PDA

View Full Version : Green Rats Jumping Ship? DC Pettine Declines An Extension!

Vaark
12-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Per PFT

dd defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s name to the list of Jets employees who may be looking to leave. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Pettine has turned down an offer to extend his contract (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/12/jets-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine-turns-down-contract-extension-according-to-sour). Absent a new deal, Pettine will become a free agent after the season.
The Jets have a top-10 defense this year, despite having a bottom-two offense.
Unless Pettine is holding out for more money, it’s possible that he has grown weary of laboring in the shadow of coach Rex Ryan, who gets most of the credit for the performance of the team’s defense.
Like the contract of Saints coach Sean Payton, the specific expiration date of Pettine’s deal could become a key factor. If the deal doesn’t end until, say, January 31 and if the Jets opt not to release him before then, Pettine could miss out on other opportunities.

Does he know something about Rex being replaced? About Rex being demoted to his position? Is he just being prudent regarding the possibility, if not likelihood of a wholesale housecleaning by Woody and leveraging his nice qualifications from a postion of strength? Or might he be just fed up with Circus Life?

finfanaz
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I've never heard of a coach being demoted and actually accepting the job. You know of any examples?

If anything after reading this it sounds like Rex will still be around. Why would they offer extensions to coaches Rex hired if they were bringing in a new HC who would want their own dudes? Either way this is interesting. Not often you see coaching turning down contract extensions.

TheWalrus
12-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Pettine and Ryan go back to college, if I remember from Hard Knocks. I think they were roommates. My guess is that Pettine's just being loyal. He's not going to sign an extension unless he's sure that Rex will be back, and he's probably not sure about that right now, nor should he be.

Daytona Fin
12-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Add in to the mix that westhoff is set to retire after the season, no legitimate qb on the roster and I can't see how they keep sporano, looks to be a total rebuilding process beginning on dec. 30th for the jests.

MadDog 88
12-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Can't blame him. I wouldn't want to be associated with that circus. I hope they bring Rex and Sancho back so we can enjoy the laughs next year as we watch them battle for the worst record in the league.

utahphinsfan
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Financially speaking, I'd bet Sancheez is back.

He'd be the perfect mentor for M Barkley?

Tony, Rex, & Tannenbaum will follow St Timothy out of town.

tazthenomad
12-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Financially speaking, I'd bet Sancheez is back.

He'd be the perfect mentor for M Barkley?

Tony, Rex, & Tannenbaum will follow St Timothy out of town.
For the Dolphins sake I hope they get Barkley. I'm not impressed and I've watched a lot of USC football.

utahphinsfan
12-23-2012, 08:46 PM
For the Dolphins sake I hope they get Barkley. I'm not impressed and I've watched a lot of USC football.

I have watched a fair amount of Trojan football as well & agree.

p.s. Barkley fears Star Lotuleilei from the real U.

Nublar7
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Per PFT

Does he know something about Rex being replaced? About Rex being demoted to his position? Is he just being prudent regarding the possibility, if not likelihood of a wholesale housecleaning by Woody and leveraging his nice qualifications from a postion of strength? Or might he be just fed up with Circus Life?

The Jets are not going to do anything in 2013 and Rex will likely be gone after next season. Smart move by Pettine to get out now.

nyjunc
12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
you are so infatuated w/ the Jets, it's really kind of sad.

FinfanInBuffalo
12-24-2012, 10:24 AM

So says the Jets fan on a Dolphins forum.:idk:

Vaark
12-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Sez the guy with 23k posts including a period where he posted nearly 200 within a 24hr period on an enemy discussion board. Do you have any self-awareness at all?

nyjunc
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
yes, clearly myself posting on here is like the jealous poster that is always talking about the jets to try to make himself feel better watching his crappy team.

Nublar7
12-24-2012, 12:50 PM

yes, clearly myself posting on here is like the jealous poster that is always talking about the jets to try to make himself feel better watching his crappy team.What exactly about the Jets situation do Dolphins fans have to be jealous about?

Vaark
12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/12/j6507c-1.jpg
yes, clearly myself posting on here is like the jealous poster that is always talking about the jets to try to make himself feel better watching his crappy team.

You know actions speak louder than words: WV had the cajones to bet you a year off this board that the Fins will end up with a better record than the Jets. I believe that was when the jets were one win ahead of us, even. Of course you punked out refusing to put your money where your mouth is on a "conviction bet" against a long-standing FH member who actually contributes insightful threads. That only serves to prove that despite your protestations, spins, convenient fact-parsing and delusions, where the rubber meets the road, even you understand the reality regarding which team has the brighter future across-the-board.

Did I mention before that nearly 200 lastworditis type posts in 24 hours just might spell an "OCD" obsession with an opposing team?

CalDolFan1014
12-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Ahhh yes! The moment you realize when your team has underperformed and have no more excuses to make. It's ok junc, maybe they'll be good in 5 years. :lol: :lol:

nyjunc
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
What exactly about the Jets situation do Dolphins fans have to be jealous about?

Obviously nothing now since you guys are the next dynasty and we will suck for the next decade but in recent years we've won more playoff games than Miami has combined over the last 18 seasons. That's something to be jealous about but now you guys are great, another great finish to a season that should spur a championship effort next year.

2003: win final 2 games, 2004 is going to be the year! finish 2004 at 4-12
2005: win last 6, 2006 starts the dynasty! you finish 6-10
2011: win 6 of last 9- 2012 is going to be the year! at best you finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs AGAIN.

I'm sure 2013 will be great.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/12/j6507c-1.jpg

You know actions speak louder than words: WV had the cajones to bet you a year off this board that the Fins will end up with a better record than the Jets. I believe that was when the jets were one win ahead of us, even. Of course you punked out refusing to put your money where your mouth is on a "conviction bet" against a long-standing FH member who actually contributes insightful threads. That only serves to prove that despite your protestations, spins, convenient fact-parsing and delusions, where the rubber meets the road, even you understand the reality regarding which team has the brighter future across-the-board.

Did I mention before that nearly 200 lastworditis type posts in 24 hours just might spell an "OCD" obsession with an opposing team?

why would I do that to the board over something I have no control over? If he wants to play a basketball game or something I'll bet b/c I have control whether I win or lose but a bet over our teams winning? subjecting the board to a year w/o one of is best posters? That wouldn't be fair.

making a bet on the internet does not take "cajones"

MadDog 88
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
The Jets recent history involves ass fumbles and the worst QB situation in the NFL.