PDA

View Full Version : CB, Darius Slay, Mississippi State

Roman529
01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't think Sean Smith is worth re-signing, especially if he is wanting $7 million a season. I think Smith has gotten a little better, but we need d-backs who can make picks and force turnovers. Some guys just seem to be ball hawks, like Ed Reed, and then you have other guys like Smith who can't catch a cold.

Anyways, I think a guy like Darius Slay, of Mississippi State would be a nice fit. I like his size....I think he is around 6'1" 200 pounds, and he knows how to make INT's and can really run with the ball. There are some nice vids of him out there....check out this INT against Georgia where he goes up in traffic to snag the ball and then runs down the sideline. He has great speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgWG4H6j-0

hooshoops
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
my problem with slay is he's slow...and it shows itself pretty regularly on tape...slow corner for the boundary

Roman529
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
my problem with slay is he's slow...and it shows itself pretty regularly on tape...slow corner for the boundary

I wouldn't call him slow...he doesn't run a 4.4 ....but he usually times in at 4.55 or better. I think having good instincts and being able to break on the ball is the key thing. He doesn't get the attention that Johnthan Banks gets, but he did lead the team with 5 picks.

hooshoops
01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
off what i have seen i'm betting he's closer to 4.6

dolfin530
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't think slay is slow. I bet he will run a 4.47

Roman529
01-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think slay is slow. I bet he will run a 4.47

You can't measure a CB just by his 40-yard speed. You have to check out how he does in the cone drills, can he backpeddle, what is his vertical leap, can he tackle, does he have good instincts?. Slay also runs back punts for Mississippi State...he has probably moved up the boards as fast as anyone from where he was at last year. I would want a guy who continues to get better....like Slay.

hooshoops
01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
if he's reportedly running low 4.5's during his training once he gets to indy i bet that # jumps about a tenth...see guys all the time say they are running something in predraft prep come to indy and drop a tenth slower #...some tracks are notoriously fast also...indy isn't one of em

dolfin530
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
You can't measure a CB just by his 40-yard speed. You have to check out how he does in the cone drills, can he backpeddle, what is his vertical leap, can he tackle, does he have good instincts?. Slay also runs back punts for Mississippi State...he has probably moved up the boards as fast as anyone from where he was at last year. I would want a guy who continues to get better....like Slay.

I agree, I was just saying he doesn't seem slow.