PDA

View Full Version : The FIRST most obvious sign of the PROBLEM!

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
President Barack Obama earns a base salary of $400,000 per year. He is also given a few nice bonuses like an annual expense account, a travel account and an entertainment stipend. These fringe benefits bring the Presidentís total salary to over $550,000 each year.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/how-much-money-does-the-president-make/

There can be NO rational explanation for this

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/romney-raises-1704-million-september_654564.html

And a broken system only gets worse from here, Can we the people please get together and reform this insanity?

:idk:

Locke
10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't mind that salary for President. It's a stressful job, and you're always the enemy to half the population.

My issue is the lobbyist influence in politics in general. I imagine there are senators who are making 10x that after you consider the money "donated to their campaign" by lobbyists...

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't mind that salary for President. It's a stressful job, and you're always the enemy to half the population.

My issue is the lobbyist influence in politics in general. I imagine there are senators who are making 10x that after you consider the money "donated to their campaign" by lobbyists...

Didn't even read the second link did ya?

:read:

Locke
10-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Didn't even read the second link did ya?

:read:

That link described contributions made to their campaigns. I'm not so naive as to think every penny goes to the campaign, but that's a different animal than the literal salary a sitting President receives...

JackFinfan
10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm more concerned about what politicians make after they leave. Especially individuals who are in charge of regulating an industry, and then getting hired by that industry after leaving their position. Politicians getting paid on the back end is way more costly to our nation than a $550,000 salary.

In regards to the $550,000...we are talking about probably the most stressful job you can have in the world. $550,000 (which includes benefits) is not an outrageous amount by any means. I mean you are almost working around the clock 365 days a year. Even when you're on "vacation" you still need to be briefed, and you're still making decisions. You need security the rest of your life. I just did a quick google search...there have been 20 assasination attempts, 4 killed presidents, and 2 injured. I believe Obama is the 44th President. So that means a little less than 10% of our Presidents have been killed. Talk about hazard pay lol :)

JackFinfan
10-15-2012, 05:10 PM
The bigger problem is the other link, we should have publicly financed elections. It's crazy how much they are spending for our vote.

rob19
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm not even sure what you're advocating. If you're suggesting it be less then I think you're crazy. Marlon Moore has a higher base salary than the President of the United States.

As far as election spending; yes, it's a lot of money that could be put to otherwise more useful things, & it puts politicians in a position where they need to borrow money from corporations, & in effect be sort of a slave to their interests. Don't know how you fix it though. If you say corporations can't donate then private citizens who own the corporations will donate. If you don't let anybody donate, then only the wealthiest politicians have a reasonable chance at winning. Not sure what the solution would be.

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
170 million in one month. for a job that pays 500k a year. thats a problem. i have no beef w/ presidential pay, especially when you consider the job. the amount of money generated and spent to secure that job? redonkulous

Eshlemon
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't see any financial problem at all. Presidents make a ton of money after office starting with $199,700 (as of 2011) lifetime pension the minute the president officially leaves office at noon on Inauguration Day. But the pension is miniscule to the millions in rewards from the office in books, speaking engagements, etc.

Other benefits are a "transition expense" over 30 months...no more than $150,000 a year...a maximum $96,000 in salaries. A lifetime of free healtchare. Don't know if should be called a benefit, maybe a consequence of being President would be better for the minimum 10 years secret service protection and longer if Homeland Security thinks its warranted as well as free travel covered for him and 2 staff for things related to office.

Sure its a hard, stressful, underpaid 4-8 years but after this "internship", Presidents are set for life financialy.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/presretirement.htm

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks like I'm gonna need a lot more spoons than i first thought :woohoo:

PhinsFreak
10-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I have no problem with how much money the president makes. When it is all said and done the president makes less than no-talent actors. What I do have a problem with is elections being bought by other countries. Candidates should not be able to be funded by other countries. Where did most of Obama's funds come from back in 2008? Americans? Nope! His buddies in the middle east, like Saudi Arabia and Iran, not to mention a boat load from China. Other countries should not be allowed to help fund out elections!!

Eshlemon
10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
170 million in one month. for a job that pays 500k a year. thats a problem. i have no beef w/ presidential pay, especially when you consider the job. the amount of money generated and spent to secure that job? redonkulous

The money raised is spent for the power of he office, what number can you put on that? The Debate was big for Romney, even after the $170 million the President had raised $432 million to Romneys $279 million and outside group $180 million to $90 million.

http://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
The money raised is spent for the power of he office, what number can you put on that? The Debate was big for Romney, even after the $170 million the President had raised $432 million to Romneys $279 million and outside group $180 million to $90 million.

http://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/

Which is........... a problem.

TaDa

Locke
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I have no problem with how much money the president makes. When it is all said and done the president makes less than no-talent actors. What I do have a problem with is elections being bought by other countries. Candidates should not be able to be funded by other countries. Where did most of Obama's funds come from back in 2008? Americans? Nope! His buddies in the middle east, like Saudi Arabia and Iran, not to mention a boat load from China. Other countries should not be allowed to help fund out elections!!

Link? That's a pretty serious accusation you're making...

CedarPhin
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Saudi Arabia AND Iran are his buddies now? They don't like each other, let alone us. China's buying our elections?
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/10/54b3e46b_notsureifserious-1.jpeg

TheWalrus
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Marlon Moore has a higher base salary than the President of the United States.

:lol:

Post/point of the day. Maybe the week.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Looks like I'm gonna need a lot more spoons than i first thought :woohoo:

I agree. It's got to be hard shoveling bull**** with something that small.

PhinsFreak
10-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Have you ever heard the term, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" ? China is not "friends" with Saudi Arabia but they share common interests in regards to Obama being elected. Guess What? They both want him re-elected because of his agenda. There is a reason why he is so soft on foreign policy in regards to the middle east. There is a reason why he won't support Israel. you want a link to his 2008 campaign funds, showing you who funded him? Yeah, so does everyone who didn't vote for him. Good luck. Obama had the largest pool of unidentified money that has ever flooded a presidential election. If you donate under $200 you don't have to give their name. So, how many Saudi and Chinese donations were made in the amount of $199? AHA More than half of his 426 MILLION dollars came from SMALL donors, you know, the secret kind.

CedarPhin
10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Have you ever heard the term, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" ? China is not "friends" with Saudi Arabia but they share common interests in regards to Obama being elected. Guess What? They both want him re-elected because of his agenda. There is a reason why he is so soft on foreign policy in regards to the middle east. There is a reason why he won't support Israel. you want a link to his 2008 campaign funds, showing you who funded him? Yeah, so does everyone who didn't vote for him. Good luck. Obama had the largest pool of unidentified money that has ever flooded a presidential election. If you donate under $200 you don't have to give their name. So, how many Saudi and Chinese donations were made in the amount of $199? AHA More than half of his 426 MILLION dollars came from SMALL donors, you know, the secret kind.

What have we done that's made things cooler for the Saudis or Iranians? We've put the "toughest sanctions evarrr!!111!" on Iran, and we haven't exactly done anything great for the Saudis. The two of them are on drastically different ends of the Middle Eastern soap opera right now, and they're busy playing proxy v. proxy with each other. I don't see what we're doing right now that's Saudi- or Iran-centric?

The Chinese have done business with us since the Nixon administration. We don't trust them, and like 7% of our debt's owned by them, so I'm not seeing what's really China-centric about any of our policy other than buying cheap **** from them, which we've been doing for the last 40 years.

You don't make any sense with anything you've posted. You sound like Joe from Wyoming's tinfoil hat wearing uncle.

PhinsFreak
10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
What have we done that's made things cooler for the Saudis or Iranians? We've put the "toughest sanctions evarrr!!111!" on Iran, and we haven't exactly done anything great for the Saudis. The two of them are on drastically different ends of the Middle Eastern soap opera right now, and they're busy playing proxy v. proxy with each other. I don't see what we're doing right now that's Saudi- or Iran-centric?

The Chinese have done business with us since the Nixon administration. We don't trust them, and like 7% of our debt's owned by them, so I'm not seeing what's really China-centric about any of our policy other than buying cheap **** from them, which we've been doing for the last 40 years.

You don't make any sense with anything you've posted. You sound like Joe from Wyoming's tinfoil hat wearing uncle.

Insults? Wow, I guess this happens on every forum when people just can't have a mature debate.

Those "tough sanctions" haven't slowed down Iran's nuclear program one bit. USATODAY Saudi's have much to gain from having a Muslim president in the White House.

Obama is keeping things rolling with China that his buddy Clinton started. Clinton ruined this economy with his trade bill with China.

Have you been to the Middle East lately? It's not looking so good over there and in another four year in this direction could be devestating to the entire world, not just the US.

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
:lol:

Post/point of the day. Maybe the week.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I agree. It's got to be hard shoveling bull**** with something that small.

That's not what your mom says :rimshot: Did ya ever find out what salting means in union speak? :chuckle:

PhinsFreak
10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
P.S. Saudi Arabia And China Team Up To Build A Gigantic New Oil Refinery. Is This The Beginning Of The End For The Petrodollar?

JamesBW43
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
It just keeps getting better and better.

TheWalrus
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
That's not what your mom says :rimshot: Did ya ever find out what salting means in union speak? :chuckle:

So you're saying you have a small dick? Figures.

Nope, still don't know what salting is. And don't care. That was like four or five dumps ago.

Spesh
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Insults? Wow, I guess this happens on every forum when people just can't have a mature debate.

Those "tough sanctions" haven't slowed down Iran's nuclear program one bit. USATODAY Saudi's have much to gain from having a Muslim president in the White House.

Obama is keeping things rolling with China that his buddy Clinton started. Clinton ruined this economy with his trade bill with China.

Have you been to the Middle East lately? It's not looking so good over there and in another four year in this direction could be devestating to the entire world, not just the US.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/10/obvioustroll-1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

TheWalrus
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Have you been to the Middle East lately?

You have? Seriously? Do tell.

CedarPhin
10-15-2012, 08:00 PM

It's tough to take someone seriously who's got it in their head that Iran and Saudi Arabia are running things behind the curtains of the palace. If anything, we're more Israel-centric in that part of the world, a line that we've towed since 1948. We don't even buy most of our oil from the Saudis or the Iranians, most of ours comes from Venezuela and Canada, not to mention we're a net exporter of our energy. Your theories of Iran and Saudi Afradia somehow putting aside their Biggie v. Tupac rhetoric, and going Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg on the rest of the world doesn't hold much water at all, especially if you'd even bother to examine the politics of that region. It makes you sound like Dale Gribble. What's next? UN Shocktroops storming the shores of the US to take our grilled cheese sandwiches away?

We don't have a Muslim in the White House. Again, you look like a complete jackass typing something like that. How do you expect for anyone to take you seriously? Well, no one does, but it's not like you do a good job trying to build any credibility.

We've had a good trading relationship with the Chinese since the 1970s. NAFTA screwed us more with affairs north and south of the border, not China. Companies started outsourcing jobs in the 70s and 80s, it's hardly a recent phenomenon.

I've actually been more than a few times. It's just a big ****around right now. The Iran situation is hardly the Cuban Missile Crisis part II, though. Neither side is going to attack the other. You're more likely just to see more and more proxy wars being fought in various hot spots around that area. It's not going to bring the end of the world.

Dolphins9954
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Wrong. That would be Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citigroup and Bain Capital. You know the same people funding Romney's campaign.

Tetragrammaton
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't understand what your first link has to do with your second link.

However, I think it is funny that Iran is friends with the United States now.

Dolphins9954
10-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Speaking of Iran......

7jR7_WiHI1g

IRON SHEIK!!!!!!!!!

Tetragrammaton
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
What do far-right types think McCain would have done so differently in foreign policy as President? Obama continued virtually all of Bush's directive.

Dolphins9954
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM
What do far-right types think McCain would have done so differently in foreign policy as President? Obama continued virtually all of Bush's directive.

Mccain would have least told us "Freedom isn't Free. It costs a buck o' five".

XE8BgQzyktE

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 08:54 PM
So you're saying you have a small dick? Figures.

Nope, still don't know what salting is. And don't care. That was like four or five dumps ago.

Nope, saying it's all a matter of your perspective. A 747 looks small when it's flying through the Grand Canyon. I'm saying of course it would look small to your stretched out sloppy....eyes:lol2:

slow down on the dumps son....you seem to be losing I.Q. points with every trip

TheWalrus
10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Nope, saying it's all a matter of your perspective. A 747 looks small when it's flying through the Grand Canyon. I'm saying of course it would look small to your stretched out sloppy....eyes:lol2:

slow down on the dumps son....you seem to be losing I.Q. points with every trip

Which is what I'm sure you told the woman you had to pay to take your virginity.

MoFinz
10-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Which is what I'm sure you told the woman you had to pay to take your virginity.

Hey, she was there, i had the McDonalds gift certificates in my pocket..........how was your happy meal? :d-day:

Tetragrammaton
10-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I wish we had a secret sub-forum where only people from 2008 could post.

Eshlemon
10-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Which is........... a problem.

TaDa

Sucks, but what to do? The genies out of the bottle and neither party will ever trust the other to accept public presidential campaign financing again.

MoFinz
10-16-2012, 08:46 AM
i wish we had a secret sub-forum where only people from 2008 could post.

amen!

MoFinz
10-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Sucks, but what to do? The genies out of the bottle and neither party will ever trust the other to accept public presidential campaign financing again.

If we, the people, make it an issue they have no choice. The populace by and large are fine to sit there and chew cud while the elected leaders do as they will, not as we will.

JackFinfan
10-16-2012, 06:56 PM
If we, the people, make it an issue they have no choice. The populace by and large are fine to sit there and chew cud while the elected leaders do as they will, not as we will.

I firmly believe that nothing changes in Washington until we have publicly financed elections. It would be nice to have a President in office who doesn't owe a billion favors to various parties who financed their campaign.

TheWalrus
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I firmly believe that nothing changes in Washington until we have publicly financed elections. It would be nice to have a President in office who doesn't owe a billion favors to various parties who financed their campaign.

Agreed. This has been my #1 pet issue for the better part of a decade.

phinfan3411
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I wish we had a secret sub-forum where only people from 2008 could post.

I am just bringing this to the top to prove its existence.