PDA

View Full Version : Voter fraud search discovers little

Spesh
09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Republican election officials who promised to root out voter fraud so far are finding little evidence of a widespread problem.
State officials in key presidential battleground states have found only a tiny fraction of the illegal voters they initially suspected existed. Searches in Colorado and Florida have yielded numbers that amount to less than one-tenth of 1 percent of all registered voters in either state.

Democrats say the searches waste time and, worse, could disenfranchise eligible voters who are swept up in the checks.

"I find it offensive that I'm being required to do more than any other citizen to prove that I can vote," said Samantha Meiring, 37, a Colorado voter and South African immigrant who became a U.S. citizen in 2010. Meiring was among 3,903 registered voters who received letters last month from the Colorado Secretary of State's office questioning their right to vote.

Especially telling, critics of the searches say, is that the efforts are focused on crucial swing states from Colorado to Florida, where both political parties and the presidential campaigns are watching every vote. And in Colorado, most of those who received letters are either Democrats or unaffiliated with a party. It's a similar story in Florida, too.

Republicans argue that voting fraud is no small affair, even if the cases are few, when some elections are decided by hundreds of votes.

http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-look-voter-fraud-little-172327169--election.html

Break down by states included but not in quote. My personal favorite is, in totally typical fashion, Florida. Of the 2.6 thousand people marked as suspected non-citizens, 78% of them were listed as "unaffiliated voters" and "Democrats". Wonder how that happened...

TheWalrus
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Yup. It's a completely invented non-issue whose actual goals are not well hidden. Meanwhile, the fact that the polling machines in poor areas are older models and there are fewer of them gets no coverage.

Election day needs to be a national holiday, too. Or at least a Saturday, to help facillate participation in the process. But that'll never happen, either. Republicans know how and where their bread is buttered and barely seek to hide it.

It's one thing to disagree about this issue or that, but voter suppression, which is what all of this amounts to, should be abhorrent to all. For all the blathering the Republicans do about the founders' "intent", I can't imagine anything that would strike them as more fundamentally disgusting as such manuevers. It's an insult not just to them but to everyone who's suffered and died for the flag.

rob19
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I think it's about damn time we find a way to be able to vote on the internet.

WadeCounty1231
09-24-2012, 05:03 PM
The Florida laws had nothing to do with voter fraud, which of course is all Republicans mentioned on national tv and all. It had to do with college students not being able to vote where they go to college. It has to do with suppressing the vote of young people, no matter what the legislators in Florida call it.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

getting a new driver's license cost $25 (or something like that). Doing a absentee is burdensome. They are hoping some young people just dont want to go through the hoops and end up not voting.

Dolphins9954
09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Voter ID laws don't bother me so much as actually trying to prevent candidates to be on the ballot like the GOP is doing with Gary Johnson. I know every time I voted I always had to present my ID. Not really a big deal IMO. The bigger problem in my eyes is actually having candidates worth voting for and the ballots with them on it.

Spesh
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Voter ID laws don't bother me so much as actually trying to prevent candidates to be on the ballot like the GOP is doing with Gary Johnson. I know every time I voted I always had to present my ID. Not really a big deal IMO. The bigger problem in my eyes is actually having candidates worth voting for and the ballots with them on it.

I cant imagine a situation in which the government selectively targets people of opposing political affiliation that id find acceptable. That they are actively trying to limit their ability to vote is reprehensible.

All the various sorts of voter surpression i wrap up together. Preventing people from voting, eliminating candidates from ballots, attempting to repeal the 17th amendment(this one i find amusing), all of it is crap and i find it unbelievable that actual discussions of this sort of thing dont spark protests and complaints, much less the actual passing of the laws. The GOP dont like how they lost 4 years ago and so naturally, instead of providing better candidates or adjusting their views, they try and circumvent one of the most basic rights of the constitution: the ability to choose our leaders.

It reminds me of when Herman Cain was asked about his position on abortion. He felt it was a womens right to choose......so long as she chose to not get an abortion.

Dolphins9954
09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
I cant imagine a situation in which the government selectively targets people of opposing political affiliation that id find acceptable. That they are actively trying to limit their ability to vote is reprehensible.

All the various sorts of voter surpression i wrap up together. Preventing people from voting, eliminating candidates from ballots, attempting to repeal the 17th amendment(this one i find amusing), all of it is crap and i find it unbelievable that actual discussions of this sort of thing dont spark protests and complaints, much less the actual passing of the laws. The GOP dont like how they lost 4 years ago and so naturally, instead of providing better candidates or adjusting their views, they try and circumvent one of the most basic rights of the constitution: the ability to choose our leaders.

It reminds me of when Herman Cain was asked about his position on abortion. He felt it was a womens right to choose......so long as she chose to not get an abortion.

I found this gem about the dems trying to stop Nader from getting on the ballot......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5272141/ns/politics-tom_curry/t/democrats-file-anti-nader-suit/

Proof that both sides play these games especially when the 3rd party candidate is a threat. For me the premise of having to show an ID to vote doesn't fall into the voter suppression catergory IMO. Now I'm just speaking in general terms I don't really know the langauge of these voter ID laws that have come up. I know when I turned 18 back in 93. I had to take the initiative and a couple hours of my time to go to the DMV and wait in line to get voter registration papers, fill them and send them out myself. I also already had a drivers license too. Every time I voted since then I always had to show an ID. How anyone nowadays can go without an ID baffles me. I try to live off the grid as much as possible but the ID thing is something you can't get around. Now if there is something I find wrong with a voter ID law or policy. I would point it out and not support it. I just haven't really seen anything about it yet. At the same time anything the GOP or Dems do with any voting laws I wouldn't trust period. But showing an ID to vote in theory I support. Any shenanigans beyond that I wouldn't support. Let's also not forget this either.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Spesh
09-25-2012, 12:02 AM
I found this gem about the dems trying to stop Nader from getting on the ballot......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5272141/ns/politics-tom_curry/t/democrats-file-anti-nader-suit/

Proof that both sides play these games especially when the 3rd party candidate is a threat. For me the premise of having to show an ID to vote doesn't fall into the voter suppression catergory IMO. Now I'm just speaking in general terms I don't really know the langauge of these voter ID laws that have come up. I know when I turned 18 back in 93. I had to take the initiative and a couple hours of my time to go to the DMV and wait in line to get voter registration papers, fill them and send them out myself. I also already had a drivers license too. Every time I voted since then I always had to show an ID. How anyone nowadays can go without an ID baffles me. I try to live off the grid as much as possible but the ID thing is something you can't get around. Now if there is something I find wrong with a voter ID law or policy. I would point it out and not support it. I just haven't really seen anything about it yet. At the same time anything the GOP or Dems do with any voting laws I wouldn't trust period. But showing an ID to vote in theory I support. Any shenanigans beyond that I wouldn't support. Let's also not forget this either.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Fair enough, ill amend my statement: idiots shouldnt be allowed to prevent people from voting for who they choose.

If there was any evidence whatsoever of voter abuse, i might support it. But there isnt. Those numbers listed are just the first step of their "investigation"(witch hunt). I dont believe it takes into account simple mistakes. All previous investigations into this have come back with nothing. 5 years ago i believe the actual law breaking cases were in the single digits(single digits for something like a decade). I make sure i have at least two forms of identification, so this doesnt effect me. Yet the fact that they are actively attempting multiple attempts to prevent people from voting(or flat out eliminating entire levels of government) is foul.

We've had other threads about this subject. My favorite was Ohio firing people because they refused to shorten the voting hours of Democratic districts while Republican districts were extended. But here is another amusing attempt, youve probably seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8