PDA

View Full Version : Greg Schiano proposed a rule change to eliminate kickoffs.

PolitePolite
12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
This Greg Schiano is a buffoon. He just proposed a rule change that would eliminate kickoffs. Once a team scores, they would get the ball back at their own 30. It would be 4th and 15, and they would have option to either try to get the 1st down, or punt it away to the other team. First the QB kneels, and now this. Can't stand this douche.
Here is the link if you guys want to read more.
http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/

Wildbill3
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't care for it either. However, we'd probably have a better chance of pinning a team inside the 10 with fields than we do with carpenter.

CaSh
12-06-2012, 03:47 PM
So with this rule 1 team could potentially have the ball the ENTIRE GAME.

Dmarino110
12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Greg is not the 1st to propose it...this was on the table last year at the owners meetings, as was eliminating hits on qbs completely...

like it or not, the NFL is going to start changing more rules to keep the players saferish, and they will not stop until the owners stop making money. but yeah they talked about this, at least paid it lip service last year

Ferretsquig
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
That drastic of a change isn't all that likely but I could see something coming that will try to put a buffer on the speed at which these guys are coming at one another on kickoffs.

TheWalrus
12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Sure would make punters highly paid.

Sirspud
12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Once "make it, take it" is in place, then we can start playing half court football, which will save on maintenance costs.

Jamaicankid21
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Interesting. Not saying I like it, but its interesting to say the least. So if a team is down by 10, they get a TD, instead of hoping for an onside kick, they would just have to convert a 4th and 15 and get a new set of downs.

JackFinfan
12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
So with this rule 1 team could potentially have the ball the ENTIRE GAME.

technically, you could potentially have the ball the entire game with the current rules in place. Just keep kicking onside kicks and recovering them.

SkapePhin
12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I can understand player safety, but not to this extent. To change the way the game is played for safety isn't the right approach IMO. The players understand the risks involved. If they don't want to have these issues later in life, they have the option to quit. For we see UFC instituting rules to make their sport safer? I'm sure getting punched in the face repeatedly is a lot more harmful than football.

madmic21
12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
He has first hand knowledge of the dangers of kick returns with Eric Legrand. However, there is serious danger in every play. Somebody is going to get killed at some point... What do we do about that? Quit playing the game? The players know or at least should know that they face serious injury or death everytime the ball is snapped. Most are paid a lot of money and all have the option to not play. I agree the game should be made as safe as possible, but there is soon coming a time where the known risks are apart of it due to the compensation they recieve. With that said, as long as the money keeps flying in the have no reason to do anything other than make the game as safe as possible.

Travis34
12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I'd rather go back to how it used to be anyways

Ferretsquig
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree the game should be made as safe as possible, but there is soon coming a time where the known risks are apart of it due to the compensation they recieve. With that said, as long as the money keeps flying in the have no reason to do anything other than make the game as safe as possible.

I'd argue that when it comes to concussions the real goal should be to effect the game on all levels, with the professionals leading the way. There are a lot of kids smacking their heads together at 20 mph without the medical plan that covers them long after retirement.

AquaInferno
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Once "make it, take it" is in place, then we can start playing half court football, which will save on maintenance costs.

Exactly Schiano is trying to make this into some street ball "winner's outs" style that you see on the black top. Worst idea relating to kickoffs EVER.

CChambers84
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
This is stupid, some of the most electric game changes plays come from kick offs. Without kicks offs theres no way we win that MFN against the Jets. Or no way the Saints get momemtum on their side during the onside kick in the SB

Birdmond
12-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I love this.

KTDolphins
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
No way!! Would totally change the game for the worse. This player safety hooplah is getting out of hand.

JCane
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
The NFL is terrified of the great Matt Bosher.

silverfin
12-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Once a team scores, they would get the ball back at their own 30. It would be 4th and 15, and they would have option to either try to get the 1st down, or punt it away to the other team.

Surely it'd make more sense for the team that gave up the score to start at their own 20.

I wouldn't be surprised to see kickoffs eliminated some day.

SizzlingFins04
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
If this rule is proposed and passed they better make the superbowl best out of 3 games -_-

roy_miami
12-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Interesting. Not saying I like it, but its interesting to say the least. So if a team is down by 10, they get a TD, instead of hoping for an onside kick, they would just have to convert a 4th and 15 and get a new set of downs.

This is the part I don't like. The chances of recovering an onside was probably about even throughout the league, with this rule the team that has Tom Brady will have an enormous advantage in recovering the ball after a score over a lot of teams. Remember when we had Pennington? It was basically a guaranteed punt coming up if we had a 3rd and 10.

A team like the Patriots against a defense like ours could easily come back from 21 down with 4 or 5 minutes left. If they are going to do this I think the ball should still have to come off somebodies foot after a score.

roy_miami
12-08-2012, 02:46 AM
This is stupid, some of the most electric game changes plays come from kick offs. Without kicks offs theres no way we win that MFN against the Jets. Or no way the Saints get momemtum on their side during the onside kick in the SB

Punt returns can be pretty electrifying too.

Daytona Fin
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
If they ever decide to play this way, I think it would be safe to say that there will be other teams joining the dolphins in perfectville.

DphinBillkiller
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm not really in favor of it though reducing injuries is a admirable objective.

utahphinsfan
12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Meanwhile, The overtime rule has improved.

But, it needs to be the EXACT same as College.

FinsNCanes
12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I have an idea. If they are that worried about player safety they should IMPROVE THE ****ING EQUIPMENT and *gasp* teach people how to tackle so they aren't lunging in with their heads like they do now. We already know majority of players don't use the latest gear. If it gets any worse I don't see how anyone could watch football.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

This is the part I don't like. The chances of recovering an onside was probably about even throughout the league, with this rule the team that has Tom Brady will have an enormous advantage in recovering the ball after a score over a lot of teams. Remember when we had Pennington? It was basically a guaranteed punt coming up if we had a 3rd and 10.

A team like the Patriots against a defense like ours could easily come back from 21 down with 4 or 5 minutes left. If they are going to do this I think the ball should still have to come off somebodies foot after a score.

Apparently they did a "calculations" and the % was just about even with onside recovers and 4th and 15 success rate. Its' still stupid as ****.