PDA

View Full Version : Phins send whole scouting dept to interview honey badger, showing interest

phinatic1399
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
MOBILE, ALA. —
Cornerback Tyrann Mathieu had one of the coolest nicknames in sports while at LSU — the “Honey Badger,” which is classified as an animal that “has few natural predators because of its thick skin and ferocious defensive abilities.”
But the “Honey Badger” couldn’t stay out of trouble at LSU. He failed too many drug tests and got kicked off the team in August despite his electric talent. Two months later, he and three former teammates were arrested on charges of marijuana possession.
Now, hoping to convince NFL teams that he has learned from his mistakes and that he’s worth the risk, the man with the golden-blonde Mohawk at the Senior Bowl wants it known:
“I’m not the Honey Badger right now,” said Mathieu, who isn’t playing in the all-star game but is on hand to speak with NFL officials and the media. “My career at LSU, being the Honey Badger, it just kind of came to an abrupt end. I’ll be the Honey Badger again, and I want to do it the right way this time.”
Mathieu, who turns 21 in May, isn’t hiding from his past this week in Mobile as he looks for a fresh start. He attended practices Monday and Tuesday, admitting to past mistakes with anyone who wanted to listen.
“It was tough, but I think it’s something I had to go through and something that made me stronger,” Mathieu said of his recent troubles. “I think it’s something that, looking forward, is going to further my success, because from this point on I can probably make wiser decisions.”
And NFL teams are listening to Mathieu, too. A source close to Mathieu said he has talked formally and informally with about 20 teams this week at the Senior Bowl, including the Dolphins — who sent their entire scouting department to interview him Monday night.
Despite his past troubles, the Dolphins certainly could use a player with Mathieu’s dynamic abilities. They need depth at cornerback — especially if free agent Sean Smith signs elsewhere — and could use a playmaker on defense and special teams. As a true sophomore in 2011, the diminutive Mathieu (5-feet-9, 180 pounds) was a consensus All-American, scoring two touchdowns on defense and two more on punt returns.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/miami-dolphins-among-teams-talking-to-honey-badger/nT5Wb/

NY8123
01-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Honey Badger doesn't give a ****.

Phins89
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I'd draft him in the 3rd. Hell...if we trade down and pick up an extra 2nd, I'm taking him the 2nd round. C.Patterson, Eifert, C.Long , Honey Badger with those picks.

You can dislike it but if he was a projected 1st rounder, freakish athlete and the only reason he dropped was because of weed (?)...then forget that.

TrinidadDolfan
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Honey Badger is extremely talented, and throws his body around like no one I have seen in many years.
He was projected Rd. 1 before the suspension, despite being undersized.

Screw it, I'd take him at 3rd. round if he is still there. His talent is off the charts

Crazysimon
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't think he would be a Philbin type player. We've seen Philbin purge the roster of trouble makers in Marshall and Johnson. Philbin doesn't like problems with the law.

hooshoops
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
potential late round steal here fellas...nickle corner with serious ball skills and a real nose for the football in all facets...the ball finds him...

MiamiNative0722
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
I think he is overrated. Jimmy Wilson-esque but a better kick returner.

foozool13
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Id take him round 5 or later...Maybe late 4 (at the earliest!!)

Fin Thirteen
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't think he would be a Philbin type player. We've seen Philbin purge the roster of trouble makers in Marshall and Johnson. Philbin doesn't like problems with the law.

That seems to be true, but nevertheless they they all were - interviewing him. Coyle says he wants impact players. I'm not sure if Mathieu really demonstrated he was worthy of the legendary status with his performances against the better college teams, but he is raw material that could be something we haven't seen in a Fins uniform before. He could also be a total bust.

We've seen with the Egnew backlash that the fans don't really trust JI to experiment with guys who need a lot of moulding. If he drafted Mathieu, I'd certainly respect him for his balls, if not necessarily his reasoning.

There certainly aren't many "impact playmakers" in this year's DB class. Poyer is interesting for his pick rate, Teo (despite the circus) has an amazing int rate for a LB. After those guys, the other names with turnover records in college come with plenty of deficiencies. Amerson is an example at CB, but he might make a very handy NFL safety.

Etuoo33
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Late (3-4)round nickle corner and KR? I don't think he's this regime's kind of player but he has a knack for making plays.

Tureo
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I agree that he's a nickel back/special teams star. I wouldn't take him earlier than round 4 at best. Not sure if I would bring him to Miami at all. There have been alot of stories flying around locally about him, his level of intelligence, and his inner demons. Just reminds me of a Pac Man type guy.

Aqua Ain't Easy
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Worth a look with one of our 3rd's

bcsupratt
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
YES!!!!! I'd love this kid on our team

dolphone
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Size (thus, durability) is a concern, I don't think attitude or off-field activities. Just a gut feeling.

Someone's gonna pick him in the second day.

SizzlingFins04
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Is he able to attend the NFL Combine? if yes, then i can see someone picking him up on day 1. The kids explosive, and just always has a knack for being around the ball. Plus training in boca raton with patrick peterson's dad isn't to shabby either.

LANGER72
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I understand the necessity of looking for steals and acorns, but damm, we have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. That is where the blue chip players are located.
I hope they are sending the whole scouting department to look at players that can help us immediately and could have pro bowl potential.
This honey badger might be a great player, but he is carrying some baggage. We must draft players that are intelligent and have a track record of great performance.
Note to Irelands minions trolling the web sites for player suggestions...we need play making WR's(2), CB's(1), safety(1), DE(1).

WVDolphan
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
potential late round steal here fellas...nickle corner with serious ball skills and a real nose for the football in all facets...the ball finds him...

Completely agree. I wouldnt let this kid out of the 3rd round. Despite the fact he may play nickel, he has playmaking ability that is rare. Thats really all this defense needs..... guys who can make big impact plays. Sacks and turnovers. This kid is a ball hawk. Id get him on the field as often as possible.

Phinatic8u
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
In the new era of the NFL you need as many corners you can get your hands on.

Yeah he smokes some weed, hell most everybody on this fourm does as well, including myself, don't let that effect you scouting.

Dude makes plays, and in the nickel he would be a beast.

Miamifinz
01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Would absolutely use a third or fourth on him. Take a chance.

aquaman54
01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think he slips to late rounds(5/6/7). A risk taker like the 'Pats will snag him @ 3 or 4. I agree with some of you 'Fellas though. I have doubts Philbin is willing to risk it. I think I would at 3 or 4.

madmic21
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Weed graps some folks different then others. So that is a concern believe me I have seen it do some disastrous things as a high school coach. But if you feel as a scout what you have gained from interviews that the reward out ways the risk you get this guy in the third. I would not be shocked if someone jumps on him in the late 2nd.

motormouthmaz
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Listen this should not be a debate. We have so many picks in the second and third round we must draft him. This is the kid of risk we need to take if we want to get to the next level. We have to trust our coaches and our players to keep him in line if we draft him keep marshall and carroll and sign a Fa cb thats cost a little less we will inrpove our secondary and save most for other holes we need to ffill thoughts?

mnphinfan
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM

Hoops, I've never really watched alot of film on him but what would you say about converting him to a FS? I know that he is only 5'9" but he never shy's away from contact and has just an uncanny knack at making plays/turnovers. Also and probably just as important, does he have the mental fortitude upstairs to play FS? Just a question I have always wondered, expecially now that Clemons is expected to be a FA. If he is there with our 2nd 3rd round pick I wouldn't be unhappy in the least with the selection.

Johnstone
01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Go get him. He's a very talented player. If we can have Jimmy Wilson, who shot someone, on the team; than we can have this kid. I like him, he sounds motivated. He sounds like he has something to prove. Go get him.

NorFlaFin
01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I'll pass, I've worked with too many addicts to believe the bullshiit hes spewing.

Kdawg954
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Not before round 4.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

madmic21
01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
I'll pass, I've worked with too many addicts to believe the bullshiit hes spewing.

A valid point.

NoblePhin
01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
should of just kept vontae

scodoublet
01-24-2013, 04:15 PM
puff, puff, pass on him!

Ikema
01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Good, let New England pick him up after the fourth round. There due to make a serious mistake on the way to their crumble. The man can't play if he suspended. I've seen too many of these types jump in someone's window and go to jail instead of play football. T

DeathStar
01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
A playmaker! Id take a chance...

petefins
01-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Because the rehab centers are just filled with people addicted to weed.. Please.

It doesn't grip you like coke or heroine. Keep in mind these are young boys who are stars at their universities. He had some fun and made some unwise decisions. He says he's changed for the better and is going in the right direction. Why not believe him. Not like you can't drug test him and see if he's lying. High-risk, High-reward.

DolfanGator
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
I understand he has great special teams ability. I'm just not so sure that his Honey Badger name and hype haven't over valued him as a corner. Janoris Jenkins from my gators was a similar case, but he was CLEARLY one of the top corners/players in the country without all of the hype.

I'd take a laaaaate round flier... But doubt some team won't reach thinking they can change him.

Phins117
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Steal at 3 or 4

mfish41
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
We could and have made worse decisions with our third/fourth round picks if we were to select this guy. He was an outstanding returner along with the ability to get turnovers; i wouldn't be upset with this selection.

Phinatic8u
01-24-2013, 05:19 PM
:lol:

Weed is not a drug that "****s" your mind up. Me and my old man smoke it regularly and we co-own a business and both are very successful at our job.

It's not gonna make him go crazy and beat his women or kill somebody.

IT'S ****ING MARIJUANA

Roman529
01-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Hopefully he has grown up.....who hasn't done a little weed in college? I think his 5'9" height worries me, but LSU has cranked out a lot of good Corners. He is worth taking a look at.

finfan54
01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
They will do their due diligence. Investigate, interview, interview again, piss test him, have a guy with bino's across the street from him everywhere, check his eyeballs....

then double up at CB on draft day! lol

tcdrover
01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
He's undersized, has repeated off the field issues and has a nick name.

What will he be like when he has money in the bank?

rob19
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM

:lol::lol: addicted to weed :lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vpin9VhNck

petefins
01-24-2013, 05:38 PM
:lol::lol: addicted to weed :lol::lol:

Thank you

BigScuingili
01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Someone takes a flier on him earlier than rd 3....

DeathStar
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
He's undersized, has repeated off the field issues and has a nick name.

What will he be like when he has money in the bank?

A nick name is a negative now?

Awsi Dooger
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
He can't be a late round steal because he'll never make it to the late rounds. I have no idea where he's rated but that doesn't matter. I've seen this type of situation time and again over the decades, enough to trust my instincts. If it's a troubled playmaker but not someone with a heavy criminal or substance abuse background, they always go earlier than expected. Wherever you think he'll go, raise it one full round and you'll be closer to accurate.

Tureo
01-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Weed is not his issue. It's something beyond weed. Everyone who knows anything about him knows that.

DudeleBroski
01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Weed is not his issue. It's something beyond weed. Everyone who knows anything about him knows that.

Care to fill us in on the info you have?

SizzlingFins04
01-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Actually its weed and only weed. A friend of mines knows him personally who went and played football at LSU who also happens to smoke weed as well and has smoked multiple times with tyrann. Sorry bro but good try.

allsilverdreams
01-24-2013, 08:45 PM
the whole scout team?WOW i hope they send them all for players that have a real future after they get drafted

DKphin
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
:rolleyes2:Nothing like going after the player with the worst character in draft

J Tes
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
:lol:

Weed is not a drug that "****s" your mind up. Me and my old man smoke it regularly and we co-own a business and both are very successful at our job.

It's not gonna make him go crazy and beat his women or kill somebody.

IT'S ****ING MARIJUANA

Only problem with that is the NFL has this random drug testing system and they sort of frown upon failing those. Whether it messes with your mind or leads to other illegal activity is irrelevant

Pitbull13
01-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Jimmy Wilson? :err:

cullenbigcstill
01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
So he smokes weed, most of the players do that on the college level anyways. Atleast he's not doing harder stuff or stupid stuff like spice! A lot of us Fin fans love Ricky Williams and we forgave him.....I'm sure alot of the posters on here smoke weed, and the simple fact thhat its in the early stages of becomming legalized it shouldnt be a deal breaker. Give the young man some help and direction. The military is filled with former pot smokers and we got some of the best and brightest professionals the world has ever seen, and we also have some of the worst as well......anyhow......

The dude is a talent, and if he can become a professional we would have us a stud. He's dynamic, and that is the type of player we lack! He comes in and starts in our nickel package right now, maybe allows us to release Marshall. He's got great size agility and quickness for the slot corner. Jimmy Wilson doesnt have the skill set that the Honey Badger posses. He would instantly become our best 3rd corner since Terrel Buckley. The man makes plays in the SEC. There's probably no way he is available after the middle of the 3rd round, he's too talented. He also has surrounded himself with better people and sitting out of football probably has made him hungry.....someone will draft him high and they will have stole a superior corner, i really hope its not an AFC East team.

cullenbigcstill
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Just to note when I mentioned great size for the slot, that's not stating he has great size for the boundary. I Don't want big corners in the slot, give me the shorter, quicker, agile guy who can cover and also has the ability to take it away and take it to the house!

Kdawg954
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Now I thought I read the kid was in treatment for weed, heroin and meth when he was kicked off the LSU team. It's only weed now?

Anyways, it's not a matter of being addicted to weed, we all know weed ain't **** . . . but politics aside, it's something that is against the rules and he has shown his decision making to be poor in regards to that . . . and this is at a college level, where it's far easier to get away with than on the pro level.

I still say not until day 3 . . . those first 3 rounds you can get playmakers, ones that have proven to be reliable for their respective college teams. Not only that, HoneyBadger is a bit overrated w/o the off the field stuff . . . he surely had an amazing year 2 years ago, but he lacks size and he isn't all world in coverage. He is a ballhawk tho and we certainly can use that in the secondary.

cullenbigcstill
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I was unaware of the other stuff.....maybe the Meth is what helped him have thick skin...just kidding.