PDA

View Full Version : Suspected U.S. drone strike kills civilians in Yemen, officials say

Dolphins9954
09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
A U.S. drone strike targeting al Qaeda suspects in Yemen killed 13 civilians, including three women, three security officials in the restive Middle Eastern country said.
"This was one of the very few times when our target was completely missed. It was a mistake, but we hope it will not hurt our anti-terror efforts in the region," a senior Yemeni Defense Ministry official told CNN. The official asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The United States typically does not comment on reports it has used unmanned aircraft to target terror suspects, but is widely believed to be doing so in Yemen, a key battleground against al Qaeda.

Families of the victims closed main roads and vowed to retaliate. Hundreds of angry armed gunmen joined them and gave the government a 48-hour deadline to explain the killings, which took place on Sunday.

Eyewitnesses said that families attempted to carry the victims' corpses to the capital, Sanaa, to lay them in front of the residence of newly elected President Abdurabu Hadi, but were sent back by local security forces.

"You want us to stay quiet while our wives and brothers are being killed for no reason. This attack is the real terrorism," said Mansoor al-Maweri, who was near the scene of the strike.
The strike took place near the town of Rada in al-Baitha province on Sunday, Yemeni officials said.
A senior Defense Ministry official said the strike initially targeted two members of al-Thahab clan who lead the terror network's operations in the province. He said the militants were in a vehicle near the one that was hit, and fled unharmed.
At least 200 suspected al-Qaeda fighters are believed to be hiding in the province.
Earlier this year, militants occupied Rada and declared it as an Islamic emirate. But two weeks later, they evacuated the town after authorities released al Qaeda prisoners.
Residents are not denying the existence of al Qaeda elements in their region but say that misdirected strikes work in favor of the militant group, helping them recruit new operatives.
"I would not be surprised if a hundred tribesmen joined the lines of al Qaeda as a result of the latest drone mistake," said Nasr Abdullah, an activist in the district of the attack. "This part of Yemen takes revenge very seriously."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/03/world/meast/yemen-drone-strike/

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/09/PAK_drone_attacks_in_pakistan_c300x231-1.jpg

Tell this family Obama and the Dems are the lesser of 2 evils.

phinfan3411
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
This is what i actually find sickening.

How many threads, and how long were they 5-6 years ago on torture?

It was a hot button issue (one i have changed my opinion on since i have come to my senses on foreign policy), everyone wanted to debate this.

Now we have an administration that by many different sources is going crazy with this drone program, going after suspected terrorists, rescuers, and even the funerals for these people, and you are the only person that brings it up on this forum.

Neither party deserves anyone backing them up, all that leads to is what we have right here, i wonder where Obomber has his Nobel trophy?

Dolphins9954
09-04-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/09/obamakanyepeaceprizePNG-1.png

GoonBoss
09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
War is hard.

Innocent people sometimes get hurt.

The US does everything it can to prevent it, while most of our
opponants, promote human sacrifice.

It's never fruitful when innocents are harmed, but, what's preferable?
No war? That's not reasonable. There will be war as long as there are men.
If you wish for no war, smoke some hash, and jump in your flower van.
It's not going to happen.

What we're doing now is the most surgical, responsible wartime action ever.

It's irresponsible to say otherwise.

And, post all the hurt people, dead children, and stuff you want.
It doesn't refute the truth.

How many years did you spend in the US Armed Forces? I just want to
know, because we go through a ridiculous ammount of use of force,
graduation of force, rules of war, and rules of engagement training.

Dolphins9954
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Did we declare war on Yemen????

At least have the courtesy to follow the rule of law and the constitution and declare war which is REQUIRED!!!!

As for the US and Obama doing all they can to prevent innocent deaths.......tell that to the rescue workers and funeral crowds bombed by our drones.

GoonBoss
09-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Did we declare war on Yemen????

At least have the courtesy to follow the rule of law and the constitution and declare war which is REQUIRED!!!!

As for the US and Obama doing all they can to prevent innocent deaths.......tell that to the rescue workers and funeral crowds bombed by our drones.

We didn't as far as I know.

But, if they are seeking sanctuary, well, there you go. The war wouldn't follow them if they didn't go.

I'll stand tall and tell it to anyone that you want me to tell it to.

Dolphins9954
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
We didn't as far as I know.

But, if they are seeking sanctuary, well, there you go. The war wouldn't follow them if they didn't go.

I'll stand tall and tell it to anyone that you want me to tell it to.

Then why do we support al-Qaeda linked rebels in Syria and Libya?

Bomb "terrorists" in Pakistan and Yemen. (2 countries that had nothing to do with 9-11) While supporting, funding and even arming "terrorists" in Syria and Libya (Another 2 countries that had nothing to do with 9-11)?

How does this make any sense?

Meanwhile many innocent and civilians are killed regardless. Even if we just call them all militants too. Sure we get a good hit now and then. At what price?? Every article you read about these bombings and there is one common denominator. Outrage from the local people of towns and countries that had absolutely nothing to do with 9-11. Revenge is a very powerful human trait no matter where you live or who you are. And these bombings only feed into that and help the jihadist message if anything. Judging from the Arab Spring it seems that the Middle East has become more inflamed with hard-liners and fudamentalists getting more power. I don't see how this helps.

Make no mistake these bombings will cause more harm than good especially when we do dirty things like this........

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/05/u_s_drones_targeting_rescuers_and_mourners/

jguig
09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
In the Bush administration, Liberals were protesting in the streets because we got a few known terrorists wet. These were the guys who knowingly killed about 3,000 of our fellow Americans.

Now Obama is incinerating innocent people with drones, and there is silence from the Left. So long as he just keeps dolling out free stuff to the constituents, they keep quiet. Where is the intellectualy consistency and the moral compass? This is indisputable proof that Liberals have none.

Locke
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
In the Bush administration, Liberals were protesting in the streets because we got a few known terrorists wet. These were the guys who knowingly killed about 3,000 of our fellow Americans.

Now Obama is incinerating innocent people with drones, and there is silence from the Left. So long as he just keeps dolling out free stuff to the constituents, they keep quiet. Where is the intellectualy consistency and the moral compass? This is indisputable proof that Liberals have none.

I'm convinced that you're SnakeOilSeller's alt account, because he is the only one arrogant enough to make blanket statements about a whole group of people. Turn off Fox news for a few minutes and learn to think for yourself...

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Yeah, just don't mention Bush. That is a trap door you fall in. If you want to piss on Obama fine. But don't mention the name Bush for a comparison. Bush led us to war with a sovereign nation based on a bag full of lies. It cost over 4000 soldiers their lives and countless American soldiers were wounded and a lot of them crippled. In addition to that an estimated 100,000 Iraqi civilians lost their lives and countless were wounded and crippled and over 2,000,000 were driven from their homes.

Don't ever use the name Bush for any defense in an attack on Obama or a comparison.

jguig
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
You are ignoring reality. Trying to revise the past doesn't make it go away. Did you forget the protests? Cindy Sheehan? Protests in many cities? It wasn't conservatives protesting. Just like it's not conservatives as part of the Occupy movement who smear their own body waste on cars.