PDA

View Full Version : OT Eric Fisher...may be better than Luke Joeckel

Roman529
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
For one thing Joeckel has a baby face.....Fisher looks like a man who has done hard time in jail. :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/01/3325xjm-1.jpg http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/01/123y72w-1.jpg

Just look at the way Fisher (#79), manhandles these corn-fed Iowa Hawkeye defenders....really good feet, size, strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Feds4__59A

finfan54
01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
If he is then we need to get Datone Jones.

PSU Cane
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Fisher is a nice prospect, but i think Joekel is head and shoulders above him.

WestSideFin
01-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Fisher just owned everybody at the senior bowl practice. The DE jones from ucla was the only one to get close to getting by him otherwise fisher did Not let a soul by him. Looks to be a Beast!

Digital
01-24-2013, 10:31 PM
He kinda reminds me of Joe Staley ... which isn't a bad thing at all.

Valandui
01-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Meet our first round pick, guys.

finfan54
01-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Meet our first round pick, guys.

could very well be....

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/24/3199441/jake-long-outcome-with-miami-dolphins.html

cane6
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Pat Kirwan is a tard. Is he serious about franchising J. Long at $15mm? Did he not watch him play last year?

ThrowDaTD
01-25-2013, 01:53 AM
He kinda reminds me of Joe Staley ... which isn't a bad thing at all.

Digital, how do you compare Fisher to the current Jake Long, as well as with Jonathan Martin.

PSU Cane
01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd be just as happy to trade back and take Lane Johnson while also picking up an additional pick. That guy is athletic just like Fisher (not as experienced or polished though) and plays with a nasty streak. Plus, he has experience playing both LT and RT, so he can swing for us depending on which position Martin is able to lock down.

Or if the Phins use Jake's money to pursue Vollmer in FA (and he's not tagged), we could still trade back and get J. Cooper and really fix the Oline, while still picking up an extra 2 or 3 to use on WRs and CBs.

mfish41
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
I swear the offensive line has turned into a money/draftpick pit. There has to be a more efficient way to address the line than keep spending high picks on guys.

madmic21
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
The line is a huge piece to any team and I am a firm believer in making it really good. Look at the teams that underachieved this year, almost all of them had severe oline issues. Eagles- they had a bunch of issues but the Online was awful, Cowboys, Bears, Packers, Jets-see Eagles, Chargers, Steelers-old too. Outside of losing a starting QB or not having one, nothing derails a season line a bad Oline.

Its not like we have not tried to put pieces together outside of early picks, just nothing has hit. Maybe my main complaint is that we have never really made an effort late in rounds to find somebody to play. We kind of have it a little backward in that regard last years draft for example would have been a good time to take another RT. If he flashes then you have some flexavility in sending JM to LT this year...

We are going to lose Long because he will get paid, and most don't care but part of builiding a team is either figuring out how to keep your talent or replacing them. Bad thing about us is we need talent and need to replace talent, a bad combination.

I am going to look at it this way. We have Martin and Jerry worst case scenario for next year. 1. Hope that there is nobody on the line worth taking a 12. 2. Hope that there is a playmaker WR, DB, DE, LB, FS at 12 and we decide hey round 1 OL picks have not been super crucial to getting to be a winner, (because we are not winning) maybe we should change it up and address LT/RT later.

PSU Cane
01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
I swear the offensive line has turned into a money/draftpick pit. There has to be a more efficient way to address the line than keep spending high picks on guys.

I posted this in another thread....

Some teams have found value later in the draft, but the top teams this year have bookend tackles taken high.

Patriots - Solder (1), Vollmer (2)
Baltimore - McKinnie (1), Oher (1)
SF - Staley (1), Davis (1)
Falcons - Baker (1), Clabo (udfa)....also have 2 2nd rounders in Konz/Blalock at guard.
Broncos - Clady (1), Franklin (2)
Seattle - Okung (1), Giacomini (5)
Green Bay - Newhouse (5), Barclay (udfa).....and their line is a disaster and one of the biggest reasons they struggled this year

As you can see, the best teams in the league have spent high picks to protect their QB, and with good reason.

madmic21
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I posted this in another thread....

Some teams have found value later in the draft, but the top teams this year have bookend tackles taken high.

Patriots - Solder (1), Vollmer (2)
Baltimore - McKinnie (1), Oher (1)
SF - Staley (1), Davis (1)
Falcons - Baker (1), Clabo (udfa)....also have 2 2nd rounders in Konz/Blalock at guard.
Broncos - Clady (1), Franklin (2)
Seattle - Okung (1), Giacomini (5)
Green Bay - Newhouse (5), Barclay (udfa).....and their line is a disaster and one of the biggest reasons they struggled this year

As you can see, the best teams in the league have spent high picks to protect their QB, and with good reason.

DaTruth made a good point in the other thread against this. I agree with both of you in some degree. As I posted in another thread though look what ****ty line play has done to some teams that were considered if not at least contenders pretty good teams. PAckers, Bears, Cowboys, Chargers. Just to name the obvious. All have good enough QBs, RBs, WR, and somewhat Defenses.

Hayden Fox
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
One way to get renovations at Sun Life is to draft a tackle...the stadium will burnt down to the ground by fans.

Valandui
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
The problem is that you aren't gaining anything by replacing a former first round pick on the OL with another first round pick. You're stagnating, especially when you can get quality tackles later in the draft.

madmic21
01-25-2013, 08:08 PM
The problem is that you aren't gaining anything by replacing a former first round pick on the OL with another first round pick. You're stagnating, especially when you can get quality tackles later in the draft.

Fine let Long walk, then replace him with a crap shoot mid round pick that may or not be there. Possible yes, but huge risk lets just remember this philosophy when we bash our front office when this fails. Its just not that easy that is why I have so much issue with the constant basher here. These are tough decisions that is why I am in favor of tagging Long AS AN OPTION. Then you take that mid round risk see what you have, while remaining cap flexible. Also using early picks on playmaker positions and players. 15 million is a lot but you are paying for a capable player, allowing a mid round pick to be developed and evaluated, keeping money options for 2014 and beyond. These are the decisions you must consider to build your roster in a responsible way that maximizes the resources you have on your roster, in the draft, and money you have.

finfan54
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
One way to get renovations at Sun Life is to draft a tackle...the stadium will burnt down to the ground by fans.

No it wont because last year is way way different from this year.

you tell me people will burn something down because they didnt get Allen but ended up with say...Wheaton and Bailey? Sorry. not buying it. It wont burn down unless we whiff on draft picks period. Meaning Egnew. not seeing it.

finfan54
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM

younger version of the same guy for much cheaper than when he signed. Stagnant? You solve your problem there for ten years....provided he doesnt get injured.

Valandui
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Martin is better at LT than he is at RT. We should leave him there and draft a mid round RT or sign one in FA. We don't need to keep throwing high picks at the OL. Remember, Jake Long supposedly fixed the LT position for ten years and he was the first overall pick.

Valandui
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I also don't know why the "Breaking" tag is on my last post.

Pinkboy
01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
From what i saw of senior bowl practices Fisher looked terrific

fanfin
01-26-2013, 01:59 PM
I like Lane Johnson LT from Oklahoma more than both. They might be a tad bit more polished but Johnson at 6'6 302 can run a 4.7 40 and has some of the best feet I have ever seen on a tackle. He was recruited as a 6'6 202 QB to oklahoma who moved to TE and DE and then LT. Can also play right side and can easily add 15-20 lbs to his frame. Joeckel is #2 and Fisher is a close #3. I would say all 3 are top 10 talent in this weak draft class