PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand Conservative Christians...

SkapePhin
09-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I have this old co-worker on my Facebook who is a hardcore conservative and super Christian. He posted a photo today about Romney where he says he thinks that the redistribution of wealth is evil and Obama will destroy the country.

Yet, in the Bible, I find the following passage:

Acts 4:32-35

New International Version (NIV) The Believers Share Their Possessions

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And Godís grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostlesí feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Valandui
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I have this old co-worker on my Facebook who is a hardcore conservative and super Christian. He posted a photo today about Romney where he says he thinks that the redistribution of wealth is evil and Obama will destroy the country.

Yet, in the Bible, I find the following passage:

Acts 4:32-35

New International Version (NIV) The Believers Share Their Possessions

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

It's voluntary in that situation. Government officials sending other people's wealth to their own pet projects is another story entirely.

TrojanFin
09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
As I understand, taxmen were despised just as much in biblical times as they are now.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/tax-collector-faq.htm

People (Christians) do not mind giving to charities of their choosing to help the less fortunate, but massive taxes for the purpose of redistribution is not charity.

Try this passage on for size.

Proverbs 14:23 (ESV- English Standard Version)

In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.

cdz12250
09-20-2012, 07:33 AM
I understand both conservative Christians and liberal atheists. Conservative Christians quote scripture selectively to further their political agendas. Liberal atheists quote scripture selectively to attack beliefs that conservative Christians hold in good faith, also to further their political agendas. Both ought to keep religion, or lack of it, out of politics. Matter of mutual respect and secular government.

It's equally interesting to observe that liberal Christians, conservetive atheists, libertarians and centrists rarely inject religion into political discourse.

TrojanFin
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Actually... I'm not a Christian Conservative (more of a contrarian). I merely Google searched biblical scripture to find something that showed a conflicting perspective. To be honest, if you do not take the bible literally, there are many ways to interpret its passages to make an argument for both sides.

SkapePhin
09-20-2012, 09:07 AM
As I understand, taxmen were despised just as much in biblical times as they are now.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/tax-collector-faq.htm

People (Christians) do not mind giving to charities of their choosing to help the less fortunate, but massive taxes for the purpose of redistribution is not charity.

Try this passage on for size.

Proverbs 14:23 (ESV- English Standard Version)

There is a clear distinction between taxes in those times and taxes today. The majority of the taxes in those times went directly to the leaders to do what they wished. There were no social programs to put the money back into. The taxes collected went to the kings and emperors, not back into the system to help the people.

I think people would have a different opinion of collecting taxes to put it into programs such as healthcare instead of for purchasing wine for the emperor's next orgy.

cdz12250
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
There is a clear distinction between taxes in those times and taxes today. The majority of the taxes in those times went directly to the leaders to do what they wished. There were no social programs to put the money back into. The taxes collected went to the kings and emperors, not back into the system to help the people.

I think people would have a different opinion of collecting taxes to put it into programs such as healthcare instead of for purchasing wine for the emperor's next orgy.

Ever hear of the leges frumentariae in Rome, also known as the grain dole? Social entitlement program. The taxes went right into the Roman treasury, less the percentage the publicans skimmed off the top. It was a lot more similar to today than most people think.