PDA

View Full Version : Stonewall paul: Ryan mum on tax details

BAMAPHIN 22
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
During Thursday evening's debate, vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) did not offer new details on the Romney campaign's promise to slash taxes without losing the government a ton of revenue.
The centrist Tax Policy Center has (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/paul-ryan-taxes-mitt-romney_n_1961233.html)analyzed the plan (http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2012/08/01-tax-reform-brown-gale-looney) and concluded that it would create wide budget deficits unless the Romney administration hiked taxes on the middle class. The Romney campaign has insisted that it would not.

"What we are saying is lower tax rates across the board and close loopholes, primarily to the higher-income people," Ryan said on Thursday. "We have three bottom lines: Don't raise the deficit, don't raise taxes on the middle class and don't lower the share of income that is borne by the high-income earners."
Among other things, the plan would cut all individual income tax rates by 20 percent.

"Let's talk about this 20 percent," debate moderator Martha Raddatz said to Ryan. "You have refused yet again to offer specifics on how you pay for that 20 percent across-the-board tax cut. Do you actually have the specifics, or are you still working on it, and that's why you won't tell voters?"

Ryan said that his plan would deny loopholes and deductions for higher-income earners, but he didn't specify whether the plan might target deductions for mortgage interest or charitable giving, for instance. "We want to work with Congress on how best to achieve this," he said.

Raddatz asked, "You guarantee this math will add up?"

"Six studies have verified that this adds up," Ryan said, repeating a claim Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney made in last week's debate against President Obama.
The claim is debatable. As (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/paul-ryan-taxes-mitt-romney_n_1961233.html)HuffPost has reported (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/14/romney-tax-policy_n_1884527.html), three of the studies are blog posts or op-eds, and one was paid for by Romney for President Inc. (And the author of two of the pieces highlighted by the Romney campaign suggested the tax plan only works by eliminating tax preferences for people making more than $100,000.) But the (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/paul-ryan-taxes-mitt-romney_n_1961233.html)supporting research (http://www.american.com/archive/2012/october/the-romney-tax-plan-not-a-tax-hike-on-the-middle-class) for Romney's plan argues that the Tax Policy Center ignores the way the Romney tax reform would boost the economy, resulting in additional revenue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/paul-ryan-taxes-mitt-romney_n_1961233.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/paul-ryan-taxes-mitt-romney_n_1961233.html)

SkapePhin
10-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Its obvious that the Romney Tax Plan and deficit reduction plan is a fantasy... There is a better chance that we all end up on planet Kolob after we die than Romney's "plan" ever being feasible.

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Its obvious that the Romney Tax Plan and deficit reduction plan is a fantasy... There is a better chance that we all end up on planet Kolob after we die than Romney's "plan" ever being feasible.

How on Earth is that "obvious"? The Obama campaign won't ever give the specifics on what exactly a "fair share" is, so does that mean it's obvious his tax plan is a fantasy as well? Obama supporters are really starting to grasp at straws now, it’s complete desperation mode because they know they’re going to lose in November, and lose big.

Locke
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm usually not very impressed with Biden. The guy puts his foot in his mouth far too often. But he knocked it out of the park last night. I actually laughed out loud when Ryan claimed that they would lower taxes 20% to raise revenue, and Biden just states that it isn't mathematically possible. Calling out Lyin' Ryan when he inevitably started talking out of his ass was something I was hoping Biden would do. I'm glad he did. The man had no response to Biden, all night...

SkapePhin
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
How on Earth is that "obvious"? The Obama campaign won't ever give the specifics on what exactly a "fair share" is, so does that mean it's obvious his tax plan is a fantasy as well? Obama supporters are really starting to grasp at straws now, it’s complete desperation mode because they know they’re going to lose in November, and lose big.

FYI, I don't support Obama.

Gary Johnson 2012

And to answer your question, yes, they are both fantasies. I don't believe ANY of these guys have a sound plan to lower the deficit. They are both just giving lip service.

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm usually not very impressed with Biden. The guy puts his foot in his mouth far too often. But he knocked it out of the park last night. I actually laughed out loud when Ryan claimed that they would lower taxes 20% to raise revenue, and Biden just states that it isn't mathematically possible. Calling out Lyin' Ryan when he inevitably started talking out of his ass was something I was hoping Biden would do. I'm glad he did. The man had no response to Biden, all night...

Haha, and if Joe Biden asserts something is mathematically Impossible by golly that proves it’s not possible! We all know he is infallible. :-P

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

And to answer your question, yes, they are both fantasies. I don't believe ANY of these guys have a sound plan to lower the deficit. They are both just giving lip service.

Then why do you spend so much of your time attacking Romney and not the guy who has actually been mucking things up for four years?

Locke
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Statler Waldorf;1064457212]Haha, and if Joe Biden asserts something is mathematically Impossible by golly that proves it’s not possible! We all know he is infallible. :-P /QUOTE]

No, but mathematics supports his claim. I wouldn't expect the least objective person on the board to accept something as factual as math though...

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
No, but mathematics supports his claim.

I see your command of basic logic hasn’t improved, this everyone is the reification fallacy.

I wouldn't expect the least objective person on the board to accept something as factual as math though...

Haha, you hurt my feelings.

cuzinvinny
10-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Must have been a kiddy park.

Great come back Joe Biden says it's mathematically impossible......oh jez I'm convinced....lol....he also said that no one in Benghazi ever requested more security..... funny how the opposite was stated that they did request additional security at the House Committee Hearings......But we won't talk about that

So now Good old Joe Biden, the intellectual giant, born and raised with a foot in his mouth the Guru for truth and accuracy..Hey if Crazy Joe said it you know it must be true.

Everybody preferences Joe by saying it's just crazy Joe doing his thing and he gets away with it ...but this guy is next up if something ever happened to the president, hmmmm well now that I think about it we might be better off.......nevermind

Hey it's a good sign to see , " Your usually not very impressed with Biden. The guy puts his foot in his mouth far too often......" ya think ?

SkapePhin
10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Haha, and if Joe Biden asserts something is mathematically Impossible by golly that proves it’s not possible! We all know he is infallible. :-P

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Then why do you spend so much of your time attacking Romney and not the guy who has actually been mucking things up for four years?

Because even though I believe Obama is a problem, I view Romney as a worse option. I don't believe he offers any solutions, only promises. And he is as solid as a fart. He has no principles other than the principle to win an election. That isn't leadership, its salesmanship.

In addition, I don't believe Romney is a good candidate to bring us off our dependency to fossil fuels. The environment is one of the most important issues we face as humans and the future, yet Romney would have us sucking on Big Oil's tit for years to come, rather than trying to find other solutions to our energy problem that would possibly allow us to thwart the impending ecological crisis.

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Great come back Joe Biden says it's mathematically impossible......oh jez I'm convinced....lol....he also said that no one in Benghazi ever requested more security..... funny how the opposite was stated that they did request additional security at the House Committee Hearings......But we won't talk about that

So now Good old Joe Biden, the intellectual giant, born and raised with a foot in his mouth the Guru for truth and accuracy..Hey if Crazy Joe said it you know it must be true.

Everybody preferences Joe by saying it's just crazy Joe doing his thing and he gets away with it ...but this guy is next up if something ever happened to the president, hmmmm well now that I think about it we might be better off.......nevermind

Hey it's a good sign to see , " Your usually not very impressed with Biden. The guy puts his foot in his mouth far too often......" ya think ?

You take that back! You take it all back! You know as well as I do that even if something is not true before Joe Biden said it was true it BECOMES true simply because Joe says it is true!! The man is the very standard of truth! :-P

Locke
10-12-2012, 05:01 PM

"oh jez I'm convinced....lol"

When sarcastically referring someone to an "intellectual giant", I'd be extra sure you aren't casting stones out of a glass house.

You don't have to believe Biden, but math doesn't lie. That's the problem with you partisan hacks; you're incapable of looking at what people are saying because you don't like the person saying it. What business could you run that raises profits by lowering income? Answer me that question...

Buddy
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
You know what all of the hullabaloo about the details of the tax plan and it being revenue neutral is all about don't you? All of this CBO projections stuff is straight up crap! No one on the stage cares a thing about whether it is revenue neutryal, they want Romney and Ryan to say that the other part of their plan is to gut the entitlements and lower spending.

I, for one, hope that they lower taxes 20% or better and take all of the deductions out...yes, all of them! Then, I hope that they cut federal spending by about 30% - make the government understand what it is like to operate on a revenue positive or at least neutral budget. The deficit and debt is killing our country! Who gives a flying fart whether the tax plan is revenue neutral? That type of thinking is not going to help us as it insinuates that spending can not be lowered. I know that slashing spending is not popular but I assure you that it is the fastest and most fool proof way to fix our economy and our fiscal government.

I am going to vote for Romney/Ryan but for God's sake, I wish that a real conservative would stand up!

Locke
10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
You know what all of the hullabaloo about the details of the tax plan and it being revenue neutral is all about don't you? All of this CBO projections stuff is straight up crap! No one on the stage cares a thing about whether it is revenue neutryal, they want Romney and Ryan to say that the other part of their plan is to gut the entitlements and lower spending.

I, for one, hope that they lower taxes 20% or better and take all of the deductions out...yes, all of them! Then, I hope that they cut federal spending by about 30% - make the government understand what it is like to operate on a revenue positive or at least neutral budget. The deficit and debt is killing our country! Who gives a flying fart whether the tax plan is revenue neutral? That type of thinking is not going to help us as it insinuates that spending can not be lowered. I know that slashing spending is not popular but I assure you that it is the fastest and most fool proof way to fix our economy and our fiscal government.

I am going to vote for Romney/Ryan but for God's sake, I wish that a real conservative would stand up!

Great post, my friend.

Both sides will need to compromise on this. I know that's a bad word in Washington these days, but it's the truth. If we want to clear this deficit, we need to increase revenue and decrease spending. That means Republicans need to allow taxes to be raised where it's feasible, and Democrats need to allow cuts to be made to non-critical social programs. Acting like anything else is going to work is simply blowing smoke up the American people's asses.

Speaking of real conservatives, I know I've said this a dozen times, but it breaks my heart that Republicans didn't take Huntsman seriously. He is by far the best candidate I've seen come from either party since I've been following politics. If he had gotten the nomination, I'd be voting Republican next month...

Buddy
10-12-2012, 05:33 PM
You take that back! You take it all back! You know as well as I do that even if something is not true before Joe Biden said it was true it BECOMES true simply because Joe says it is true!! The man is the very standard of truth! :-P

I wonder if he had to practice his puffing, laughing, and timely interuptions as much as he practiced that nauseating, melodramatic soliloquy about being a bipolar Catholic (a devout Catholic who values life but allocates funds to Planned Parenthood who exists solely to distribute contraception and advocate abortion) there at the end. What a P.O.S.!

Buddy
10-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Great post, my friend.

Both sides will need to compromise on this. I know that's a bad word in Washington these days, but it's the truth. If we want to clear this deficit, we need to increase revenue and decrease spending. That means Republicans need to allow taxes to be raised where it's feasible, and Democrats need to allow cuts to be made to non-critical social programs. Acting like anything else is going to work is simply blowing smoke up the American people's asses.

Speaking of real conservatives, I know I've said this a dozen times, but it breaks my heart that Republicans didn't take Huntsman seriously. He is by far the best candidate I've seen come from either party since I've been following politics. If he had gotten the nomination, I'd be voting Republican next month...

I wouldn't have nearly such a problem with raising taxes TEMPORARILY if I really thought they would go Dave Ramsey on the Federal Debt and curb spending. However, I refuse to advocate paying one penny more to see our government buy votes through entitlements...or tax breaks that maybe 2500 people in the whole United States can take advantage of. Huntsman was not bad at all but I really liked Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan and would love to see a mostly flat tax or a national sales tax with no deduction which means no favoritism. Now that is my idea of everyone paying their fair share. Too bad Herman couldn't keep his pants zipped. The GOP is just convinced that they must have a RINO to have a chance but I really think that a no nonsense, true conservative could knock it out of the park.

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 05:55 PM

When sarcastically referring someone to an "intellectual giant", I'd be extra sure you aren't casting stones out of a glass house.

With all due respect, I am sure he at least knows what a peer-reviewed journal looks like.

What business could you run that raises profits by lowering income? Answer me that question...

Are you for real? You’re the kind of guy who “knows” you can’t increase revenue by lowering prices! You’re the kind of guy who’d claim a heavier than air flying machine will never work because Physics doesn’t lie! Your ignorance when it comes to basic economics is downright scary, you increase revenue by increasing the tax base and growing the economy, you do both of those by cutting taxes on the job creators in America. By bashing on Romney you are indirectly supporting someone who thinks that you can fix the debt crisis through more stimulus and phantom savings by extrapolating two ended wars out for ten years and that paying a higher percentage in taxes than everyone else is still somehow less than a "fair share", give me a break.

TheWalrus
10-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't have nearly such a problem with raising taxes TEMPORARILY if I really thought they would go Dave Ramsey on the Federal Debt and curb spending. However, I refuse to advocate paying one penny more to see our government buy votes through entitlements...or tax breaks that maybe 2500 people in the whole United States can take advantage of. Huntsman was not bad at all but I really liked Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan and would love to see a mostly flat tax or a national sales tax with no deduction which means no favoritism. Now that is my idea of everyone paying their fair share. Too bad Herman couldn't keep his pants zipped. The GOP is just convinced that they must have a RINO to have a chance but I really think that a no nonsense, true conservative could knock it out of the park.

It's pretty scary to think that -- and not being an idiot -- is what did him in.

Buddy
10-12-2012, 06:10 PM
It's pretty scary to think that -- and not being an idiot -- is what did him in.

He is far from an idiot, at least as far as business and the economy goes. He would have been very inexperienced as a politician in the White House but his ideas are sound. The establishment crushed him though, both GOP and Dems alike. They don't like outsiders playing on their playground.

Locke
10-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Cain would have been a disaster, and would have been destroyed in the general election. His extreme right wing views on all social issues would have alienated both the youth and independent vote. The GoP were smart to toss him to the side when they did. Huntsman was willing to be bipartisan, was truly small government (he had no plans to try to chime in on abortion, gay marriage, etc), was intelligent (accepted that evolution and climate change were happening), and most of all, was an intelligent and likeable guy. Of course, these are all things that the Republican base, and especially the extreme right wing, hate in their politicians, so no one gave him the light of day...

Statler Waldorf
10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
was intelligent (accepted that evolution and climate change were happening),

Creationists believe evolution happens, they just reject common descent, I love how you equivocate on the term evolution to try and prove your point. Additionally, nobody argues that climates don’t change, that’s obvious, what people argue about is whether the change we observe is anthropomorphic or not, which is a legitimate debate. I personally think that viewing abortion as a woman’s rights issue rather than a human rights issue is rather un-intelligent, so maybe Huntsman really was not that bright.

Buddy
10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Cain would have been a disaster, and would have been destroyed in the general election. His extreme right wing views on all social issues would have alienated both the youth and independent vote. The GoP were smart to toss him to the side when they did. Huntsman was willing to be bipartisan, was truly small government (he had no plans to try to chime in on abortion, gay marriage, etc), was intelligent (accepted that evolution and climate change were happening), and most of all, was an intelligent and likeable guy. Of course, these are all things that the Republican base, and especially the extreme right wing, hate in their politicians, so no one gave him the light of day...

You are probably right about Cain and the social issues although most people in the middle are most concerned with the economy right now. I mostly vote with my wallet and want the government out of my business on most everything so Cain's social views didn't bother me. I agree with the morality he spoke of (not what he demonstrated in adultery) but do not agree with mandating it. God gives us free will, so should the government. Then, we have to be responsible for our choices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TheWalrus
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
He is far from an idiot, at least as far as business and the economy goes. He would have been very inexperienced as a politician in the White House but his ideas are sound. The establishment crushed him though, both GOP and Dems alike. They don't like outsiders playing on their playground.

Cain didn't pass the basic threshold of credibility. His act was clownish and his buffoonery and ignorance readily apparent. It charmed a few people bored by a stolid race but when it gets down to it any party out of power thinks the incumbent president is weaker than they are and generally moves to nominate someone who won't get disqualified on basic incompetence.

It's not the "establishment" or any of that bull**** that does that. It's rank and file common sense playing the turnover margin game rather than going for fake punts in their own territory. That kind of thinking is always going to disqualify the Herman Cains and the Dennis Kucinichs who populate the presidential stage.

Buddy
10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't think that Cain's veiws are nearly so extreme as Kucinich's although that may just be perspective as I lean pretty far right to begin with so Cain's views seem pretty normal to me. I do think that he has a lot of economic credibility although he certainly lacked any tangible experience on the world stage. However, should he have been elected, he would have had more leadership experience than did Obama at his time of election. Obama won a popularity contest against one of the weakest candidates that the GOP has presented in quite some time. Thus, mine and a lot of conservative's mourning for the lack of a real candidate. Romney is the best we have available but he certainly isn't what I want.

SkapePhin
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I wish that a president in modern times would actually treat Americans like adults. We can see that there is an economic crisis. And as with any crisis, real hard decisions need to be made. Sacrifices. Every family these days has to get together and have a talk and discuss strategy, why can't the government do that with us?

Heads of households everywhere in the country are bringing the kids together and saying that if we are to survive this, we need to make some sacrifices. See:

Family, I brought you all here tonight because we have a problem. Times are tough, and I was recently forced to take a pay cut to stay employed, and unfortunately, we are still being crushed with debt. As such, we will need to make some changes if we are to make it through this. What bills can we do without? I'm sorry Timmy, I know you love ESPN, but we need to cut cable in order to lower our costs and meet our budget. Sally, I recognize that your gym membership is helping you lead a healthy and active lifestyle, but the monthly bill is too much right now, that is getting cut too. Kids, I know you all have obligations with school, but we need you to do more. We will need you to look into taking a job out of school hours to help contribute to the family income. Are you with me?

If these supposed leaders would shoot it straight, and level with us, I think the American FAMILY could all get on board with this. CUTS to our favorite programs, TAX HIKES, we could all do it, if these guys would level with us, and actually put all this sacrifice toward LOWERING our deficit and getting our budget in order. There are not many easy cuts, we recognize that. These programs normally serve some purpose to benefit someone in our American family. But that's why they call it sacrifice. And yes, that means cuts to even our most sacred programs like the military. Defense spending is out of control. As Gary Johnson said, defense spending should be about DEFENSE, not OFFENSE! There are a ton of other programs that could be cut.

I just wish they would all stop being politicians for once, and actually be leaders. Leading means making difficult decisions, not promising the ****ing world and turning a blind eye to the troubles ahead.

Buddy
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I wish that a president in modern times would actually treat Americans like adults. We can see that there is an economic crisis. And as with any crisis, real hard decisions need to be made. Sacrifices. Every family these days has to get together and have a talk and discuss strategy, why can't the government do that with us?

Heads of households everywhere in the country are bringing the kids together and saying that if we are to survive this, we need to make some sacrifices. See:

If these supposed leaders would shoot it straight, and level with us, I think the American FAMILY could all get on board with this. CUTS to our favorite programs, TAX HIKES, we could all do it, if these guys would level with us, and actually put all this sacrifice toward LOWERING our deficit and getting our budget in order. There are not many easy cuts, we recognize that. These programs normally serve some purpose to benefit someone in our American family. But that's why they call it sacrifice. And yes, that means cuts to even our most sacred programs like the military. Defense spending is out of control. As Gary Johnson said, defense spending should be about DEFENSE, not OFFENSE! There are a ton of other programs that could be cut.

I just wish they would all stop being politicians for once, and actually be leaders. Leading means making difficult decisions, not promising the ****ing world and turning a blind eye to the troubles ahead.

My name is Buddy Hand and I approve this message! I would look out for the black helicopters and Suburbans outside your house tonight for making sense...that crap will get you shot.

JackFinfan
10-12-2012, 07:38 PM

I think most of us on this forum and other politically savvy individuals would vote for someone who told the truth and played it straight. Unfortunately I believe the majority of America doesn't want to hear the truth. Most American's want sunshine blown up their @ss.

Buddy
10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I think most of us on this forum and other politically savvy individuals would vote for someone who told the truth and played it straight. Unfortunately I believe the majority of America doesn't want to hear the truth. Most American's want sunshine blown up their @ss.

In addition to the sunshine, they want to know what is in it for them and don't seen to care much how it affects everyone the country as a whole. It is the "Me" generation for sure.

cuzinvinny
10-12-2012, 08:44 PM

You don't have to believe Biden, but math doesn't lie. That's the problem with you partisan hacks; you're incapable of looking at what people are saying because you don't like the person saying it. What business could you run that raises profits by lowering income? Answer me that question...

After reading your post to Buddy about both sides needing to compromise, was surprised to see that we are in agreement. Feel your 100% right. There is alot of money sitting out there waiting to see some kind of stability with taxes and control of excessive gov. regulations, who intern will invest and create jobs and a much greater pool of tax payers to kitty in. And IMO most critical cut spending. And if we actually took cutting spending serious I'd have no problems with the rich paying more taxes. But need to see ligitimate legislation in the cutting dept. because Usually more revenue has just meant more spending. And finally we will have to come to odds that we all are going to have to make some serious sacrifices to bring down this deficet....

Hey I'll have you know I've spend major bucks on windex and I'am constanly cleaning the parts of my house that remain... damn stones...

Buddy
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM
After reading your post to Buddy about both sides needing to compromise, was surprised to see that we are in agreement. Feel your 100% right. There is alot of money sitting out there waiting to see some kind of stability with taxes and control of excessive gov. regulations, who intern will invest and create jobs and a much greater pool of tax payers to kitty in. And IMO most critical cut spending. And if we actually took cutting spending serious I'd have no problems with the rich paying more taxes. But need to see ligitimate legislation in the cutting dept. because Usually more revenue has just meant more spending. And finally we will have to come to odds that we all are going to have to make some serious sacrifices to bring down this deficet....

Hey I'll have you know I've spend major bucks on windex and I'am constanly cleaning the parts of my house that remain... damn stones...

When it comes down to it, i think most reasonable people would really support an administration - regardless of its party - that truly cut spending to the bone and raised taxes in order to pay down the deficit. The special interests and lobbyists are crushing our economy by creating favor and exceptions for their groups while screwing everyone else. Most all of our current politicians pander to one group or another at someone else's expense and we, as taxpayers and voters need to demand more. I an quickly beginning to believe that a reset of the party system and media here in the United States needs to happen sooner rather than later.