a great defense which got him 3 rings??? Brady was in the right place at the right time, was lucky Drew Bledsoe got hurt....was lucky the Tuck Rule went his way. I know it was not all luck but a lot it was just good timing.

What if Dan Marino had gotten drafted by the Steelers with their great defenses? Maybe he would have won multiple SB's? Lots of what ifs. To me greatness is often about timing and being in the right place.

Obviously you didn't watch Tom Brady play in college. Nor did you bother to watch the videos.

The entire point of the thread was to illustrate for those who didn't already know, just how good of a QB prospect Tom Brady was before any of that "luck" ever happened. Whether he would've been good in Cleveland or whether Marino would've been good in Pittsburgh has nothing to do with anything. You'll never know any of that.

What we do know is how good of a quarterback Tom Brady was before he very mistakenly fell to the 6th round. It was all there in front of the league and anybody who watched him to begin with. He wasn't a 6th round quarterback prospect coming out of Michigan.

The rings didn't make him a great quarterback. He was already a great one. That's why he got the rings. His extremely advanced pocket mechanics, techniques, decision making, accuracy, and off the charts clutch ability to win is precisely what translated best to the next level in 1999. That's why he's statistically in the top 5 of every major passing category in NFL history with or without the rings. He's the same quarterback whether has 5 rings, 3 rings, or no rings.

I'll bet high that Belichek and that defense weren't winning 3 superbowls and going to 5 of 'em without Tom Brady.

Brady isn't lucky Drew Bledsoe got hurt. Bill Belichek and the Patriots are lucky Drew Bledsoe got hurt.

Roman529
09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Tom Brady was a different story. He set several Michigan school passing records despite only starting for what amounts to almost 2 years, and having to split time with Drew Henson. The reason Tom Brady fell to the 6th round was largely attributed to the way Lloyd Carr handled his QB situation. Brady did everything from a tangible quarterback perspective virtually textbook. It was all the little things and fine details of the position that he had already mastered. From an intangible perspective, he was one of the most clutch quarterbacks that has ever played college football. Week after week, game after game, 4th quarter comeback after 4th quarter quarterback.... he made it undeniable.

I watched him nearly lead Michigan to another come from behind win vs. Nick Saban's undefeated Michigan St. team in 1999. Michigan St. won the game due in large part to an amazing performance by Plaxico Burress' 255 yard outburst on offense, and Saban's complex schemes having Drew Henson's head spinning.

Yeah but you have to realize that Tom Brady was NOTHING at Michigan until his Senior season. Direct quote from Wiki:
1995-1998
Tom Brady attended the University of Michigan from 1995 through 1999. In the first three years (95-97) at Michigan he only played a limited role of backup quarterback (he began in 1995 as the seventh quarterback on the Michigan depth chart[3]). However in 1998 (his senior season), Brady received the starting quarterback job for the Wolverines and played in and started all 13 games. His stats were a decent 214 completed passes on 350 attempts (school record) for 2636 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions[4]

Tom had a good senior season and found himself in the right place at the right time, being drafted by the Pats and coming in when Bledsoe got hurt. If Bledsoe didn't get hurt in 2001, there is no Tuck Rule comeback win and instead of having THREE SB rings, he maybe has one ring or no rings. Some guys just don't get the opportunity. Look at Steve Young when he came out of BYU. He ended up in the USFL, and then went to a crappy Tampa Bay Bucaneer's team with no talent. Then he gets traded to the 49ers, where he was stuck behind Joe Montana for years. I don't think he started for the Niners until the early Niners. He eventually had a chance to start for a great team and made the most of things.

TedSlimmJr
09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah but you have to realize that Tom Brady was NOTHING at Michigan until his Senior season. Direct quote from Wiki:
1995-1998
Tom Brady attended the University of Michigan from 1995 through 1999. In the first three years (95-97) at Michigan he only played a limited role of backup quarterback (he began in 1995 as the seventh quarterback on the Michigan depth chart[3]). However in 1998 (his senior season), Brady received the starting quarterback job for the Wolverines and played in and started all 13 games. His stats were a decent 214 completed passes on 350 attempts (school record) for 2636 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions[4]

Tom had a good senior season and found himself in the right place at the right time, being drafted by the Pats and coming in when Bledsoe got hurt. If Bledsoe didn't get hurt in 2001, there is no Tuck Rule comeback win and instead of having THREE SB rings, he maybe has one ring or no rings. Some guys just don't get the opportunity. Look at Steve Young when he came out of BYU. He ended up in the USFL, and then went to a crappy Tampa Bay Bucaneer's team with no talent. Then he gets traded to the 49ers, where he was stuck behind Joe Montana for years. I don't think he started for the Niners until the early Niners. He eventually had a chance to start for a great team and made the most of things.

You're looking at paragraphs on Wiki. I'm asking you to actually watch Tom Brady play at Michigan. This was meant to be a learning tool, but it's not possible if one isn't willing to.

Those Wiki paragraphs aren't going to teach anyone anything. Nor does it give an accurate description of what the scenario was at Michigan.

Lloyd Carr completely mishandled the QB situation while Brady was there. They kept trying to stick Drew Henson in there and all he did was put Michigan behind in games. They'd finally stick Tom Brady in there down by double digits and he'd lead them to a comeback win or very nearly a comeback win every single time. I know because I watched it.

Henson dig the hole... Brady dig them out of it. Rinse. Repeat.

Until his Senior season when he was allowed to be the man. He led Michigan to a #5 ranking and a win over Alabama in the Orange Bowl where he led Michigan back from 14 point deficits twice. Him and Shaun Alexander were the two best players in the stadium that night, and it's no wonder they both went on to win MVP Awards and set single season records for TD's in the NFL. Brady was that good in college.

Refer back to my post #22 on page 3 of this thread. We've already had this discussion to be honest. Wiki paragraphs don't tell you why things were what they were. I've provided the videos of actual games. We can't have a discussion unless you actually see what was going on.