PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Speech and Factcheck.org

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Clinton threw out so many numbers that even Factcheck.org admittet

Former President Bill Clinton’s stem-winding nomination speech (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dnc-2012-bill-clintons-speech-at-the-democratic-national-convention-excerpt/2012/09/05/f208865e-f7a4-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_print.html) was a fact-checker’s nightmare: lots of effort required to run down his many statistics and factual claims, producing little for us to write about.

The findings were that he exaggerated on a couple of issues and used numbers which requires a recheck in couple years but essentially was accurate.

Republicans will find plenty of Clinton’s scorching opinions objectionable. But with few exceptions, we found his stats checked out.

http://factcheck.org/2012/09/our-clinton-nightmare/

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
In my opinion he totally killed the RNC and all the speakers there. Just based on the speech and all the facts he brought forth should re-elect Obama by default. He was funny, yet stern, and totally killed claims made by Ryan and Romney. And if you look at all the stats and how little Factcheck.org has to write about it was a home run.

For those who actually haven't watched the speech and talking out of their a** now here is the link to the entire speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l26ItndGwZo

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 03:24 PM
additional fact check by the ThinkProgress.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/09/06/804811/associated-press-fact-checks-clintons-speech-by-bringing-up-monica-lewinsky/?mobile=nc

Now the AP fact check is noted as the only one who is attempting to actually discredit Clinton's speech. To discredit the speech AP had to dig out even the Lewinsky scandal which really has no bearing on today or the economy or anything.
In all fairness here is that link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bill-clinton-dnc-speech-fact-check-finds-president-claims-compromise-a-stretch-article-1.1153053

If anybody has to dig out Lewinsky some 15 years later in order to block an Obama re-election has not much to go on.

Spesh
09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
In my opinion he totally killed the RNC and all the speakers there. Just based on the speech and all the facts he brought forth should re-elect Obama by default. He was funny, yet stern, and totally killed claims made by Ryan and Romney. And if you look at all the stats and how little Factcheck.org has to write about it was a home run.

For those who actually haven't watched the speech and talking out of their a** now here is the link to the entire speech:

Thanks. Had caught parts of it and the reactions, but havent see the entire thing.

And absolutely hilarious that they are going back to Lewinsky

Statler Waldorf
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Can you tell me where Clinton's economic plan and Obama's are even similiar? Bill Clinton is not running for re-election by the way.

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Can you tell me where Clinton's economic plan and Obama's are even similiar? Bill Clinton is not running for re-election by the way.

Did I say they were similar? Stop making crap up.

Locke
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Better yet, can this guy even reasonably describe either Clinton's or Obama's economic plans? Or will it sound like his insane ramblings in the religion forum...?

nick1
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I made a thread to discuss this.already.but a republican had to start.a new one lol. Got tired of harping on the absence of god?

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I made a thread to discuss this.already.but a republican had to start.a new one lol. Got tired of harping on the absence of god?
A Republican? :err:

nick1
09-06-2012, 07:57 PM
A Republican? :err:

Democrat? Sorry bashing Clinton is very like the right

Spesh
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Where did he bash Clinton? He said Clinton killed it, smoked what the RNC did, and that those who wanted to bash Clintons speech had to resort to events that happened 15 years ago.

Even if he wanted to bash Clinton, so what? He doesnt have to agree with everything that someone from the left says. If Clinton's speech had been filled with complete lies, personal insults, or a call for his own illegal reelection why shouldnt he be attacked?

Frequently threads are started on here about an event, then another thread gets thrown up fact checking that same event. Alot of times they do the fact checking and events in the same threads, but they didnt this time. Its not a conspiracy from the right(!!!!). If you want that, go back a page or two and find threads started by SnakeOilSalesman.

phins_4_ever
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM

When did I bash Clinton? :err:

nick1
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Where did he bash Clinton? He said Clinton killed it, smoked what the RNC did, and that those who wanted to bash Clintons speech had to resort to events that happened 15 years ago.

Even if he wanted to bash Clinton, so what? He doesnt have to agree with everything that someone from the left says. If Clinton's speech had been filled with complete lies, personal insults, or a call for his own illegal reelection why shouldnt he be attacked?

Frequently threads are started on here about an event, then another thread gets thrown up fact checking that same event. Alot of times they do the fact checking and events in the same threads, but they didnt this time. Its not a conspiracy from the right(!!!!). If you want that, go back a page or two and find threads started by SnakeOilSalesman.
My thread asks about fact checking on this very speech. But my apology on saying he bashed Clinton

Statler Waldorf
09-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Well you were using Clinton’s performance as justification for re-electing Obama, so I had hoped that you maybe thought the two had some similarities or else that’d make no sense at all. Thanks for clearing that up for me though :-P

Better yet, can this guy even reasonably describe either Clinton's or Obama's economic plans?

Sure, one balanced the budget and created a surplus with unemployment staying below 6 percent while the other has increased the deficit more than any president in history and has resided over an economy where unemployment has stayed above 8 percent for the longest period in American history since the 1930s. I am sure that even you know which guy is which.

Locke
09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Well you were using Clinton’s performance as justification for re-electing Obama, so I had hoped that you maybe thought the two had some similarities or else that’d make no sense at all. Thanks for clearing that up for me though :-P

Sure, one balanced the budget and created a surplus with unemployment staying below 6 percent while the other has increased the deficit more than any president in history and has resided over an economy where unemployment has stayed above 8 percent for the longest period in American history since the 1930s. I am sure that even you know which guy is which.

You described the effects of their budget, not the budgets themselves. So, please, enlighten us...

Statler Waldorf
09-07-2012, 02:56 PM
You described the effects of their budget, not the budgets themselves. So, please, enlighten us...

You mean budgets or economic plans? I already described their budgets, one was balanced one was not (Reid hasn’t passed an actual budget in the senate for over 3 years).

Locke
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
You mean budgets or economic plans? I already described their budgets, one was balanced one was not (Reid hasn’t passed an actual budget in the senate for over 3 years).

Those are synonyms, stop dodging the question. If you don't know, just admit it, cut your losses, and stop posting ignorant drivel. Or if you do know, describe them here, because I don't think you know jack **** about the things you comment on...

Statler Waldorf
09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Those are synonyms, stop dodging the question. If you don't know, just admit it, cut your losses, and stop posting ignorant drivel. Or if you do know, describe them here, because I don't think you know jack **** about the things you comment on...

WHAT!? They are not synonymous at all! If they were synonymous then you’d be forced to say Obama has no economic plan because no budget has been passed in 3 years. Are you willing to admit that or are you going to admit they are not synonymous terms? You just painted yourself into a corner on that one.

Locke
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
WHAT!? They are not synonymous at all! If they were synonymous then you’d be forced to say Obama has no economic plan because no budget has been passed in 3 years. Are you willing to admit that or are you going to admit they are not synonymous terms? You just painted yourself into a corner on that one.

Answer my damn question and stop trying to circumvent it. Or just go ahead and admit that you don't know what the **** you're talking about and move on. Either way, I'm calling you out. I'm tired of people like you making retarded statements about stuff you have no idea about. It's an insult to intellectualism. But let's be honest, judging by your posts in the religion forum, you think intellectualism is actually a bad thing...

Statler Waldorf
09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Answer my damn question and stop trying to circumvent it.
I must have touched a bit of a vein on that one.

Or just go ahead and admit that you don't know what the **** you're talking about and move on.

I don’t know what I am talking about because I know the difference between an economic plan and a budget? So you do know what you’re talking about because you didn’t know the difference?

Either way, I'm calling you out. I'm tired of people like you making retarded statements about stuff you have no idea about. It's an insult to intellectualism.

I do know what I am talking about, I just like to let you bumble around and make a few ridiculous mistakes before I address anything. Clinton’s economic plan was based on compromise and triangulation with the two different parties, he believed in keeping the federal deficit at or below .01 percent of GDP, he also believes it is never appropriate to raise taxes during a recession. Obama believes in more of a Cain-sian economic policy that puts the deficit at over 8 percent of GDP, he doesn’t compromise or move to the center on any spending issue and believes in increasing taxes on all Americans during a recession, whether through the Affordable Care Act or through allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire; huge difference between the two.

But let's be honest, judging by your posts in the religion forum, you think intellectualism is actually a bad thing...

Coming from the guy who doesn’t know what scientific journals even look like….nice :-P

JamesBW43
09-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Clinton’s economic plan was based on compromise and triangulation with the two different parties, he believed in keeping the federal deficit at or below .01 percent of GDP, he also believes it is never appropriate to raise taxes during a recession. Obama believes in more of a Cain-sian economic policy that puts the deficit at over 8 percent of GDP, he doesn’t compromise or move to the center on any spending issue and believes in increasing taxes on all Americans during a recession, whether through the Affordable Care Act or through allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire; huge difference between the two.

Clinton twice refused to compromise to the point of a government shut down. Keynesian economic policy also holds that taxes should not be raised during a recession. President Obama hasn't raised anyone's individual taxes. President Obama agreed to extend the Bush tax cuts when they were set to expire in 2010. President Obama compromised on the ACA by getting rid of the public option as well as a myriad of cost cutting measures. The President agreed to a debt reduction plan with Speaker Boehner, but the tea party wing of the republican party voted it down. And the ACA resulted in many Americans getting a check back from their insurance companies.

Locke
09-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Clinton twice refused to compromise to the point of a government shut down. Keynesian economic policy also holds that taxes should not be raised during a recession. President Obama hasn't raised anyone's individual taxes. President Obama agreed to extend the Bush tax cuts when they were set to expire in 2010. President Obama compromised on the ACA by getting rid of the public option as well as a myriad of cost cutting measures. The President agreed to a debt reduction plan with Speaker Boehner, but the tea party wing of the republican party voted it down. And the ACA resulted in many Americans getting a check back from their insurance companies.

And this is what someone who actually knows what they are talking about looks like...

Statler Waldorf
09-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Clinton twice refused to compromise to the point of a government shut down.

…and that proves what? He still held to a strategy of triangulation.

Keynesian economic policy also holds that taxes should not be raised during a recession.

Well then Obama is to the left of even Cain-sian economics (I see you didn’t get my little play on words, oh well).

President Obama hasn't raised anyone's individual taxes.

Untrue, he pushed for the passing of the Affordable Care Act, which raises taxes on millions of middle class Americans who are uninsured by imposing a tax on them for not buying health insurance.

President Obama agreed to extend the Bush tax cuts when they were set to expire in 2010.

So Obama’s economic plan is more similar to Bush’s than Clinton’s?

President Obama compromised on the ACA by getting rid of the public option as well as a myriad of cost cutting measures.

That wasn’t a compromise with the GOP; it was a compromise with his own party because the bill would have never passed the Senate while containing a public option. A president doesn’t get points for compromising with his own party because his ideas are too radical for even them.

And this is what someone who actually knows what they are talking about looks like

…and this is what a Scientific Journal looks like (sorry I had to, you set me up too well not to)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/09/science_AAAS-2.jpg

JamesBW43
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
…and that proves what? He still held to a strategy of triangulation.

Well then Obama is to the left of even Cain-sian economics (I see you didn’t get my little play on words, oh well).

Untrue, he pushed for the passing of the Affordable Care Act, which raises taxes on millions of middle class Americans who are uninsured by imposing a tax on them for not buying health insurance.

So Obama’s economic plan is more similar to Bush’s than Clinton’s?

That wasn’t a compromise with the GOP; it was a compromise with his own party because the bill would have never passed the Senate while containing a public option. A president doesn’t get points for compromising with his own party because his ideas are too radical for even them.

…and this is what a Scientific Journal looks like (sorry I had to, you set me up too well not to)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/09/science_AAAS-1.jpg

You've moved the goalpost from your previous argument with each of these statements.