PDA

View Full Version : Jets super fan Fireman Ed deletes Twitter account; leaves game at halftime

zaskarkid
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Published November 23, 2012 | By Jason Whitney (http://sports-kings.com/author/spo2424/)

During the New York Jets Thanksgiving day massacre, superfan and possibly the most famous fan in all of sports, Fireman Ed saw enough. Fireman Ed aka Ed Anzalone could not take the debacle that took place against the hated New England Patriots during the second quarter. The Patriots 35 second quarter points are now fourth all-time for most points (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321122020) scored in a quarter. That probably would make even though most optimistic fan want to leave. The Patriots would go on to win 49-19 in the nightcap of the Thanksgiving day games.
According to ESPN New York (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/18107/notes-where-art-ed?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter):

Fireman Ed, aka Ed Anzalone, apparently couldn’t take the debacle of a second quarter and left at the half. That is according to Twitter users who say they sat in his section. Anzalone’s own Twitter account was deactivated during the game as well. Not a banner night for the team, and not for an icon of a New York Jets fan either.
Former nose tackle and analyst Kris Jenkins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2592/kris-jenkins) noticed. “Fireman Ed deleted his account?” Jenkins tweeted. “Wow thought he was a diehard fan? Guess he went back to the Dolphins.”

teemu7
11-23-2012, 07:23 PM
fireman ed is a total fraud.

Daytona Fin
11-25-2012, 11:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8675816/new-york-jets-superfan-fireman-ed-hangs-helmet
Bwahahahaha. Retired from what?

New York Jets superfan Fireman Ed, who for decades has fueled home crowds with his famous "J-E-T-S!" cheer, has decided to "R-E-T-I-R-E!"

Debby Wong/US PresswireEd Anzalone, better known as Fireman Ed, has been a Jets fan since 1975.

Ed Anzalone, who created a stir Thanksgiving night when he left MetLife Stadium at halftime of the Jets' 49-19 loss to the New England Patriots and deleted his Twitter account, announced Sunday night that he no longer will attend home games as Fireman Ed.

The hits just keep coming for the 4-7 Jets, who became a national laughingstock with a mistake-filled performance on national TV.

Anzalone, in a guest column for Metro New York, explains that the Jets' poor season isn't the reason why he has decided to hang up his fireman's helmet. He writes he left the game because "confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic."

He says he also left early during the previous home game, a 30-9 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Daytona Fin
11-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Sanchez killed fireman ed.lmao.

Anzalone cites his loyalty to embattled starting quarterback Mark Sanchez as the cause of the confrontations.

"The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy," he claims. "The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year, and that fans think I am on the payroll -- which is an outright lie -- have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it's in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis."

Fireman Ed always used to wear No. 42 (Bruce Harper's old jersey), but he switched to Sanchez in a show of support. During the 2010 season, Anzalone, who rarely attends road games, flew to Pittsburgh and sat near the Jets' bench because he wanted to be there for the then-slumping Sanchez.

ike Sanchez's father, Anzalone is a retired firefighter. He didn't return messages seeking comment.

Fireman Ed, 53, has been a Jets fan since 1975. He popularized the cheer that's known around the NFL: "J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!" For the 2012 season opener, he was invited by the team to participate in the pregame ceremony, leading the cheer from midfield.

He was a staple at Jets home games, leading his cheer from his seat at MetLife Stadium. He always appeared on the JumboTron and often received face time on the game telecast. In September 2009, he received a game ball from coach Rex Ryan after the Jets upset the Patriots at home.

Anzalone was well-known throughout the league. He once said he was walking through a stadium parking lot when Patriots owner Robert Kraft drove up in a limo, rolled down the window and complimented him for being a positive influence on the league.

Fireman Ed said he will continue to root for the Jets and attend games, just not in his usual garb.

"I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports," he says. "I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes."

TANanhasaBUSH
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--jets-hit-new-low-as-superfan--fireman-ed--quits-his-beloved-team-for-season-030828017.html

WOWOW NEW LOW for the J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!

TheJetsBlow
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Lmfao.

WVDolphan
11-26-2012, 01:08 AM
:lol:

Junc should come in as a scab Fireman Ed and try to steal the role.

Thumper1016
11-26-2012, 01:10 AM

PhinsPhan11
11-26-2012, 01:13 AM
:lol: :lol:

JCane
11-26-2012, 01:32 AM

Fireman Ed is a retired fireman.

What does junc do for a living other than know it all? He needs a gimmick.

Right now I'm calling him Sherlock Spin.

CalDolFan1014
11-26-2012, 01:33 AM
:lol: Too funny!

Tzimisce_
11-26-2012, 02:13 AM
You should see the Jets Insider thread over this. its gold.

MP-Omnis
11-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Somebody call Paramedic Joe.

NY8123
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Fireman Ed is a retired fireman.

What does junc do for a living other than know it all? He needs a gimmick.

Right now I'm calling him Sherlock Spin.

Sounds to me like you slap a fireman's helmet on him and let ol' Bobby Barker say "Come on down you're the next contestant on who wants to lead the Jets ****y chant tonight!"

JCane
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Q! U! I! T!

Quit!

Quit!

Quit!

WVDolphan
11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
http://deadspin.com/5963209/dear-fireman-ed-f+u+c+k-off-off-off

:lol: Enjoy this.

Tunaphish429
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I love it...i hate this ****ing guy...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
http://deadspin.com/5963209/dear-fireman-ed-f+u+c+k-off-off-off

:lol: Enjoy this.

"This isn't Afghanistan. You don't get extra credit for sticking around."

:)

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

"I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic."

whoa, talk about bull**** mountain. :crazy:

NY8123
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

THE KIDS DID NOT COME TO SEE FIREMAN ED. You're not Santa Claus. Are you Santa Claus? No, you can't possibly be, because Santa is awesome and you're terrible. You're a guy who yells. You know what I do if my kid wants to hang around a grown man wearing a fireman costume? I NOTIFY THE AREA PAROLE BOARD.

I'm still ****ing laughing about this!!!!

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM

I appreciate what he does(or did) but I'm not a chanter so I wouldn't be a good candidate to replace him.

I think this is an attention grabbing move by him, this is the same guy who didn't show up at most games when we stunk in the 90s then got some fame w/ our '98 run and has taken off ever since as our unofficial mascot.

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I appreciate what he does(or did) but I'm not a chanter so I wouldn't be a good candidate to replace him.

I think this is an attention grabbing move by him, this is the same guy who didn't show up at most games when we stunk in the 90s then got some fame w/ our '98 run and has taken off ever since as our unofficial mascot.

So, he's like most jets fans on this site.... only show up when they are decent (or better than the fins) and hide when **** hits the fan. Seems about right.

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
So, he's like most jets fans on this site.... only show up when they are decent (or better than the fins) and hide when **** hits the fan. Seems about right.

I think most fans in geberal are like that, I'm a rare one who shows up win or lose.

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I think most fans in geberal are like that, I'm a rare one who shows up win or lose.

true, but I think its time you change your avatar.

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
true, but I think its time you change your avatar.

is the new one better?

Adam First
11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Fireman Ed is a self-centered reject who likes to believe he's the "voice" of Jets fans when in reality most Jets fans hate him.

But isn't that typical of such a terrible fanbase?

Captain Jet is lightyears ahead of Fireman Ed.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/11/1349496197923-1.gif

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Fireman Ed is a self-centered reject who likes to believe he's the "voice" of Jets fans when in reality most Jets fans hate him.

But isn't that typical of such a terrible fanbase?

Captain Jet is lightyears ahead of Fireman Ed.

I hate Captain jet, he's a guy who popped up around '05 or so. Whenever they show him on TV bad things happen.

our fanbase sucks, I wish we had 30,000 fans dressed up as orange seats like the great dolphin fanbase.

NY8123
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM

I'd be pissed if I was a Jets fan and this douchebag was an "unofficial Mascot" Who the **** voted him in as a mascot, kind of like how the Dallas Cowboys call themselves "America's Team". Go **** yourself Jerry Jones, I didn't get a vote so piss off with your slogan, you're America's assclown along with Fireman Ed.

Yeah there's an idea, why not have Cowboy Ed and bundle all the assclowns into one nifty little package and ship them all off to Dallas where I only have to see them once a year on Thanksgiving. ****ing Fireman Ed, he is a douchebag of epic proportions even by a Jets fan's standard. He belongs in Dallas with Jerry (I'm so high on myself I don't even realize my team sucks) Jones and the Texas mentality that we aren't part of Merica, aight! We're Texas gods biggest reason to why cows and oil is great, aight!

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I'd be pissed if I was a Jets fan and this douchebag was an "unofficial Mascot" Who the **** voted him in as a mascot, kind of like how the Dallas Cowboys call themselves "America's Team". Go **** yourself Jerry Jones, I didn't get a vote so piss off with your slogan, you're America's assclown along with Fireman Ed.

Yeah there's an idea, why not have Cowboy Ed and bundle all the assclowns into one nifty little package and ship them all off to Dallas where I only have to see them once a year on Thanksgiving. ****ing Fireman Ed, he is a douchebag of epic proportions even by a Jets fan's standard. He belongs in Dallas with Jerry (I'm so high on myself I don't even realize my team sucks) Jones and the Texas mentality that we aren't part of Merica, aight! We're Texas gods biggest reason to why cows and oil is great, aight!

To be fair he does organize the chant so he deserves some credit for that. Again, I'm not a chanter but it does sound nice when the whole stadium is doing it. My problem w/ him was always that he portrayed himself to be someone that was there every game and when we stunk in the 90s he wasn't.

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 03:28 PM
To be fair he does organize the chant so he deserves some credit for that. Again, I'm not a chanter but it does sound nice when the whole stadium is doing it. My problem w/ him was always that he portrayed himself to be someone that was there every game and when we stunk in the 90s he wasn't.

were you there in the 90's for every game?

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 03:30 PM
were you there in the 90's for every game?

yep, didn't miss a single game.

JCane
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Admit it. You're Fireman Ed aren't you?

Just tell us. I promise no one here will say anything.

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Admit it. You're Fireman Ed aren't you?

Just tell us. I promise no one here will say anything.

No, I'm Eli Manning.

JCane
11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
No, I'm Eli Manning.

You're elite!

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 03:46 PM

have you ever missed a game?

ps. thanks for changing your avatar... lol!!!!

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
have you ever missed a game?

ps. thanks for changing your avatar... lol!!!!

Sure, pre-1990 I only went to 4 games total as a kid.

-=DolfanDave=-
11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Sure, pre-1990 I only went to 4 games total as a kid.

god, that must have sucked. All that losing and sucking you witnessed.

Quadfather
11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8675816/new-york-jets-superfan-fireman-ed-hangs-helmet

I dont blame him, the Jets suck and so do their fans..we need to get him to join the dolphins down in south beach...Miami is a nice retirement labode...:rolleyes2:

Finland
11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Proves nothing. I think a good fan should revolt. A lame fan does nothing and screams "we're great". Which are you?

nyjunc
11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
god, that must have sucked. All that losing and sucking you witnessed.

I did see a lot of bad teams, I don't think I can handle another era like that.

coalesce
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I had read comments on other sites (specifically the Pro Football Talk site) about what an ass-hat Fireman Ed is/was. I was at a few Dolphins-Jets games in NJ and I always thought he was entertaining. Just like Dolfan Denny, I can understand his enthusiasm, although I'd be hard-pressed to replicate it in public, and I can certainly understand his present disenchantment. I think I would've handled it differently, though. I just would've gone back to the Bruce Harper jersey, or maybe a Dennis Byrd or Joe Klecko or even Stan Waldemore. Sanchez is too much of a lighting rod.

Oh well...

Michael

number1fin
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Shame we couldn't force him out after the ass whooping we put on the Jets.

Darn Patriots, always get the dag on job done.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/11/ts-1.jpg

JCane
11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I did see a lot of bad teams, I don't think I can handle another era like that.

You're doing pretty good so far wouldn't you say?

We here at FinHeaven are rooting for you.

NY8123
11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I'll take who's the only NFL team to ever have a mascot quit during the season for 1000 Alex.

Dolfandenny
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Thouht it was funny ol fireman Ed is throwing in the towel. Says he will still attend the games but not as Fireman Ed. They are saying he is an ex Dolphin fan. Really? He was catching flack wearing a Sanchez jersey and left at halftime last week. Awww Too bad.

flynryan15
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
This article deserves a Pulitzer!

http://m.deadspin.com/5963209/dear-fireman-ed-f+u+c+k-off-off-off

Adam First
11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xGGgz5TcI

Daytona Fin
11-26-2012, 10:36 PM

:possum4286:

PhinzN703
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM
:possum4286:

"Sanchez you piece of ****! You suck!"

What a great yet expected video. Lolz!! :lol:

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
You're doing pretty good so far wouldn't you say?

We here at FinHeaven are rooting for you.

I said era not year, this year sucks but it's better than the average dolphin season of the past decade. You guys have been in worse shape than us at our bottom b/c at least in the 90s we still won a playoff game and made a title game. It's been 12 years(and counting) since your last playoff win.

MarshallFin1
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
sounds like a bandwagon fan to me.

Johnny O
11-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Replacement was announced this morning. "Douchey the bag"
More relatable to the fan base,

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Replacement was announced this morning. "Douchey the bag"
More relatable to the fan base,

there's plenty of room for comedy in this thread, I would delete your awful joke and try again.

Johnny O
11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
there's plenty of room for comedy in this thread, I would delete your awful joke and try again.
What???? I don't think I want to live in a world where a sports mascot dressed as a giant douche isn't funny.
Besides I was a season ticket holder for years before they hit me with a ridiculous PSl. Don't think calling the fan base douchey is a reach.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
What???? I don't think I want to live in a world where a sports mascot dressed as a giant douche isn't funny.
Besides I was a season ticket holder for years before they hit me with a ridiculous PSl. Don't think calling the fan base douchey is a reach.

there's no problem making a joke about him or the fanbase just make it funny. "douchey the bag" is not a good one.

Johnny O
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
there's no problem making a joke about him or the fanbase just make it funny. "douchey the bag" is not a good one.
OK, last chance. team scores, out comes a guy in a giant douche costume who points his nozzle at the crowd and sprays them with a solution of vinegar and water......Nothing?

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
OK, last chance. team scores, out comes a guy in a giant douche costume who points his nozzle at the crowd and sprays them with a solution of vinegar and water......Nothing?

I give you credit for trying:lol:

Phin-o-rama
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Wow lol

JCane
11-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I said era not year, this year sucks but it's better than the average dolphin season of the past decade. You guys have been in worse shape than us at our bottom b/c at least in the 90s we still won a playoff game and made a title game. It's been 12 years(and counting) since your last playoff win.

You know you're having a bad decade when you have to start comparing your lousy decade to the Dolphins lousy decade lol.

Doesn't matter who has had the worse decade when your team has had a poor decade regardless.

You're too concerned with the Dolphins, junk. I've never sat around and said, "Well, at least we're not the Raiders."

Who gives a **** about good years or bad years for other teams.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
You know you're having a bad decade when you have to start comparing your lousy decade to the Dolphins lousy decade lol.

Doesn't matter who has had the worse decade when your team has had a poor decade regardless.

You're too concerned with the Dolphins, junk. I've never sat around and said, "Well, at least we're not the Raiders."

Who gives a **** about good years or bad years for other teams.

our team has been one of the best teams in the AFC in the last decade so how did we have a poor decade?

JCane
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
our team has been one of the best teams in the AFC in the last decade so how did we have a poor decade?

Why? Because you backed into the playoffs twice?

Spare the rest of my afternoon, please.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Why? Because you backed into the playoffs twice?

Spare the rest of my afternoon, please.

yep we backed in twice, hey if elite eli could back into 2 SBs then I guess we can back into to 2 postseasons:rolleyes2:

you are better than this cane

JCane
11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
yep we backed in twice, hey if elite eli could back into 2 SBs then I guess we can back into to 2 postseasons:rolleyes2:

you are better than this cane

You don't back into to Super Bowls lol.

You certainly don't back into winning them.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
You don't back into to Super Bowls lol.

You certainly don't back into winning them.

oh you only back into postseasons, got it:rolleyes2::lol:

JCane
11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
oh you only back into postseasons, got it:rolleyes2::lol:

I consider backing into the playoffs as "well we need this team to beat that team so that we can get in."

If you're not in control of your own destiny and need help, you're backing in.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I consider backing into the playoffs as "well we need this team to beat that team so that we can get in."

If you're not in control of your own destiny and need help, you're backing in.

when did that happen? the only year we lost week 17 was 2004 and all we needed was a tie, Buf had lost and we knkew that so we attempted a long FG in OT at SL late in OT.

The bottom line is this, the teams that make the playoffs win the required amount they win in that particular year to qualify for the playoffs. Whether we start 0-7 and win the last 9 or start 9-0 and lose the last 7 if we get in we deserve it and have earned it.

There's no such thing as backing in.

The New Guy
11-27-2012, 03:11 PM

I always find it comical when you compare the Jets best 12 years in franchise history to the Dolphins worst. Especially when it is not all that much better.

AFC EAST

W
L
T
PCT
S.B Wins
Super Bowl Appear.
Playoff Appear.

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

In the Dolphins worst 12 years and the Jets best 12 years, the Jets only have 7 more regular season wins, and 3 more playoffs apps. The Jets barely made it at 9-7 (X2) and 10-6 (X3) while Miami missed at 9-7 (x2) and 10-6. The Jets have barely made the playoffs several times (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009) and the Dolphins just missed out several times. A play here or there, another win or loss by another team (that the Jets or Dolphins had nothing to do with), and it very well could be the Dolphins (in their worst 12 years) who have more playoff apps than the Jets in their best 12 years.

nyjunc
11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
I always find it comical when you compare the Jets best 12 years in franchise history to the Dolphins worst. Especially when it is not all that much better.

AFC EAST

W
L
T
PCT
S.B Wins
Super Bowl Appear.
Playoff Appear.

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

In the Dolphins worst 12 years and the Jets best 12 years, the Jets only have 7 more regular season wins, and 3 more playoffs apps. The Jets barely made it at 9-7 (X2) and 10-6 (X3) while Miami missed at 9-7 (x2) and 10-6. The Jets have barely made the playoffs several times (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009) and the Dolphins just missed out several times. A play here or there, another win or loss by another team (that the Jets or Dolphins had nothing to do with), and it very well could be the Dolphins (in their worst 12 years) who have more playoff apps than the Jets in their best 12 years.

playoff apps 2002-2011:

NYJ 5
Miami 1

playoff wins:
NYJ 6
Miami ZERO

don't be confused b/c we lost 2003, 2005 and 2007 to QB injuries.

Our 4 playoff wins since 2009 is more than Miami 1995-2011

Mr_Freezetag
11-27-2012, 03:17 PM

AFC EAST

W
L
T
PCT
S.B Wins
Super Bowl Appear.
Playoff Appear.

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

That deserves a "BOOM"

Well put

PhinzN703
12-01-2012, 01:45 AM
playoff apps 2002-2011:

NYJ 5
Miami 1

playoff wins:
NYJ 6
Miami ZERO

Our 4 playoff wins since 2009 is more than Miami 1995-2011

Same amount of Super Bowl appearances (save for 1984) and wins since 1974. Who gives a ****?

MadDog 88
12-01-2012, 05:10 AM
playoff apps 2002-2011:

NYJ 5
Miami 1

playoff wins:
NYJ 6
Miami ZERO

Our 4 playoff wins since 2009 is more than Miami 1995-2011Anytime you want to compare the histories of these franchises, feel free. Comical how you only want to discuss the last decade when you look back in history. Overall, the Jets are not even close to the Dolphins.

And the Jets are not in the conversation of being one of the best teams of the last decade.

jetsattack
12-01-2012, 08:57 AM

I dont blame him, the Jets suck and so do their fans..we need to get him to join the dolphins down in south beach...Miami is a nice retirement labode...:rolleyes2:

new chant "F E E D Feed The Wolf!!!!"

or did the wolf die already?

Daytona Fin
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
new chant "F E E D Feed The Wolf!!!!"

or did the wolf die already?

No it ran to new jersey with his tail between his legs.