PDA

View Full Version : Bills hire Doug Marrone as head coach

Nublar7
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-bills-hire-syacuse-head-coach-doug-marrone-132659449--nfl.html

A college coach that went 25-25 during his time at Syracuse. Sounds like a typical Bills hire.

J. David Wannyheimer
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Hahahahaha holy ****, the Bills do it again.

Spesh
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
:rotfl1:

Vaark
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Like someone on Billszone expressed: "Mediocre coach from a mediocre team in a mediocre conference." But to be fair, there's been some interest in him by a few other teams also, so maybe there's more to him than meets the eye.

ChambersWI
01-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Like someone on Billszone expressed: "Mediocre coach from a mediocre team in a mediocre conference." But to be fair, there's been some interest in him by a few other teams also, so maybe there's more to him than meets the eye.

he's been given a stamp of approval by Tuna and Sean Peyton.

Nublar7
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Chan Gailey was a better college head coach. :chuckle:

J. David Wannyheimer
01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
he's been given a stamp of approval by Tuna and Sean Peyton.

:lol2:

SpurzN703
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Never heard of 'em

TheWarriorFins
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
you know he's not that bad of a hire he really turned the piece of **** of a program around and I believe he had some NFL experience with sean peyton,

TheJetsBlow
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I was almost positive they would hire Lovey Smith. The Bills are hilarious.

trojanma
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Fwiw my buddy who is a Syracuse alum is pissed he is gone. Said he turned them around completely

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dlockz
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
wow talk about not doing much to become an NFL head coach

Tunaphish429
01-07-2013, 02:37 AM
I am from cuse and he did turn this program around...but the only place they could go is up when he got here...they were that bad...they beat some good teams...but beat alot of **** ones too...played alot of cupcakes and even won a gm that they should have lost to maine....su missed an extra point but they called it good from what i remember..the big east was turning into **** when this guy arrived and its been nothing but since...he is not a good coach...he will be one and done....buffalo did this cause he was the cheapest coach...and because they hope he will help bring ppl from syracuse to buffalo to watch games...the guy who took over for the bills just this past week is from cuse and started with the bills in their marketing department...coincidence? I think not..again one and done...they should have hired lovie smith...dude would have turned around their whole d and made it great...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

ChambersWI
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
big reason he was hired looking around, he loves Western New York. Went to school at Syracuse, and understands the culture of the area. Where guys like Chan Gailey and Dick Juron took the jobs just to be head coaches in the league again, Marrone actually wants to be in Buffalo.

Adam Strange
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
he's been given a stamp of approval by Tuna . . .
Well, in that case-- what could go wrong? We should ask Tony Sparano.

trojanma
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
It is kind of scary what Lovie Smith could have done to that defense with the pieces they had.

phinfan13
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised that they didn't make an offer to Lovie Smith once Chip Kelley decided to stay at Oregon. Perhaps they didn't want another fired Bears head coach?

MadDog 88
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I like the fact they are not going with a retread but I am not sold on Marrone. Going from the bottom of the Big East to the top is not a huge accomplishment. For the Bills fans, I hope they got the right guy this time. It would be nice to battle them for the division.

Daytona Fin
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Kind of reminds me of the sparano hire, who? what? why? Just glad maroane is in the east.

nyjunc
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't think you guys realize how awful Syracuse was, Doug Marrone did an outstanding job at SU. I don't now if he will be a good HC in the NFL but he was a longtime assistsant so he has familiarity w/ the NFL.

phins_4_ever
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm surprised that they didn't make an offer to Lovie Smith once Chip Kelley decided to stay at Oregon. Perhaps they didn't want another fired Bears head coach?

But Lovie Smith would have been an excellent pick up for the Bills. He did a fantastic job in Chicago and was fired with a 10-6 record.
They had only 3 losing seasons in 9 years with Smith (2 of which were 7-9). They also won their division 3 times. They went 3 times in 9 years to the playoffs and missed out twice because once of a tie breaker (2012) and once they went 9-7 and the Eagles had a 9-6-1 record (2008).

In the 9 years prior to Smith they had 2 winning seasons.

Record over 9 years before Smith:
59-85 plus playoffs 1-2

Record under Smith:
81-63 plus playoffs 3-3

I am glad the Bills didn't pick him up. Really glad. Now I can only hope that the Jets stick with Ryan. If Smith would have gone Buffalo we'd be toast.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I don't think you guys realize how awful Syracuse was, Doug Marrone did an outstanding job at SU. I don't now if he will be a good HC in the NFL but he was a longtime assistsant so he has familiarity w/ the NFL.

Wow. Great insides. You are just a fountain of knowledge.

-=DolfanDave=-
01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
<bugsbunny>

What a maroon, what an ignoranimus!

/bugsbunny

Nublar7
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
There is a Bills fan in my office and, true story, he walked up to me today and said "Did you see we hired a guy named Moron?" I just laughed, he is pissed with the hire.

bucket656
01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I also am from the CUSE and everyone know seems to think hes going to draft nassib lol

Nublar7
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I also am from the CUSE and everyone know seems to think hes going to draft nassib lol

I saw on some Bills message boards that they want to take him in the top 10. :lol: Marrone and Nassib in the first round for the Bills is a Dolphins, Jets and Patriots dream come true.

Nublar7
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
It just keeps getting better with the Bills. The 33 year old Syracuse offensive coordinator is now the Bills' offensive coordinator. His pro experience? He was the Bills quality control coach before he went to Syracuse. Buffalo is still the same clown show. :lol:

cltchperf
01-09-2013, 03:22 AM

I follow cuse, I'm from central NY. He's taken cuse to a bottom feeding bowl game, but last year they stunk. They had 4 years, and even this year they would blow games they should win and way to turnover prone for a coach thats supposed to be a successful nfl coach now. I don't care that he has previous experience in nfl. Cuse has been to crappy bowl games before him a few years before his hire. Pasqualoni took cuse to the most success they've had in a long time when they had Mcnabb and harrison on offense, and I don't think he could or would do well in nfl either. In fact last years, pasqualonis lowly UConn football team beat Cuse last year (I didn't even think Uconn had a football program cause they've never been good). We know how the basketball team for UCONN is another story though. Ton of successful coaches in college had tried the nfl and have failed and with much better pedigrees. They found out fast how difficult it is to win in the nfl and its another ballpark compared to college. So much more competitive and talented. Marrone is supposed to be successful in the nfl that many more successful ones have failed and is much tougher than college football to succeed when he can't even do better than mediocre in NCAA football? Yeah he helped some and Cuse is not USC, etc, butif he's such a good coach, you would think he could recruit better and bring talent and coach talent to where cuse could compete wiht better talent. And like I said cuse was so undisciplined on offense for a supposed good coach. So many times Cuse would fumble one after the other or drop easy passes or constant pentalities and blowing their chances in many games. I know other college teams do, but Cuse did that alot, and lost games against inferior talent, like UConn, the years of marrone.

nyjunc
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I follow cuse, I'm from central NY. He's taken cuse to a bottom feeding bowl game, but last year they stunk. They had 4 years, and even this year they would blow games they should win and way to turnover prone for a coach thats supposed to be a successful nfl coach now. I don't care that he has previous experience in nfl. Cuse has been to crappy bowl games before him a few years before his hire. Pasqualoni took cuse to the most success they've had in a long time when they had Mcnabb and harrison on offense, and I don't think he could or would do well in nfl either. In fact last years, pasqualonis lowly UConn football team beat Cuse last year (I didn't even think Uconn had a football program cause they've never been good). We know how the basketball team for UCONN is another story though. Ton of successful coaches in college had tried the nfl and have failed and with much better pedigrees. They found out fast how difficult it is to win in the nfl and its another ballpark compared to college. So much more competitive and talented. Marrone is supposed to be successful in the nfl that many more successful ones have failed and is much tougher than college football to succeed when he can't even do better than mediocre in NCAA football? Yeah he helped some and Cuse is not USC, etc, butif he's such a good coach, you would think he could recruit better and bring talent and coach talent to where cuse could compete wiht better talent. And like I said cuse was so undisciplined on offense for a supposed good coach. So many times Cuse would fumble one after the other or drop easy passes or constant pentalities and blowing their chances in many games. I know other college teams do, but Cuse did that alot, and lost games against inferior talent, like UConn, the years of marrone.

Pasqualoni was awful, the BE was an even bigger joke back then and they'd get to bigger bowl games based on that. SU was as bad of a program as a div I program could be, he turned them around and had them tied for the BE title where the co-champ destroyed Florida in the Sugar Bowl. I don't know if Marrone will be a successful NFL HC but you cannot question the outstanding job he did in turning around a joke of a program.

DaBills4life
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I dont know what the laughing is for, he is just as qualified as Joe Philbin, probably more qualified with his head coaching experience. He is a young aggressive coach that is highly thought of around the NFL. Im glad he was able to bring in an experience defensive coach as well.

bucket656
01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I saw on some Bills message boards that they want to take him in the top 10. :lol: Marrone and Nassib in the first round for the Bills is a Dolphins, Jets and Patriots dream come true.
Lol my reply to them was just good so buffalo can stay in last place for years to come hahaha

MadDog 88
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Pasqualoni was awful, the BE was an even bigger joke back then and they'd get to bigger bowl games based on that. SU was as bad of a program as a div I program could be, he turned them around and had them tied for the BE title where the co-champ destroyed Florida in the Sugar Bowl. I don't know if Marrone will be a successful NFL HC but you cannot question the outstanding job he did in turning around a joke of a program.
I like that Buffalo didn't go with a retread but lets be real. Going from the bottom to being bowl eligible in the Big East is not a grand accomplishment. Time will tell but his hiring the Cuse OC is questionable.

Ben Had
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
They just picked up the jets DC.

MadDog 88
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I dont know what the laughing is for, he is just as qualified as Joe Philbin, probably more qualified with his head coaching experience. He is a young aggressive coach that is highly thought of around the NFL. Im glad he was able to bring in an experience defensive coach as well.
Philbins NFL experience exceeds Marrones. Being a college head coach at Syracuse doesn't jump off the page as being any more qualified then a guy with experience as an OC in the NFL

uk_dolfan
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Philbins NFL experience exceeds Marrones. Being a college head coach at Syracuse doesn't jump off the page as being any more qualified then a guy with experience as an OC in the NFL

Not to mention having run an offense that won a superbowl.

Nublar7
01-09-2013, 02:28 PM
They just picked up the jets DC.
The first decent hire they made this week.

DaBills4life
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Marrone was an OC for the Siants in the same capacity Philbin was for the Packers. He was also an OL coach for the Jets, just like Philbin was for the Packers. And yes, being a head coach for a D1a program does help, especially turning around one that was in such bad shape as Syracuse. Marrone was not handed 4 and 5 star recruits. He took a 2 star QB and turned him into a possible 1st round pick.

Ben Had
01-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Hate to say it but I wish you guys luck...I miss the days like in your avatar :crazy:

MadDog 88
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Marrone was an OC for the Siants in the same capacity Philbin was for the Packers. He was also an OL coach for the Jets, just like Philbin was for the Packers. And yes, being a head coach for a D1a program does help, especially turning around one that was in such bad shape as Syracuse. Marrone was not handed 4 and 5 star recruits. He took a 2 star QB and turned him into a possible 1st round pick.Nassib is not a first round pick. There is no QB that is truly a first round pick this year but a couple will no doubt make it due to desperate teams overvaluing a QB.

Please tell me the Syracuse victories over major FBS powers during Marrones tenure.

cltchperf
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM

cuse has been to lower bowl games and there record was not that much different from the first few years ofr marrone. The big east is not that good of a division and the teams are pretty weak for football. And yes you brought up that cuse got crushed by floried, but the fact of the matter is that cuse was good or the best theyve been in a long time and they made it to the Sugarbowl and werew good enough for that, florida was just too good. But thats a lot better than the frickin tostitos bowl or toilet bowl games theyve been to since

DaBills4life
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Nassib is not a first round pick. There is no QB that is truly a first round pick this year but a couple will no doubt make it due to desperate teams overvaluing a QB.

Please tell me the Syracuse victories over major FBS powers during Marrones tenure.

You guys have short memories.

Marrone beat Louisville (Who beat up Florida) and West Virginia. Its not really about that though, its how he took a program that was in bad shape and had the heading in the right direction. Jim Harbaugh was only 29-21 at Stanford. Its a bout the man really, Marron is respected by many.

Is it the right hire? Who knows. No one knew Mike Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Mike McCarthy would be any good. Same with Philbin.

Vaark
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
You guys have short memories.

Marrone beat Louisville (Who beat up Florida) and West Virginia. Its not really about that though, its how he took a program that was in bad shape and had the heading in the right direction. Jim Harbaugh was only 29-21 at Stanford. Its a bout the man really, Marron is respected by many.

Is it the right hire? Who knows. No one knew Mike Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Mike McCarthy would be any good. Same with Philbin.

Sight unseen it's hard for him not to wind up an upgrade over Chan.