PDA

View Full Version : Cordarrelle Patterson - Perspective

Digital
01-20-2013, 03:33 PM
As most of you know I am a big fan of Cordarrelle Patterson. I've been hoping for months that we might be able to get him in the 2nd round because he was so raw and inexperienced. That now appears highly unlikely, so I'm on board with drafting him at #12 overall if he is the best player available.

His physical ability is breathtaking. He has phenominal burst, change of direction, vision, ability to set up his blocks, patience to use his blocks, and nose for the goal line. He has many other good traits like size (6'3 and 205 lbs.), speed (I'd guess around 4.45 in the 40), quickness, catching technique, and blocking downfield.

But, he is very raw. He is very undeveloped in important skills such as route running. He doesn't run the full route tree, so even knowledge is an area of weakness. He needs to work on his timing. His routes are not precise (always the same) nor accurate (exactly where the play and situation dictate). He doesn't have command of the offensive plays enough to properly read the defense and situation and make the correct hot-read. In sum, he is a lot like Victor Cruz was ... great when the ball arrives and after the catch, but hard for a QB to know exactly where he will be or to count on being where he should be.

In most cases, these things can be taught, but not always. Coaches often look for a player doing it the right way. Some think that if they can do it the right way once, the coach can get that out of them consistently with coaching. Sometimes that works, and other times it gets the coach and GM fired. Which will Cordarrelle Patterson be?

I believe that Patterson was very raw coming from 2 years of junior college, but he learned humility and hard work. Only upon arriving at Tennessee did he really evolve from the greatest physical talent on the field every game into the beginnings of a wide receiver. I think he will develop into a very good WR in the NFL. But, if he doesn't, it will be because he doesn't become a polished receiver, not because he lacks the tools.

Below are two videos. One shows you the electric highlights of Cordarrelle Patterson, the dynamic WR and KR/PR for the less than 1 full season he spent at the University of Tennessee. The other one shows you another great prospect's highlights in college, which include more KR/PR and some WR over his entire career at another major university.

Cordarrelle Patterson, 6'3, 205 lbs., approximately 4.45 in the 40. Highlights of less than 1 full year at "receiver U" the University of Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

Other prospect, 6'1, 200 lbs., 4.3 in the 40. Career highlights of multiple years at a major football university.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Watch both videos. The "other prospect" played longer at the collegiate level but had far less highlights as a WR compared to a returner. Speed and running ability were never questioned for either prospect, but polish as WR's and their route running were. Let me know what you think about Cordarrelle Patterson and how risky he is or isn't.

Billk78
01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Im nervous hes just another Clyde Gates. But if we get Jennings I think we can take a chance on this guy and hope he's a playmaker. Again my main concern is its too much of a boom or bust choice.

BAdkins159
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
I really like him. He has big play wrote all over him. Would be upset at all with taking him at 12.

BAdkins159
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I like him alot. He has big play written all over him. I wouldnt be upset at all if we take him at 12.

Travis34
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I want him, a lot.

But i'm no expert

adrianbello360
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
His vision, speed, and size are god given. You can't coach that. He can go full speed than stop on a dime, change directions and go full speed again. It's incredible.
I do see the worry of him having the boom/bust factor, but honestly if we get a veteran WR who runs polished routes and is a student of the game (Greg Jennings anyone?) , I think he can learn a lot and be polished in 2 years, which is the learning curve for WRs in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finsfan4life
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I like what I've read about him. I don't like to trade draft picks, but if we drafted him and then traded our 2 second rounders to move up and draft Eifert, I would be very happy.

AFCMiamiEast
01-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I do not understand if he is head and shoulders above his team's actual primary receiver (Justin Hunter), why does he play "sidekick" to him...? All I have seen from the kid is highlights, and anyone who has only looked up Patterson's career highlights instead of actual draft analysis, you'd best do more homework. I am not stating that if you want us to hit on the kid you haven't done your homework, but I do not understand his hype when he isn't even the best receiver on his own team.

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Project at #12? That isn't a QB? No thanks. Give me a plug and play TE.

Kevlared
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
I do not understand if he is head and shoulders above his team's actual primary receiver (Justin Hunter), why does he play "sidekick" to him...? All I have seen from the kid is highlights, and anyone who has only looked up Patterson's career highlights instead of actual draft analysis, you'd best do more homework. I am not stating that if you want us to hit on the kid you haven't done your homework, but I do not understand his hype when he isn't even the best receiver on his own team.

i think the hype with him has more to do with more his ability to create after the catch and his potential to become a great WR if he learns how to play the position. as of right now, i believe Hunter is the better WR as of right now and more pro ready. Hunter has great potential and upside but patterson's ability to create with the ball is what is causing the hype.

raving
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
This kid a 3rd round pick and a gamble at that.

Miami needs to draft the BPA.

Avoid picking WR in the 1st round.

CB, LB, beastly DE. Avoid another Yatil Green!

AFCMiamiEast
01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
i think the hype with him has more to do with more his ability to create after the catch and his potential to become a great WR if he learns how to play the position. as of right now, i believe Hunter is the better WR as of right now and more pro ready. Hunter has great potential and upside but patterson's ability to create with the ball is what is causing the hype.

Well I have been a fan of trading down for Hunter since our last game of the season. Give me the most pro ready of the bunch, the last thing this team needs is another project, we need to leave it be with Tannehill. We can trade down for Hunter, than trade two of our three (if we traded down for Hunter we'd get an additional 3rd 2nd rounder) and than get Eiffert as well. That would be a fantastic 1st round for this team IMO and a HUGE step in the right direction.

NUGap
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM

I find it funny that you're talking down to people without actually taking a second to think about Patterson and Hunter's season. It took me about 15 seconds to pull up Patterson's stats. You'll note that Patterson had a number of touches in the run game before we get started.

If you add all those up, they equal 308 yards. Patterson had 778 yard receiving. Together those make 1086 yards of total offensive production (we'll exclude return yardage) and 71 touches on offense between the two.

Justin Hunter had 73 receptions and 1083 yards receiving.

I'm no math genius, but I think those are almost exactly the same. Patterson had the lowest target rate of all tier 1 receivers. If he had a similar quarterback as the other wide receivers he would have had added 390 yards to his season production (the homework I've done). Maybe you should double check your work on your "homework" because clearly you didn't think your answers all the way through. I don't have a problem with you not liking Patterson, I have a problem with you being condescending while doing it.

DKphin
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
You mean you would not take a WR at 12, but would take a TE. What is the logic behind that?

SF Dolphin Fan
01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Honestly, I'd take Cordarelle Patterson at #12 and not look back. Love what I see from him and he could learn the offense and work in while he returns kicks. He doesn't have to catch 80 balls as a rookie. Definitely is elite with the ball in his hands. I think Jeff Ireland would prefer a more polished guy like Keenan Allen.

Canadi-Phin
01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I love this kid as well.I would love to see us draft him and sign Jennings. One thing this team lacks is very good veterans to teach the younger pups how to play the game in the NFL. Kruger just talked about this exact thing when it comes to Ray Lewis, said Ray demands everyone prepare like him for each game. Holds everyone accountable. This also why teams like the Steelers continueto have grat linebackers, the draft guys a year or two before they are needed and they get taught by the guys in frot of them. Same with the packers and receivers, that started way back and has continued right up until now and will continue next year. I bet the Packers draft another receiver in the top 4 rounds. Jennings could come in and help polish a guy like Patterson and then hopefully a guy liek Steadman Bailey in late 2nd early third as well.

j-off-her-doll
01-21-2013, 06:49 PM

LOL. Who, at 12?

ckparrothead
01-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Jason Pierre-Paul was very much a "project" at defensive end. I'm sure the Giants are glad they took him in the mid-1st.

BlueFin
01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
I think there are no doubt safer picks....I would not have a problem with Chance Warmack for one.

finfan54
01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I like Patterson but no way at 12. He is more a great special teamer, end around guy when he makes his plays based on what I have seen. He scored 5 TD's. I know that is a WR rich team but I think there is hype buildup on this guy and it would be safer for him to fall to 44. There are always guys who are ranked high and dont make it for whatever reason. Martin is case and point He was ranked high right up till the draft.

I think Woods would be a better prospect in our system to make a splash but the ulitmate to me is Bailey. He does slants, screens, goes deep, catches TD's. I am looking for someone who fits what we do more than buy into a guy because he looks great in the open field.

Digital
01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I've said it before, but Patterson kinda reminds me of a 6'3 Mark Duper. He doesn't quite have the speed, but he has the build, fluidness, explosiveness, and he will scare defenses. His running style reminds me more of a bigger faster Mark Clayton actually, with great athletic ability and simply amazing open field talent. But, if I were to liken Patterson to anyone in the NFL today, it would be Victor Cruz. Incredible talent, but raw. Much like Cruz had to develop and still isn't the finished product, I think Patterson will show electric ability and real game changing plays while he is becoming that complete receiver.

kcbrown
01-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I like both Hunter and Patterson. Sign 'em both up :)

Emanauguste
01-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Hunter and Patterson would be great idk what some of u are talking about patterson is going to b great yea he wasnt the primary target at the beginning of the season but he finished the season as tge primary. ... this kid came out of no where and is arguably the most athletic and talented wr in the draft... I say the phins do it different and get there guy.. there is only one elite receiver in the league who has come in the last 5 years that wasnt taken in the top 15 and thats victor Cruz the phins need to make that move all sthe teams in the playoffs this year have 2 receiver threats thats wat we newd in this passing league. .. I dont want a offensive lineman again we need new life something different on this team new swagger. .

BigNastyDB13
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I do not understand if he is head and shoulders above his team's actual primary receiver (Justin Hunter), why does he play "sidekick" to him...? All I have seen from the kid is highlights, and anyone who has only looked up Patterson's career highlights instead of actual draft analysis, you'd best do more homework. I am not stating that if you want us to hit on the kid you haven't done your homework, but I do not understand his hype when he isn't even the best receiver on his own team. Funny thing is, I watched a lot of Tennessee games last season because they had 2 highly regarded WR's, but mostly because of the hype Justin Hunter had entering the game. The more I watched Tennessee, the more I couldnt figure out how Hunter was rated higher than Patterson. In my opinion, Patterson IS the better WR. That doesnt necessarily mean I want him at #12 but I wouldnt have a problem with taking him in the 1st round. Its time we start drafting talent instead of "safe" guys. Safe guys get you mediocre role players like Misi. To the guy who compared Gates to Patterson...really? Wow

Digital
01-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Funny thing is, I watched a lot of Tennessee games last season because they had 2 highly regarded WR's, but mostly because of the hype Justin Hunter had entering the game. The more I watched Tennessee, the more I couldnt figure out how Hunter was rated higher than Patterson. In my opinion, Patterson IS the better WR. That doesnt necessarily mean I want him at #12 but I wouldnt have a problem with taking him in the 1st round. Its time we start drafting talent instead of "safe" guys. Safe guys get you mediocre role players like Misi. To the guy who compared Gates to Patterson...really? Wow

I kind of feel the same way. Justin Hunter is an awesome receiver IMHO. He is physically something in the mold of AJ Green or even Randy Moss, with legit 6'4 and long arms paired with elite leaping ability and excellent high pointing technique. Hunter is a size mismatch in the red zone and whenever you need a first down because he elevates higher than TE's and catches the ball where the defender cannot get it (assuming he develops the arm/hand strength to bring it down in traffic). He is a speed mismatch at all times and everywhere on the field. He runs solid routes, willingly blocks downfield, and when fully healthy probably runs in the low 4.4's, so he is an amazing talent. To me, he definitely needs to add muscle. He has already had injuries and appears fragile. He doesn't have the arm/hand strength to come down with NFL contested catches. His catching technique is good, but his concentration is inconsistent ... and sometimes he tries to run before catching it. Sometimes he runs great routes ... and sometimes his routes appear a tad lazy. He isn't a project, but he needs a disciplinarian coach to force him to do the needed work to become great ... and he needs to add 15 pounds of muscle, because he's weak and frail. I'd be fine with him in the 1st round, and I like Hunter better than Keenan Allen even though Hunter will take longer to start paying dividends ... becuase Hunter has All-Pro potential IMHO, whereas Allen will never make an All-Pro team IMHO.

But Cordarrelle Patterson is the guy who tempts you. His burst, RAC and ability to turn every play into a big gain really are eye popping.

Digital
01-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Hunter and Patterson would be great idk what some of u are talking about patterson is going to b great yea he wasnt the primary target at the beginning of the season but he finished the season as tge primary. ... this kid came out of no where and is arguably the most athletic and talented wr in the draft... I say the phins do it different and get there guy.. there is only one elite receiver in the league who has come in the last 5 years that wasnt taken in the top 15 and thats victor Cruz the phins need to make that move all sthe teams in the playoffs this year have 2 receiver threats thats wat we newd in this passing league. .. I dont want a offensive lineman again we need new life something different on this team new swagger. .

Great point about Victor Cruz. I definitely see some of the same abilities in Patterson and expect a similar speed and style of development. The only major difference is that while Patterson could be killer in the slot, I think he will start out playing primarily the split end (X) if we draft him, so we can get a deep threat on the sideline and force the safety deep while Patterson learns the full route tree. While the Giants have several deep threats, the Dolphins do not, so I don't think the slot would be the best use of Patterson for the first couple of seasons while he develops. Other than that, I think that's an excellent comparison. Assuming GM's know these things too, we may have to take Patterson at 12 if we want him.

FINMAN13
01-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Right now he is projected mid to late 1st round by some... I think he will be projected Top 15 all the way by the draft. Miami will have to fend off other teams trading up. I see him as the best option for WR in Miami. He has great size, speed and big play ability. I hope Miami drafts him and I would not even complain if they traded up a few spots to make sure he is a Fin.

Miami needs playmakers on offense and this guy can be our next big play WR.

finfan54
01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
He is another guy that makes me want to trade down to then you get another stud in the second round. But everyone is reading alot of these guys based on mocks and website boards. The teams will look at things alot differently particularly when the QB position comes into play.

dolfin530
01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Physically he is the best WR in the draft but #12 is too high because he is a raw talent.

miami9954
01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
When i watch Patterson ,I see a little Josh Cribbs with the ballin his hand.Does anybody else make that connection?

dolphinsbshaw72
01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
As most of you know I am a big fan of Cordarrelle Patterson. I've been hoping for months that we might be able to get him in the 2nd round because he was so raw and inexperienced. That now appears highly unlikely, so I'm on board with drafting him at #12 overall if he is the best player available.

His physical ability is breathtaking. He has phenominal burst, change of direction, vision, ability to set up his blocks, patience to use his blocks, and nose for the goal line. He has many other good traits like size (6'3 and 205 lbs.), speed (I'd guess around 4.45 in the 40), quickness, catching technique, and blocking downfield.

But, he is very raw. He is very undeveloped in important skills such as route running. He doesn't run the full route tree, so even knowledge is an area of weakness. He needs to work on his timing. His routes are not precise (always the same) nor accurate (exactly where the play and situation dictate). He doesn't have command of the offensive plays enough to properly read the defense and situation and make the correct hot-read. In sum, he is a lot like Victor Cruz was ... great when the ball arrives and after the catch, but hard for a QB to know exactly where he will be or to count on being where he should be.

In most cases, these things can be taught, but not always. Coaches often look for a player doing it the right way. Some think that if they can do it the right way once, the coach can get that out of them consistently with coaching. Sometimes that works, and other times it gets the coach and GM fired. Which will Cordarrelle Patterson be?

I believe that Patterson was very raw coming from 2 years of junior college, but he learned humility and hard work. Only upon arriving at Tennessee did he really evolve from the greatest physical talent on the field every game into the beginnings of a wide receiver. I think he will develop into a very good WR in the NFL. But, if he doesn't, it will be because he doesn't become a polished receiver, not because he lacks the tools.

Below are two videos. One shows you the electric highlights of Cordarrelle Patterson, the dynamic WR and KR/PR for the less than 1 full season he spent at the University of Tennessee. The other one shows you another great prospect's highlights in college, which include more KR/PR and some WR over his entire career at another major university.

Cordarrelle Patterson, 6'3, 205 lbs., approximately 4.45 in the 40. Highlights of less than 1 full year at "receiver U" the University of Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

Other prospect, 6'1, 200 lbs., 4.3 in the 40. Career highlights of multiple years at a major football university.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Watch both videos. The "other prospect" played longer at the collegiate level but had far less highlights as a WR compared to a returner. Speed and running ability were never questioned for either prospect, but polish as WR's and their route running were. Let me know what you think about Cordarrelle Patterson and how risky he is or isn't.

Lmao.. Nice.. I still like Ginn.. Never thought we should have traded him.. But he wasn't worth were he was picked.. Maybe 3rd ;)

rev kev
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
You mean you would not take a WR at 12, but would take a TE. What is the logic behind that?

To me PLUG and PLAY means not a project you wait 2 years for - such as Eifert is READY

rcasellas64
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Thank god our quarterback is a former WR who can teach him how to run routes in the WCO...

Digital
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Well the typical WCO looks for WR's who are big and can generate RAC. Guys like Patterson, Hunter, Allen and a few others fit the bill. This particular staff seems to really REALLY want big and fast WR's, as evidenced the long opportunities given to Roberto Wallace, Marlon Moore, and the revolving door of big/fast WR's we've brought through. I'd guess one of the reasons they seem so set on big WR's is downfield blocking ... not very glamorous and not something fans typically even consider when looking at WR's, but it's the sort of thing that turns a 6-12 yard run into a 50 Bush/Miller TD, or allows another WR with RAC ability to turn a 15 yard curl into a 75 yard TD that makes the highlight reel and puts buts in stadium seats. IMHO, that was the one and only thing that Legadu Naanee was good at doing.

But also, our particular team lacks a true deep threat. The running game prospered early in the season until teams started playing red zone defense on us everywhere. They crowded the LOS, stacked the box and filled the running lanes. When that happened, Bush went from being a legitimate challenger to the top runners in the NFL to being a finesse runner who constantly found the holes filled at the line of scrimmage. None of our WR's were fast, so even if they got away from their CB's, the safety could always stop the TD. The CB's allowed virtually zero cushion and although they sometimes got beat, they very often blanketed their WR and forced Tannehill to thread the needle just to make a routine reception.

We can't endure another season working against that type of stifling defenses. We absolutely need at least 1 deep threat (preferrably 2) to force the safety out of the box and open up the running lanes. I say preferrably 2, because our offensive tempo coupled with pushing the WR's on deep routes will tire both the DB's and our WR's, so we need to rotate speedsters in from time to time. It also wears down DB's forcing them to allow greater cushion as they tire, and our rotating WR's are fresher and are magically more open in the 4th quarter. So, I'd say our staff will be adding deep speed to the list of needs for at least 1 if not 2 of our draftees.

So, when it's all said and done, speedsters like Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, Marquise Goodwin, and Denard Robinson may not rate as highly on our boards because they're not big enough nor are they high potential blockers downfield. Exciting yes, but not what the staff seems to be looking to acquire. Then guys with the size but lacking the speed may not rate highly either, so we might not be as high as most teams on guys like Aaron Dobson, Quinton Patton and Kenny Stills. Good receivers all, and with the right fit team they can excel, but I doubt it will be with us.

I'd suspect we'll be looking for guys like Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods and Cobi Hamilton for one of our receivers. There are a number of other guys with questions who I'm sure we'd like, but not sure where we'd rate them compared to the rest of the league, like Keenan Allen (deep speed), DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams (press coverage) and Da'Rick Rogers (deep speed & character).

When I look at the type of WR that Philbin, Sherman & co. have brought in, it's clear they're looking for a LOT in the way of physical ability from the WR position. If they don't draft them by the 2nd round, they'll likely be stuck with trying to develop Binns or Tyms. So, I'd think Patterson at 12 looks like a very realistic option to them right now.