PDA

View Full Version : What Will Ireland Do?

SF Dolphin Fan
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
We all have our favorite players, we've seen tons of mocks across websites. But what it come down to is what will Jeff Ireland do come draft day? We know a few things about Ireland from past drafts. He is a slave to needs when he drafts. Sometimes this is good (Pouncey) and sometimes not so good (Davis when Matthews was on board). But in this respect he has been consistent and, thankfully, our needs match the strength of the draft. Ireland also likes safe picks. I know that safe sometimes has a negative connotation, but it just means he isn't too likely to gamble on the boom or busts which can be good.

So looking ahead, who will Ireland take in the 1st? Well, if you look at needs it's wr, cb, pass rusher, offensive line, safety, linebacking depth. If you eliminate the boom or busts then you might be taking Mingo and Jordan off the board in the 1st, possibly Patterson as well.

I think it comes down to Banks (Milliner should be gone), Allen (not likely at #12) or Warmack (if he drops, he fits Ireland' style). Thoughts?

2413fanphins
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Agree completely on warmack... but if you think rationally its actually a damn good pick.
Not sexy at all, but a great pick nonetheless.

Banks is probably in contention as well.

My hope is he goes bpa in round one... there are a lot of good talent in top 12, but not a lot of seperation between them imo...

Round two thru four or so... i think you can start matching your board with some needs... wr, cb, te, lb depth, stuff like that.

Im always a fan of bpa in 5-7.... but i dont mind a project pick in those rounds either.

I think with the collaborative effort between philbin and ireland... we can expect a pretty good.offseason.

ckparrothead
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
1. Trade Down
2. CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
3. CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
4. DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU (condition: Randy Starks is allowed to walk via free agency)
5. FS Kenny Vaccro, Texas

Those are my top 5 guesses.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Interesting list, CK. How far down do you think Miami would go and who would they target -- Eifert? That seems real high for Ansah, but I know somebody's going to take a chance on him in round 1.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Agree completely on warmack... but if you think rationally its actually a damn good pick.
Not sexy at all, but a great pick nonetheless.

Banks is probably in contention as well.

My hope is he goes bpa in round one... there are a lot of good talent in top 12, but not a lot of seperation between them imo...

Round two thru four or so... i think you can start matching your board with some needs... wr, cb, te, lb depth, stuff like that.

Im always a fan of bpa in 5-7.... but i dont mind a project pick in those rounds either.

I think with the collaborative effort between philbin and ireland... we can expect a pretty good.offseason.I don't think fans would like it much, initially anyway, if Miami drafted Warmack, but it could be a great pick. I think he fits a physical blocking scheme, but is also quick enough to fit as a zone guy. Dolphins could go something like this:

1. Warmack
2. Trufant
2. Marquis Wilson
3. Wheaton
3. Carradine

BlueFin
01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
I could definitely see a trade down.....the question is whether anyone will be hot enough for somebody to want to move up...I could see it with the new trend of drafting QB's high due to the rookie salary cap....teams no longer fear drafting QB's top 15.

ckparrothead
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Interesting list, CK. How far down do you think Miami would go and who would they target -- Eifert? That seems real high for Ansah, but I know somebody's going to take a chance on him in round 1.

I don't necessarily know that they would be targeting a player in their trade down. I think it would be a valuation call.

ckparrothead
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I could definitely see a trade down.....the question is whether anyone will be hot enough for somebody to want to move up...I could see it with the new trend of drafting QB's high due to the rookie salary cap....teams no longer fear drafting QB's top 15.

Teams may feel antsy about the corners in this Draft. I think once you get beyond Milliner and Banks, and perhaps Xavier Rhodes, you see a big drop off. There are a lot of teams that need quality corners.

MiamiMuss
01-21-2013, 09:01 PM
1. Trade Down
4. DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU (condition: Randy Starks is allowed to walk via free agency)

I think you can take Banks of and put Keenan on that list(personally).If we trade down great but if Vacarro is there we shouldnt pass him up.

Valandui
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Look at the roster and figure out which position has the most quality depth. That is what our first rounder will be. Probably a DT.

BlueFin
01-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Teams may feel antsy about the corners in this Draft. I think once you get beyond Milliner and Banks, and perhaps Xavier Rhodes, you see a big drop off. There are a lot of teams that need quality corners.

Yes, especially if those two or three guys show well in pre-draft workups. The question could be can Miami pass on one of those guys in that circumstance with the state of our secondary?

Penntastic
01-21-2013, 09:15 PM
need more playmaker.......thats what coach Philbin been harping all season .....need to score more points (average 19 points per game) is not going to cut it, lack of scoring had put so much pressure on the defense to keep the games close.

Hayden Fox
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
1. Trade Down

I like your list. I don't think they trade down this year. They already have enough picks. However, I DO think that a receiver is in the mix this year.