PDA

View Full Version : So, I broke down and bought a 360.

Valandui
09-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I already got The Witcher 2 and Skyrim for it. Are there any other 360 exclusive RPGs anyone recommends?

Spesh
09-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Mass Effect series.

First game wasnt available for PS3. Seeing as how the choices you make in the first one directly influence the other 2 games it was kind of a blow to Bioware when they werent allowed to release it for the other systems(Microsoft held onto it tightly).

Valandui
09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Mass Effect series.

First game wasnt available for PS3. Seeing as how the choices you make in the first one directly influence the other 2 games it was kind of a blow to Bioware when they werent allowed to release it for the other systems(Microsoft held onto it tightly).
I may do that. I still haven't played any of the Mass Effect games.

Locke
09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon (really hit or miss, i enjoyed it but a lot of others didn't)
Star Ocean
Fable 2 and 3
Dragon Age
Eternal Sonata
Dead Island
Infinite Undiscovery

And obviously, the Mass Effect series. Spesh is right on, it's an amazing trilogy.

Add me if you ever wanna do some gaming man. GT is Ephemeral Locke

Valandui
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Star Ocean
Fable 2 and 3
Dragon Age
Eternal Sonata
Dead Island
Infinite Undiscovery

And obviously, the Mass Effect series. Spesh is right on, it's an amazing trilogy.

I might. Do you have to pay for an Xbox Live account to download DLC or updates or is there like a free limited version?

Locke
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I might. Do you have to pay for an Xbox Live account to download DLC or updates or is there like a free limited version?

I'm sure you can download stuff you want with a Silver account. I think Gold is only for playing with friends, accessing the applications, etc...

Spesh
09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I may do that. I still haven't played any of the Mass Effect games.

Im a unredeemable fan boy for the series so anything i'd say would be completely biased, but the ability to craft an RPG's enviroment across multiple games is a unique experience and results in the most personal trilogy ever.
That said, despite both being RPG's, it cant be more different from Skyrim. As you know, Skyrim is a fantasy setting, open-world, first person view(at least its designed more for first person despite having a third person view option) game. ME trilogy is sci-fi, has a stronger focus on following the story, and third person view. If you want the option of randomly wandering a mountain, ME isnt for you. As someone who doesnt like the fantasy genre(with exceptions such as Game of Thrones) and gets lost in open world games, i only got 35 hours or so into Skyrim and havent had the will power to throw it back in the 360. Yet ive done 3 complete run-throughs(doing every single side quest in every game, linking my unique choices for that run-through along the way) of the ME series, each run-through costing me 150 hours of my life. This doesnt include the 4 or 5 characters i have waiting to be linked into the third game.

I havent played alot of RPGs for the 360, or the ones i have werent memberable so i couldnt recommend them, so Locke's list is probably the one to run with. I have played Dead Island though and its very enjoyable, wrote about it here:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?306834-Anyone-play-quot-Dead-island-quot-yet&p=1064044669&viewfull=1-post1064044669

And unredeemable fan boy moment, trailer someone rigged up for the series(only real spoiler is from the first game...and gets spoiled if youve even seen a commercial for the sequels):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqYN2RJfVA

Spesh
09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm sure you can download stuff you want with a Silver account. I think Gold is only for playing with friends, accessing the applications, etc...

This.

At various times ive been without "Gold" status and been able to download DLCs and patches without any problems. Unless they've changed it recently you should be fine.

Valandui
09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Im a unredeemable fan boy for the series so anything i'd say would be completely biased, but the ability to craft an RPG's enviroment across multiple games is a unique experience and results in the most personal trilogy ever.
That said, despite both being RPG's, it cant be more different from Skyrim. As you know, Skyrim is a fantasy setting, open-world, first person view(at least its designed more for first person despite having a third person view option) game. ME trilogy is sci-fi, has a stronger focus on following the story, and third person view. If you want the option of randomly wandering a mountain, ME isnt for you. As someone who doesnt like the fantasy genre(with exceptions such as Game of Thrones) and gets lost in open world games, i only got 35 hours or so into Skyrim and havent had the will power to throw it back in the 360. Yet ive done 3 complete run-throughs(doing every single side quest in every game, linking my unique choices for that run-through along the way) of the ME series, each run-through costing me 150 hours of my life. This doesnt include the 4 or 5 characters i have waiting to be linked into the third game.

I havent played alot of RPGs for the 360, or the ones i have werent memberable so i couldnt recommend them, so Locke's list is probably the one to run with. I have played Dead Island though and its very enjoyable, wrote about it here:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?306834-Anyone-play-quot-Dead-island-quot-yet&p=1064044669&viewfull=1-post1064044669

And unredeemable fan boy moment, trailer someone rigged up for the series(only real spoiler is from the first game...and gets spoiled if youve even seen a commercial for the sequels):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqYN2RJfVA
See, I love my RPGs being in medieval times. My favorite game of all time is still Final Fantasy IV.

Spesh
09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
See, I love my RPGs being in medieval times. My favorite game of all time is still Final Fantasy IV.

Cant argue taste i suppose. Medieval genre just doesnt do it for me and a good majority of RPG games are that sort of setting. Good sci-fi RPGs are a minority in my opinion, which undoubtably lead to my love affair with Mass Effect. Or perhaps Bioware in general, as i swooned over Kotor and even Dragon Age Origins.

By all means its your call, but Mass Effect is worth at least researching. If nothing else, transfering choices from game to game is unique.

Valandui
09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Cant argue taste i suppose. Medieval genre just doesnt do it for me and a good majority of RPG games are that sort of setting. Good sci-fi RPGs are a minority in my opinion, which undoubtably lead to my love affair with Mass Effect. Or perhaps Bioware in general, as i swooned over Kotor and even Dragon Age Origins.

By all means its your call, but Mass Effect is worth at least researching. If nothing else, transfering choices from game to game is unique.
I'm not against playing it. I just haven't gotten around to it. I've only been gaming again since last October and most of that has been occupied by the combination of Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Witcher 2.

rob19
09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Star Ocean
Fable 2 and 3
Dragon Age
Eternal Sonata
Dead Island
Infinite Undiscovery

Being a massive fan of Fable 1, & Fable TLC; I was really disappointed in Fable 2. Didn't even buy Fable 3.

Valandui
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Being a massive fan of Fable 1, & Fable TLC; I was really disappointed in Fable 2. Didn't even buy Fable 3.

I have Fable 3 on PC and it's pretty fun, but I have trouble going back to play it for some reason.

Locke
09-21-2012, 12:45 AM

Tales of Vesperia is a must play for you then...

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Fable 2 was meh, but I enjoyed part 3...

Valandui
09-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Tales of Vesperia is a must play for you then...

If it's made by the same people that made Tales of Symphonia I'll definitely have to. One of the most fun RPGs I've ever played. I got a Gamecube specifically for that game (bought if from a friend for about $30).

aquaman54
09-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Red Dead......It oozes AWESOMENESS!!!!

Locke
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
If it's made by the same people that made Tales of Symphonia I'll definitely have to. One of the most fun RPGs I've ever played. I got a Gamecube specifically for that game (bought if from a friend for about $30).

Yup, it sure is...

trojanma
09-21-2012, 11:01 PM
As relatively casual gamer that usually sticks to sports games I have to plug

Mass Effect Series. I had my doubts and bought this on some bargain collection. Awesome series. Like a first person shooter connected to an interactive movie.

Red Dead Redemption. Super Dark. Kind of Western Gothic. When you get the Zombie add on it becomes like a horror flick. The best part about it is all these mysterious little eggs in this game.

Valandui
09-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Next question. How does installing games work? For example, do I need to install both discs of The Witcher 2?

Valandui
09-22-2012, 06:52 AM
As a follow up, why the **** won't the xbox read the second disc?

Locke
09-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Next question. How does installing games work? For example, do I need to install both discs of The Witcher 2?

Yes, install both. The game loads much faster, especially on a game as graphic-heavy as The Witcher...

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

As a follow up, why the **** won't the xbox read the second disc?

Sounds like a bad laser. I'd take it back. My first xbox would randomly choose games/discs that it couldn't read. My newer one runs perfectly...

Valandui
09-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes, install both. The game loads much faster, especially on a game as graphic-heavy as The Witcher...

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Sounds like a bad laser. I'd take it back. My first xbox would randomly choose games/discs that it couldn't read. My newer one runs perfectly...

I got one on ebay someone rebuilt. My friend has the game so I'll see if his disc reads and trade games with him if so. I took it back to Gamestop and the disc read fine on one they had there.

Dolphins9954
10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
IRONLUNG MUTINY send me a friends request Valandui. Or anyone else too.

Valandui
10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
IRONLUNG MUTINY send me a friends request Valandui. Or anyone else too.

I will, but I almost never have internet connection on it. I use a laptop as a network adapter to download stuff.

Dolphins9954
10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I will, but I almost never have internet connection on it. I use a laptop as a network adapter to download stuff.

Do you have the white model???

I have the black slim one that has wireless.

Valandui
10-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Do you have the white model???

I have the black slim one that has wireless.

Yeah. I just got a cheap rebuilt on ebay.

Dolphins9954
10-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah. I just got a cheap rebuilt on ebay.

When it comes to 360 "if it's white it ain't right". I've had 2 "fixed" by microsoft my 3rd one broke and I broke down and bought the black slim. I actually have an extra wireless adapter for the white model. It's collecting dust. We gotta grab a beer and watch a game some time. I'll give it to you.

Valandui
10-22-2012, 06:26 PM
When it comes to 360 "if it's white it ain't right". I've had 2 "fixed" by microsoft my 3rd one broke and I broke down and bought the black slim. I actually have an extra wireless adapter for the white model. It's collecting dust. We gotta grab a beer and watch a game some time. I'll give it to you.

Definitely, man.