PDA

View Full Version : McShay says T'eo's draft stock falling, would u take him if he fell to the 2nd round?

phinatic1399
01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Mcshay says he has been speaking to NFL scouts who are scared out of their mind to take t'eo they think he might be mentally unstable. This story is completely bizarre and he might of made the whole thing up. Mcshay says some scouts are even taking him completely off their board. So my question is if he fell to the 2nd or 3rd round would u take a chance? We do need a game changing linebacker but the guy appears to be off track upstairs. What do u guys think?

JCane
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM
No. He's an average linebacker to begin with. I've never felt like he was a great linebacker. Part of his appeal to the masses was his story. People buy into that and then believe that people are better than they really are. (ie: Tim Tebow). And if it turns out that he was indeed part of this hoax to gain popularity or earn sympathy Heisman votes, etc., then I'd definitely stay very far away. One of the most appealing things about Manti was his leadership ability. And if it turns out that it was a fraud all along, it will kill his draft stock within front offices and he'll need to have a one in a million combine.

Hayden Fox
01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
No. Too much of a distraction.

phinatic1399
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
@jcane dude had 7 ints though. I think he is better than avg

DeathStar
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Most of those were luck...ball bounced his way...

He sucked against nfl worthy talent...

JCane
01-17-2013, 10:07 AM

That's better than average in college football. You watch the guy play...and I mean truly watch the guy play, and he's just not that impressive. You can't rely on stats to tell you the whole story. This dude got physically trampled in the national title game against a really dominate team. Alabama is NFL Lite. That's what he's going to face on a day to day basis. He needs to get a lot stronger because those Alabama boys were faster, moved him off and away from the football with ease and just made him look silly.

MRojas4
01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
The Bama game basically wrecked his stock. Went up against NFL caliber talent and got mowed to the side.

Dude is a average LB that should be taken in the 3-4th round. Add in this mentally unstable fiasco and this guy drops to the 5th round IMO. I personally wouldn't want him on my team. What if this dude snaps one day?

Average LB that was made a superstar over a fake sob story.

phinatic1399
01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
@jcane true, he got dominated by those nfl ready OL for alabama and he kept missing his gap assignments and over ran the wholes. I played MLB for 10 yeara of my life and he just looked lost. Some are apeculating though that he was dealing with the issued of this hoax so he wasnt all there for this game. I would pass on him too but I'm saying is if a top 15 talent falls to the 3rd round and he is sitting there for u to take dont u almost have to entertain the idea?

BIG_FISH_RI
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree and disagree with JCane
If you watch this kid play he is the real deal. the kid reads and reacts to what he see's very quickly. He gets to the ball carrier with minimal wasted movements and he is a very good tackler. I have to disagree with you there. He is much above average player.

However, when he played against Bama - a team that is very NFL like. he was missing. he was getting covered up, he was not getting to the ball. he looked below average in that game. Can you make a full assement of a player off of one game? Did this scandel play a role in his performance? Was the stage too big for him? Did he just play against talent that was far more dominate then him?

A lot of questions. so to answer the OP question...............NO I would not take him in the 2nd and I would MAYBE take a play on him if I saw him in the 3rd.

JCane
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
@jcane true, he got dominated by those nfl ready OL for alabama and he kept missing his gap assignments and over ran the wholes. I played MLB for 10 yeara of my life and he just looked lost. Some are apeculating though that he was dealing with the issued of this hoax so he wasnt all there for this game. I would pass on him too but I'm saying is if a top 15 talent falls to the 3rd round and he is sitting there for u to take dont u almost have to entertain the idea?

You always entertain the idea. ALWAYS.

Personally, I don't feel that his draft stock will fall much at all. There are always teams out there who are more desperate than others and are willing to take a chance. Big picture, just how big of a deal is this if the kid can play at the next level? It stings now but it'll pass. I've seen far more wild things happen with players and they be brushed under the table.

ANUFan
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Theirs only a few teams that can afford to take a chance on someone like T'eo. Those teams can absorb the frenzy from the Media and Fanbase and of course the potential that's he's really not that good. The Miami Dolphins are not one of those teams.........

PlexGod
01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
If the dude is there in the late 3rd or 4th or 5th you have to take a shot at him. He can play. I honestly doubt he will drop past the 2nd round but if he does it would be a good move to take him in the late 3rd or fourth.

goner
01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
He is going to have alot to prove and i wouldnt bet against the Patriots taking a chance on him they seem to find the diamonds in the rough alot!

finsfanjay13
01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
I was okay with him at 12 for a bit, but I've gone away from that position now. I'm okay with that, too. Never claimed to be some prospect extraordinaire. For me, it would depend how the draft falls. If he's around in the second and some needs have already been taken ahead ... I'd be okay with drafting him. This "issue" of his is definitely suspect.

sinPHIN
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
if he fell to our second pick in the 2nd im all for grabbing him

finsfanjay13
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I'll just leave this here...

http://skreened.com/collegerivalshop/play-like-you-had-a-fake-girlfriend-die-today

Bumpus
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
That's better than average in college football. You watch the guy play...and I mean truly watch the guy play, and he's just not that impressive. You can't rely on stats to tell you the whole story. This dude got physically trampled in the national title game against a really dominate team. Alabama is NFL Lite. That's what he's going to face on a day to day basis. He needs to get a lot stronger because those Alabama boys were faster, moved him off and away from the football with ease and just made him look silly.

Sheesh J, first you troll the guy into thinking he has a gf - now you blast his ability?!?

:lol: Nice.

finomenal
01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
He may be an average player but his invisible girlfriend is hot! :chuckle:

Tunaphish429
01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
If he falls out of the first round I would chomping at the bit to draft this kid...all this bs aside the kid can play football...He instantly improves ur coverage in both red zone and between the 20's He is not as physical as you would like him to be but with a decent lin in front of him he wont be taking on O linemen. The Notre dame defense was over rated and was worn down. I highly doubt he lasts til the 2nd round.

rrrrphin
01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
If it is discovered that he is involved in intentional lies, I think Philbin/Ireland take him off their draft board.

In my opinion he is worthy of a flier in the 3rd/4th round. He's a smart opportunistic player.

ITS!MATEO
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Wait hold up.. What I heard was that a girl lied to him and said she was somebody she wasn't and that she died :lol:

If that's the story then how is that a mental problem of his?

JEDIJ007
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Man hell no How is this dude gonna lie about some girlfriend he never had. then make up a car crash story. Hes not worth a draft pick.

JCane
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Sheesh J, first you troll the guy into thinking he has a gf - now you blast his ability?!?

:lol: Nice.

There's a USC fan over on the Mainboard who is well known for legendary troll jobs...when this story first broke there were several threads started about how he may be responsible for this.

:lol:

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Daniel Jeremiah (who's been a scout) encapsulated this the best when he said that in the end the NFL scouts are going to care a hell of a lot less about this whole thing than the entranced American public.

What's going to happen is teams will make sure they interview Te'o, and question the hell out of all of Te'o's teammates, friends and coaches, trying to figure out what he's like in the locker room and whether the perception of his being an intelligent leader is actually accurate or not.

In other words, DOING THE JOB THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ANYWAY.

It's the evidence they kick up from those interviews and answers that will condemn or maintain Manti Te'o's draft status. If he is actually mentally unstable or whatever else is being attributed to him by the ignorant public, that's something that should have and probably would have been kicked up by the pre-Draft process anyway, whether this story broke or not.

Considering the **** teams knew about Percy Harvin before he went 1st round, the idea of Manti Te'o sinking to the 2nd round based on some weird fake girlfriend shenanigans is laughable.

MadDog 88
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
He won't fall past the Bills at 8.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Daniel Jeremiah (who's been a scout) encapsulated this the best when he said that in the end the NFL scouts are going to care a hell of a lot less about this whole thing than the entranced American public.

What's going to happen is teams will make sure they interview Te'o, and question the hell out of all of Te'o's teammates, friends and coaches, trying to figure out what he's like in the locker room and whether the perception of his being an intelligent leader is actually accurate or not.

In other words, DOING THE JOB THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ANYWAY.

It's the evidence they kick up from those interviews and answers that will condemn or maintain Manti Te'o's draft status. If he is actually mentally unstable or whatever else is being attributed to him by the ignorant public, that's something that should have and probably would have been kicked up by the pre-Draft process anyway, whether this story broke or not.

Considering the **** teams knew about Percy Harvin before he went 1st round, the idea of Manti Te'o sinking to the 2nd round based on some weird fake girlfriend shenanigans is laughable.

I think your taking it likely. He is also going to bring an unwanted spotlight. This kid didn't just make up a dead girlfriend for his own publicity, he used leukemia in this lie, and acted the whole thing out, brought his fans, the media, ND, on the whole trip with him. Anyone who has had to deal with this disease problem won't want to watch him on there team. The guy even set up a damn foundation for this fake girl.

With all that said I don't see this as any different than what tebow or rg3 do with there public preying after TDs. All this "look at me, I'm a great person, now praise me for it while I act like I'm not asking you to." I'm beyond tired of bs.

Teo being morman can't really pull the "god" thing because mormans don't do really do thst sort of thing, so I guess he made up a fake girlfriend instead. There all full of ****. I think he falls, whether he's a late 1st or a 2nd rnd pick I don't know.

abNORMal
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
The fact the Te'o knew this was going to go public as far back as Dec. 26th probably affected the way he played against Bama'. So if it comes out that he was duped or catfished or whatever, will teams take that into consideration? That's gotta put a sick feeling in your stomach if you knew that it was going to come out. But if he was actually part of the hoax, then that's a different story...

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Ps I also think he just needs to come clean about this, this is going to follow him and build up and now he's even brought his school into the lie.

JCane
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
The fact the Te'o knew this was going to go public as far back as Dec. 26th probably affected the way he played against Bama'. So if it comes out that he was duped or catfished or whatever, will teams take that into consideration? That's gotta put a sick feeling in your stomach if you knew that it was going to come out. But if he was actually part of the hoax, then that's a different story...

If Te'o found out on the 26th, and Notre Dame found out on the 26th, why then did they not release this story themselves and prevent this debacle here from happening? That seems to be a better option for damage control.

A lot of this story doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

abNORMal
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Has it been proven to be a lie, yet? I thought they were still saying he might have been duped.

abNORMal
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
If Te'o found out on the 26th, and Notre Dame found out on the 26th, why then did they not release this story themselves and prevent this debacle here from happening? That seems to be a better option for damage control.

Your're right they should have wanted to get out in front of the situation, but with the BCS Championship game coming up and the team playing inspired ball maybe it was a calculated move so as not to bring the rest of the team down and end up getting blown out by Bama, oops they were blown out anyway.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM

I thought that would've been rather obvious. They had a BCS Championship Game to play and didn't want to create a distraction of mega proportions while they're trying to get prepared and focused for that game.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Has it been proven to be a lie, yet? I thought they were still saying he might have been duped.

In short, no.

People are just assuming it because of some inconsistencies.

But if you had an online girlfriend that you never met, you might lie and claim you've actually met her, too. I don't think it's the public's business either way.

ITS!MATEO
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Maybe because it's none of the public's business.. I mean we're talking about this mans personal life. It's the job of the scouts to find out his story, but it isn't the public's business to know anything about anyone's personal matters. Reality tv shows have really fried the public's minds on what is ok to know and not to know. Off topic my bad lol

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Maybe because it's none of the public's business.. I mean we're talking about this mans personal life. It's the job of the scouts to find out his story, but it isn't the public's business to know anything about anyone's personal matters. Reality tv shows have really fried the public's minds on what is ok to know and not to know. Off topic my bad lol

Thank you.

trojanma
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Absolutely we draft the kid in the second round. Especially if we knock out a need in the first round.

That being said I seriously doubt he falls to the second round.

This hurts us regardless. This was a player we were never going to take with our first pick. Someone was likely going to do it before we came up. No a spot opens up for a player that was more likely to be on our radar.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Lol are you for real?

It's not of the publics business?

This guy made twitter accounts for his fake girlfriend, took donations for her foundation, talked to espn about it, and had numerous interviews where he made it a point to show how sad he was that his fake girlfriend had died. This dude has problems.

Especially when you consider he did all of this for public praise. Yet it's not our business?

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Lol are you for real?

This guy made twitter accounts for his fake girlfriend, took donations for her foundation, talked to espn about it, and had numerous interviews where he made it a point to show how sad he was that his fake girlfriend had died. This dude has problems.

Especially when you consider he did all of this for public praise. Yet it's not our business?

Link?

ITS!MATEO
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Lol are you for real?

Proof or gtfo

ROADRUNNER
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/01/1h3h3h9l1-1.jpg

Locke
01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
In short, no.

People are just assuming it because of some inconsistencies.

But if you had an online girlfriend that you never met, you might lie and claim you've actually met her, too. I don't think it's the public's business either way.

I usually agree with most of your opinions on stuff like this, but not here. Deadspin found that the guy behind it was a friend of Te'o's. I could see a small prank being played on a friend, but letting it escalate to the point where you trick your friend into saying she died? No, that's not sitting right with me, and my instincts are usually spot on with stuff like this. If he was involved, and I'd put money on that being the case, that's a HUGE red flag. That would imply that the emotional interviews and everything he gave were fake. That ability to seamlessly fake different emotions, along with the ability to con an entire nation and not seem to care, could be sociopathy. At a minimum, it would imply some level of personality disorder, and Dolphin fans are all-too-familiar with the discord those can bring in the locker room after dealing with Brandon Marshall...

qmar
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree and disagree with JCane
If you watch this kid play he is the real deal. the kid reads and reacts to what he see's very quickly. He gets to the ball carrier with minimal wasted movements and he is a very good tackler. I have to disagree with you there. He is much above average player.

However, when he played against Bama - a team that is very NFL like. he was missing. he was getting covered up, he was not getting to the ball. he looked below average in that game. Can you make a full assement of a player off of one game? Did this scandel play a role in his performance? Was the stage too big for him? Did he just play against talent that was far more dominate then him?

A lot of questions. so to answer the OP question...............NO I would not take him in the 2nd and I would MAYBE take a play on him if I saw him in the 3rd.

I'm not entirely sure how good Manti will be but I definitely don't look at Bama and automatically write him off. Alabama's offensive line is MASSIVE and manhandled ND's D Line (which was actually very stout the whole year). Not much Manti can do when he has 350 lb linemen running free at him.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Proof or gtfo

If you don't have the common sense to figure this one out, than I feel bad for ya. Either that or your an Irish fan.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
If you don't have the common sense to figure this one out, than I feel bad for ya. Either that or your an Irish fan.

No offense but that's some serious bull**** right there.

There's also this:

L K ‏@LennayKay
I will be releasing a statement, via twitter, between 11am and noon today.

L K ‏@LennayKay
My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.

Yeah I'm sure it's really Manti Te'o that is logging in and taking sarcastic shots at his own performance against Alabama from this twitter account, even after this whole thing has blown up and he should be distancing himself from it as much as possible.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
I usually agree with most of your opinions on stuff like this, but not here. Deadspin found that the guy behind it was a friend of Te'o's. I could see a small prank being played on a friend, but letting it escalate to the point where you trick your friend into saying she died? No, that's not sitting right with me, and my instincts are usually spot on with stuff like this. If he was involved, and I'd put money on that being the case, that's a HUGE red flag. That would imply that the emotional interviews and everything he gave were fake. That ability to seamlessly fake different emotions, along with the ability to con an entire nation and not seem to care, could be sociopathy. At a minimum, it would imply some level of personality disorder, and Dolphin fans are all-too-familiar with the discord those can bring in the locker room after dealing with Brandon Marshall...

That's a hell of a lot of "what ifs" about a situation that is a hell of a lot murkier than you want it to be.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
So you actually think, some girl stayed up all night talking to manti night after night up until she "died". And for what exactly? What is the point of this ongoing hoax that is this elaborate?

Give me a break.

You have to be as delusional as te'o to believe his story.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
So you actually think, some girl stayed up all night talking to manti night after night up until she "died". And for what exactly? What is the point of this ongoing hoax that is this elaborate?

Give me a break.

I think there are all kinds of possibilities you're not considering here. First off, yeah, I do think there's a possibility that there was a semi-elaborate hoax going on here that involved an actual girl that Manti actually believed to be Lennay Kekua (and that Reagan Mauia believed to be her as well). Secondly, there's also a strong possibility that he lied or embellished various parts of his relationship with this woman. That doesn't make him a bad person. You have no idea what his motivations were. You're just automatically assuming them to be the worst.

For a long time, my wife and I lied to her parents about how we met.

I guess we need to go on Oprah.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
I think there are all kinds of possibilities you're not considering here. First off, yeah, I do think there's a possibility that there was a semi-elaborate hoax going on here that involved an actual girl that Manti actually believed to be Lennay Kekua (and that Reagan Mauia believed to be her as well). Secondly, there's also a strong possibility that he lied or embellished various parts of his relationship with this woman. That doesn't make him a bad person. You have no idea what his motivations were. You're just automatically assuming them to be the worst.

The guy used the story for Some reason. Maybe he's gay, maybe he has a personality disorder, maybe he just got involved in a joke gone to far.

But he definitely was a part of this hoax. You guys keep giving him these excuses of how it could happen. None of them remotely make any sense. Your sitting here defending him sayng he probably was duped, Yet you insinuate that hen lied about meeting her.

I don't get this way of thinking.

ITS!MATEO
01-17-2013, 04:20 PM

To add to that fact, you have to look at how humiliated the guy would be with admitting he had a relationship with a woman he never met. His statement even said he was embarrassed about it. I can see why a kid would say he met her when he didn't just so he didn't look stupid. Fact is it's a personal matter with very little info. I'd wait to condemn the guy for lying for personal benefit until the facts come out.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
The guy used the story for Some reason. Maybe he's gay, maybe he has a personality disorder, maybe he just got involved in a joke gone to far.

But he definitely was a part of this hoax. You guys keep giving him these excuses of how it could happen. None of them remotely make any sense. Your sitting here defending him sayng he probably was duped, Yet you insinuate that hen lied about meeting her.

I don't get this way of thinking.

If you had an online girlfriend, you wouldn't be tempted to lie in the face of skeptics and say "Yeah I've met her, we talk on the phone all the time"?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

To add to that fact, you have to look at how humiliated the guy would be with admitting he had a relationship with a woman he never met. His statement even said he was embarrassed about it. I can see why a kid would say he met her when he didn't just so he didn't look stupid. Fact is it's a personal matter with very little info. I'd wait to condemn the guy for lying for personal benefit until the facts come out.

I wouldn't condemn the guy either way, and I don't know if the "facts" will or even should ever "come out".

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
If you had an online girlfriend, you wouldn't be tempted to lie in the face of skeptics and say "Yeah I've met her, we talk on the phone all the time"?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

I wouldn't condemn the guy either way, and I don't know if the "facts" will or even should ever "come out".

If you had a girlfriend you loved and she was going to die wouldn't you visit her once at least?

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Stuff like this is the true value of the scandal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmpGhIZJWw

Butthole beer bong leprechauns FTW!

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

If you had a girlfriend you loved and she was going to die wouldn't you visit her once at least?

Does my answer to this question, be it "yes" or "no", in any way whatsoever affect the likelihood of me being a dominant, Hall of Fame caliber linebacker in the NFL?

Locke
01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
That's a hell of a lot of "what ifs" about a situation that is a hell of a lot murkier than you want it to be.

Not at all. The only "what if" is if he was actually involved. IF he was involved, and I have a hard time seeing how he isn't, everything else stands as fact. Word is GMs are already worried about how "mentally stable" he is. I'm simply putting specifics to that. You have to agree, if he was involved, it's a game changer for him over the next few months. If he isn't involved, and it's still a possibility, I agree with you. It doesn't do much to change his draft stock. But looking at this objectively, it would take a lot to convince me he wasn't involved. It's all a moot point because the I've been listening to talk radio and it's already being taken for fact that he was "the victim of a hoax", but if I owned an NFL team and my GM told me he would take Te'o in the first if he was there, I would demand it looked into more...

JCane
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I thought that would've been rather obvious. They had a BCS Championship Game to play and didn't want to create a distraction of mega proportions while they're trying to get prepared and focused for that game.

So why not after they got plowed by Alabama?

I agree that it's not any of the public's business. Honestly, had Te'o and Notre Dame came out and said that he was the victim of a hoax, it would be a lot more believable than to sit on it for a couple of weeks and then have someone like DeadSpin ruin your flawless image. Now, whether or not he was the victim of a hoax, his image has been blasted. People will always question him and his honesty.

I think there are a lot of inconsistencies here...not some. If she did way back in September, and she really meant that much to him, why then did he not attend the funeral? Did he meet her online or after the Stanford game. We've heard both stories. I'm sitting here listening to MLB Radio on SiriusXM like I always do at work and even they are taking cheap shots at Te'o today lol. Jack Swarbrick's press conference last night was just baffling. Seems like he didn't know how to answer the questions.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Not at all. The only "what if" is if he was actually involved. IF he was involved, and I have a hard time seeing how he isn't, everything else stands as fact. Word is GMs are already worried about how "mentally stable" he is. I'm simply putting specifics to that. You have to agree, if he was involved, it's a game changer for him over the next few months. If he isn't involved, and it's still a possibility, I agree with you. It doesn't do much to change his draft stock. But looking at this objectively, it would take a lot to convince me he wasn't involved. It's all a moot point because the I've been listening to talk radio and it's already being taken for fact that he was "the victim of a hoax", but if I owned an NFL team and my GM told me he would take Te'o in the first if he was there, I would demand it looked into more...

The question isn't a matter of "if" he was involved. The story he's going to tell, no matter what, is that he was NOT involved. The question is whether you imagine there ending up some smoking gun out there that proves that he was involved. I seriously doubt it.

Like I said, what the NFL scouts and GMs are going to do with this is interview him and the rest of his teammates, friends and coaches, and see if they can ferret out any evidence aside from this weird hoax thing, that he's any less of an intelligent leader than they'd already perceived him to be. If they find that evidence, then this story will matter. If they don't, it won't.

And that's the bottom line.

ITS!MATEO
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Well, if he was doing it for personal benefit I'd say that's a problem, but we don't know that. There is a line where it becomes public interest. If he was doing that to get votes or had a cancer treatment agenda i'd say it is public interest. I do agree that it isn't anyone's business if it was his and only his issue.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Stuff like this is the true value of the scandal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmpGhIZJWw

Butthole beer bong leprechauns FTW!

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Does my answer to this question, be it "yes" or "no", in any way whatsoever affect the likelihood of me being a dominant, Hall of Fame caliber linebacker in the NFL?

Interesting reply I guess.

I'll leave it at this, te'o said She told him he didn't want him to skip his game for the funeral. Teo said after the game he sent he white flowers and grab 2 picks for her. Something along those lines.

How could he send her flowers? She didn't exist, there was no funeral to send them to, no family members to send them to, no address, nothing.

The guy got caught in a lie he started. IMO he's probably a good kid who either has some serious problems or he and his buddy took a hoax to far, whatever the motivations. He can end it all by just telling then truth now, and people will be over it in a day. Or he can continue the path of lies, and it will follow him for a long time.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
So why not after they got plowed by Alabama?

I agree that it's not any of the public's business. Honestly, had Te'o and Notre Dame came out and said that he was the victim of a hoax, it would be a lot more believable than to sit on it for a couple of weeks and then have someone like DeadSpin ruin your flawless image. Now, whether or not he was the victim of a hoax, his image has been blasted. People will always question him and his honesty.

I think there are a lot of inconsistencies here...not some. If she did way back in September, and she really meant that much to him, why then did he not attend the funeral? Did he meet her online or after the Stanford game. We've heard both stories. I'm sitting here listening to MLB Radio on SiriusXM like I always do at work and even they are taking cheap shots at Te'o today lol. Jack Swarbrick's press conference last night was just baffling. Seems like he didn't know how to answer the questions.

You overestimate peoples' memories.

Tell me, how often when you think about something Reggie Bush says, or something he does on the field, or when you see him on Hard Knocks acting like a leader...do you immediately think about his being caught taking money in college and having to give up his Heisman? Do you think that if he'd not taken money, he'd be a better pro than he is right now? Does that have ANY BEARING WHATSOEVER on what you think of the man as an NFL pro?

When was the last time you heard about how Ray Lewis will NOT go in the Hall of Fame because he was involved in a murder?

This kind of **** will be forgotten in a damn month. Well, a month after the NFL Draft, anyway.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Interesting reply I guess.

I'll leave it at this, te'o said She told him he didn't want him to skip his game for the funeral. Teo said after the game he sent he white flowers and grab 2 picks for her. Something along those lines.

How could he send her flowers? She didn't exist, there was no funeral to send them to, no family members to send them to, no address, nothing.

The guy got caught in a lie he started. IMO he's probably a good kid who either has some serious problems or he and his buddy took a hoax to far, whatever the motivations. He can end it all by just telling then truth now, and people will be over it in a day. Or he can continue the path of lies, and it will follow him for a long time.

How do you know he didn't send those flowers?

Locke
01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
The question isn't a matter of "if" he was involved. The story he's going to tell, no matter what, is that he was NOT involved. The question is whether you imagine there ending up some smoking gun out there that proves that he was involved. I seriously doubt it.

Like I said, what the NFL scouts and GMs are going to do with this is interview him and the rest of his teammates, friends and coaches, and see if they can ferret out any evidence aside from this weird hoax thing, that he's any less of an intelligent leader than they'd already perceived him to be. If they find that evidence, then this story will matter. If they don't, it won't.

And that's the bottom line.

I agree with everything here. And I agree that there will likely not be a smoking gun. The closest thing to it is his relationship with the guy deadspin found to be gathering the pictures of the girl and manning the twitter account. That's not nearly enough to implicate him without doubt. I do think he still goes first round, but I also think he is definitely going to be dropped/removed from some team's big boards. Notre Dame went all out with the PR in mitigating the damage to this guy's reputation, and it seems to be working. I heard that the author of the article is going to be on the Ed Schultz show tonight, though. I think this is going to get a lot more interesting before it goes away...

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree with everything here. And I agree that there will likely not be a smoking gun. The closest thing to it is his relationship with the guy deadspin found to be gathering the pictures of the girl and manning the twitter account. That's not nearly enough to implicate him without doubt. I do think he still goes first round, but I also think he is definitely going to be dropped/removed from some team's big boards. Notre Dame went all out with the PR in mitigating the damage to this guy's reputation, and it seems to be working. I heard that the author of the article is going to be on the Ed Schultz show tonight, though. I think this is going to get a lot more interesting before it goes away...

Think of it within the context of Ray Lewis being wanted for questioning in a MURDER that police believed he was present at, and how essentially everyone involved got away without being charged because they all refused to say anything.

That's MURDER.

A living person.

Dead by the hand of a man.

Hall of Fame.

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
How do you know he didn't send those flowers?

Its kind of hard to send flowers to a dead person who doesn't exist. Wouldnt ya think?

Locke
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Think of it within the context of Ray Lewis being wanted for questioning in a MURDER that police believed he was present at, and how essentially everyone involved got away without being charged because they all refused to say anything.

That's MURDER.

A living person.

Dead by the hand of a man.

Hall of Fame.

Again, I don't disagree. But we're talking his draft stock, not his level of guilt in a crime. I just don't see how this doesn't effect it. Of course, after the national championship game, if he does fall, we'll never know if it was due to this or his performance against Alabama...

hooshoops
01-17-2013, 05:10 PM
ha ha...some of you guys should be defense attorneys...

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Its kind of hard to send flowers to a dead person who doesn't exist. Wouldnt ya think?

Not at all, actually.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Again, I don't disagree. But we're talking his draft stock, not his level of guilt in a crime. I just don't see how this doesn't effect it. Of course, after the national championship game, if he does fall, we'll never know if it was due to this or his performance against Alabama...

I'm not talking about Ray Lewis' level of guilt in a crime or whether he should be in jail or not. I'm talking about day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year, how many times since 2002 or so have we talked about Ray Lewis and immediately thought of the murders he was charged with by Atlanta prosecutors, and for which he settled million dollar civil suits with families? I'm talking about legacy. Has it made Ray Lewis any worse of a football player? Has it made Ray Lewis any worse a prospect for the Hall of Fame? Has it made Ray Lewis any worse of a leader?

In fact it's just the opposite. Many, including Shannon Sharpe and Ray Lewis himself, claim that the whole thing made Ray Lewis a better football player, a better leader, and a better person.

Locke
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
The latest comes from Bob Holtzman of ESPN, who reported on College Football Live (via Rotoworld.com) that Teo's teammates at Notre Dame sensed that something was amiss regarding the claims of a girlfriend who died in September.

I talked to a former Notre Dame teammate of Teo's today, who told me that most players always thought that this wasnt really Teo's girlfriend (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/23006/nfl-draft-headlines?r=1), Holtzman said. And that they always suspected that this didnt really add up with the story. [The teammate] also told me that Teo loved the attention and that even though the story may not have been what it seemed to be, that he was more than happy to play along with it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-teo-loved-the-attention-and-teammates-were-suspicious/

This dude definitely has something going on. Maybe another Borderline Personality? Can't say without knowing/speaking with the guy, but something is definitely off...

hooshoops
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
now watch we'll find out the indy coach didn't have leukemia...

Locke
01-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm not talking about Ray Lewis' level of guilt in a crime or whether he should be in jail or not. I'm talking about day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year, how many times since 2002 or so have we talked about Ray Lewis and immediately thought of the murders he was charged with by Atlanta prosecutors, and for which he settled million dollar civil suits with families? I'm talking about legacy. Has it made Ray Lewis any worse of a football player? Has it made Ray Lewis any worse a prospect for the Hall of Fame? Has it made Ray Lewis any worse of a leader?

In fact it's just the opposite. Many, including Shannon Sharpe and Ray Lewis himself, claim that the whole thing made Ray Lewis a better football player, a better leader, and a better person.

I don't think it's going to effect his level of play, absolutely agree. I just think he may have to go the Burfict route (not saying he'll go undrafted) and have to start over with his image. I think this will end up costing him a lot of money on that rookie contract. But if he is the talent he looked to be pre-Alabama, he'll outplay that contract and get it back on his follow up contract. Once training camp starts, barring some crazy twist or something, most people won't even remember this happened. Up until the draft? I think this will continue to be one of the most talked about stories...

hooshoops
01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
nfl networks gonna bang this drum at the combine like they did the tebow one when he was a prospect...oh joy

looks like i'll be fastforwarding a lot

Fin_Frenzy_84
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Im not making a big deal of the Bama game. It sure doesnt help when you d-line is getting wreck the whole game! No double teams at all

hooshoops
01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
chance warmack had his hands full with that one dt #9...he was a load

Roman529
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
He didn't have the best game against Alabama and Warmack, and the other Bama lineman seemed to push him around. His arms look a little short, but he tackles well. I am not saying he is going to be Zach Thomas on the next level, but I think he will have his place in the NFL. Also, we don't know all of the facts on what happened with the "girlfriend," or even if she existed....maybe he was duped in some way??? Strange story, but don't everyone throw him under the bus....didn't you guys do some stupid sh*t back in your college days? I know I did. Hopefully he will grow from this. I would be ok with giving him a serious look if he dropped to the second round, even though he probably isn't a real need for us.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Extraneous stuff like this isn't really going to affect what kind of pro a guy will be.

You're not hiring guys to be Albert Schweitzer. You're hiring guys to pound the brains out of the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Zounds
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
A few points:

Whether Teo was duped or not, he still knowingly lied to media, fans, and teammates. Thats wrong no matter how you look at it.

This is the public's business because Te'o made it the public's business by using his story to gain acclaim. If you tell the world "My girlfriend died", then it becomes the world's business. Its only private if Te'o kept it private, which he didnt. If he lied to people, then they have a right to know.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
And let's also keep something else in mind.

ESPN has a vested interest in pinning all of this on Te'o. They're the ones that were made to look foolish for running crazy with this story to begin with, without even doing the SLIGHTEST degree of background and/or fact checking.

I think it's pretty well accepted that there are inconsistencies in Manti's story from the start. Deadspin did a good job pointing those out. For whatever reason, he definitely embellished some parts of the story. Not that it matters to me or that we should really care about it. But ESPN does. They're made to look foolish by this.

DKphin
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Extraneous stuff like this isn't really going to affect what kind of pro a guy will be.

You're not hiring guys to be Albert Schweitzer. You're hiring guys to pound the brains out of the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage.:lol2: Great point that gets lost in all this bulls#$t

xXwarXx
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM

You're not hiring guys to be Albert Schweitzer. You're hiring guys to pound the brains out of the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Teams don't care about character issues anymore? This guy went through lengths far beyond anything terrell Owens ever did for attention.

Pete themel just released a complete transcript from interviews he did with te'o, it's sickening the detail he came up with to run this hoax.

ckparrothead
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Teams don't care about character issues anymore? This guy went through lengths far beyond anything terrell Owens ever did for attention.

Pete themel just released a complete transcript from interviews he did with te'o, it's sickening the detail he came up with to run this hoax.

Teams care very much about character issues...to the extent that character issues will A) Prevent a guy from playing football on Sunday, or B) Be a team distraction.

Not seeing it demonstrated how this murky he-said/she-said situation is suggestive of either one. Pro football isn't college football.

Said an NFL scout about the situation: "From everything I can tell, he's a good kid and a good player. He didn't hurt anybody. It's just weird. Really, really weird."

And there you have it, in a nutshell.

This will be forgotten pretty shortly, IMO.

kvado16
01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Anyone who calls Te'o's season luck has the worst possible argument. Btw, Te'o isn't falling to the 2nd if he falls to 12 I'd take him and all the UM fans don't hate on the player just cause ND stomped on us. He deserves credit, you guys want to look at one bad game and say "Oh this proves Manti T'eo sucks!" stop the nonsense guys with that logic we'd have never gotten Marino cause he had one bad season his senior season at Pitt.

SkapePhin
01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
No offense but that's some serious bull**** right there.

There's also this:

Yeah I'm sure it's really Manti Te'o that is logging in and taking sarcastic shots at his own performance against Alabama from this twitter account, even after this whole thing has blown up and he should be distancing himself from it as much as possible.

From what I understand, the @LennayKay account was changed to another following her death. Once a Twitter user changes their name, that name is then avaialble for anyone else to pick it up. Once this story broke, I'm pretty sure someone snapped up the account for parody purposes.

SkapePhin
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
After reading this incredibly detailed interview, there is absolutely NO WAY Te'o wasn't in on this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#all

SI: What was her major?

TE'O: Her major was in English and something. I'll double check.

SI: I can call Stanford and check. They have to have some record or note that she passed.

SI: So long distance relationship?

TE'O: She was supposed to come [to visit me at Notre Dame]. She was just cleared to come to the Wake Forest game, my senior game. It was mainly just on the phone, every day.

SI: Your dad told me that he called you at 7 a.m. on the day she died. He said when he woke up he had texts from Lennay. I'm confused. Walk me through that day.

TE'O: She was actually getting better to the point where she was cleared to fly and was sent home. She was doing better. So I woke up in the morning and my parents woke me up and they told me about my grandma. And my girlfriend was just someone who was so loving and caring and cares for others. She really loves my parents and my parents love her. She called and she offered her condolences on behalf of her and her family and she was telling them that she loves him and how they're thinking and praying for us.

And then I remember I went to class and went to workouts and after workouts, right before I was about to come into meetings, I got a text message from her phone but it was her brother. Every time her brother texts me he just says, "Bro." I was like, "Why is her brother texting me?" Then I get a phone call from her older brother's phone. He's just crying. And immediately I felt like, "Oh my Gosh, what just happened." And then he told me, "She's gone bro."

SI: How did it happen?

TE'O: It was just so sudden. I don't know the details of it. It was just a surprise.

SI: What was her older brother's name?

TE'O: Koa.

SI: What did he have to tell you?

TE'O: I kind of felt it. He was just crying and crying and crying. I just had to calm him down. I was like, "You have to speak clearly, I need to know what's going on." That's when he told me, Lala is gone. That's what they call her. They call her Lala.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#ixzz2II4hFMFh

I mean, this is some super detailed stuff. How would a hoaxer have the time of day and the STAMINA to continue this hoax for so long?? Calling and talking to him on the phone for 8 hours every night? Hiring other accomplices to act as the hoax girl's brother? I mean, come on... We can really believe someone wanted to hoax this guy so badly that it would literally consume their lives for over a year? Someone probably wouldn't even put together such a vast hoax even if it guaranteed them a million dollars, much less for no discernable reward other than to punk a guy.

After reading that interview, Te'o's ability to lie so convincingly is reaching sociopath levels...

SkapePhin
01-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Cliff's Notes version of the above...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-11-fishiest-quotes-from-manti-teos-september

keller377
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Teo's biggest weakness coming into the season was his pass coverage. He improved on that aspect of his game immensely. His interception total does not reflect that.

Alabama dominates nearly every team. Of course Teo has to get stronger, he is going to the NFL... Your arguments make no sense.

Is he as good as Jarvis Jones? Probably not. Is he a better pick than every other linebacker in this draft? "80% certainly".

keller377
01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
The whole hoax should be 1000x more embarrassing for ESPN than for Teo. They had all the information that was need to blow this up as soon as the death was reported, if not before.

ESPN and other media outlets were the ones selling the death story all along. Now they are the ones selling the hoax story.

Panem et circenses

MP-Omnis
01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
After reading this incredibly detailed interview, there is absolutely NO WAY Te'o wasn't in on this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#all

I mean, this is some super detailed stuff. How would a hoaxer have the time of day and the STAMINA to continue this hoax for so long?? Calling and talking to him on the phone for 8 hours every night? Hiring other accomplices to act as the hoax girl's brother? I mean, come on... We can really believe someone wanted to hoax this guy so badly that it would literally consume their lives for over a year? Someone probably wouldn't even put together such a vast hoax even if it guaranteed them a million dollars, much less for no discernable reward other than to punk a guy.

After reading that interview, Te'o's ability to lie so convincingly is reaching sociopath levels...

You'd be surprised. You know that this guy is going to be a millionaire soon. Why not hoax him and try to get a chunk of that cheese? The bizarre part is that she died before he got paid.

Awsi Dooger
01-18-2013, 03:10 AM
It's so bizarre I suspect it will follow him around his entire career, which will be stellar.

I almost wrote Stella. Maybe she's next.

ckparrothead
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Personally I think the whole thing will be forgotten within months of his drafting. The Draft news cycle being what it is, the episode is going to be spun and recycled all the way until draft day, although I suspect people will get tired of talking about it about one month before the Draft itself. However, after the Draft is done, within months, nobody will be talking about it. And by the time Te'o suits up a couple of times in his new team's uniforms, it'll be the kind of old news that never even gets mentioned.

Unless he sucks. If he sucks all bets are off because the way the public works is they've got to find something negative to make you known for. It can be incredibly small or incredibly big, but if you suck they're going to find something negative to define you. For example, Eddie Moore and the bar fight he got in where a guy punched him and knocked him unconscious.

Awsi Dooger
01-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Legal concerns like Kobe Bryant or Ray Lewis seem to fade away, as long as there's some vagueness to it, and the person is otherwise considered formidable.

Teo's situation is not similar. He's got jokes attached to him, with no sight of that ending. That means extreme vulnerability and it's an easy topic to remember, an invented girlfriend. Fans will feel very comfortable taking digs at him, everyone trying to be more crude or more clever than the last guy.

I'd say he needs one of three paths to stem this:

* Become a tremendous player on any team
* Very good player on a respected, almost feared team
* Date or get married to a babe who publicly drapes herself all over him and isn't afraid to get in the face of the public

I guess I'll root for number three, the most entertaining

Locke
01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Legal concerns like Kobe Bryant or Ray Lewis seem to fade away, as long as there's some vagueness to it, and the person is otherwise considered formidable.

Teo's situation is not similar. He's got jokes attached to him, with no sight of that ending. That means extreme vulnerability and it's an easy topic to remember, an invented girlfriend. Fans will feel very comfortable taking digs at him, everyone trying to be more crude or more clever than the last guy.

I'd say he needs one of three paths to stem this:

* Become a tremendous player on any team
* Very good player on a respected, almost feared team
* Date or get married to a babe who publicly drapes herself all over him and isn't afraid to get in the face of the public

I guess I'll root for number three, the most entertaining

I'm rooting for it to be Lindsey Lohan or Miley Cyrus. No way that would disappoint...

Birdmond
01-19-2013, 06:53 AM
If T'eo runs a good 40 yard dash and throws up 30 plus reps @ 225 he'll climb right back up the draft boards. That being said, No, I've no use for T'eo.