PDA

View Full Version : Jets 2012 Season Predictions

JETSJETSJETS
08-29-2012, 03:01 AM
I do this on the other Jets forum as well. Just want some rival opinions. Copy paste the template below and predict the Jets season.

1. Sun, Sep 9 vs Buffalo Bills ---
2. Sun, Sep 16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers ---
3. Sun, Sep 23 @ Miami Dolphins ---
4. Sun, Sep 30 vs San Francisco 49ers ---
5. Mon, Oct 8 vs Houston Texans ---
6. Sun, Oct 14 vs Indianapolis Colts ---
7. Sun, Oct 21 @ New England Patriots ---
8. Sun, Oct 28 vs Miami Dolphins ---
9. Bye Week
10. Sun, Nov 11 @ Seattle Seahawks ---
11. Sun, Nov 18 @ St. Louis Rams ---
12. Thu, Nov 22 vs New England Patriots ---
13.Sun, Dec 2 vs Arizona Cards ---
14. Sun, Dec 9 @ Jacksonville Jags ---
15. Mon, Dec 17 @ Tennessee Titans ---
16. Sun, Dec 23 vs San Diego Chargers ---
17. Sun, Dec 30 @ Buffalo Bills ---

Final:

JETSJETSJETS
08-29-2012, 03:06 AM
I'll start:

1. Sun, Sep 9 vs Buffalo Bills --- W
2. Sun, Sep 16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers --- L
3. Sun, Sep 23 @ Miami Dolphins --- W
4. Sun, Sep 30 vs San Francisco 49ers --- L
5. Mon, Oct 8 vs Houston Texans --- L
6. Sun, Oct 14 vs Indianapolis Colts ---W
7. Sun, Oct 21 @ New England Patriots --- L
8. Sun, Oct 28 vs Miami Dolphins --- W
9. Bye Week
10. Sun, Nov 11 @ Seattle Seahawks --- W
11. Sun, Nov 18 @ St. Louis Rams --- W
12. Thu, Nov 22 vs New England Patriots --- L
13.Sun, Dec 2 vs Arizona Cards --- W
14. Sun, Dec 9 @ Jacksonville Jags --- W
15. Mon, Dec 17 @ Tennessee Titans --- W
16. Sun, Dec 23 vs San Diego Chargers --- L
17. Sun, Dec 30 @ Buffalo Bills --- W

Final: 10-6, 2nd in the AFC, Wild Card

Kinzua
08-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The Jets have no offensive playmakers and no threats in the red zone. They have a QB who relies on check-downs because he cannot read defenses, holds the ball too long, can't find open receivers, and throws late too often (resulting in INTS, especially pick 6s). Their once dominant OL is mediocre at best but is hindered even more by poor QB play. The Jets have 1 NFL caliber WR, maybe 2 with Kerley, and a very raw rookie WR with stone hands. They have 1 decent pass catching TE who can't block for cow manure. The Jets cannot run the ground and pound with a non-dominant OL, mediocre RBs who can't hit holes quickly, break tackles, or make defenders miss, and without a blocking TE. They have a conservative, unimaginative OC with virtually no actual OC experience. They have a defensively-oriented HC who has delusions of resurrecting offensive game plans from the 1980s ... or the 1930s. :idk:

That's a recipe for offensive disaster, and no matter how great a defense the Jets put on the field, they are NOT going to hold many teams to only a TD and a FG in this day and age.

Kinzua
08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
I'll start:

9. Bye Week

The Jets won't sweep the Bills or the Fins. They won't beat Seattle, St Louis, and Tennessee. They are likely to win only 1 of those. They're about a 5 win team.

nyjunc
08-29-2012, 12:52 PM
The Jets won't sweep the Bills or the Fins. They won't beat Seattle, St Louis, and Tennessee. They are likely to win only 1 of those. They're about a 5 win team.

I'm guessing 1 win.

week 1 is out, going up against that Bills juggernaut w/ all their playmakers on offense and that great QB guiding them. Then their D- wow! mariop Williams and his 2 DD sack seasons along w/ mark aanderson and his garbage time sacks- too much for any O to handle. Not to mention the great Chan Gailey- if there is a better HC in this league I'd love to know who it is.

going winless is hard though we will try but I will say 1-15 w/ the 1 win coming vs. SL when Tim Tebow rescues us from 37 down in the 4th qtr.

JETSJETSJETS
08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
The Jets have no offensive playmakers and no threats in the red zone. They have a QB who relies on check-downs because he cannot read defenses, holds the ball too long, can't find open receivers, and throws late too often (resulting in INTS, especially pick 6s). Their once dominant OL is mediocre at best but is hindered even more by poor QB play. The Jets have 1 NFL caliber WR, maybe 2 with Kerley, and a very raw rookie WR with stone hands. They have 1 decent pass catching TE who can't block for cow manure. The Jets cannot run the ground and pound with a non-dominant OL, mediocre RBs who can't hit holes quickly, break tackles, or make defenders miss, and without a blocking TE. They have a conservative, unimaginative OC with virtually no actual OC experience. They have a defensively-oriented HC who has delusions of resurrecting offensive game plans from the 1980s ... or the 1930s. :idk:

That's a recipe for offensive disaster, and no matter how great a defense the Jets put on the field, they are NOT going to hold many teams to only a TD and a FG in this day and age.

The offense was mediocre or just below average last year, agreed. They didn't have a deep threat, so safeties were always roaming in the box as the OC would not take shots deep. They had one NFL caliber WR as Plax was old, slow and couldn't create separation. This year they have Kerley with some camp experience and a year under his belt. They have a deep threat in Hills, even if he has stone hands. It'll keep the safeties honest. It'll help the run game. RBs are pretty much the same since LT was pretty useless in NY last year and was really slow. The OL upgraded the RT spot, the biggest weakness that caused most of the offensive woes. Anyone in the league is better than Hunter, even kickers. Howard played lights out in the preseason, even if it was for one game. He took on Panthers best pass rusher and played him one on one for the most part and didn't allow a single QB pressure. As for Mark Sanchez not finding open receivers, he's completed many passes this year and when he had time, he delivered some great passes to WRs in the last game. Three drops, two of them would have been TDs and the third ended up as a tipped pass for int. With Fitz as ur QB, I really wouldn't be talking.

As for the defense, which you totally ignored, is bigger, faster and better than last year. We now have safeties (our biggest weakness in the D last year) that can punish TEs catching passes in the middle. We have Maybin, thank you very much. Coples has played really well too.

And the 80s offense you talk about, will only be a part of the gameplan...which btw worked last year in Denver in case you stopped watching football after first few wks, which is normal for a Bills fan.

JETSJETSJETS
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

When was the last time Jets didn't sweep Bills? Dolphins suck worse this year. Seattle will be a 6 win team. Rams won't do much either. Tennessee might end up being a good team, but we'll see. One thing I'll put my money on and thats sweeping the Bills.

Kinzua
08-29-2012, 06:00 PM
The offense was mediocre or just below average last year, agreed. They didn't have a deep threat, so safeties were always roaming in the box as the OC would not take shots deep. They had one NFL caliber WR as Plax was old, slow and couldn't create separation. This year they have Kerley with some camp experience and a year under his belt. They have a deep threat in Hills, even if he has stone hands. It'll keep the safeties honest. It'll help the run game. RBs are pretty much the same since LT was pretty useless in NY last year and was really slow. The OL upgraded the RT spot, the biggest weakness that caused most of the offensive woes. Anyone in the league is better than Hunter, even kickers. Howard played lights out in the preseason, even if it was for one game. He took on Panthers best pass rusher and played him one on one for the most part and didn't allow a single QB pressure. As for Mark Sanchez not finding open receivers, he's completed many passes this year and when he had time, he delivered some great passes to WRs in the last game. Three drops, two of them would have been TDs and the third ended up as a tipped pass for int. With Fitz as ur QB, I really wouldn't be talking.

As for the defense, which you totally ignored, is bigger, faster and better than last year. We now have safeties (our biggest weakness in the D last year) that can punish TEs catching passes in the middle. We have Maybin, thank you very much. Coples has played really well too.

And the 80s offense you talk about, will only be a part of the gameplan...which btw worked last year in Denver in case you stopped watching football after first few wks, which is normal for a Bills fan.

In the Carolina game, the Jets first team ran plays intended to make the offense be more productive unlike the previous preseason outings; it wasn't vanilla by a long shot. Howard looked better than Hunter because he got help the entire time he was in there pass blocking from Conners. Sparano left Hunter to face JPP all on his own in the Giants game. Yeah, Sanchez threw downfield some, but at least twice, on thirds and long, he threw his short to his check-down for 3 or 4 yards. That's what he's been doing his entire career, and defenses know it. Hill dropped one pass and deflected another one that resulted in an INT; a deep threat is only one if DBs respect his ability to catch the ball. The Jets running game was unimpressive. They couldn't punch the ball in from the 7 yard line against a Carolina team that's hardly a defensive juggernaut.

The Jets defense is NOT the problem. The Jets offense is. Big time. It will pull down the defense. If a team cannot field a decent offense, it's NOT making the playoffs from the AFC unless it wins a crappy division, which is what the Donkeys did last year. They won 8 games, and only took the division because Oakland lost their last game.

nyjunc
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
In the Carolina game, the Jets first team ran plays intended to make the offense be more productive unlike the previous preseason outings; it wasn't vanilla by a long shot. Howard looked better than Hunter because he got help the entire time he was in there pass blocking from Conners. Sparano left Hunter to face JPP all on his own in the Giants game. Yeah, Sanchez threw downfield some, but at least twice, on thirds and long, he threw his short to his check-down for 3 or 4 yards. That's what he's been doing his entire career, and defenses know it. Hill dropped one pass and deflected another one that resulted in an INT; a deep threat is only one if DBs respect his ability to catch the ball. The Jets running game was unimpressive. They couldn't punch the ball in from the 7 yard line against a Carolina team that's hardly a defensive juggernaut.

The Jets defense is NOT the problem. The Jets offense is. Big time. It will pull down the defense. If a team cannot field a decent offense, it's NOT making the playoffs from the AFC unless it wins a crappy division, which is what the Donkeys did last year. They won 8 games, and only took the division because Oakland lost their last game.

It was very vanilla and our starters badly outplayed Carolina's starters on both sides of the ball.

NYCBillsFan
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
4-12........ This team reeks of it.........

JETSJETSJETS
08-30-2012, 03:28 AM
In the Carolina game, the Jets first team ran plays intended to make the offense be more productive unlike the previous preseason outings; it wasn't vanilla by a long shot.

Jets offense was in scoring position five times. Three dropped passes killed two drives. A 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 stop by Carolina killed the 3rd drive. Penalties killed two other drives. Offense in general showed plenty.

Howard looked better than Hunter because he got help the entire time he was in there pass blocking from Conners. Sparano left Hunter to face JPP all on his own in the Giants game.

"-----By my evaluation, after studying the video, Howard didn't allow any QB pressures while playing with the starting unit -- a total of 21 drop-backs. Here's a breakdown of how he fared in different pass-protection situations:

Isolated vs. pass rusher -- 13 plays. On nine of the plays, Howard blocked DE Charles Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10527/charles-johnson), the Panthers' best pass rusher. He was on an island, left alone versus a guy making $76 million over six years. Howard held his own, showing nice lateral quickness on Johnson's outside rushes. Johnson had a knee scope in the offseason and he said recently he's still not 100 percent, so maybe that was a factor.

'Chipping' help vs. pass rusher -- Four plays. On the Jets' first play, Howard got big-time help from FB John Conner (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13341/john-conner), who blasted Johnson while leaking out on a pass route. It was like the Jets were trying to send a message, telling the Panthers they weren't going to allow them to do what the Giants did to Wayne Hunter the previous week. NBC's Cris Collinsworth, on the game telecast, picked up on that immediately. Conner chipped Howard's man on three other occasions.

Double team vs. pass rusher -- One play. They used Howard in tandem with RG Brandon Moore (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5116/brandon-moore) to block DE Antwan Applewhite (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10862/antwan-applewhite).-----"

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/14683/in-depth-look-at-howards-performance

Perhaps watch the game next time. 13 plays playing on an island against Panthers best pass rusher out of 18 accounted plays.

Yeah, Sanchez threw downfield some, but at least twice, on thirds and long, he threw his short to his check-down for 3 or 4 yards. That's what he's been doing his entire career, and defenses know it. Hill dropped one pass and deflected another one that resulted in an INT; a deep threat is only one if DBs respect his ability to catch the ball.

He threw where receivers were open. Previous three seasons, he'd force passes in to double and triple coverages and get picked off. As for Hill, I hope DBs don't respect his deep threat. It'll only be better for the Jets. Hill will make the toughest catches, while dropping one hitting him in the numbers. It's a mental thing. I know another player that had this issue. His name is Braylon. By the time he left the Jets, he became one of the most sure handed WRs in the NFL. He had just one drop in the entire 2010 season. Drops can be fixed.

The Jets running game was unimpressive. They couldn't punch the ball in from the 7 yard line against a Carolina team that's hardly a defensive juggernaut.

That I'll agree. However, we can't be any worse than last year. We had a few OL injuries as well that contributed.

I think this Jets D will be the best Rex is yet to field for the Jets. The way Coples has played in games, it just adds to the already strong D. The offense only needs to be average to win games. Thats how the Jets are built. Great D with average O. And as much as I hated the Donkeys and wanted Tebow to lose big time, they did beat Steelers in the playoffs, and that too with their offense. In fact, their D was average last year statistically, contrary to the popular belief.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

Sorry, not talking about the Bills here.

nyjunc
08-30-2012, 08:33 AM

You should know what a 4-12 team looks like, if you think this team wins 4 games you haven't been watching enough of the Bills the last decade +.

Kinzua
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
It was very vanilla and our starters badly outplayed Carolina's starters on both sides of the ball.

It was NOT "vanilla" in the least. Sparano was show casing his offense's "best" plays, including chip blocks to make Howard look better than he was. Furthermore, "badly out playing" a team that was 6-10 last season and still being unable to score a TD through 3 quarters when a team is trying desperately to do so is a big red flag IMO, but I suppose it's NOT very worrisome in that alternate universe that you inhabit.

SpurzN703
08-30-2012, 10:49 AM
15-1 with another AFCCG appearance cementing this team as the team of the decade

nyjunc
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
It was NOT "vanilla" in the least. Sparano was show casing his offense's "best" plays, including chip blocks to make Howard look better than he was. Furthermore, "badly out playing" a team that was 6-10 last season and still being unable to score a TD through 3 quarters when a team is trying desperately to do so is a big red flag IMO, but I suppose it's NOT very worrisome in that alternate universe that you inhabit.

he wasn't showcasing anything, yeah they gave Howard help on a couple of plays but most of that half he was 1 on 1.

6-10 a year ago, carolina is expected to be a playoff contender THIS YEAR.

Points in preseason do not matter, we moved it up and down the field. I'd be more concered if we moved it less and scored more.

SpurzN703
08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
he wasn't showcasing anything, yeah they gave Howard help on a couple of plays but most of that half he was 1 on 1.

Points in preseason do not matter, we moved it up and down the field. I'd be more concered if we moved it less and scored more.

Is it even possible to move less yet score more?

grogan12
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

For once why don't you have the balls call it?? What's the Jets record this season, make the call like big boy.

MadDog 88
08-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Pats 15-1
Bills 10-6
Jets 7-9
Fins 4-12

nyjunc
08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
For once why don't you have the balls call it?? What's the Jets record this season, make the call like big boy.

The guy who only shows up when things are going well for NE is calling me out who has been here every game win or loss for almost a decade?

I already gave my predicitoon, do a search and find it.

Vaark
08-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Cheatriots: 12-4
Jills: 7-9
Fins: 6-10
Jest 6-10

jetsknicks1
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Chip blocks on 4 plays, or did you miss that? The Jets offense is a concern and I hope it comes around. That being said, they won't need to score a bunch to beat the Bills. The D will keep your offense in check and I'm thinking 17 points will be more than enough.

MadDog 88
09-06-2012, 07:21 AM
It's amusing that the same guys who bashed the Wildcat in 2008 now embrace it like its a savior. :lol:

nyjunc
09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
It's amusing that the same guys who bashed the Wildcat in 2008 now embrace it like its a savior. :lol:

Times change.

For myself I still hate the WC but I kind of have to accept it since I don't have a choice.

Kinzua
09-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Chip blocks on 4 plays, or did you miss that? The Jets offense is a concern and I hope it comes around. That being said, they won't need to score a bunch to beat the Bills. The D will keep your offense in check and I'm thinking 17 points will be more than enough.

First off, your offense's ability to score 17 points in any one game remains a real question mark, and especially in this one.

Mark Sanchez has had success against the Bills in the past because the Bills did NOT have a pass rush. Well, they've got one now -- and they can collapse OLs with just 4 guys. Sanchez is the kind of QB who is a sitting duck for teams like that because he can't make pre-snap reads, holds the ball too long, and panics when he sees the rush coming from the right side.
Your RBs don't often make many yards on their own, and your OL doesn't open up big holes for them. They are NOT explosive, especially Shonn Greene who wouldn't be much more than a backup RB on many, if NOT most, teams in the league. Because Sanchez likes to throw short, I suspect that the Bills will play their safeties up close to the LOS, further bottling up the running game.
Whatever new "wrinkles" Tony Sparano puts into the Jets single wing, the Bills have probably already seen since Sparano is NOT a very imaginative individual, and the guy who actually brought the wild cat into the NFL is David Lee, who now coaches the Bills QBs.
While the Jets were impressive in red zone efficiency last season, they don't have the same reliable targets for Sanchez this season. Burress caught 8 TD passes last season, and there's nobody on the Jets who has shown any ability to step up and make up that production.

As for the Jets mighty defense, the last time the Bills played the Jets, they were crippled on the OL, didn't have their best player Freddie Jackson, and had some street FAs playing WR and they still put up 20+ points on the Jets -- and Stevie Johnson dropped the winning TD pass after leaving Revis stranded on his island. I don't think the Bills are intimidated by the Jets defense.

jetsknicks1
09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
First off, your offense's ability to score 17 points in any one game remains a real question mark, and especially in this one.

Mark Sanchez has had success against the Bills in the past because the Bills did NOT have a pass rush. Well, they've got one now -- and they can collapse OLs with just 4 guys. Sanchez is the kind of QB who is a sitting duck for teams like that because he can't make pre-snap reads, holds the ball too long, and panics when he sees the rush coming from the right side.
Your RBs don't often make many yards on their own, and your OL doesn't open up big holes for them. They are NOT explosive, especially Shonn Greene who wouldn't be much more than a backup RB on many, if NOT most, teams in the league. Because Sanchez likes to throw short, I suspect that the Bills will play their safeties up close to the LOS, further bottling up the running game.
Whatever new "wrinkles" Tony Sparano puts into the Jets single wing, the Bills have probably already seen since Sparano is NOT a very imaginative individual, and the guy who actually brought the wild cat into the NFL is David Lee, who now coaches the Bills QBs.
While the Jets were impressive in red zone efficiency last season, they don't have the same reliable targets for Sanchez this season. Burress caught 8 TD passes last season, and there's nobody on the Jets who has shown any ability to step up and make up that production.

As for the Jets mighty defense, the last time the Bills played the Jets, they were crippled on the OL, didn't have their best player Freddie Jackson, and had some street FAs playing WR and they still put up 20+ points on the Jets -- and Stevie Johnson dropped the winning TD pass after leaving Revis stranded on his island. I don't think the Bills are intimidated by the Jets defense.
The Jets offense is defly a big question mark and I'm curious myself to see what it looks like in a real game. I really think you are totally underestimating the Jet's D. We have what's probably the best CB tandem in the league, safeties who both hit hard and play the run well and a DL that I believe is much improved and can stuff the run.

JETSJETSJETS
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
The Jets offense is defly a big question mark and I'm curious myself to see what it looks like in a real game. I really think you are totally underestimating the Jet's D. We have what's probably the best CB tandem in the league, safeties who both hit hard and play the run well and a DL that I believe is much improved and can stuff the run.

But that doesn't count. Not on this board. On this board, its all about what you can do in the preseason.

DisturbedShifty
09-06-2012, 02:58 PM
But that doesn't count. Not on this board. On this board, its all about what you can do in the preseason.

Also on this board, two AFC Champions APPEARANCES is better than actually MAKING the Super Bowl. Just sayin'.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.

JETSJETSJETS
09-06-2012, 03:26 PM

So you overpaid for Williams. Good. We'll see how can collapse OLs with 4 guys. Houston couldn't do it. Maybe Bills have special powers.

Jets RBs have the same OL as last year. Shonn managed a decent 4.2 average while reaching 1000 yards. He also had to deal with injuries to himself AND the OL. I hope the Bills play their safeties up close. They do have two of the NFLs best corners.

So the guy who brought the wildcat in to the NFL, couldn't do sh*t with it in Buffalo, but the guy who ran the option offense so well last year, gets discredited.

Too much stock in to the pre-season games? FYI, four of Sanchez' 5 TDs against Bills went to Santonio and Keller.

Sorry, almost forgot about those TDs off turnovers (int from Jets own EZ, and Cromartie punt muff around Jets 25). BTW, Freddie didn't do sh*t to win the game even when he was there. In case you forgot, you got a nice 27-11 whooping (which included a trash time TD for the Bills).

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Also on this board, two AFC Champions APPEARANCES is better than actually MAKING the Super Bowl. Just sayin'.

It is better than not winning a playoff game in over a decade...or in some cases, not even making the playoffs in over a decade.

rainmaker1313
09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I'll start:

9. Bye Week

Jets are not beating the Seahawks!

nyjunc
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM

You used to be a great poster on here, now all you do is post nonsense. Can we get the old shifty back?

DisturbedShifty
09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
You used to be a great poster on here, now all you do is post nonsense. Can we get the old shifty back?

I don't post for your approval.

So now that I can see this has a poll attached to it:

6. Sun, Oct 14 vs Indianapolis Colts --- W
8. Sun, Oct 28 vs Miami Dolphins --- L
9. Bye Week
17. Sun, Dec 30 @ Buffalo Bills ---L

I will also say this, there is no way they do worse than Miami. I am usually a HUGE optimist with Miami. But I can not see an up side for THIS year. next year will be another story. I just hope I am wrong. On both counts.

SpurzN703
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM

He's only great when you both agree the Dolphins suck and the Jets don't?

DisturbedShifty
09-06-2012, 10:57 PM
He's only great when you both agree the Dolphins suck and the Jets don't?
That pretty much sums it up.

nyjunc
09-07-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't post for your approval.

So now that I can see this has a poll attached to it:

6. Sun, Oct 14 vs Indianapolis Colts --- W
8. Sun, Oct 28 vs Miami Dolphins --- L
9. Bye Week
17. Sun, Dec 30 @ Buffalo Bills ---L

I will also say this, there is no way they do worse than Miami. I am usually a HUGE optimist with Miami. But I can not see an up side for THIS year. next year will be another story. I just hope I am wrong. On both counts.

That's great and you shouldn't but you actually used to discuss football all the time, now it's just whining about the Jets. You are better than that.

Sammy11
09-09-2012, 02:00 AM
I think they are going to be one of the biggest busts in the NFL. 5-11, 6-10

jetsman
09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I think they are going to be one of the biggest busts in the NFL. 5-11, 6-10
You mean you HOPE they are.....big difference....:)

AphexPhin
09-16-2012, 06:21 PM
btw I went with 9-7. I think they'll be just barely better than last season