PDA

View Full Version : The Jets leading receiver was former Dolphins, Edmund Gates. He had 3 receptions for

phintim
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
The Jets leading receiver was former Dolphins, Edmund Gates. He had 3 receptions for 65 yards.

What does this tell you about our staff at least on the offensive side of the ball. What are your opinions for the coaching staff not being able to get this guy into our line up?

dlockz
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
The Jets leading receiver was former Dolphins, Edmund Gates. He had 3 receptions for 65 yards.

What does this tell you about our staff at least on the offensive side of the ball. What are your opinions for the coaching staff not being able to get this guy into our line up?

We still wasted a 4th round pick on him

chrispepper
12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
It says more about how embarrassing that Jets team is.

Themajster
12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
It tells us that the Jets are worse off at WR than we are. Sparano recruited Gates just as he tried to recruit Henne over to NY. Who cares, Gates sucks and so do the Jets.

dlockz
12-26-2012, 10:07 AM
It tells us that the Jets are worse off at WR than we are. Sparano recruited Gates just as he tried to recruit Henne over to NY. Who cares, Gates sucks and so do the Jets.

They are actually esp with Santono Holmes not playing much this year. They may be ok next year if Hill devlops

NBP81
12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
3 receptions for 65 yards? With performances like that, I wonder why this guy isnt headed to the pro-bowl...lol

dlockz
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
3 receptions for 65 yards? With performances like that, I wonder why this guy isnt headed to the pro-bowl...lol

I hated Gates as a draft pick but I dont think we should have cut him so soon. He still has more catches than any of our backups in fact, he has more catches than Moore and Matthews combined

SpurzN703
12-26-2012, 10:25 AM

It means their WRs aren't good.

MadDog 88
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Moore is a ST stand out that sucks as a WR. Matthews hasn't played nearly as much as Gates but i like his potential far more then Gates.

Gates is benefitting from being on a horrible Jets offense with worse depth then the Dolphins at WR.

NBP81
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I hated Gates as a draft pick but I dont think we should have cut him so soon. He still has more catches than any of our backups in fact, he has more catches than Moore and Matthews combined
I think its definitly debatable, but pointing at a 3 rec. 65yards game to try and make our coaching staff look inept is hardly a convincing argument IMO.

Vaark
12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think we should have given up on him so early either; but either way, to paraphrase Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results" as it applies to the jest fascination with our garbage like Gates, Turner, Bell, our inept OL coach and of course The Meatball. Hopefully Woody will retain both The Bean Counter and Toe Sucker to continue this helpful tradition.

dlockz
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Moore is a ST stand out that sucks as a WR. Matthews hasn't played nearly as much as Gates but i like his potential far more then Gates.

Gates is benefitting from being on a horrible Jets offense with worse depth then the Dolphins at WR.

I dont think they have worse depth, They just lost their starter faster. If we had lost Bess sooner we would be in really bad shape.
I mean look at the 66 yards we had from our wr's this week

SabanHater
12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
he had plenty of chances to do something here. they wanted him to step up so badly and he never rose to the occasion. that's on him.

dlockz
12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
he had plenty of chances to do something here. they wanted him to step up so badly and he never rose to the occasion. that's on him.

So we should cut egnew since u could say the same. Gates really wasnt used much last year. I hated the pick but if u take a guy that raw u have to figure he may not be ready

Dolfan4life!
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
It tells you how pathetic the Jets WR corps is. Gates is terrible. He'll be lucky to carve out a career with a Canadian team or with one of the indoor leagues.

dlockz
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
It tells you how pathetic the Jets WR corps is. Gates is terrible. He'll be lucky to carve out a career with a Canadian team or with one of the indoor leagues.

Same could be said for marllon moore or roberto wallace who isnt even in canada

Dolfan4life!
12-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Same could be said for marllon moore or roberto wallace who isnt even in canada

Ok. Moore beat out Gates so there's that. Wallace was hot garbage too but I don't see what your point is or how it relates to Gates being a sub par player.

phintim
12-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Here are his year to date stats Clyde Gates
14.0 4

phintim
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Look we needed a deep threat when we drafted Gates last year and we needed one this year. Gates did not contribute as a reciever last year granted but his kickoff returns I though were decent. IMO this kid may have the telent to play the game but not enough smarts to play in Shermans offense. Gates was not the only reciever to fall under that reciever catagory this year of not smart enough to play reciever for us. Has anybody kept a head count of the number of reciever we burned through this year?

datruth55
12-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I think it says more about our fans that when one player has one decent game they come running to Finheaven.com and start complaining about why we let the guy go. Like Anthony Armstrong when he was with Washington, Devin Aromashodu when he had two decent games with Chicago two years ago, Chad Henne when he had one good game this year with the Jags...it seems knee jerk reactions are the norm here.

phintim
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I think it says more about our fans that when one player has one decent game they come running to Finheaven.com and start complaining about why we let the guy go. Like Anthony Armstrong when he was with Washington, Devin Aromashodu when he had two decent games with Chicago two years ago, Chad Henne when he had one good game this year with the Jags...it seems knee jerk reactions are the norm here.

I am not complaining just seeking others opinions. One of the issues on our offense this year and last year is having a deep threat on the field. Gates when he played in spot duty last year provided that. He played decent on special teams last year to as a KR. Lets face it WR has been our thinnest area all year. You can make the argument that the kid cannot catch the ball but he has caught a couple in NY this year. Soo in conclusion for example do you believe the kid is just to dumb to learn the play book run routes or what. Route running was what I heard the most when he was let go. Anyway when a player who was healthy when he was let go suddenly starts producing somewhere else the question should always be why. Ireland did not draft the kid for this coaching staff either which certainly could be part of the reason. Lack of top speed is definitly not the reason either.

nb901
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Gates is less than Ginn Jr....should have just kept Ted and let him run post patterns on every play.

islandah
12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Gates wasn't going to make or break this offense. The fact that he caught 3 balls the other day is because they have nobody else to throw to and he was Sparano's guy. For 2 teams with similar records, they sure seem to be going in drastically different directions. If you want a subpar speedster because you feel he's marginally better than the poor options we have, that's fine. You may have an argument of him over some of our weaker receivers.

But I think there's a bigger picture - if they're willing to get rid of Marshall to create a team in their design, Gates is a non-issue to me. This year was clearly about Tannehill's development, changing the culture, and getting guys that fit their vision and attitude. I don't know if it was skill, brains, or attitude that they found wanting in Gates, but his release is a minor detail when you consider Marshall and Vontae's departures. Whether he'll ever make it in the NFL is up for debate, but he didn't do enough to fit into the big picture here.

datruth55
12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I am not complaining just seeking others opinions. One of the issues on our offense this year and last year is having a deep threat on the field. Gates when he played in spot duty last year provided that. He played decent on special teams last year to as a KR. Lets face it WR has been our thinnest area all year. You can make the argument that the kid cannot catch the ball but he has caught a couple in NY this year. Soo in conclusion for example do you believe the kid is just to dumb to learn the play book run routes or what. Route running was what I heard the most when he was let go. Anyway when a player who was healthy when he was let go suddenly starts producing somewhere else the question should always be why. Ireland did not draft the kid for this coaching staff either which certainly could be part of the reason. Lack of top speed is definitly not the reason either.
He did? 2 receptions for 19 yards is what you call providing a deep threat last year. Well dang, we have a roster full of deep threats then cause every receiver we have is averaging more than 9.5 yards per catch.

J. David Wannyheimer
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Kerley is a good player, Hill has potential, and Santonio Holmes is a good player even if he is a grade A moron. Jets do have some talent at wide receiver, but fortunately they have none at QB.