PDA

View Full Version : Eiffert vs. Ertz

AJFins87
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I've done a lot of reading and watched highlights of both. Obviously they are both huge prototypical builds for TE. Looking at their 40 times they both run under a 4.8 40 which isnt elite but a huge upgrade over Anthony Fasano. At this point it might be safe to say the Michael Egnew is a bust. Assuming that we don't address our TE need via free agency, which of these two would you rather have? Also assuming the dolphins either A. trade back into the late first to grab one, or B. one of them falls to us. Personally I like what i have seen more from Eiffert with his great body control, boxing out of DBs and naturally soft hands.

finfan54
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I think both will be good but I think Eiferts frame lends itself to better blocking and is ahead of the curve more in that regard. Ertz seems a bit more athletic but I think both would split out and play in. Eifert was seen playing H-back for blocking when Alabama was absolutely a nightmare for the QB.

datruth55
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree that you have to go into next season assuming Egnew doesn't make the roster. Eifert and Ertz are a lot closer than most think. Eifert's average prospect ranking right now is 21st and Ertz is 25th and knowing what I do about Rob Chudzinski, the new Browns HC, he's going to want a TE and I can see the Browns trading back into the bottom of the first for one of these guys.

miamiron
01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
I've done a lot of reading and watched highlights of both. Obviously they are both huge prototypical builds for TE. Looking at their 40 times they both run under a 4.8 40 which isnt elite but a huge upgrade over Anthony Fasano. At this point it might be safe to say the Michael Egnew is a bust. Assuming that we don't address our TE need via free agency, which of these two would you rather have? Also assuming the dolphins either A. trade back into the late first to grab one, or B. one of them falls to us. Personally I like what i have seen more from Eiffert with his great body control, boxing out of DBs and naturally soft hands.

Fasano ran a 4.71 and a 4.74 40 at his pro day

AJFins87
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM

He clearly doesnt have that speed anymore.

Fin Thirteen
01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Escobar seems like a good fit and a guy on the rise. Very athletic frame.

datruth55
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Escobar seems like a good fit and a guy on the rise. Very athletic frame.
Vance McDonald seems to be making some noise as well. He's a late round prospect.

I've heard some mixed reviews on Gavin Escobar but mostly about his blocking, seems to be a good receiver.

Fin Thirteen
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
There's nothing to find on Escobar, except for a bit of 2011 action. But he's much more than a blocker on that limited evidence. I still think Stoneburner is very undervalued as a Fasano type all rounder with good receiving skills.

sn9ke.eyes
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM

I think I read in the TOS that it's against forum rules to say anything positive about Fasano.

justdev7
01-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Eifert all the way. He understands how to set up defenders with his routes. Couple that with his size and you've got a very dangerous weapon all over the field and most importantly in the redzone

datruth55
01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
There's nothing to find on Escobar, except for a bit of 2011 action. But he's much more than a blocker on that limited evidence. I still think Stoneburner is very undervalued as a Fasano type all rounder with good receiving skills.

It's what I've read.

Kiper and Rang agree that Escobar is probably the fifth-best tight end on the board. They like his athletic ability and good hands, and project that he’ll likely go in the fourth or fifth round.

But by coming out as a junior, Escobar is ineligible for the all-star games, and his draft stock will be judged completely on how well he performs at SDSU’s pro day and at the NFL combine — if he gets an invitation.

“It’s not a very good class of senior tight ends, so it made some financial sense for him to consider his options,” Rang said. “And he fits in with the new era of tight ends who are more receivers than blockers.

“At the same time, considering the relatively weaker level of competition he faced at San Diego State, I would have liked him to come back and come out for the Senior Bowl.”
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/18/tp-pair-of-aztecs-readying-for-their-shots-at-pro/

Fin Thirteen
01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
It's what I've read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/18/tp-pair-of-aztecs-readying-for-their-shots-at-pro/

sorry I totally misread your post.

MiamiMuss
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Ertz is a very good TE.Alot better then people give him credit for.Better then both Eifert and Fleener IMO.

j-off-her-doll
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't be tripping over myself to grab either. I'd consider either in the 2nd - depending on who else is on the board and what we did with our 1st pick. But I can't imagine a scenario where I'd draft either in the 1st.

finfan54
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Ertz is a very good TE.Alot better then people give him credit for.Better then both Eifert and Fleener IMO.

I hate it when people make statements and never say why. back it up please! And exactly who is not giving Ertz credit? He is climbing boards into first round.

fanfin
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I like eifert more because his ability to win 50/50 balls is fantastic. that being said if we drafted Ertz you would hear no complaints from me. I think he is better than Fleener

finfan54
01-22-2013, 11:07 PM
I like eifert more because his ability to win 50/50 balls is fantastic. that being said if we drafted Ertz you would hear no complaints from me. I think he is better than Fleener

They say he doesnt drop many balls and he almost had a catch vs. Milliner at the sideline while extended and the DB hands on the ball while going out. Power.

Digital
01-24-2013, 01:10 AM
I would be ecstatic to get either of them. I really don't like any of the FA options and think the only two top notch TE's in the draft are Eifert and Ertz. I like both kids, both players and both fits. Eifert is kinda slow and not high-end athletic IMHO, but he has a big frame and he is a very natural pass catcher. He is a good seam threat primarily because of his size not his speed. He is a great red zone mismatch as well. He is a reliable hands catcher. He reminds me of a better version of John Carlson, and I think he will be a guy who consistently moves the chains and scores TD's.

Ertz seems faster and a great fit in the WCO. He is a seam threat because of his combo of speed and size, but he's no burner either. He isn't the red zone threat that Eifert is, but he's still a big guy and a mismatch in the end zone. What Ertz offers is better movement before and after the catch.

Neither is an accomplished blocker, but both are improving and working at becoming blockers. If Dennis Pitta, Joel Dreesen, Owen Daniels, and Kyle Rudolph can be decent TE's in this league, then Eifert and Ertz can be exceptional.