PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: 60 yard FG contest?/Updated Correction: Actually is a 40 yard FG contest

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/dolphins-plan-impossible-halftime-contest

Awful, just awful.

bigchub22
09-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Another dumb decision by the Dolphins NOOOO ya dont say :rolleyes2:

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 02:37 PM
How do they come up with kind of stuff?

SebasMiamiFan
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
My God....

Can somebody please fire the marketing people? Who's running this team?

We're a big circus in the eyes of the media.

SkapePhin
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Can't go a week without someone in this organization making an ass of themselves...

Couldn't they just set up a rigged carnival game instead??

JCane
09-14-2012, 02:47 PM
SMH

We are so Goddamn dumb.

Eff a roof. Just put a big top over Sun Life. We're a sideshow.

SpurzN703
09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
We're a big circus in the eyes of the media.

However will we cope!

slickrickpuppy
09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
People need to stop bLAMING ross..how about mike dee...he probaly the one that made ross keep ireland..and made ross get those celebs as parttime owners.

SebasMiamiFan
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
However will we cope!

I want to be a respected franchise that people look up to. I don't want to be the incompetent team that doesn't do anything right.

13Dolfan87
09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
It's like they try and top their idiocy all the time.

dolphone
09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah, what a ridiculous idea. The *only* possible move now is claim a typo and say it was 6 yards. Which most people might miss, actually.

ncmedic5
09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
People need to stop bLAMING ross..how about mike dee...he probaly the one that made ross keep ireland..and made ross get those celebs as parttime owners.

Pribay a lot more truth to that than most realize.

SWS84
09-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I wonder if Florio actually confirmed that it would be indeed a 60 yard field goal try? My guess is, it was a typo on the part of the Dolphins. If not, a head scratcher for sure.

Canadianfishfan
09-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Funny how when I listen to the radio, and I hear one of the commentators, in this case Andy Slater bitch about some stupid contest... it appears in this forum about 5 minutes later.

Once again... just having to find some other reason to pile on how much this organization sucks.

I wonder what it will be tomorrow.

sn9ke.eyes
09-14-2012, 03:06 PM
lol, did you see this comment from someone on that article:

This week the Dolphins are honoring the ’72 team with a free hat, and they’re honoring the Tony Sparano Era with missed 60 yard FG attempts.

uk_dolfan
If you dont want to try it do then dont. End of story.

SkapePhin
I wonder if Florio actually confirmed that it would be indeed a 60 yard field goal try? My guess is, it was a typo on the part of the Dolphins. If not, a head scratcher, for sure.

I thought so too initially, but then I read the contest rules and it said 3 contestants will attempt a fieldgoal from the 50 yard line. It seems like too perfect of a number to be a typo. Did they mean 15 yard line?

Noodleman
09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Lol it is funny how many people bitched about Philbin micromanaging the players. This is the same thing....who cares! It is a stupid half time show. Maybe if nobody wins the money gets donated to charity or something like that. Either way, nobody who is not at the game will never even know about it. This is so ridiculous. I have seen basketball do full court shots for money. Nobody bitches about that. You waste time complaining about something that you don't even care about....let it go man, let it go!

SWS84
09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Lol it is funny how many people bitched about Philbin micromanaging the players. This is the same thing....who cares! It is a stupid half time show. Maybe if nobody wins the money gets donated to charity or something like that. Either way, nobody who is not at the game will never even know about it. This is so ridiculous. I have seen basketball do full court shots for money. Nobody bitches about that. You waste time complaining about something that you don't even care about....let it go man, let it go!

Good point about the full court shot! I have seen that, too.

uk_dolfan
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Foolish post, dont you know half the people on here pray that the team and those associated with it fail? So they can have a good rant and say "I told you so."

Finland
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Yup these guys are smart!

TheWarriorFins
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
30 yards with the control of your hands vs 60 yards with the control of your foot hmmmmmmmm. I've hit full court shots all you need is arm strength but I can't hit no 60 yard field goal and only for 10k lol

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
What if one of the three people makes the kick? Then what do we say?

JCane
09-14-2012, 03:23 PM
What if one of the three people makes the kick?

C'mon man...

Hayden Fox
09-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I hope someone bangs it through! LOL.

I saw a game in Buffalo in wild wind. Selected fans could win a truck kicking a 30 yard field goal, but the ball had to land and stay in the bed of the truck. BTW, the kick was into the wind. I never saw a more impossible game to win.

finfan75
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I love the first comment. Does the 10k come with a contract? lol

Noodleman
30 yards with the control of your hands vs 60 yards with the control of your foot hmmmmmmmm. I've hit full court shots all you need is arm strength but I can't hit no 60 yard field goal and only for 10k lol
My point is it is a stupid thing to worry about. Who cares what their halftime show is? Honestly, does it really matter? How many will even remember it by game time sunday? Of all the things to pile on the organization about, seems very low on the list. Just shows me how silly people are. As far as full court shots go, you need luck as well. I can throw a basketball the length of a court easily but to make a basket would be exceptionally difficult.

SQuinn17
Better sign him to a contract immediately.

Noodleman
09-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I think the bigger problem is that the one time I went to a game....vodka/cranberry was 14 dollars for a double. Now THAT is something that is worthy of a thread.lol

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 03:32 PM
C'mon man...

What? Fair question, we don't know who these people are. It is a stupid distance(if it is actually accurate and not just a misprint), but maybe these people had to qualify to even do this by hitting a long field goal to begin with.

Honestly, I don't really care. I care more about the 60 minutes of game play than halftime events. All true fans will be watching the game on Sunday and paying attention to that, the pregame and half time festivities don't really matter to the majority. Even if they are ridiculous.

Playmaker76
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Are you serious or are you trolling? I hope for you sake you aren't serious.

JCane
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Well of course the halftime show doesn't affect the outcome of the game. Who said anything about that?

This is about the organization doing more dumb **** and getting more negative media attention.

I mean who really sits down and dreams up some fan nailing a 60 yard field goal.

If you're even capable of kicking a football that distance, then you're capable of hitting a 40 yard field goal with some kind of consistency and would probably be playing on Sunday to begin with.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Are you serious or are you trolling? I hope for you sake you aren't serious.

Anything that disagrees with me he'll post it.

tay0365
09-14-2012, 03:39 PM
:crazy::bobdole: :m359:

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I think the bigger problem is that the one time I went to a game....vodka/cranberry was 14 dollars for a double. Now THAT is something that is worthy of a thread.lol
So it's not worthy of being a thread, yet you've posted on it 3 times in the past 15 minutes...interesting logic.

Quadfather
09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Man, thats why I dont even bother going to games anymore. Three hour drive, horrendous traffic in and out, 20-30 dollars for parking, drinks cost a million dollors, you sit so high the players look like twigs and tickets are still over 100 dollars, Its crazy! But its not like this is just the dolphins, its like this all over the country. Thats why the nfl is going to hell. Give me a cold beer in front of my HD tv with friends and family anyday. Of course I have this theory that pretty soon they will go to a pay per view system like boxing. That will be the day...

MRojas4
09-14-2012, 03:46 PM
It seems to me someone took the idea of the half court shot and tried to translate that into the "half-court" field goal kick.

Not realizing its a hell of alot easier to shoot a ball from half court than to kick a ball 60 yards. Most people can shoot the ball from half court, just not accurate. What, like 1 in a million people might be able to kick the ball 60 yards?

johngarry
09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I could see 6yrds maybe 16yrs… but wtf, 60yrds?!!!

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Well of course the halftime show doesn't affect the outcome of the game. Who said anything about that?

This is about the organization doing more dumb **** and getting more negative media attention.

I mean who really sits down and dreams up some fan nailing a 60 yard field goal.

If you're even capable of kicking a football that distance, then you're capable of hitting a 40 yard field goal with some kind of consistency and would probably be playing on Sunday to begin with.I don't think anyone ever suggested it did JCane.

Anything that disagrees with me he'll post it.

You are giving yourself way too much credit. I have more important things to do thant to go out of my way to disagree with you just for the sake of it. I think a 60 yard field goal attempt to win money at halftime is silly and likely impossible. I also can't help smiling at so many people making such a big deal about it. Who really cares? :lol: Oh my God, a fan is going to attempt a 60 yard field goal to win money, Philbin picked up a piece of trash of the practice field on Hard Knocks and Ross is bringing in Cirque du Soleil in the offseason to use the stadium. :lol: Next we are going to start arguing between whether the stadium should have Pepsi or Coke at the concession stands. I don't know, but I would rather root/complain about the team and front office in terms of football than whether or not a wall at the stadium has aqua paint or orange paint on it. I guess I am just old fashioned.

Milk Man
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Can't be true!

EmperorPhin
09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I think this is all a plan by the organization now that we have a viable return mane in Thigpen what a joke kickoffs from the 35 are. We will show the league by having 3 average joes kick the ball 60 yards thru the uprights

damanref10
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't think anyone ever suggested it did JCane.

You are giving yourself way too much credit. I have more important things to do thant to go out of my way to disagree with you just for the sake of it. I think a 60 yard field goal attempt to win money at halftime is silly and likely impossible. I also can't help smiling at so many people making such a big deal about it. Who really cares? :lol: Oh my God, a fan is going to attempt a 60 yard field goal to win money, Philbin picked up a piece of trash of the practice field on Hard Knocks and Ross is bringing in Cirque du Soleil in the offseason to use the stadium. :lol: Next we are going to start arguing between whether the stadium should have Pepsi or Coke at the concession stands. I don't know, but I would rather root/complain about the team and front office in terms of football than whether or not a wall at the stadium has aqua paint or orange paint on it. I guess I am just old fashioned.

It's coke. and its not even close lol

JCane
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
No one is making a big deal about it.

It's just another dumb move by the organization. People are commenting on it.

Nothing more.

DphinBillkiller
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Sounds like they won't be giving any money away. Maybe they will get some free Phin swag though.

EmperorPhin
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Who knew Fuad Reveiz, Uwe von Schamann and Garo Yepremian all showed up for the June melanoma screening

Vertical Limit
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Just 10,000.00 if the field goal is made? If the field goal is made they better give that person a contract and drop Carpenter. Carpenter doesn't even have that type of leg. :lol:

By the way, don't see the issue with this. It's fun.

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Isn't Olindo Mare still unemployed? Watch him walk up and hit it.

MRojas4
09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
That be a bit funny to see some FA kicks show up for a quick pay check!

Vertical Limit
09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
isn't olindo mare still unemployed? Watch him walk up and hit it.

lmao! HAHAHAHA.

damanref10
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Just to put how ridiculous this halftime show actually is... a full court shot is nowhere near as hard as a 60 yard field goal.....

isnt the NFL RECORD a 63 yard field goal? correct me if im wrong... but come on..... there are 1,000,000 other ways to give a fan a shot at 10k with having a 99% chance of failure rather than a 100%

JCane
09-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Just to put how ridiculous this halftime show actually is... a full court shot is nowhere near as hard as a 60 yard field goal.....

isnt the NFL RECORD a 63 yard field goal? correct me if im wrong... but come on..... there are 1,000,000 other ways to give a fan a shot at 10k with having a 99% chance of failure rather than a 100%

We could let a fan try and beat Sean Smith on a deep ball.

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Honestly though now that my laughter tears are subsiding from those overreacting, my guess is that what was put in that press release was inaccurate. I bet that we will see a change in how far that kick actually is.

SkapePhin
09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/dolphins-move-halftime-field-goal-try-20-yards-closer/

Dolphins admitted their blunder, so it was in fact a blunder.

damanref10
09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/dolphins-move-halftime-field-goal-try-20-yards-closer/

now it is the equivalent of a full court shot......

the hate for a 60 yarder was well deserved. and now that our marketing department ****ed up again...
a 40 yarder makes for a normal halftime show lol

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Figured the press release was inaccurate.

JCane
09-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Equally as impossible as that field goal.

EmperorPhin
09-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Its now a 40 yard attempt

JCane
09-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Its now a 40 yard attempt

Within my range now.

tay0365
09-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Within my range now.

For me they would have to bring it in 30 yards closer, and lower the goal-post down to eye level.

DphinBillkiller
09-14-2012, 04:53 PM
smh 2

JCane
09-14-2012, 04:57 PM
For me they would have to bring it in 30 yards closer, and lower the goal-post down to eye level.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, if this is a halftime show I'll be good and drunk at that point.

I may need it in 45 yards closer.

FishTank
09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Figured the press release was inaccurate.

No, the press release was accurate. The people running the contest just don't know football. :(

EmperorPhin
09-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Hmmm...now that I think about it, if this is a halftime show I'll be good and drunk at that point.

I may need it in 45 yards closer.
You will be that drunk in jail?

Awsi Dooger
09-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Honestly though now that my laughter tears are subsiding from those overreacting, my guess is that what was put in that press release was inaccurate. I bet that we will see a change in how far that kick actually is.

Sorry, that type of deflective post doesn't work if I show up. You tried to fool a handicapper in the audience, and failed miserably.

I don't know anything about this contest but from sampling the thread quickly I can easily piece together what happened here: Others properly mocked the contest and particularly the obscene distance, which equated to a likelihood of success of literally less than .01. You instinctively adopted apologist mode and leaped into the thread, failing to grasp that the distance was the vital variable, the one that indeed could be in error. Instead, you assumed the organization was fool proof and asserted we don't know anything about the potential participants and their capabilities. Unbelievable. It's like requiring a sub-10 second 100 meters and fretting that we don't know the makeup of the field. They may be Olympic finalists.

Still, I was going to let it go minus comment until this post, the one I quoted above. Once others had mocked you for defending the contest, you scrambled for all related info and eventually stumbled across the information that the Dolphins had changed the distance. After all, you're the news poster, the guy who gets everything first. You were relieved nobody had updated the thread with the idea that 40 is the new 60, so you straightened your tie, wiped off the blood, and waltzed into the room with your convenient "guess" that the press release was inaccurate, and a change was forthcoming. You were determined to look good when somebody inevitably posted the update. The fact that it occurred only 7 minutes following your post, and in the subsequent comment, is all I need to know in evaluating the situation. This is a simple one, like Richard Floyd McCoy as D.B. Cooper.

I'm needed to help an ailing relative but I guarantee it somebody looks into the situation they discover that the 40 yard info was available elsewhere, and prior to Nublar's post at 4:12 PM. That would be a simple bet, and not a small one.

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Sorry, that type of deflective post doesn't work if I show up. You tried to fool a handicapper in the audience, and failed miserably.

I don't know anything about this contest but from sampling the thread quickly I can easily piece together what happened here: Others properly mocked the contest and particularly the obscene distance, which equated to a likelihood of success of literally less than .01. You instinctively adopted apologist mode and leaped into the thread, failing to grasp that the distance was the vital variable, the one that indeed could be in error. Instead, you assumed the organization was fool proof and asserted we don't know anything about the potential participants and their capabilities. Unbelievable. It's like requiring a sub-10 second 100 meters and fretting that we don't know the makeup of the field. They may be Olympic finalists.

Still, I was going to let it go minus comment until this post, the one I quoted above. Once others had mocked you for defending the contest, you scrambled for all related info and eventually stumbled across the information that the Dolphins had changed the distance. After all, you're the news poster, the guy who gets everything first. You were relieved nobody had updated the thread with the idea that 40 is the new 60, so you straightened your tie, wiped off the blood, and waltzed into the room with your convenient "guess" that the press release was inaccurate, and a change was forthcoming. You were determined to look good when somebody inevitably posted the update. The fact that it occurred only 7 minutes following your post, and in the subsequent comment, is all I need to know in evaluating the situation. This is a simple one, like Richard Floyd McCoy as D.B. Cooper.

I'm needed to help an ailing relative but I guarantee it somebody looks into the situation they discover that the 40 yard info was available elsewhere, and prior to Nublar's post at 4:12 PM. That would be a simple bet, and not a small one.
Couldn't be more wrong Doogie. Seeing that I first mentioned that it was probably a misprint in my 3:32PM post and the PFT article came a half hour later, it wasn't a thought I suddenly came up with. Don't try and make this personal.

johngarry
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
oh… only a 40… oh ok… my 87yr old nana can hit that

Noodleman
09-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I find it more amusing that nobody is commenting on how PFT posted not 1 but 2 articles on the Dolphins halftime show! Are you kidding me? That is what they devote time talking about? I am sure there is something more pressing like, I don't know, the team? PFT is a joke but this is beneath even them. The halftime show? How ludicrous! Who would possibly care about that?lol

WVDolphan
09-14-2012, 09:48 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/135720/reaction.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

A&O
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Just logged-in. Just read the news. One word: sad. :crazy: :rolleyes2:

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
This is epic.

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 10:10 PM
This is epic.

If by epic, you mean epic fail by Doogie, than yes epic. I already proved him wrong in my response. The fact that he took so much issue with what I said and ended up with egg on his face just makes me shake my head. However, there is no need to start taking personal shots at members and I don't wish to drag Doogie through the mud.

WVDolphan
09-14-2012, 10:12 PM
This is epic.

Mike McQueery just tweeted that he logged on to FH and heard "rhythmic slapping sounds" coming from the main forum. He clicked on this thread and claims he witnessed a handicapper abusing a moderator.

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Let's get the thread back on track and refrain from the personal attacks. I have already proved Doogie's accusation to be false, so that should be the end of it.

JCane
09-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Pitiful.

roy_miami
09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
they should have taken it a step further and gave away $1 billion for a 100 yard field goal.

JCane
09-14-2012, 10:45 PM
they should have taken it a step further and gave away $1 billion for a 100 yard field goal.

Franchise is only worth a little more than $1B.

What if someone makes it?

A&O
09-14-2012, 10:53 PM
If someone makes it I'll eat dirt.

roy_miami
09-14-2012, 10:56 PM

If this type of gold is commonly found in vip I may have to join. You're a hell of a writer dooger

Nublar7
09-14-2012, 11:00 PM
If this type of gold is commonly found in vip I may have to join. You're a hell of a writer dooger
Tremendous fiction writer.

sharp
09-14-2012, 11:30 PM

Nublar said it before the press release, but this guy said it before Nublar

Page 2 - 3:04 PM

My guess is, it was a typo on the part of the Dolphins

SQuinn17
09-14-2012, 11:47 PM
If by epic, you mean epic fail by Doogie, than yes epic. I already proved him wrong in my response. The fact that he took so much issue with what I said and ended up with egg on his face just makes me shake my head. However, there is no need to start taking personal shots at members and I don't wish to drag Doogie through the mud.
Not only was the post he put up absolutely hysterical, the abuse that guy put on you was so brutal that you had it moved to a forum called "the depths of the sea."

WVDolphan
09-15-2012, 09:08 AM
If someone makes it I'll eat dirt.

If the dirt were still on the field, someone would actually have a shot at making it.

JCane
09-15-2012, 09:40 AM
If the dirt were still on the field, someone would actually have a shot at making it.

True story.

WVDolphan
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Not only was the post he put up absolutely hysterical, the abuse that guy put on you was so brutal that you had it moved to a forum called "the depths of the sea."

Cover up.

Everyone saw that coming after that McQueery tweet.

SpurzN703
09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
30 yd FG attempt contest actually. They both missed wide right. Barely.